Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CTF-Infusion [WorkingTitle]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    CTF-Infusion [WorkingTitle]

    Download Pak File aWIP08

    DOWNLOAD EDITOR SOURCE FILES(coming)


    Update 03232015

    Bits of the layout has been tweaked. Mostly in the middle area. The flag room was covered up a bit more from the last version and also played around with the item placement (removed the jump boots and helmets, added one Keg in each base).
    The door to get the amp in the mid is still there but I reduced the amount of damage required to get the door open.
    Still playing around with the quick exit out of the base, but the current idea is to have an oscillating machine (placeholder) that moves back and forth on a minute timeloop.
    Finally, made the overall layout a bit smaller in the z-axis. I've found that I need to do this on all my maps it seems since movement updates happened a while back.
    Stuff may still be tweaked as gameplay changes but as always, feedback is welcome.


    Video:





    Update 01282015
    Updated the map for 4.7
    No major changes since last version.



    Hello all,
    So went back to this one after letting it simmer for a few months. Layout has been largely changed and updated to match the current state of the game.
    The general premise remains the same with the theme and mirrored symmetry of the map (so there will be side switching at halftime)

    Update 01/09/2015
    - Layout changed largely in the bases. Made tighter and focused.
    - Added the BP for flowing goo that fills space between flag rooms and raises/lowers the level of damage goo pool.
    - Shuffled all weapon and item placements.
    - Removed the jump boots in each base and instead opted for a single jump boot pickup in the middle area. I think this makes the pick up more important since the boots can play a significant role in flag captures.
    - Made shootable BP door that hides the amp in the middle and also gives access to fast flag cap route. These may need to be tweaked as far as amount of damage needed and time for door to open and close, etc.
    - Other changes that can be seen in the video.

    As always everything is very WIP and feedback is very much welcome.
    Video:
    http://youtu.be/zmVttHK16hA

    cheers
    ^_^



    Hello again everyone,


    Update 09272014

    So I went back and redid the layout for this map since the initial layout wasn't quite working.

    Please see video to get an idea of the changes. (sorry about the break in the beginning of the video... didn't realize I was already recording ^_^)
    - The core layout is there but changed the way the middle area played out.
    - Switched the mirroring from U/V shaped to I-shaped
    - Made the overall map considerably smaller than the previous iterations
    - Switched out the Belt in mid for the Keg
    - Played around with the weapon placement to encourage more route options.
    http://youtu.be/BFUnqzxmiok


    Feedback will be well appreciated ^_^






    Update 09/07/2014

    Made all the changes based on Sidney and David's feedback (Thanks again)
    = The mid area slime pit was tweaked according to the suggestions by Sid, and making those changes actually also made the area a little bit tighter than the previous version which I was sort of thinking of ways to do that :-). It also allowed me to make more of the changes I wanted to make initially like making the cove for the Shield belt bigger.
    = Removed the keg and replaced with health vials. Also removed two health bubbles that were on the first level platform in the mid.
    = Reworked the flagroom based on feedback from Sid. I really like how the pit works better now (Also make all the pits shallower so players don't "sink" when they first fall in). Because of the flagroom rework, I also redid the basement. This was actually an opportunity for me since I was getting feedback that jumpboots seemed out of the way. I think this is because of the two entrances I had going down to the lower level. So....
    = Reworked the path to the lower level from the flagroom and also gave the space some more breathing room for combat to take place.
    = Another ramification of the flagroom rework was that the flagroom got a little bigger. This was good, too since I wanted to have a way for someone coming from the lower level to access the flag quicker without having to move to the side first. This worked out because I was simply able to have a cutout to expose the flag a little more.
    = Also, did some further work on just overall arch unify. I don't spend too much time doing this since I want to be able to explore ideas during the meshing phase :-)

    Video (PLS TURN DOWN VOLUME A LITTLE - Don't know why this video came out so loud!):
    http://youtu.be/aBeRTrsJ-gc



    UPDATE 09/01/2014

    First pass shell completed and download link is also available.

    A few notes:
    - I think (based on feedback of course) I'll take David's advice and add another route across the mid. I want to see how this initial shell plays out though but I started playing with ideas for additional passes.
    - I am hoping to make this map play more towards a standard 5v5 player count.
    - I haven't spent as much time on architectural unification. I did try to make each area recognizable for players to know where they are and orient themselves. Not to mention the addition of chevrons (I love them!!!)


