X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PROTOTYPE] DM-Hydraulics

UPDATE - v004a
    Download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...E1nUWlBdmM1ZVU

I agree that this content constitutes a Submission under the Unreal Engine EULA ( https://www.unrealengine.com/eula ).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Development Roadmap
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DONE
    - Create an initial layout: done
    - Initial Lightning: done
    - Define concept arts and general design: done

- Geometry pass #1: done
    - Lightning pass #1: done
    - Level Music

IN PROGRESS
    - Geometry pass #2: in progress
    - Lightning pass #2: in progress

TO BE DONE
    - Collisions pass
    - Create animations in the map
    - Sound recording & setting in the map
    - Post-Processing & particles effects

CONCEPT ARTS THREAD
    https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...t-Arts-request

MUSIC BY MAXCARNAGE
    https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...ght=hydraulics

SPECIAL THANKS

Concept arts: Geck, Gooba
    Huge help with static meshes UV mapping and corrections: CaptainMigraine
    Ambient Audio: MaxCarnage
    Soundtrack: MaxCarnage (current one), Nonemm (original one)
    Feedback: Irridium77, Nonemm, Captain Migraine, Scoob, Sigmafie, DutchSmoke, Zedmaster
    Support & for getting the map running on the servers: raxxy, zunnie

FEEDBACK
    Get it running and let me know what you think !
    Last edited by Raste; 02-23-2017, 05:09 PM.
    RASTE IN PEACE !
    Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
    Weapon: Redeemer

First prototype for the levels in the map. For the ground floor in the middle there will be this huge water tank with an exchanger (will work as a trap). In light blue the zones with water (for audio detection) and the blue pills in the center will be water admission pipes (to support the theme). The underground floor will have four generators taking water from these pipes. The ground floor will have an intermediate layer of platforms to enable trick jumping around the whole center area which will be completely opened. Finally the top floor will have a command center (trap activation) as well as two ramps going on the sides above the central room. The two lifts will go to the underground level and the elevator will allow access to the command center (will try and make it accessible via trick jumps also).

I'm hoping to get something opened and I'm trying to get the theme of the map to support the action and gameplay. The map won't be too big, it should work for 2 - 10 players. In some way I would like to combine elements from Deck16 and Turbine (loved that map so much). Starting to work on the layout for the top floor currently, will update this post (post updated !).

Underground floor:

Ground floor:

Top floor:

Feel free to give feedback !
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Raste; 08-11-2014, 11:45 AM.
    RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Really looking forward to seeing more of this. It looks really fun!
      Stacey Conley
      -----------------------------
      Unreal Tournament Community Manager
      Epic Games, Inc.
      Twitter | Twitch | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Pinterest

Comment

Originally posted by Flak View Post
        Really looking forward to seeing more of this. It looks really fun!
        Thanks ! Will do my very best.

FEEDBACK
        I will first focus on refining the layout on paper before I start blocking the layout. I would like that from any floor you can see the big water exchanger (mainly from the ground and top floors, see the bottom of it from the underground) so that players can quickly know where they are. I will probably rework the proportions though.

So far I'm pretty happy with the routes, all describing circling or eights shaped paths. At this stage it is very important to get feedback and I'm looking for what the community thinks about it: would you enjoy such a map ? How could I improve its design (routes and areas) ?
        RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Looking forward to test it Raste. It looks very nice It looks a bit big imo, could be wrong though.
          Usually the most played maps are more compact from what I know

Comment

Originally posted by Machoman View Post
            Looking forward to test it Raste. It looks very nice It looks a bit big imo, could be wrong though.
            Usually the most played maps are more compact from what I know
            Thanks for the feedback. Size is always hard to set and I will have to make tests until I find the right scale. Also the ground and top level will combine together to create a big room where most of the action will happen. Even if the map is a bit big, the important thing is that people know where to go to get action and that they are drawn there inconsiously (hence the use of circles for the paths: increases the chances to meet someone frequently).

All in all the map will be quite compact, but I want to make the central room with the water exchanger rather large to allow people to use all the guns and move freely in it. I will come up with a few sketches now of the main elements of the map. And then full steam into the editor !
            RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Looks like an interesting concept, looking forward to seeing the shell!

One suggestion I have is to maybe explore adding a bit more asymmetry to your layout. Symmetry is a very comfortable and natural place to be at (with fast results) but sometimes you'll be surprised at the improvements you get naturally just by letting go of that a little bit. You can achieve a lot by changing up very little of the actual dimensions of a space. It'll also allow you to have more memorable locations and diverse spaces for each weapon. Anyhow, just a thought, keep it up!

