No announcement yet.

DM-Hydraulics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a quick update on the work I've been carrying out the last few days. Started to play with lights and mood, opened up spaces, added a few jump tricks, added a sky and some basic textures. It's a lot of experimentation and it takes an awful lot of time. I would really appreciate getting feedback on these changes. I still have layout adaptations to do, but in the end the map is not that huge (which is good )

Attached Files
    RASTE IN PEACE !
    Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
    Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

IMHO it's looking very nice, but I think another sky could fit better. For example a nightsky with lots of stars and a bright moon(for example visible in the area of the bottom left screen).

Comment

Looks Great. However I too think a darker sky would fit the UT theme more accurately. Perhaps a night sky with stars/moons/planets or a daytime sky with a different colored atmosphere - Red like on mars or something like that. The clear blue sky feels too "earthy".
        Last edited by Lyrik; 08-25-2014, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyrik View Post
          Look Great. However I too think a darker sky would fit the UT theme more accurately. Perhaps a night sky with stars/moons/planets or a daytime sky with a different colored atmosphere - Red like on mars or something like that. The clear blue sky feels too "earthy".
          I use the default sky at the moment, tweaks will be possible
          RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

A day time sky could work well with the nice shadowing effects also. I don't think a moon should / could make profound shadowing such as this. Really a matter more of the preference of the level designer.

Cool concept & great looking map BTW.
            UOF Admin / Map pack(s) instigator, coordinator, contributor.

Comment

I definitely agree with the idea of a starry sky. I imagine this being somewhere in space. I know you're just using the default sky as a placeholder, though. Definitely love the map so far, it looks great! I hope to die repeatedly in it someday. XD

Comment

Originally posted by Rhizy27 View Post
                I definitely agree with the idea of a starry sky. I imagine this being somewhere in space. I know you're just using the default sky as a placeholder, though. Definitely love the map so far, it looks great! I hope to die repeatedly in it someday. XD
                I wasn't going to go for a night / starry sky, but since more and more people are suggesting it I'm thinking about it. Maybe a dark sun type of sky with dynamic nothern lights ? With some stars and a shattered moon somewhere. But still, I need a sky that could appear on a planet that has tons of water since the whole map is a hydraulic energy plant.
                RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

In the bottom left screen I see you have windows a the right side. Maybe there could be an ocean outside(could looking awesome with the recflection auf the stars), the sky could be very cloudy or you have some rain droping in at the top area.

Comment

Is there a download link for this somewhere in the thread, and I'm just missing it? I'd like to try this out. Plz sharez
                    David Spalinski
                    @spazinski
                    Epic Games

Comment

Originally posted by David Spalinski View Post
                      Is there a download link for this somewhere in the thread, and I'm just missing it? I'd like to try this out. Plz sharez
                      I did not put a link indeed. I wanted to wait until the basic layout is done, but since you ask so kindly here you go
                      http://bit.ly/1ANCTdz

There is still much to be done, mainly weapon placement (since I've been quite heavily modifying the layout), rework a bit the spaces, clean and polish the brushes as well a making a full pass to add trick jumping. I'll make a video when the layout is done to get feedback from the community. So far the community has been very helpful !

Let me know if there is everything in the .umap file. I've been adding a few static meshes and blueprints for the elevators.

EDIT: I'm updating the archive with the .uassets required for the lifts. Hope everything needed is in there !
                      Last edited by Raste; 08-25-2014, 05:56 PM.
                      RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Originally posted by Raste View Post
                        I wasn't going to go for a night / starry sky, but since more and more people are suggesting it I'm thinking about it. Maybe a dark sun type of sky with dynamic nothern lights ? With some stars and a shattered moon somewhere. But still, I need a sky that could appear on a planet that has tons of water since the whole map is a hydraulic energy plant.
                        Now THAT sounds cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhizy27 View Post
                          Now THAT sounds cool.
                          Now I only have to figure out a way to create that haha. Sweet, I love to experiment ! Also here's a quick update:

I've been busy reworking the layout of the map according to the feedback given. On these two first images we can see the top floor being reworked to have more covers. I made a first pass of lift/trick jumping to access the armor and small health packs quickly. The top floor now has 4 ways of access: lift, 2 jump pads and the destination of the teleporter (which works now).

