No announcement yet.

DM-Hydraulics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wasn't even necessarily thinking about replacing an elevator directly in the same spot as it is now, but rather adding a ramp to one of the outer rooms somewhere, north side looks like a decent candidate maybe. This could be additional as opposed to sacrificing an elevator for it elsewhere, but at that point I think you are better served testing that out once you have the shell up and running (to properly figure out wether or not you have too much/too little connectivity between floors etc).

To answer the paper block out question - a bit of both really. Sometimes I start with a sketch idea for a room and go from there (i.e. DM-Spacer started that way). Other times I have a rough sketch for the broad strokes of the entire layout or no sketches whatsoever and I start with a basic idea that I have in my head and just jump right in (DM-SidCastle). In the end no matter which way I start designing a level it always ends up deviating from the original idea or plan once I start shelling the map. Actually translating something into 3d space will usually lead to different ideas, expose problems that aren't apparent from the start and so on.

Having a strong plan is good, but theory-crafting will only get you so far. Building things and actually running around in it makes it or brakes it in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Clawfist View Post
      I wasn't even necessarily thinking about replacing an elevator directly in the same spot as it is now, but rather adding a ramp to one of the outer rooms somewhere, north side looks like a decent candidate maybe. This could be additional as opposed to sacrificing an elevator for it elsewhere, but at that point I think you are better served testing that out once you have the shell up and running (to properly figure out wether or not you have too much/too little connectivity between floors etc).

To answer the paper block out question - a bit of both really. Sometimes I start with a sketch idea for a room and go from there (i.e. DM-Spacer started that way). Other times I have a rough sketch for the broad strokes of the entire layout or no sketches whatsoever and I start with a basic idea that I have in my head and just jump right in (DM-SidCastle). In the end no matter which way I start designing a level it always ends up deviating from the original idea or plan once I start shelling the map. Actually translating something into 3d space will usually lead to different ideas, expose problems that aren't apparent from the start and so on.

Having a strong plan is good, but theory-crafting will only get you so far. Building things and actually running around in it makes it or brakes it in the end.
      Interesting ! In my previous blockouts it pretty much always turned out way different than the original plan, but this time I did put more effort into planning. Currently downloading the UE4, will start to block today. Hope I'll have a first shell ready by monday and then iterate on it with the feedback of the community.

EDIT: I can maybe add a ramp like in Hyperblast in the north section, will have to adapt the underground to allow it.
      Last edited by Raste; 08-15-2014, 04:41 AM.
      RASTE IN PEACE !
      Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
      Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

Hit the editor. Few things have changed since the UE3 but didn't need much time to adapt. Focused today on getting the ground floor blocked out as I designed it on paper. I already made a few changes but I will finish blocking the whole map and then iterate to improve it. This is a very rough first pass, hopefully it will be done in no time !

Attached Files
        Last edited by Raste; 08-15-2014, 05:30 PM.
        RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Looking like it's coming together nicely. Good work!
          MyArtstation
          @jayoplus

Comment

The first pass is taking more time than I thought. Silly how with 2D plans you forget about connecting the floors together in the Y axis ! Anyway this is coming along pretty close to what I imagined. I still have to block the underground, finish the control center and think about items distribution to finish the first pass. I worked quite hard on volumes and will have to improve a lot: many places have too high ceilings for example. Once I'm done with this I will start figuring out the trick jumping.

Attached Files
            Last edited by Raste; 08-17-2014, 10:50 AM.
            RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Nice progress!

One thing that's becoming a bit more apparent now in shell form is that you have some really long sight lines along those side rooms, you might want to consider breaking those up a bit more. Maybe introduce some more alternating height within those side floors and towards the center (which I think you already have going in your sketch/shell but could maybe even be increased a little bit (250-500 range). Like you mentioned though, ceilings are a tad high on the outskirts right now so it's hard to really gauge the scale of the distance without running around in it.

Looking forward to seeing where you go with this!

Comment

Originally posted by Clawfist View Post
                Nice progress!

One thing that's becoming a bit more apparent now in shell form is that you have some really long sight lines along those side rooms, you might want to consider breaking those up a bit more. Maybe introduce some more alternating height within those side floors and towards the center (which I think you already have going in your sketch/shell but could maybe even be increased a little bit (250-500 range). Like you mentioned though, ceilings are a tad high on the outskirts right now so it's hard to really gauge the scale of the distance without running around in it.

Looking forward to seeing where you go with this!
                Thanks ! The sight lines are indeed very long and need some clamping. That's another thingy I will have to think about. The ceilings will most likely have a lot of decorations to fit the theme (pipes running everywhere) and will offer many opportunities to reduce the ceiling's height as well. I will probably be done with the first pass tomorrow after 3 days of work. I will upload the .umap then.

Today I worked almost exclusively on the underground which turned out to be one room I wanted to put there and the rest just came with it in the editor. I really wanted that a player can see the water exchanger from every floor: seems to be working ! You can shoot people from any floor but since you are in the middle you take high risks, but for good opportunities. I hope this will work. Here is the underground:

I also had to change my designs for the ramp that ties the ground floor to the underground:

Since this place might get camped from above, I added the flak cannon since it's so good at destroying people indoors. If you go further along the passage you will find the bio rifle to attack the location of the flak cannon from the underground. The weapon placement is getting very clear, still need to place the rocket launcher and the link gun.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Raste; 08-18-2014, 11:39 AM.
                RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Finally done with the first version of the underground. I added the rocket launcher room with it's curved staircase that leads to a portal (still have to figure out how to make that thing work). The screenshot bottom-right is the hallway to go the the ramp that goes to the ground level. Here I finally got a chance to get inspiration from Tempest. I also added / blueprinted / animated all the elevators as well as the jump pads. Overall I'm starting to like this map.

