X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Temple (Pre-Alpha)

UPDATE 5!
    DOWNLOAD HERE!!!
    or HERE for the COOKED version. (non-subscribers)
    Following David's comments, I was working at ways to improve the Rocket area at the back and it is slowly becoming the bane of my life. At one point it wasn't even BSP, it was just a walking, talking glitch. I solve one problem and another arises just round the corner. I was falling through terrain and out of the map, being uncontrollably elevated and then just dying in mid air and casual spasms were more than frequent.

~ I've reduced the number of sides on pillars around the Rocket area only, for the time being. I've also made the entire Rocket area semi-solid and it seems to hold back the avalanche of glitches. However, because of the setbacks, I haven't made any real progress in this area other than adding a tunnel through the ramp and extending the building a little. (I also haven't started on the link room yet)
    ~ I've added a pathway and lift from the Rocket to the Flak, although I'm not sure if i like it yet.
    ~I've made edits for all of Clawfist's points although I'm still struggling with the terrain tools.

Not too many changes but here is a quick run through which includes a look at the new path from rocket to flak. (It also includes the rocket area which I would definitely appreciate your input on what to do with.)
    <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-size: x-large; font-family: 'microsoft sans serif'; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);"><font size="4">
    Major improvements for next update (V6):
    ~Back Rocket temple area revamp.
    ~Link gun room
    ~Terrain tweaks

OLDER .....

UPDATE 4!

Improvements:
    ~Other than one corridor that is in progress, the basic layout is done. - I'm still working on creating a cave like tunnel from the Flak to under the mini gun by the second rocket however I'm coming across several issues.
    ~I've moved the Bio rifle to a more useful location (near the belt) and I've moved the Sniper up the ramp and replaced it with the thigh pads.
    ~The Beserk is now reachable!
    ~2 more lifts have been added, 1 by the helmet and 1 by the belt.
    ~A few tweaks to the existing BSP and terrain to help the player move more smoothly and avoid certain falls off the map.
    ~A few more chances to slope dodge and trick jump have been added (most notably in the link room, in the central U damage room and the terrain by the Sniper and Flak.

Future improvements:
    ~Add the Redeemer where the video starts atop the walkway.
    ~Improve Terrain and surrounding background
    ~Tweak layout and pickup placement based on feedback and testing
    ~Fix a few small BSP holes and bugs i'm getting.
    ~Add River/lake in between Rocket tower and Beserk
    ~Boundaries
    ~Lights, Materials, Textures, Meshes

Pick up placement is the main area that I'd like feedback on and I'd be really grateful if some of you could check it out and see what you think

Version3:

I've moved a few of the weapons around and I have the basic layout sorted enough for you to run around and have a better look.
    The map is aimed towards bigger player counts of 8+ or 4v4+ for TDM.
    It's an ancient temple style theme (in case you didn't get that from the title) and hopefully all the weapon placements have their own distinct location and individuality within that theme.

Notes:
    ~The bottom area with the Rocket is probably the weakest so any ideas on how to improve it would be appreciated.
    ~There are still quite a few areas where you can fall out of the map because of the bad terrain and there is not volume in to stop it yet so beware

Let me know what you think!

Version2:
    <strong>

Version1: I've recently started working on a new DM map, provisionally titled Temple (just for simplicity's sake -p.s let me know if this name has already been used elsewhere)

The map might possibly be more trouble than its worth and so I've decided to post up a quick run through here to see if you like the look of it before i commit any further. The basic floor layout is finished although I feel in certain places it has to improve drastically, particularly the mini gun area along with the back corridor and adjoining room, and the link gun room. One of each weapon is placed atm (apart from the redeemer) but i feel as though the map could use another weapon or two as it's quite large.

The terrain is a complete mess, the Flak area is glitched, the lighting is somewhere between basic and non-existent and as of yet there are no textures. (No roofs either but been as its an ancient temple there might not be any)

Anyways it'd be good to find out whether its worth pursuing. Thanks
    Last edited by SopranoObject; 09-09-2014, 09:43 AM.

I'm already in love with this. I like the temple-fantasy setting
    Not quite sure about the belt position, that's a huge open space from the belt to that little structure.
    Really like the central room (with the power up on the pillar)

Can't wait to see this textured and finished, will grab this 100%

Comment

Not quite sure about the belt position, that's a huge open space from the belt to that little structure.

^ ...pretty much my sentiments, exactly. Looks interesting.

Comment

^ ...pretty much my sentiments, exactly. Looks interesting.
        Thanks a lot for the feedback van Kuss and Hymnal, I will definitely see it out! However i'm going to Egypt tomorrow for a few weeks so i wont post any updates until September. (Maybe i'll get inspired by the temples there!)

The belt position is a little awkward but i feel the whole bottom area of the map (the unlit corridor/mini gun/health room) including the belt area all need to be completely redone. (You can't see it from the vid but that area also has a few annoying holes in the BSP that I'm not quite sure how to fix without converting to static meshes)

More feedback and constructive criticism on specific areas and/or weapon placements would be greatly appreciated.

One last thing... In the Editor how do you create lift jumps? I've got two lifts in atm and for one of them I need to create a jump to allow for getting to the shock area but when i jump off the lifts that I've created it feels as though I'm just jumping normally. It's probably something simple that I'm missing but can anybody help? Thanks!!

Comment

Very nice layout !
          Stevie's corner
          My UT4 levels
          Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Just a quick heads up, im back tonight and I have big plans for reconstruction of several areas of the map.
            I will begin work on it asap and post new videos/images and a download link over the following days... Stay tuned!!