In the room on the left there was a way too long line of sight. Hence I closed the access to machine gun location and opened behind the camera here a new route leading to the underground level (see pictures below). By closing this room the machine gun room was a dead end, hence I removed the shock rifle and opened a new way to access it through a small hallway (right image with blue lighting).

Someone also said that the lift jumping was too open and the lack of connectivity between the ground and underground levels could lead to camping. So complementary to the ramp I have removed one of the lifts going to the underground level and added another route from the ground level. It features two stair cases and a lift (all leading to the underground level). The lift can be used to access the belt shield with lift jumping.

The map now features unique feel for each location and it's easy for a player to quickly identify where he/she is. Most of the map turns around the water exchanger which is exactly what I wanted. In a near future I still have some work to do to make it all fit together nicely as well as finish the layout of the machine gun room. I also will have to think about items' distribution since the layout changed quite a lot. I'll make a new video then. In the mean time, feel free to give feedback so I can keep improving the map ! The download link has been added to the original post and is currently featuring the latest version.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Raste; 08-25-2014, 06:29 PM.
                          RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Originally posted by Raste View Post
                            Now I only have to figure out a way to create that haha. Sweet, I love to experiment ! Also here's a quick update:

I've been busy reworking the layout of the map according to the feedback given. On these two first images we can see the top floor being reworked to have more covers. I made a first pass of lift/trick jumping to access the armor and small health packs quickly. The top floor now has 4 ways of access: lift, 2 jump pads and the destination of the teleporter (which works now).

In the room on the left there was a way too long line of sight. Hence I closed the access to machine gun location and opened behind the camera here a new route leading to the underground level (see pictures below). By closing this room the machine gun room was a dead end, hence I removed the shock rifle and opened a new way to access it through a small hallway (right image with blue lighting).

Someone also said that the lift jumping was too open and the lack of connectivity between the ground and underground levels could lead to camping. So complementary to the ramp I have removed one of the lifts going to the underground level and added another route from the ground level. It features two stair cases and a lift (all leading to the underground level). The lift can be used to access the belt shield with lift jumping.

The map now features unique feel for each location and it's easy for a player to quickly identify where he/she is. Most of the map turns around the water exchanger which is exactly what I wanted. In a near future I still have some work to do to make it all fit together nicely as well as finish the layout of the machine gun room. I also will have to think about items' distribution since the layout changed quite a lot. I'll make a new video then. In the mean time, feel free to give feedback so I can keep improving the map ! The download link has been added to the original post and is currently featuring the latest version.
                            Too complex and too large map. Connect map center with area around it, because u can walk around and u will newer come to map center. Players should go to main fight area. and 2 lifts is bad idea add some stairs or i dont know... and not in one place. players should come from 2 sides. it its tmdm map. and add some boxes in buttom right img.

Comment

Originally posted by Peon501 View Post
                              Too complex and too large map. Connect map center with area around it, because u can walk around and u will newer come to map center. Players should go to main fight area. and 2 lifts is bad idea add some stairs or i dont know... and not in one place. players should come from 2 sides. it its tmdm map. and add some boxes in buttom right img.
                              I don't believe the map to be too complex because you are always drawn to the center area. You only go to the areas around it to get more weapons or pickups and then you are very quickly back to the center. Imho the map is roughly as big as DM_Turbine or DM_Tempest which were my main inspirations for the map, so not that big. Bear in mind that this is the block layout and that adding static meshes will eat up a lot of space, hence reducing the real space you can actually use.

Also how come having 2 lifts is a bad idea (phoebos, galeon, deck16, etc. all have multiple lifts) ? They are not one right in front of the other and they are well separated. I also have to rework the locations of the weapons an pickups so that the players always end up in the middle or close to it. But somehow I believe this is already the case, but only play-testing will tell it for sure.

Have you tried the map ? Because I'm sure that if you do so you will see how the center of the map is heavily connected to the rest and how the action is automatically going to be there. Only from the pictures you cannot really see how a map works
                              Last edited by Raste; 08-26-2014, 10:15 AM.
                              RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Thanks for providing the download link. I had a weird issue yesterday where the PIE lighting was different from the normal editor viewport. Possibly just unbuilt lighting, I'll check it out again today.

IMO, two lifts is fine if there is reason to have two, or if it's just fun.
                                David Spalinski
                                @spazinski
                                Epic Games

Comment

Working...
                                X