    Video:
    Video had to be recorded in editor view. I think there is a bug where playing the game in standalone mode always starts the map in DM-gamemode
    http://youtu.be/ZOmz9Al0zF8

    Hope you all enjoy.

    Cheers.

    BTW, a cooked version will come soon for the pre-alpha build. I don't know why I'm currently having some issues with map cooks.




    I started working earlier this week on another CTF map based on an idea for a map I started a few weeks ago. Basically, I am hoping to make this map more competitively focused with clearly defined control areas that teams can use to set up their offensive runs or defensive stands.

    So there is no download link at the moment, but I wanted to share the first WIP video I have for some parts of the middle area. I had started a few weeks ago with shelling out parts of the flag base, but I thought I would start getting the ideas I had scratched on paper for hte mid area and build that out in the editor.

    So:
    - The map is planned as a mirrored symmetrical "V" shaped level. Theme is industrial
    - The main powerups of the map will be in the middle area (at the bottom of the "V"). Some of this is what I show in the video
    http://youtu.be/HCg0jUjH690
    - Bases will then have three (at least) defined routes that can be interchanged and cut off. Most of these are still paper ideas but tbh, I have to build them out in the editor and see how it plays out.

    Some issues I've noticed are the lifts are still sort of broken so I couldn't show some jumps in the video. Also, the UTPainVolume has been broken since the 4.4 update so the damage when I fell in the slime pool didn't work.

    I hope to have a proper first pass and download link available in the coming days (possibly over the weekend since I get an extra day ^_^).

    Cheers
    Last edited by jayoplus; 03-23-2015, 04:59 PM. Reason: Updated
    MyArtstation
    @jayoplus

    #2
    Nice start. I like that midfield space. You'll probably need another space to move through the middle so that it isn't a funnel, but its depends on the player count you're going for.
    David Spalinski
    @spazinski
    Epic Games

    Comment


      #3
      maybe post a download link once you've got the bases in there?
      David Spalinski
      @spazinski
      Epic Games

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by David Spalinski View Post
        Nice start. I like that midfield space. You'll probably need another space to move through the middle so that it isn't a funnel, but its depends on the player count you're going for.
        Originally posted by David Spalinski View Post
        maybe post a download link once you've got the bases in there?
        I will post the DL link as soon as I have the bases.
        I am hoping for a standard 5v5 (optimal, but higher should be fine) player count so I want the middle area to play a role in the "map control" aspect. Each base will have jump boots so whoever runs the flags can hopefully use them to switch additional routes as they pass the mid.
        Another thought I had was the the sketch I have for the bases are pretty interconnected. The flag room is highly defensible so I wanted to give the offensive player options to switch routes within the base. Because of this it may be possible for the defense to "lose" the enemy FC so the middle area is sort of also acting as the map's choke point where the team that can control the middle will have the better chance??
        Hope that makes sense... Either way, there's nothing like actually running around in the map yourself so I will get that link asap! ^_^
        MyArtstation
        @jayoplus

        Comment


          #5
          UPDATE 2

          First pass shell completed and download link is also available. Click Here

          A few notes:
          - I think (based on feedback of course) I'll take David's advice and add another route across the mid. I want to see how this initial shell plays out though but I started playing with ideas for additional passes.
          - I am hoping to make this map play more towards a standard 5v5 player count.
          - I haven't spent as much time on architectural unification. I did try to make each area recognizable for players to know where they are and orient themselves. Not to mention the addition of chevrons (I love them!!!)


          Video:
          Video had to be recorded in editor view. I think there is a bug where playing the game in standalone mode always starts the map in DM-gamemode


          Hope you all enjoy.

          Cheers.