Comment

Nice to see a big map in development,keep it up

Comment

Nice. I wonder what kind of a temple it will end up being... Roman, Nali, Egyptian?
                Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
                My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

UPDATE 2!

Okay, so I've made several large edits to the layout (which is still incomplete) and also tried to reinforce the Temple theme in those areas. I'm using a post processing volume for lights atm and the terrain is unsurprisingly still a mess.
                  I'm also trying to get a distinct memorable area for each weapon. The three major updates are:

1. The mini gun area has been completely destroyed and rebuilt with heavy inspiration from the Temple of Hatshepsut. A second Rocket has also been added to this area.

2. The shock area has also undergone dramatic reconstruction and obelisks have been added. (P.s GreatEmerald, The map is influenced by Ancient Greece and Egypt, however i do want to keep it Unrealy so nothing is set in stone )

3. The Rocket tower has been expanded, although I'm still not happy with this area. A helmet has been added here.

Other changes include several connectivity paths, ammo, Thigh pads, health and the movement of the shield belt (I still don't like the new location).

The old shield belt area has been half knocked down and is the next major WIP point as it just basically leads to nothing. There are also a few Lifts i need to add. The terrain paths and giant holes etc are all terrible at the current stage, i'm just trying to get the layout sorted and weapon placements decided.

Any feedback is much appreciated! Once I've made the old shield belt area playable (probably tomorrow), then I will post a download link for you all to run about and give better feedback.

Here's a quick run through of the new additions. If i shoot randomly at stuff it probably means it's not supposed to be there.
                  <span style="font-family: lucida sans unicode"><strong>
                  Attached Files

Comment

Cool One thing I noticed, though, is that there seem to be a lot of places you could potentially get caught on. Especially the archways, they look so low that everyone will bump their heads jumping through them. Same thing with fallen columns, you might want to either not leave anything at the base or make it high enough that one can't jump on them (unless jumping on them has some gameplay significance).
                    Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
                    My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

UPDATE 3!
                      DOWNLOAD HERE!!!

I've moved a few of the weapons around and I have the basic layout sorted enough for you to run around and have a better look.
                      The map is aimed towards bigger player counts of 8+ or 4v4+ for TDM.

Notes:
                      ~The mini gun room is under construction.
                      ~The bottom area with the Rocket is probably the weakest so any ideas on how to improve it would be appreciated.
                      ~I have an older build as i cancelled my subscription and I'm certain that the Redeemer isn't in my build unless its well hidden. Anyway, it would be perched upon the little walkway at the bottom left when i resubscribe. (or find it)
                      ~There are still quite a few areas where you can fall out of the map because of the bad terrain and there is not volume in to stop it yet so beware
                      ~The Beserk is unreachable atm

GreatEmerald, thanks for the feedback. I agree with that completely and it's been altered for the download. Let me know if you see anywhere else that could be improved!

Let me know what you think!

Attached Files

Comment

UPDATE 4!
                        The download link in the OP has been updated or you can download the latest version HERE!
                        Improvements:
                        ~Other than one corridor that is in progress, the basic layout is done. - I'm still working on creating a cave like tunnel from the Flak to under the mini gun by the second rocket however I'm coming across several issues.
                        ~I've moved the Bio rifle to a more useful location (near the belt) and I've moved the Sniper up the ramp and replaced it with the thigh pads.
                        ~The Beserk is now reachable!
                        ~2 more lifts have been added, 1 by the helmet and 1 by the belt.
                        ~A few tweaks to the existing BSP and terrain to help the player move more smoothly and avoid certain falls off the map.
                        ~A few more chances to slope dodge and trick jump have been added (most notably in the link room, in the central U damage room and the terrain by the Sniper and Flak.

Future improvements:
                        ~Add the Redeemer where the video starts atop the walkway.
                        ~Improve Terrain and surrounding background
                        ~Tweak layout and pickup placement based on feedback and testing
                        ~Fix a few small BSP holes and bugs i'm getting.
                        ~Add River/lake in between Rocket tower and Beserk
                        ~Boundaries
                        ~Lights, Materials, Textures, Meshes

Pick up placement is the main area that I'd like feedback on and I'd be really grateful if some of you could check it out and see what you think

Comment

I really like the rocky path ramp at the 2 minute mark. Makes me want to sprint up it to gain some upper ground. The view from the top might be a bit overkill if someone has the sniper rifle... they can basically see through the entire map. Great work! This definitely has a nice original vibe to it.
                          Last edited by Quadj130; 09-03-2014, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Hey,

could you upload a cooked version of the map, that way all the non subscribers can test it too.
                            How to cook:
                            https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...-Epic-s-builds

best regards
                            Nonemms Music Thread DM-Lea(Youtube Soundcloud )
                            Fabian Joosten - composer for media

Comment

I really like the rocky path ramp at the 2 minute mark. Makes me want to sprint up it to gain some upper ground. The view from the top might be a bit overkill if someone has the sniper rifle... they can basically see through the entire map. Great work! This definitely has a nice original vibe to it.
                              I wasn't too sure about the path myself but you make a good point about gaining upper ground fast. The Beserk area does have a rather broad view, however been as the sniper is the other side of the map and from up there you are a large target, my hope is that people won't camp it. Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Nonemm
                              Hey,

could you upload a cooked version of the map, that way all the non subscribers can test it too.
                              How to cook:
                              https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...-Epic-s-builds

best regards
                              Thanks for the interest and the link. Once I've finalised some of the basics and added spawns etc then i will post a cooked link for you to test!

Comment

Working...
                              X