DM-Campgrounds-G1E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Campgrounds-G1E

DM-Campgrounds-G1E (Guyver1 Edition) (Yes the same Guyver1 from UT2004 version)

Description:
    Former Dark Water Refinery, recently decommissioned and passed to the Liandri Arena Division for conversion into a Tournament Arena.
    The refinery processed Dark Water from the vast lake below and refined it for use in Liandri Plasma Reactors.
    The resultant mineral by-products were also valuable as components in the manufacture of body armour for Tournament participants.

The ground floor was originally the sealed dark water refining tank with the central rotunda housing the refining rods and refining machinery, with a control room located where the Rocket Launcher now sits. The ground floor shows the corrosion of the refining process while the upper floors housed clean rooms, barreling room and living space for the engineers and scientists who were 'camped' at the refinery in 12 month rotations.

Liandri arena designers opened the tank and created the various ramps up to the first floor.
    While most of the equipment from the refinery was salaged, unsalvagable/broken parts were re-used or left in-situ to give the arena its now notorious layout.

Background/Context:
    This is a complete ground up rebuild/redux of my G1E UT2004 version of Campgrounds which was a modified version of the original version that was built for 2003 (I cant remember who built that original, but I did ask their permission for the UT2004 G1E version)
    This is my first map ever in UE4/UT4 and I haven't mapped since the glory days of 2004 when I was among other things:
    [DOA] UK Clan leader (competing in Clanbase etc)
    Wireplay UT2003/4 Community Liaison Officer and Server admin and tournament guy.
    briefly Epic Games IRC moderator (I think back when UT2003 went retail)

There are a few G1E UT2004 maps out there. I primarily did these modification for the 1v1 competitive scene at the time.

### KNOWN ISSUES/WARNINGS ###
    Due to the alpha nature of the game currently I am only building this map based on Epic/High settings.
    Given the constant changes of the engine, renderer, lighting system etc I will not currently being building or testing for people using Medium/Low settings
    Until the engine is 'locked down' and the game either beta or about to go gold, this map will be considered beta and unfinished until such time constant recooking is no longer required and engine stability is
    achieved

UT4 Map:
    Current version - Beta v6 (30/07/2017)
    Gameplay Preview (vAlpha9) - https://youtu.be/IO8xqmE_gtA
    Beta_v6 walkaround - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzbFF_uZ6WU
    Beta_v6 Imgur Screenshot album - http://imgur.com/a/r34v1

DOWNLOAD:
    https://utcc.unrealpugs.com/content/...ampgrounds-G1E

Versioning:
    Beta_v6 (30/07/2017)

Environmental sounds!!
    Detailing the shield belt platform
    Detailing the 50a area
    Detailing the link gun room
    modified some decals in main rotunda

Beta_v5 (22/07/2017)
    Removed Emissive glowing material trim from all walls after various feedback.
    re-worked 50a area with two new water tanks (10 damage per second, can be jump-mantled out of before death) and some pipework detailing and railings on the upper walkway.
    Added lighting to frame wall running area's.
    minor tweaks to some decals.

Beta_v4 (13/07/2017)
    recooked for July 12th Patch

Alternative version of Beta_v4 with none of the glowing lines on the walls (emissive trim) - https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...2M?usp=sharing

Beta v3 (10/07/2017)
    re-worked pillar room almost completely (wider, meshed out, lighting, pillars converted to static meshes)
    modified some reflection captures from box to sphere

Beta v2 (01/07/2017)
    replaced lower ground floor bsp with static mesh floor panel
    changed upper floor material (experimental)
    added reflection captures throughout map
    recooked for new June Patch.

Beta v1 (24/06/2017)
    Widened Sniper ledge doorways
    Widened doorway from flak to stairs
    Widened flak room by 50u to be able to widen doorway
    Changed floor material scale from 1.0 to 3.0 to match scale of proto floor mesh which material matches.
    Completed initial detailing of entire map
    Experimented with alternative jumppad area detailing design in link gun area as wanted something that looked more 'functional' and appeared to be part of the facility before conversion into an arena (not sure how i feel about it, but don't like the fact I have to use a 32sided BSP cylinder which you can see the faces)
    Changed tops of 4 pillars to the be floor static mesh

Alpha_v10 (18/06/2017)
    Widened doorways
    Modified Pillars in Pillar room
    Modified Shock room lighting
    Modified Link Gun lighting
    replaced ramps with steps meshes
    replaced floor in stairwells with meshes and added water/pipe detailing.
    general map detailing.

Alpha_v09 (04/06/2017)
    widened pillar room by 2m based on feedback.
    tweaked lighting for shock rifle and link gun areas.
    progressed overall map detailing.
    Added Unreal Universe Map description

Alpha_v08 (29/05/2017)
    Post-Processing pass to improve reflections.
    Modified shock and flak rooms for consistency of theme.
    Completed emmissive trim work

Alpha v07 (27/05/2017
    Big visual update.
    Emissive wall detailing.
    started adding detailing to map.
    no longer changing title of the forum thread so that external linking is always the same.