          BTW, a cooked version will come soon for the pre-alpha build. I don't know why I'm currently having some issues with map cooks.
          MyArtstation
          @jayoplus

          Comment


            #6
            So I have a link for the cooked version of the map for those who only have access to the pre-alpha builds - HERE Please understand that this is prealpha and all the stuff that's broken will hopefully be fixed :-)

            Otherwise, the UE4 editor link has been updated in the main post. I just did a bit of tweaking of lift values (lifts were broken when I was building the map but seems to have been fixed now ^_^)

            cheers
            MyArtstation
            @jayoplus

            Comment


              #7
              It's looking great so far. I like the additions in your WIP2 version. Just like your other CTF, it's got a cohesive feel throughout. All of the separate parts feel like they should be components of the same machine that is the map.
              David Spalinski
              @spazinski
              Epic Games

              Comment


                #8
                Just ran around the latest version a bit.

                two bits of feedback.
                the round rooms in each base (the hub before the flag rooms) could use some marking on the floor the help players from getting lost. It's easy to get spun around in a round room. The horitizontal pipe helps, but I think you could make a part of the floor there a different texture to help additionally. I also feel like that spot under the pipe could support a weapon like the rocket launcher. That will help landmark one side of the circular room for players as well (the rocket launcher is on the side of the round room closest to the flag/closest to the midfield.

                second thought... the poison damage pits in the midfield don't need to be so deep to be effective. In fact, falling in the pits right now is more punishing than it needs to be imo. I think you could make the depth of the pit quite shallow overall such that there is no or little swimming. Just my 2 cents on that subject.
                David Spalinski
                @spazinski
                Epic Games

                Comment


                  #9
                  Thanks David for the pointers.
                  Those are definitely things that I had not thought about :-) and I am going to fix.

                  cheers ^_^
                  MyArtstation
                  @jayoplus

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Got a chance to spend some time with this today and put together some feedback.

                    Overall really dig it, David already made lots of good points. My favorite bit is probably the big piston junction room in front of the flag bases.

                    My feedback:

                    I would overall suggest to focus more on bigger shapes. You have lots of strong stuff going on there but it gets a bit dangerous the more noodly it gets with little details. It also tends to make things more snaggy and busy than they need to be. A lot of these create weird busy cuts that in turn create lots of weird sharp angles that don't read well.



                    See below for a quick example of what I mean. It's really all there already, I just think you need to simplify a bit and not overthink too much on a small scale. Let the big shapes speak for themselves and breathe a bit.



                    I really dig the overall concept of the flag room but I felt some parts lacked a bit of definition and bled into one another too much. I took a quick stab at tweaking some things to show you what I mean.

                    - The hole in the ground felt way too close to the slime pit. You can see it in the previous picture but I basically just carved some space so it can be pushed back which allows for a nicer combat space in front of the slime.
                    - I really dig the slime pit and potential for jumping across the little ring around the pillar but it felt a little too open and undefined before since you could really just go left or right anyways making things more porous than I felt they should be. I pulled the ramps in a bit and made the pit fit it snugly so now you are forced to translocate across or hop. This causes fallout for reworking the lower part a bit but I feel it'd be worth it.
                    - I also moved the pillar forward a bit and extended it to allow for a little bit of cover to shoot around up there.
                    - I simplified the ramps as well and removed what I felt was an awkward hole underneath the ammo pickups. The ramps also now butt up against the wall. It just made the space cleaner to navigate IMO



                    Minor and I understand you were trying to maintain symmetry between the two pillars here but I think it's worth figuring something out to avoid sticky corners like that.



                    I really love this structure in the room and it's fun to run across but it needs some proper tweaking to reasonably show that it's blocked and/or can't be translocated through (since having translocator accessible shortcuts is an expected feature). So I'd suggest either putting some glass around it and/or just adding an upper element to it that allows you to see across but isn't tall enough to fit a player.



                    Ties in a bit with the first comment - I'd really try avoiding sharp angles like this as much as possible. They don't really add anything and just make it harder to navigate.



                    I like the idea of the slime channel running through the center of the map but I feel things got a bit too cramped here and the channel feel gets lost going around the corner. In turn it also creates a bit of a weird little corner slime pit. I'd suggest narrowing that bridge down a lot as it really doesn't need to be as wide and push the little outcropping at the bottom up a bit to be flush with it again. You could also give the bridge a little lower profile to allow the slime to visibly flow underneath it and/or add some grating/glass in the middle.




