DM-Hydraulics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey,

I played through your map a little bit and have some points to mention.

The spawnpoint near the two 25 health packs and the flak isnt very user friendly, I would move it on the other side of the room and look straight to the flak.
    The spawnpoint under belt also gives to many option, I would move it into the rocket room.
    Also the 100 Health keg and the belt are very near, maybe you can seperate them a little more? I'm not sure...

Also a thing I want to point out, the belt is really hard to reach with the current impact hammer. If you plan to insert a lift at the hole its propably fine, but still you will have the problem with the keg o health.
    I have another idea, as it seems you dont want belt to be easy accesible, you could think about lowering the platform and make it a little thinner. The player then needs to dodge+wallslide+walldodge, to get the health without hurting themself. That way you could actually use the new movement mechanics for a specific use, that would be great. I attached a video to demonstrate what I mean:

You can potentially go much further than I did in the video. Its just for demonstration purposes. People need a motivation to learn the new movement, and if mappers inplement it in their maps and give wallslide etc. a use, wallslide will be much more appreciated in the community. Also making belt only accesible via the impact hammer is a bad thing, someone who just started will never know how to get up there. Thats why I would add 2 options, the lift one and wallslide option.

Another thing that felt strange are the corridors( for example the one that moves down from beltroom to the room with the RL ), they dont appear to be in size for the map, its hard to say. I would make them wider, maybe they work better then, im not sure.

The rest of the map seems great, I hope we can play it online soon.
    Good luck!
    Attached Files
    Nonemms Music Thread DM-Lea(Youtube Soundcloud )
    Fabian Joosten - composer for media

Comment

In the game the Map comes also that is this I would be cool if you then could send this one to the developers for this one Pre Alpha i like Your Map i will Play it

Comment

Your video(s) look very nice. Personally, a lot of the ceilings seem kinda low for my tastes, but I have biased reasons for higher ceilings, so take that with grain of salt I guess.

Wish I could offer actual play-testing feedback, but I'm still not yet able to do so.

Good luck!

Originally posted by Raste View Post
        ... and, well... f*** crates
        #StopTheCrateHate!

Comment

Originally posted by R.Flagg View Post
          Your video(s) look very nice. Personally, a lot of the ceilings seem kinda low for my tastes, but I have biased reasons for higher ceilings, so take that with grain of salt I guess.

Wish I could offer actual play-testing feedback, but I'm still not yet able to do so.

Good luck!

#StopTheCrateHate!
          Ceilings are incredibly hard to nail in this map for some reason. I'll take your advice and try to have more variations in the height so it might open some cool tricks. If you can explain to me why you like high ceilings maybe I can implements this in a better way throughout the map.

Also the crates... I know... but meh

Originally posted by Nonemm View Post
          The spawnpoint near the two 25 health packs and the flak isnt very user friendly, I would move it on the other side of the room and look straight to the flak.
          The spawnpoint under belt also gives to many option, I would move it into the rocket room.
          Also the 100 Health keg and the belt are very near, maybe you can seperate them a little more? I'm not sure...
          Now that you say it, it looks a bit OP indeed. I will see what I can do to balance that.

Also a thing I want to point out, the belt is really hard to reach with the current impact hammer. If you plan to insert a lift at the hole its propably fine, but still you will have the problem with the keg o health.
          I have another idea, as it seems you dont want belt to be easy accesible, you could think about lowering the platform and make it a little thinner. The player then needs to dodge+wallslide+walldodge, to get the health without hurting themself. That way you could actually use the new movement mechanics for a specific use, that would be great. I attached a video to demonstrate what I mean:

You can potentially go much further than I did in the video. Its just for demonstration purposes. People need a motivation to learn the new movement, and if mappers inplement it in their maps and give wallslide etc. a use, wallslide will be much more appreciated in the community. Also making belt only accesible via the impact hammer is a bad thing, someone who just started will never know how to get up there. Thats why I would add 2 options, the lift one and wallslide option.
          Very good idea, I will implement that so that there is a chance that a well placed jump can actually steal the belt from a guy using the lift jump. Can boost the experience ! I've been trying to add more trick jumps, still need to work on getting some more of it.

Another thing that felt strange are the corridors( for example the one that moves down from beltroom to the room with the RL ), they dont appear to be in size for the map, its hard to say. I would make them wider, maybe they work better then, im not sure.

The rest of the map seems great, I hope we can play it online soon.
          Good luck!
          Well, I wanted to give a bit of all types of rooms (wide open, tricky access, narrower routes, etc). I understand what you are saying and I can make a few modifications, but ultimately I'd like to see how the action plays out in these situations. Maybe smaller corridors can lead to funny close combat. I have taken already one pass to enlarge some routes a bit, I can do it one more time. Globally very good feedback guys ! I will work on the map and see how I can implement your feedback into the existing. Thank you very much guys !

Originally posted by Chris UT4 View Post
          In the game the Map comes also that is this I would be cool if you then could send this one to the developers for this one Pre Alpha i like Your Map i will Play it
          Ultimately that's the goal I'm doing this for the community, and if the map gets into the official build... wow !
          Last edited by Raste; 09-02-2014, 05:44 PM.
          RASTE IN PEACE !
          Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
          Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

If you can explain to me why you like high ceilings maybe I can implements this in a better way throughout the map.
            The reason I said biased, was because I enjoy a mod that features a grapple combined with an anti-gravity belt. With ceilings that are too low, we bump our heads a lot.

