Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] [MAP] DM - Ars Kinetica

Hello all

Instead of screen shots, I felt the premise of this map was best demonstrated with a video.

This is another map I've been thinking about for a bit, and finally got around to blocking it out. This map was based on the idea of a pinball machine, full of multiple pinballs, and they're all shooting at one another. The idea of the possibility for high-speed, half-second, aerial dog-fights amuses me. =P

Anyway...this is just a simple layout. All BSP except for the use of one static mesh(glass floors in walkways) but all meshes and materials used are included in the build so I think you should see what's in the video(never uploaded a map before). If something is noticed as missing, please post so I can fix the problem.

I'd really appreciate some feedback. Especially regarding ideas for weapon and item placement, flow, etc.

NOTES:
    ===========

- Items are currently just there for the sake of being there. Layout of items is completely up in the air at this point.(example: RL and flak WAY too close together)
    - I'd like to keep the invisibility powerup somewhere on the map. The idea of an invisible opponent shooting around a map at warp speed seems interesting to me.
    - In the central area, when launching from one side to the opposing side, if you hold back immediately after lauching it will slow you enough to hit the opposing jump pad and send you directly back from where you came. ...just a little trick.
    - If it looks like a really deep hole, it is a really deep hole...don't fall in it.
    - On the horizontal jump pads, if you fire a rocket right before lauching you WILL arrive before it. Just a warning. Don't aim where you're going to land unless you want an explosive greeting on the other side. Can be timed to rocket-jump at end of a jump path, however.
    - In the Minigun room, to reach the third floor via lift-jump, be sure to stop moving so that your only momentum is upwards. Once lauched upward, then you can use air control to reach the third floor, or just float right on to the jump pad for a quick escape from the room.

Thanks! =)

==========
    LINKS:
    ==========

Map: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwQ...it?usp=sharing

(copy to Content/Maps)

Last edited by Hymnal; 08-29-2014, 03:18 AM.

hi

using 4.3.1: bp_skysphere, a skytexture and postprocessing errors occure
    im sorry, but i have not looked into it too much. map works anyways, but i think the reflections might be gone (again sorry, was just having a quick look in vertex mode).

what id say is that the way down to the centered jumppad is quite long.

also something general: when i do not get a map on first sight i really have trouble to try it a second time. most new maps are too complex for my taste (current ut4build).
    back in the days with face, lava, coret, gauntlet, deck, codex, curse.. things were different. even ut2kx had this ctf.chrome that i liked. very simply yet awesome. would you agree with me here? is your map complex?

Comment

What i have to do to be able to play it with the Pre-Alpha Build i have downloaded???
      There is nowhere a Content/Maps to find. :-/
      Am i too much noob or is it only possible to play your map when licensing the Unreal 4 Engine?
      There are so much nice maps out there and i would be glad to test the maps and give feedback. :-)

Comment

using 4.3.1: bp_skysphere, a skytexture and postprocessing errors occur
        Sorry about that. I'd left a texture in use that's not included in the standard build. Should be fixed now. Re-Uploaded. Thanks for letting me know.

what id say is that the way down to the centered jumppad is quite long.
        By "the way down", do you mean the pathways that lead to the basement floor, or do you mean the fall from the higher floors? If you mean the pathways, they're all straight shots from the furthest extent of the map in the cardinal directions back to the center. I'm not sure how I could make the paths shorter, being straight lines and all. Unless you recommend using jump pads to launch the players back and forth through hallways in question.

If you mean, that the fall is long, then that's by design. Dropping from the 3rd floor down through the central shaft is meant to be harmful(fatal if you miss the platform) unless you hit the jump pad.

most new maps are too complex for my taste (current ut4build).
        back in the days with face, lava, coret, gauntlet, deck, codex, curse.. things were different. even ut2kx had this ctf.chrome that i liked. very simply yet awesome. would you agree with me here? is your map complex?
        Is my map complex?

Hmmm...well, I would say that compared to some maps, yes, it could be considered complex. However, by no means is it a maze. The floor plan was actually designed to prevent players from becoming lost. Aside from the central shaft, I tried to make the map completely asymmetrical so the player never gets disoriented about where they are on the map. Since the map's movement can have you completely on the other side of the map in seconds, spatial awareness for the player was a big concern for me. There are two main routes to traverse the map. (1) Cardinal movement, via cutting through the central shaft area to reach the far side of the map or change floors quickly. (2) Peripheral movement, via one large circular path around the central area.

Basically, no matter what path you take, you're either circling the central shaft or taking a path that leads back to the central shaft for quick "side-of-map/floor" changes.

What i have to do to be able to play it with the Pre-Alpha Build i have downloaded???
        There is nowhere a Content/Maps to find. :-/
        Am i too much noob or is it only possible to play your map when licensing the Unreal 4 Engine?
        There are so much nice maps out there and i would be glad to test the maps and give feedback. :-)
        The "Content/Maps" is in the directory of where you placed the Unreal Tournament-Master folder for the build(if you are a subscriber to UE4 and have downloaded the latest UT build).