                    Good stuff man, keep it up!
                    Attached Files

                    Comment


                      #11
                      wow that map look so good
                      like the diverent coluer s

                      Comment


                        #12
                        All good stuff Sid, I especially agree about the slime channel feedback now that you point it out. I think that will definitely improve the visual impact it has on the midfield and reinforce it as a focal element.
                        David Spalinski
                        @spazinski
                        Epic Games

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Clawfist View Post
                          Got a chance to spend some time with this today and put together some feedback.

                          Overall really dig it, David already made lots of good points. My favorite bit is probably the big piston junction room in front of the flag bases.

                          My feedback:

                          I would overall suggest to focus more on bigger shapes. You have lots of strong stuff going on there but it gets a bit dangerous the more noodly it gets with little details. It also tends to make things more snaggy and busy than they need to be. A lot of these create weird busy cuts that in turn create lots of weird sharp angles that don't read well.



                          See below for a quick example of what I mean. It's really all there already, I just think you need to simplify a bit and not overthink too much on a small scale. Let the big shapes speak for themselves and breathe a bit.



                          I really dig the overall concept of the flag room but I felt some parts lacked a bit of definition and bled into one another too much. I took a quick stab at tweaking some things to show you what I mean.

                          - The hole in the ground felt way too close to the slime pit. You can see it in the previous picture but I basically just carved some space so it can be pushed back which allows for a nicer combat space in front of the slime.
                          - I really dig the slime pit and potential for jumping across the little ring around the pillar but it felt a little too open and undefined before since you could really just go left or right anyways making things more porous than I felt they should be. I pulled the ramps in a bit and made the pit fit it snugly so now you are forced to translocate across or hop. This causes fallout for reworking the lower part a bit but I feel it'd be worth it.
                          - I also moved the pillar forward a bit and extended it to allow for a little bit of cover to shoot around up there.
                          - I simplified the ramps as well and removed what I felt was an awkward hole underneath the ammo pickups. The ramps also now butt up against the wall. It just made the space cleaner to navigate IMO



                          Minor and I understand you were trying to maintain symmetry between the two pillars here but I think it's worth figuring something out to avoid sticky corners like that.



                          I really love this structure in the room and it's fun to run across but it needs some proper tweaking to reasonably show that it's blocked and/or can't be translocated through (since having translocator accessible shortcuts is an expected feature). So I'd suggest either putting some glass around it and/or just adding an upper element to it that allows you to see across but isn't tall enough to fit a player.



                          Ties in a bit with the first comment - I'd really try avoiding sharp angles like this as much as possible. They don't really add anything and just make it harder to navigate.



                          I like the idea of the slime channel running through the center of the map but I feel things got a bit too cramped here and the channel feel gets lost going around the corner. In turn it also creates a bit of a weird little corner slime pit. I'd suggest narrowing that bridge down a lot as it really doesn't need to be as wide and push the little outcropping at the bottom up a bit to be flush with it again. You could also give the bridge a little lower profile to allow the slime to visibly flow underneath it and/or add some grating/glass in the middle.




                          Good stuff man, keep it up!
                          Holy!! Thanks for the insight and feedback Sidney.
                          I was already making changes based on David's feedback and this is just more awesomeness :-)
                          I will take all these into consideration. I love what you've done with the flag room... I'm glad my intentions with the slime pit came across well :-) and thanks for the improvement in execution. I will apply that in the next update.
                          Cheers ^_^

                          Originally posted by FK_nero View Post
                          wow that map look so good
                          like the diverent coluer s
                          Thanks FK_nero
                          MyArtstation
                          @jayoplus

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Quick bit of feedback to add to the pile Sid just gave you. I showed this map to Jim today, and he remarked that he liked the flag rooms, but also that he felt you may have too many powerups close together in the center of the map. You won't know for sure until you test, but I think that's a good prediction.
                            David Spalinski
                            @spazinski
                            Epic Games

                            Comment


                              #15
                              ...continuing that thought about the powerups in the middle. Jim suggested removing the keg, while keeping the others, and I think he's spot on. The hallway the keg is in will be useful regardless of what's in there. It's useful cover for flag runners in certain situations. If you want to put something in that hallway, consider a path of vials to create audio cues to alert other players.
                              David Spalinski
                              @spazinski
                              Epic Games

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X