Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] PreAlpha CTF-CampersCrossing remake

Hey,
    In every UT from UT99 to UT3 i have started maps but never finished one, not ONE!
    So, ive decided to make it as easy as possible for myself this time with a remake, CTF-CampersCrossing from UT2004 made by GIdenJoe (i never played the quake version).

Click image for larger version

Name:	CC_20140801.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	368.1 KB
ID:	353051

This is just a BSP to test Scale and movement nothing more.
    I didnt copy and paste this one instead i played the map in UT2004 and roughly translated a JumpDodge for a Dodge, kinda.

The lighting is a bit screwed up but im more interested in how it feels to move around at this time.

Please have a go and post feedback in this thread.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2/CTF-CC_4.zip
    Last edited by Wowbagger; 08-17-2014, 04:16 AM. Reason: New version, added YT link

Fixed the lighting, added the rest of the weapons and cleaned it up a bit.

Heres a runthrough of the map.

Comment

It's a good map and you are on the right track I guess. You could maybe (completely) rethink the middle area tho, it feels kinda tiny compared to the rest and especially the original. More armor/health spread and berserk or amp in mid would be complementing, but I guess that comes later anyway.

Comment

Yea i agree that the middle feels small, in fact, flag to flag time is a bit short too compared to UT2004.
        Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

One of the best CTF Maps in UT2004. I wish you much success with it!

A 1:1 translation won't work out though. I remember CTF-Grendelkeep for UT3, which was ...OK. But the map felt nowhere near the brilliant perfection which the original (in my opinion) had. I think it's because the map needs to be redesigned specifically for the movement- and weapon-dynamic the new game offers. So a remake should never aim to be 1:1 but rather be an evolution of the original. I think DM-Deck or even CTF-FacingWorlds can be good examples of how the map changes drastically along with the game.

That being said, I trust you will make the choices that feel right to you, and I hope something will come out of it! Booya!

Comment

Originally posted by FliccC View Post
            One of the best CTF Maps in UT2004. I wish you much success with it!

A 1:1 translation won't work out though. I remember CTF-Grendelkeep for UT3, which was ...OK. But the map felt nowhere near the brilliant perfection which the original (in my opinion) had. I think it's because the map needs to be redesigned specifically for the movement- and weapon-dynamic the new game offers. So a remake should never aim to be 1:1 but rather be an evolution of the original. I think DM-Deck or even CTF-FacingWorlds can be good examples of how the map changes drastically along with the game.

That being said, I trust you will make the choices that feel right to you, and I hope something will come out of it! Booya!
            I agree with you (about Grendel too).
            Thats why i didnt copy and paste the BSP.

That said, i feel its a bit too short atm since flag to flag time is really low.
            Im gonna try it this weekend with the new build which is supposed to be even faster.
            I dont wanna proceed before i know that the speed is atleast somewhat set.

Comment

you're missing jump pads in red base (i think it was red, it's one of them anyway)

Comment

Originally posted by raxxy View Post
                you're missing jump pads in red base (i think it was red, it's one of them anyway)
                I finally found out why this was, i made new RED jumppads and they didnt get packaged with the map.
                So every time i play the map on my PC it works but not for anyone else

Comment

Loved this map for 2k4! Would be great to see it back in UT4.

Comment

Hi, just for info.
                    That map was originally from Q3 that I remade for ut2004 in the flag pack coz I really liked quake back then and didn't have too much inspiration
                    I wasn't too content about it in hindsight (flagroom was way to square).

However I believe Z-axis is a little much for the flagrooms now since the scaling will be different in the new UT.

Comment

Originally posted by GIdenJoe View Post
                      Hi, just for info.
                      That map was originally from Q3 that I remade for ut2004 in the flag pack coz I really liked quake back then and didn't have too much inspiration
                      I wasn't too content about it in hindsight (flagroom was way to square).

However I believe Z-axis is a little much for the flagrooms now since the scaling will be different in the new UT.
                      Thats pretty cool, i really enjoyed that map in UT2004, well done

I agree on the squareness of the flagrooms.
                      Based on the feedback im working on making the middle larger and atm its completely round.
                      Maybe transfer that roundness to the flagrooms too, worth a try.

My goal, themewise, is to make it look VERY different compared to the original(s)
                      Last edited by Wowbagger; 08-17-2014, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Make it a good one eh

Comment

Looks great, my fav part is at 00:12 - 00:16.

Comment

Working...
                          X