If you just have the Pre-Alpha build of the game, I'm sorry I can't help you. I'd have to cook the map for you to be able to play it, and if there were a lot of people asking for a cooked copy at such an early stage, I would, but right now I'm just putting it up for other level designers and developers to critique by looking at it/playing it in engine...

Later into the process, I'll start putting up cooked maps but for now I'm not cooking just so I have to re-cook and re-upload every time a little change needs to be made or someone finds an escape from the map, or any other myriad of problems that pop up in such early stages.

Thanks for the interest though.
        --------------

Thoughts on layout of weapon and item placement, and ideas for doing so in a balanced fashion, would be terrific! Thanks in advance, everyone.
        Last edited by Hymnal; 08-24-2014, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Thankes for answering.
          But i have another question ... or two. ^^

When i would pay for the Unreal Engine 4 for a month .... is it a recurring thing or is it only for one month and then running out?

Then ... if it is recurring ... is it easy to cancel or would you say dont try it if you want only to test it for a month?

Then ... if i would test it for a month ... with or without recurring ... is it ok only to make maps for UT?
          Or will there be any problem with the 5% deal with Epic???
          Would be not that good if Epic would want money from me when i would not make any money with it.
          It would be onyl for fun for me .... dont want to make money ... it would only for fun to make maps.

Comment

The UE4 subscription is recurring, but it's easy to cancel at any time. From what I understand, if you cancel you can continue using UE4 but you won't be able to get updates or download assets from the marketplace.

If you make game content that you wish to sell in some way, then I believe you're supposed to legally have an active subscription. How the %5 rule works with the UT content everyone's making, and how it may end up being sold, is another matter. One I'm not clear on. I'm sure that when it gets closer to being time for creators to sell their UT content to players that EPIC will work something out.

However, if you're just making stuff for fun, and not making any money from the stuff you make, then you can do that for free all day long. No need to continue your UE4 subscription past the first month.

Comment

My complements.

Just wanted to say real fast that the video looks amazing, great layout - everything seems to flow very well & is easy on the eyes even at an early stage.
              UOF Admin / Map pack(s) instigator, coordinator, contributor.

Comment

Originally posted by 1x View Post
                My complements.

Just wanted to say real fast that the video looks amazing, great layout - everything seems to flow very well & is easy on the eyes even at an early stage.
                Thanks!

Comment

Seems a rather a bit Quake with all the jump pads, but I'd rather play Quake 3 than UT3, so it gets my vote.
                  also known as Humphro

Comment

I love crazy jump-pad maps and this looks hella-fun. Looking forward to it.
                    www.funrealtournament.com «« My maps
                    www.smartapplerocks.com «« My music

Comment

Really like the layout, geometry, flow of this map

Excellent start
                      Stevie's corner
                      My UT4 levels
                      Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Seems a rather a bit Quake with all the jump pads, but I'd rather play Quake 3 than UT3, so it gets my vote.
                        Haha, well...I'd be lying if I said Quake 3 DM17-"The Longest Yard" has had no influence here. I was always a fan of that map.

I love crazy jump-pad maps and this looks hella-fun. Looking forward to it.
                        I thought it was a good sign that the map was fun to run around in even without anyone else shooting at you...to me anyway.

Originally posted by Stevelois View Post
                        Really like the layout, geometry, flow of this map

Excellent start
                        Thanks a ton! I've been a fan of your UT maps for a while. Means a lot to me to get early approval from you, haha.

I really just need to work on balancing the weapon/item placement. I've been working on my other maps while trying to evaluate the best layout. I just don't want to start going about "pretty-ing up" the map, and have to upload a pretty hefty custom assets folder for people to have to download each time a slight change is made in the map's weapon/item arrangement.

Thanks again.
                        Last edited by Hymnal; 08-25-2014, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Cool map, and a real good start.

Some quick feedback:
                          the amount of jumppads might be a little too much, unless you're intending for that be the gimmick for the map. Currently that's how I would remember the map "oh, it's the one with a lot of jumppads".

Also, it looks like the map needs more landmarking. sure, it's just a bsp shell, but you can build more visual landmarks into the map to help players understand where they are, and how that relates to other spaces. Currently everything has a samey feel. Use shapes, colors, lighting as identifiable elements to make areas stand out.
                          David Spalinski
                          @spazinski
                          Epic Games

Comment

FYI, the ground is not visible leading up to this jumppad. Not sure you need a death pit here either, but definitely would be worth making the visuals for what you intend gameplay-wise obvious.

Attached Files
                            David Spalinski
                            @spazinski
                            Epic Games

Comment

... That's a lot of pickups in one spot.

EDIT, appears the image I attached didn't make it.
                              Last edited by Spazinski; 08-27-2014, 04:55 PM.
                              David Spalinski
                              @spazinski
                              Epic Games

Comment

Working...
                              X