Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] Dm_egypt (wip)

Hi,
    because I never create a map before, I want you to show the very first stage of my map DM_EGYPT (If someone have an idea for a better name please post it )
    My idea is a map with an egypt, sci-fi mix.
    I made a small video of the current stage.

The building later will be half covered by a landscape the looks like a dune, rock mix. There a some missing walls and there will be some rooms in the underground.

What do you think about it? Am I on the right way?
    Last edited by Fonce; 08-25-2014, 06:50 AM.

Cool. Though it looks rather small at the moment?

An obvious name would be something like DM-<Name>Temple. Here's an interesting description of an actual Egyptian temple during its prime time: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bastet#Temple
    Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
    My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Originally posted by Fonce View Post
      What do you think about it? Am I on the right way?
      I like the theme and it looks like a good start, I think you're on the right way
      Just keep refining it and be willing to change things that don't work based on flow / gameplay when you start placing items.

Is it going to be a 1v1 Duel map, or do you intend making it much larger?

Comment

I try to match a size for max. 8 players. I have planned a tunnel from the small room at 0:57 (new video) to the big room at 0:20.
        That changes are required if things don't work is normal. (I know that enough from my job. I am a software engineer)

I worked a bit more...

One problem I see is the texturing thing, because I am colorblind(red-green) and complex static meshes for decoration...

EDIT: Video removed. Lasted listend in first post.
        Last edited by Fonce; 08-25-2014, 06:51 AM.

Comment

looks ok my only two points would be to make sure that each building have 3 ways to get in and out to allow more fluid movement and i think it would be cool if you remova that obelisk and make something like floating in the air piramid like platform on the middle of a map

ah and make sure you don't do too multilevel underground with dead ends

Good Job mate
          Last edited by pR8; 08-22-2014, 10:57 AM.

Comment

A little update.

What now is missing is the connection of the small room at 0:53 and placing Items.
            Then I could give it to you guys for testing befor I placing the landscape.

EDIT:
            @pR8
            I currently thinking about the pyramid thing.
            For example there could be a small pyramid with an little larger flipped pyramid, standing on the smaller one and the flipped one is rotating...

EDIT 2: Video removed. Lasted listend in first post.

Comment

The underground area is certainly of good size. Then perhaps the map should be called DM-<Name>Tomb to reflect that.
              By the way, you have green sunlight outside. You probably want it to be yellow.
              Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
              My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                By the way, you have green sunlight outside. You probably want it to be yellow.
                Agreed, though I'd go for pure white and use the lights in the level to give colors to each area individually. Curious to see this map's evolve. Keep it up !
                RASTE IN PEACE !
                Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
                Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

well you could make a jump boost on mid that would lead player to duble damage and pyramid would be more like skeleton with no walls just pillars bettwen top of pyramid and platform and around that double dmg are 4 jump boost that doesn't make you jump higher but to make you jump outside in chosen direction so...

you jump > pick up double damage> strafe on kboard to chose one of 4 jump boosts> jump out of pyramid

something like this http://postimg.org/image/4yyev22yl/ (paint zkillz pro)
                  Last edited by pR8; 08-22-2014, 07:02 PM.

Comment

And here is another little update. Some items placed, some rooms added...

@pR8
                    I don't like that idea from your last post. Too often, IMHO, things like that are working more with luck then skill. I personally hate maps withs things like that.

EDIT: Video removed. Lasted listend in first post.

Comment

Ofcourse it's your map and you will do what you think is best. For me as i watched that video again i see that some building have nice prince of persia deisgn which could give really unique feeling. So your map looks very good but i'm not sure if you expand to much to underground. I think you could expand bit more open area but that's only my view on this map. I think you have strong idea for this map so i will like to see how you progress with it.

Comment

Little update with example landscape added. As you see there are some issues need to be fixed and some lights need to be added.

Comment

Good start. The Egypt theme is divisive, but I personally don't mind it at all. You get to build cool temples at large scales, which seems pretty cool to me. Make sure you play up the unique feel of an Egyptian temple or crypt.

Anyway, the only feedback I would give is to watch out for "Room-Corridor-Room" syndrome. This happens when the flow through the map is linear or restricted. Players don't have enough choices and must walk the length of a corridor to get to the next room with not options change direction, go somewhere else, or how they want to enter that room.

Ideally what you want is a map that isn't too porous (too many choices), and isn't so linear that players can't make flow choices. The choices players have for where they want to go at any given time in the map should be deliberate and serve a purpose. Not having purposeful choices, or having a bunch of choices that serve no purpose illustrates when there may be a need to adjust map flow.
                          David Spalinski
                          @spazinski
                          Epic Games

Comment

Originally posted by David Spalinski View Post
                            Good start.
                            Thanks
                            Anyway, the only feedback I would give is to watch out for "Room-Corridor-Room" syndrome. This happens when the flow through the map is linear or restricted. Players don't have enough choices and must walk the length of a corridor to get to the next room with not options change direction, go somewhere else, or how they want to enter that room.
                            Your are right with that. I currently evolving some ideas how to change that in the tomb part of the map. Even I am not fully contented with the overground part of the map and thinking about how to change that.

Comment

It looks good so far. I like the inside/outside areas. My only suggestion would be to not use jump pads so much. Jump pads allow players to move too unrealistically, a player can easily escape someone who is about to kill them by just simply hitting a jump pad and flying away. You dont want the better players getting annoyed with the fact that every time they are about to get a kill, someone just hits a pad is off to safety. Instead i suggest you use blueprints and create lifts. BluePrints might seem a little daunting at first, but they are actually pretty simple and logical. Using lifts instead of jump pads creates timed barriers that players must use wisely. If you are running away from someone and run towards a lift, you better hope the lift is there or that you dont accidentally step off it.
                              PayBack

Comment

Working...
                              X