Attached Files
                  Last edited by Raste; 08-19-2014, 10:36 AM.
                  RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

First video preview (updated also the original post). I've been working a bit more on the ceilings' height and it's starting to improve. Since static meshes for decoration might eat up a lot of place I'd rather have something pretty large in the shell. I'll keep on improving the layout now and do iterations. I still have to enable that teleporter next to the rocket launcher !

All feedback is welcome !
                    Last edited by Raste; 08-20-2014, 09:08 AM.
                    RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

1. arena map shouldn't have dead ends like that one with rocket launcher
                      2. this map is big and multi level so it's not good for 1v1 or 2v2, if we look on big number of players we will see lack of transport bettwen the levels.
                      3. Jump boosts are in so open areas that you could just stand and wait for someone to get easy target

In my view you should remove that lowest lvl with rocket launcher, add more stairs and jump boosts. there should be more clear view bettwen platforms. Those jump boost should be in more random places o map.

Comment

Originally posted by pR8 View Post
                        1. arena map shouldn't have dead ends like that one with rocket launcher
                        2. this map is big and multi level so it's not good for 1v1 or 2v2, if we look on big number of players we will see lack of transport bettwen the levels.
                        3. Jump boosts are in so open areas that you could just stand and wait for someone to get easy target

In my view you should remove that lowest lvl with rocket launcher, add more stairs and jump boosts. there should be more clear view bettwen platforms. Those jump boost should be in more random places o map.
                        1. There is a portal there, so it's not a dead-end. The only reason I don't show it in the video is because I haven't found how to make the portal work yet.
                        2. Would have to play-test it to be sure, but all levels have a lot of connectivity, I don't really see how I could improve it. But I'll take this into account for the next passes of improvement.
                        3. This can easily be modified / improved on.

I could convert the lift from the underground to the ground level that brings you in front of the lift for the top floor into staircases. Would have to make an intermediate level featuring health packs or something. Finally the map is not that big. Of course it's not suitable for duel but I'm pretty confident that for DM or TDM with 6 to 16 people it works nicely.

Thanks for the feedback !
                        Last edited by Raste; 08-20-2014, 11:46 AM.
                        RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Excellent concept of having a very tiered/vertical map. However, I feel that there is a notable lack of smooth, non-combat breaking transitions between the floors, aside from falling to a lower level. The Rocket Launcher being so excluded is not good for the flow of the map, I'd add some type of other ramp or entrance, as that will aid very strongly in the map's flow and ease of traversing. Also, another ramp will prevent it from becoming a very commonly used camping spot.
                          Change for the worse, and you regret every moment.
                          Change for the better, and you can't live without it.
                          Having the will to embrace change is the real challenge.
                          --Captain Crit

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Crit View Post
                            Excellent concept of having a very tiered/vertical map. However, I feel that there is a notable lack of smooth, non-combat breaking transitions between the floors, aside from falling to a lower level. The Rocket Launcher being so excluded is not good for the flow of the map, I'd add some type of other ramp or entrance, as that will aid very strongly in the map's flow and ease of traversing. Also, another ramp will prevent it from becoming a very commonly used camping spot.
                            I have a few ideas on how to improve the transitions between the floors. The main issue is between the underground and the ground levels. I will keep one lift but remove the other and use staircases splitting into two exits instead. Also I could place the rocket launcher in the middle of the underground and keep the old location of the rocket launcher for a mega health pack for example.

Very good feedback ! Big thanks

EDIT:
                            Started to work on some ideas to lower the ceiling's height. With the static meshes it won't be an issue anymore. Here I've been testing how to cut a bit the lines of sight by using the theme of the map to avoid very long corridors.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Raste; 08-21-2014, 05:25 AM.
                            RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

A general opinion, and idea. Changing the Rocket Launcher to a Keg can cause for a bigger reason to camp there. However, what if that room is a trap or something? As in, the room is a storage vat which stores some type of hazardous fluid (toxic waste or acid), and it opens up each time the Keg has spawned, empty. However, when someone grabs the Keg or lingers around for too long (latter prevents camping), the room will start to fill with hazardous fluid until the Keg respawns.

The corridors are still fairly long, even with some natural breaking up of spaces. I'd consider adding items such as crates or other terrain to provide some cover and break up the hallways a bit.
                              Change for the worse, and you regret every moment.
                              Change for the better, and you can't live without it.
                              Having the will to embrace change is the real challenge.
                              --Captain Crit

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Crit View Post
                                A general opinion, and idea. Changing the Rocket Launcher to a Keg can cause for a bigger reason to camp there. However, what if that room is a trap or something? As in, the room is a storage vat which stores some type of hazardous fluid (toxic waste or acid), and it opens up each time the Keg has spawned, empty. However, when someone grabs the Keg or lingers around for too long (latter prevents camping), the room will start to fill with hazardous fluid until the Keg respawns.

The corridors are still fairly long, even with some natural breaking up of spaces. I'd consider adding items such as crates or other terrain to provide some cover and break up the hallways a bit.
                                Weapon and powerups placement will be modified. It should solve the problems of the Keg. Also I have already one trap in the map, two will make the map cheap for competitive players.

About the corridors, look at the other maps: they all feature bigger distances than the ones I have in this map. It also was the case in UT99 (hallway in Turbine, from platform to platform in Morpheus, Deck16's middle section is completely opened up). As I stated in the previous posts I plan on making an open map that's not all about vertical action nor a succession of small rooms because there will be tons of these already and I don't find them that attractive as a UT player. I'll keep this map as open as I can.

The corrections I will bring are the following: check the ceilings' height, add one more ramp style access and place as much trick/lift jumping as I can without making the whole map only about this.
                                RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Working...
                                X