Alpha v06 (22/05/2017)
    Started adding trim and lighting detail.
    Updated all lighting and added lighting meshes.
    Moved uDamage onto plinth and added health vials for wall running in central chamber upper wall area.
    Moved 50a to central area's old udamage location. (30 sec timer)
    Moved 100a to 50a original location. (60 sec delayed timer)
    Added shield belt to old 100a upper platform (60 sec timer)
    removed 2 health vials from wide upper walk way opposite sniper to balance out vials added to central wall run.

alpha v05
    Massive update!
    totally rebuilt with improved scaling, symmetry and textures.
    LOTS of wall running options

alpha v04
    BRAND NEW AREA! (flash of inspiration from what Epic did with Deck16 and opened a new route) ### possibly very controversial!! ###
    Added concave wallrun area's colored yellow to spice up options to and from the 100 armor and sniper ledge.
    Modified the basic lighting somewhat.
    added different coloring to pillars to give some depth and break the coloring up slightly.
    still experimenting with "to roof or not to roof", currently roof.

alpha v03
    Experimenting with roof
    Modified udamage area jump-pad so its easier to wall dodge away and land on the upper floor.
    Blocking volume added to udamage main area roof hole

alpha v02 (attached screenshots)
    modified external scene and rotated map for better planet placement.
    replaced columns with static meshes.
    replaced curved sniper walkway and wall with static meshes
    added colored lighting so that coloring reflects gun/shield placement (thinking about spectating/esports/twitch/streaming)

alpha v01
    basic geometry, texturing and lighting
    basic external scene
    item placement matches UT2004 version

“I agree that this content constitutes a Submission under the Unreal Engine EULA ( https://www.unrealengine.com/eula ).
    Last edited by Guyver1; 07-30-2017, 11:26 AM.

Updated to Alpha v02.

Comment

Thank you for share'n your works with the rest of us Guyver1! Loaded onto the LoPing Arena for your enjoyment.
      Incase you've missed works from another avid mapper, info.
      Last edited by ÐutchSmºke; 05-06-2017, 11:51 AM. Reason: Loaded
      LoPing
      Explosive High Voltage UT99

Comment

Cheers, feedback on the flow would be appreciated.
        Yeah I've seen the other version. It appears that one is going in a different direction totally to mine.

Comment

Overall well recieved! The only thing most agree on is the scale, it does feel abit too tight, maybe a 4-5% increase would do the trick also don't forget to block off the roof. Keep up the good work!
          LoPing

Comment

Just so I don't scale up the whole map unnecessarily:

What was the player count?
            Was it specific area's that felt tight or the whole map in general? (was this due to crampness of movement or the feeling that you were immediately in a firefight upon spawn with no escape?)
            Have you tested it 1v1? (might not require scaling for 1v1, only for DM/TDM)

Cheers for your assistance with this, much appreciated.

Comment

We played it 1v1 and with 3-5 on and it was just a preliminary response to having played it a few times.
              I'll be the first to admit that plenty of small 1v1 maps started out feeling constricted when first played, only to endup highly enjoyable the more it's played.
              LoPing

Comment

Updated to alpha v03

DOWNLOAD:

alpha v03 map and screenshots:
                https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-...VAxdG9mNlJtZlk
                .pak MD5 - 698e8dc735a0c68aed12cd888aa26a73

alpha v03
                Experimenting with roof
                Modified udamage area jump-pad so its easier to wall dodge away and land on the upper floor.
                Blocking volume added to udamage main area roof hole

Comment

Very experimental 'flash of inspiration' coming in v04 on the weekend. Personally I think its a stroke of genius! But it could be the most hated thing ever!

Comment

UPDATE 14th May:
                    alpha v04
                    BRAND NEW AREA! (flash of inspiration from what Epic did with Deck16 and opened a new route) ### possibly very controversial!! ###
                    Added concave wallrun area's coloured yellow to spice up options to and from the 100 armor and sniper ledge.
                    Modified the basic lighting somewhat.
                    added different colouring to pillars to give some depth and break the colouring up slightly.
                    still experimenting with "to roof or not to roof", currently roof.

DOWNLOAD:
                    All iterations & screenshots are available here - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-...WNmX2FPM0pPcVk

Comment

Neat, I've been waiting for this one.

I remember doing a port of DM-Campgrounds-G1E (the one the people remember as "the one with the annoying music") by using one of the conversion tools that were available back on the early days of this game.
                      It came with many challenges (it didn't convert any of the jumppads, pickups or stair elements) and had to be re-scaled to accommodate with the new movement system.
                      I'm feeling better about this, now that the original author is back at it. With my limited experience, I couldn't really do it justice. Looking forward to see this completed, I'm going to host this on my HUB as well.
                      Last edited by FrostbyteGR; 05-14-2017, 08:01 AM.
                      > FreezeTag [Blueprint]
                      > Reimagining of Greed [BluePrint]
                      > Avarice, a DM-variant of Greed [BluePrint]

Comment

Thanks for the v04, Guyver1!
                        LoPing

Comment

if it still feels cramped, let me know and i'll start looking at resizing bits of it. (have a few ideas already)

Comment

Started building a new slightly larger version of the map next to the existing one as an exercise in scaling options.

Will possibly release v05 with the ability to teleport between both so you can play in both at the same time and see how one compares to the other (may also show whether the existing one is suited to Duel only or just too small and tight regardless of player count.

Comment

!! UPDATED !!
                              19/05

alpha v05
                              Massive update!
                              totally rebuilt with improved scaling, symmetry and textures.
                              LOTS of wall running options

Download link as always at the top.

https://imgur.com/gallery/hbREW if you prefer your screenshots on imgur

Comment

Working...
                              X