• Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Grotto

Download UTEditor
    Download Cooked

Hello Everyone,

Update 08/24/2014
    Spent some time this weekend finishing the layout of the shells for this map.
    Just to go over features:

- I believe the map is on the large side, intended for 4v4 (or higher) TDM matches and FFA.
    - Combat is centralized around the mid area of the map where the armor spawns. The intended theme of the map is (hopefully) going to be a cave (hence the name) using a lot of natural assets.
    - I intentionally left in some brush errors that I would normally fix, just to give the map sort of that natural geometry (but of course at this shell stage this is irrelevant). Wanted to point this out for anyone who may open the map in the editor and see what looks like a mess. I did however clean it up to avoid BSP holes and invisible walls ^_^

I have updated the download link with the updated map. I have also provided a download link for the cooked version of the map that should be compatible with the current alpha build for those that do not have the editor and want to test the map.

I would appreciate any and all feedback.

Video:

cheers...

================
    Breaking this post off to its own thread...

Came upon this layout while testing out ideas for previous DM map. The ideas didn't work for that map but I figured I'd put it towards a new map. This current version is just the first iteration of this layout that I'm still working on and refining and may be subject to change.

- First change is that the map is completely enclosed. I decided to remove the cliffside part of the map where players were prone to falling off. It really wasn't there for gameplay reasons rather thanfor the theme of the map (I was going for a cliffside theme). So I decided to switch the map to a completely enclosed "cave" hence the name change... :-)
    - Because of the direction I was going with the flow, the map purposefully has no lifts. This I think makes the jump boots a more valuable pickup. Jump boots aren't necessarily needed to get to powerups, but I think they give an advantage for traversal. The map was designed with this in mind (feedback will be appreciated)
    - The shield belt room was designed as the power position in the map as that can be used to access any other area of the map. One thing I am not sure I've done so well so far is the size of the rooms relative to each other. Feed back will be appreciated on this but I am thinking about expanding the shield belt room a little bit more...
    - Map is currently using the shell materials and for some reason on my monitors, it looks SUPER bright!!! I toned it down a little but didn't want to overdo it because I am afraid that maybe my monitor needs to be recalibrated... The general idea of the map should be coming through, though. I hope!!!

Before I go further into the ideas I had for the flow and such, I figure I'd wait to hear some thoughts to see if the ideas work so far...
    Video:

DL LINK up top!
    Cheers` ^_^
    Last edited by jayoplus; 08-24-2014, 04:03 PM. Reason: Map Update
    MyArtstation
    @jayoplus

Hello all,
    Spent some time this weekend finishing the layout of the shells for this map.
    Just to go over features:

- I believe the map is on the large side, intended for 4v4 (or higher) TDM matches and FFA.
    - Combat is centralized around the mid area of the map where the armor spawns. The intended theme of the map is (hopefully) going to be a cave (hence the name) using a lot of natural assets.
    - I intentionally left in some brush errors that I would normally fix, just to give the map sort of that natural geometry (but of course at this shell stage this is irrelevant). Wanted to point this out for anyone who may open the map in the editor and see what looks like a mess. I did however clean it up to avoid BSP holes and invisible walls ^_^

I have updated the download link with the updated map. I have also provided a download link for the cooked version of the map that should be compatible with the current alpha build for those that do not have the editor and want to test the map.

I would appreciate any and all feedback.

Video:

cheers...
    MyArtstation
    @jayoplus

Comment

From the video ((haven't been able to run the game on a 32 bit system ))

I felt like the corridor was narrow and long @ approx. 16 seconds.

Otherwise;
      • a lot of cool z-axis action.
      • plenty of possibilities to get around & get to power ups.
      • scaling feels / looks right.
      • I'd personally prefer to see even basic / rough textures even on an alpha.
      • maybe consider turning off weapon bob for videos if possible?
      Last edited by 1x; 08-24-2014, 06:54 PM.
      UOF Admin / Map pack(s) instigator, coordinator, contributor.

Comment

Working...
      X