DM-Industria_09 [WIP]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Industria_09 [WIP]

The idea of this map was one that I had started to make for UT3, but then UE4 became available and ...well, here we are.

Still very early, and a few things aren't completely finalized. The only thing that's the same from the original is the essential theme and the idea of it being some sort of cooling complex for some industrial metropolis. The giant fans serve as vertical wind tunnels that allow the player to jump across gaps 50ft and more(a big thank you to Sneh for the help with the physics volumes). I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to flesh things out a little, so I thought I'd go ahead and start one of these map threads.

I'll post a video of the basic run-around of the place later on. For now, pictures of some of the rooms...and it's probably a good idea I try for some sleep, hah.

Attached Files

I agree, a bit dark. But looking good. I'm not familiar with the original map, but looking forward to trying your version out.
    www.funrealtournament.com «« My maps
    www.smartapplerocks.com «« My music

Comment

Thanks, and yes, it is WAY too dark right now in most places. The lighting right now is mainly just so I can see. I always do lighting absolutely last since build times get hefty with the fancy lighting. In most places right now, the only lighting is being done by the sunlight coming in through windows and skylights.

I'm not familiar with the original map, but looking forward to trying your version out.
      I never finished it. It had a completely different floor plan, and I was only about half way through when I heard about the new UT project and decided to move my efforts to UE4. If you were just curious, here's the link to the old thread with some videos that give you the general idea behind the vertical wind tunnel mechanic. As you'll be able to tell, I seem to always work in the dark early on, haha.

https://forums.epicgames.com/threads...rk-in-progress
      Last edited by Hymnal; 08-14-2014, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Am I the only one that gets a Deus Ex:HR vibe from this one? Looks really cool man. A map that would be well suited for 8-16 players in DM. I recommend anyone who is trying to view the screenshots to multiply their screen gamma/brightness by a factor of two to view the details. My only concern is that the 5th screenshot looks a little busy and distracting with all the wall details. Maybe you could try making that area a bit more clean cut to fit more with Epic's level design goals.

Comment

Your assets look **** nice

Layout look to be cool

I like dark maps as long as bright maps. It depend on your taste of course. This map as a good ambiance / atmosphere. A bit dark, agreed, but it's a WIP so you'll see
          Stevie's corner
          My UT4 levels
          Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Originally posted by Hymnal View Post
            The idea of this map was one that I had started to make for UT3, but then UE4 became available and ...well, here we are.

Still very early, and a few things aren't completely finalized. The only thing that's the same from the original is the essential theme and the idea of it being some sort of cooling complex for some industrial metropolis. The giant fans serve as vertical wind tunnels that allow the player to jump across gaps 50ft and more(a big thank you to Sneh for the help with the physics volumes). I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to flesh things out a little, so I thought I'd go ahead and start one of these map threads.

I'll post a video of the basic run-around of the place later on. For now, pictures of some of the rooms...and it's probably a good idea I try for some sleep, hah.

Would love to playtest this! ^^

Comment

True, a bit dark, but clean yet nice design. Aren't those the UE4 Office-demo assets?
              S l y .

Comment

I want to playtest this map!
                work: www.POLEGAR.pt

Comment

Hello again. Thanks to everyone for the encouraging words.

True, a bit dark, but clean yet nice design. Aren't those the UE4 Office-demo assets?
                  I've borrowed and tweaked a few assets from the Office and Reflections demo. I was under the impression that the use of assets from the free marketplace collections was allowed. Is it not?

https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...-own-game.html

My only concern is that the 5th screenshot looks a little busy and distracting with all the wall details. Maybe you could try making that area a bit more clean cut to fit more with Epic's level design goals.
                  Thanks for the feedback. I've circled a couple of areas that I think you're talking about when you say "wall details". Is this the type of detail you were referring to? Looking at it again, I can see how it could be a little busy. I was attempting partial-cover walls, if that makes any sense. Walls that the players could [see each other/shoot each other] through, but that would allow for some cover. Basically "semi" walls that allow movement from points a -> b without being either completely covered from interaction with the rest of the room, nor completely out in the open. You can get a better look at the "pass-through" functionality I was going for by looking at the same areas in the 4th screenshot of the original post.

...but, you're right, it does need to be "clean". Hmmm...an elegant solution to suit both needs is eluding me right now.

Attached Files
                  Last edited by Hymnal; 08-15-2014, 06:00 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Holy smokes ....... this looks incredible, - very nice to see what the new engine can do here. Excellent looking design & style.
                    UOF Admin / Map pack(s) instigator, coordinator, contributor.

Comment

Thanks! I'm shifting this one to the back-burner for a day or so while I try to work some things out on paper. Other maps will be up soon(mostly just bsp atm).

Comment

This looks promising, can't wait to see the progress. Keep it up, this can become a great map!

Comment

how long did it take you for the map?
                          that is really cool

Comment

This has a good art direction, perhaps needs some more work in lighting so it won't be all that dark.. but, even as it is now, it offers a really good amount of visual clarity and fidelity.
                            > FreezeTag [Blueprint]
                            > Reimagining of Greed [BluePrint]
                            > Avarice, a DM-variant of Greed [BluePrint]

Comment

I really like the shiny wooden floor amongst the industrial assets. To me it's a strange mix that works really well!
                              Looking forward to seeing how this progresses Hymnal!
                              Unreal Old Friends
                              My previous Unreal work

Comment

Working...
                              X