I tried to be subtle and link to the explanation on the word "biased" in my post, because I didn't want to go overboard and abuse your thread as a way to promote a mod.

Your work deserves it's own space.

Comment

the layout seems to be good, but would obviously need to get it on a server (when redirects..appear) to have a few games on it.

The one thing I don't like...is that it's very, very dark. :P

Comment

Now that you say it, it looks a bit OP indeed. I will see what I can do to balance that.
                I could think about something like wie have it in "DM-Circuit", its a dead end where people can shoot you from the other side. Using the teleporter to the 50 armor basically means that there is a second belt on the map at the moment Keg/armor are spawned. If you want to keep the current placement there should be a high risk to pick it up, otherwise its just too strong and could unbalance the map heavily.(I think)

Glad I could help with my feedback

Comment

Originally posted by R.Flagg View Post
                  The reason I said biased, was because I enjoy a mod that features a grapple combined with an anti-gravity belt. With ceilings that are too low, we bump our heads a lot.

I tried to be subtle and link to the explanation on the word "biased" in my post, because I didn't want to go overboard and abuse your thread as a way to promote a mod.

Your work deserves it's own space.
                  Still, it's good to know that sort of things. The middle of the map should provide enough free space and verticality for that mod. But as you said, I'd rather say in the original UT lines for this block layout (maybe the next one haha)

Originally posted by raxxy View Post
                  the layout seems to be good, but would obviously need to get it on a server (when redirects..appear) to have a few games on it.

Going live would be the real test of the map indeed. I'm still working on lightning pass #3 which makes it a little brighter, but if you remember the maps I based my inspiration on like DM-Turbine or DM-Tempest, many places were really dark. I think it's what was shocking me a bit in the new maps: they are very, very bright ! Not sure if generic light for testing or real intention though

I could think about something like wie have it in "DM-Circuit", its a dead end where people can shoot you from the other side. Using the teleporter to the 50 armor basically means that there is a second belt on the map at the moment Keg/armor are spawned. If you want to keep the current placement there should be a high risk to pick it up, otherwise its just too strong and could unbalance the map heavily.(I think)

I have already integrated the new trick jump to reach the belt as a two stage jump. Bit tricky but it works nicely and you have margin to do it. I could remove the 50 armor and replace it with the armor helm which has 25 (would be more acceptable). The keg's place is good because you have to go far from the center of action to get it. And you can time a run for the keg + damage amp with the trap. Item placement is really something I'm only starting to understand, very complex. It will require a few iterations of improvements and feedback to nail it down.

EDIT: the keg can easily be negated since the portal leads to the sniper zone. One headshot and your advantage is gone. but there is only so much theory can predict
                  Last edited by Raste; 09-03-2014, 07:16 AM.
                  RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Originally posted by raxxy View Post
                    Improved it a tad, much brighter now

Download link updated !
                    RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

A quick update as I integrated the post-processing volume into the map. Surely brightened the place a lot. Been working on adding new trick jumps and opening a bit more the map.

Download link updated
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Raste; 09-05-2014, 01:24 PM.
                      RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Hey,

how about using just wall lamps for the vials(at belt), that would fit better and you could also make another one(with vials) on the other side of the platform!

looks great ! The lighting is much better now, it was quiet dark but now it feels very cool!
                        good work!

Comment

Hey,

how about using just wall lamps for the vials(at belt), that would fit better and you could also make another one(with vials) on the other side of the platform!

looks great ! The lighting is much better now, it was quiet dark but now it feels very cool!
                          good work!
                          Thanks for the feedback, I will consider it. Have you tried the new wall jumps in the belt room ? (check the dark grey bars on the walls )
                          RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

OK ! Map is done. I cannot do much more without testing or feedback from community / players / devs. The download link is updated in the original post. I might prepare another map, or maybe I'll go to the programming part (currently doing my MSc. in computer science ). We'll see !
                            RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Thanks i can not Play the Map have not UE4

Comment

Mr. Raste,

I finally was able to get in-game, and I ran around your map for a bit. I'm sorry for being late to the party (had to use my son's computer, my 32bit not good enough, yadda yadda), but nonetheless, I noticed some issues with getting stuck, and/or seeing through the mechanism involved in your trap. All around it if I stand right up against it. This -in my opinion- is a deal breaker, and is reason enough not to consider this map 'done', or to submit it to anyone yet.

I hope to play it more later today, and would be happy to try to provide more details concerning this if I can.

Also, personally I felt that simply throwing up some HUD text announcing the activation of the trap seemed a bit, no offence, but seemed a bit weak. You mentioned previously about using some other kind of warning/notice, like maybe lighting or audio cues or something like that. I would recommend that, and ditch the HUD message. IMO, hud messages like that are often appealing to folks Only because they are the 'easy out'.

To be honest, I think it would be better to have the trap only activated by a player, but that is of course a design call, and you are the one making the call. But at least I'd go for some kind of cue that players have to look out for, other than a HUD message.

At least a couple of the areas/rooms seemed kind of empty, and lacking either items and/or nice 'trim' for the walls and such. For example, I think I remember a room that had like one ammo pack against wall, and that was it. Pipes running under a see-through floor, or big pipes running through the walls (maybe leaking some steam here and there), or vents on floor and ceiling... just about anything in a room like that to help add to the overall feel would probably be a good idea.

Again, I'd be happy to discuss it further now that I'm finally in-game, but wanted to at least suggest to you now that you reconsider before submitting to Epic (as I saw you inquiring about in other thread).

Have a good day sir.

Comment

Working...
                                X