Comment

First attempt at designing the water exchanger (since it will be the center of the map it's pretty important to be sure (^_^). So here is a cut view of the exchanger: it will be visible from all floors (goes under the floor, the whole exchanger is fixed with hydraulic arms). Notice in pink the energy bridge that allows to move through. The quad damage will be there. When the trap is activated, the glass (bluish thingy) will quickly move to the left and close the pipe, then high pressured water will flow through and kill anyone standing in it. On the right of the picture, the big wall will contain the elevator to the command center on the top floor.

I will come up with a few other concept arts for the types of corridors I want to build and probably for the command center (to be continued...)

Originally posted by Clawfist View Post
                One suggestion I have is to maybe explore adding a bit more asymmetry to your layout. Symmetry is a very comfortable and natural place to be at (with fast results) but sometimes you'll be surprised at the improvements you get naturally just by letting go of that a little bit. You can achieve a lot by changing up very little of the actual dimensions of a space. It'll also allow you to have more memorable locations and diverse spaces for each weapon. Anyhow, just a thought, keep it up!
                Thanks for the advice. This is precisely why I don't want to rush in the editor. I can add elements of asymmetry pretty easily actually. Will brainstorm on this. I'm clearly trying to achieve a new old map for UT, asymmetry can bring the new element in it for sure.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Raste; 08-12-2014, 11:31 AM.
                RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Will there be crates?

Comment

Following the advice I've been wisely given, I started modifying the spaces a bit with asymmetry. I see now how it can bring new opportunities and contribute to make a better layout. I have also increased the size of some rooms to provide better fighting opportunities. I will keep on improving the layout, but I'm already way happier with this new one. Will keep on iterating on it. All feedback is appreciated !

Top floor

Ground floor

Underground

Originally posted by R.Flagg View Post
                    Will there be crates?
                    At some point in the design yes there will be some, but I cannot tell for sure at this stage of the design. Crates are more used to tweak geometry and provide partial/full covers. This element of design will probably appear later. However I would like to use elements like pipes, compressors, etc. that fit the theme to fulfill that role as much as possible.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Raste; 08-13-2014, 04:28 AM.
                    RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Was just havin' some fun with you, sir. Crates being so standard in FPS maps since, well, since forever.

My fault though, I should have thrown in a winky-face or something.

Good luck with your map.

Comment

Originally posted by R.Flagg View Post
                        Was just havin' some fun with you, sir. Crates being so standard in FPS maps since, well, since forever.

My fault though, I should have thrown in a winky-face or something.

Good luck with your map.
                        Haha, wasn't sure if troll or not .

Still on paper at the moment, but I hope I will start blocking the shell this week-end. With all the drawings I have it should go fast as I'm getting a pretty solid idea of the spaces now.
                        RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Haha.. troll DENIED

Have you considered connecting the floors with ramps instead of elevators in a spot or two? Not to say a map needs to have both and it can be a very deliberate choice but each have their own merit and gameplay implications. Elevators are great escape and movement tools (depending on the openness surrounding them) but do split combat apart a bit and make chasing very difficult. Ramps can create interesting z combat and allow a fight to continue longer and resolve in a lot of different ways.

Nice progress, keep it up!

Comment

This looks interesting, keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by Clawfist View Post
                              Haha.. troll DENIED

Have you considered connecting the floors with ramps instead of elevators in a spot or two? Not to say a map needs to have both and it can be a very deliberate choice but each have their own merit and gameplay implications. Elevators are great escape and movement tools (depending on the openness surrounding them) but do split combat apart a bit and make chasing very difficult. Ramps can create interesting z combat and allow a fight to continue longer and resolve in a lot of different ways.

Nice progress, keep it up!
                              Thanks ! I have a few other ideas to break the symmetry of the map, I think one more iteration and I can start blocking the layout. Also the more I think about this map the easier it gets to place weapons and power ups. Concerning the ramps, I will follow your advice just like the previous one (which turned out to improve the map quite a lot !). The only place I see ramps fitting is the right lift that links the ground floor to the underground. The lift on the left will be used for lift jumping to an armor and I kind of want to keep the elevator to the top floor as it reminds me fondly of the original Phoebos map.

I will refine the layout further once more and this time it should be ready for block out. I'm curious though: do you make iterations on paper first or do you usually start with a room in the editor and add to it until you're happy with the map ?
                              RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Working...
                              X