Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Roundabout

Hi everyone,

This is my first map that I've gotten to a releasable alpha state. I've been working on this map on and off for about two years, but I recently got determined to finally finish it once and for all.

The idea for this map is that it's supposed to have a very circular flow, with a shortcut hallway cutting right through the middle. There's a UDamage pickup in the middle of the central hallway, as well as a sniping area overlooking it, which allows you to contest and counter any player who might be trying to get it. Hopefully you guys can let me know how you feel about the flow of the map and let me know how I can make it better.

This map also features a song for the background music that I wrote myself. I would consider it to be in the Liquid Drum and Bass genre. It has a lot of lush synths and driving digital percussion, with a melodic sub bass (which you might not be able to hear if you are listening on lower quality speakers).
    I guess you guys can be the judge as to whether or not the song fits in with the overall feel of UT. I think it's good to innovate, and I don't want the map's music to sound exactly like the music from previous UTs, but I don't want it to be too different to the point where it feels out of place or not thematically appropriate.

I hope you guys enjoy this map. If you have any ideas for how I could improve it, please feel free to let me know.

UPDATE 10/7/2017: Early progress on 1st art pass

Click image for larger version

Name:	Roundabout Screenshot EarlyArt 01.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	393802Click image for larger version

Name:	Roundabout Screenshot EarlyArt 02.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	393811Click image for larger version

Name:	Roundabout Screenshot EarlyArt 03.png
Views:	86
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	393808Click image for larger version

Name:	Roundabout Screenshot EarlyArt 04.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	393809Click image for larger version

Name:	Roundabout Screenshot EarlyArt 05.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	393810Click image for larger version

Name:	Roundabout Screenshot EarlyArt 06.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	393803Click image for larger version

Name:	Roundabout Screenshot EarlyArt 07.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	393806Click image for larger version

Name:	Roundabout Screenshot EarlyArt 09.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	393804Click image for larger version

Name:	Roundabout Screenshot EarlyArt 10.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	393805Click image for larger version

Name:	Roundabout Screenshot EarlyArt 11.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	393807

(Original WIP Shell Screenshots):

Click image for larger version  Name:	Roundabout Screenshot 01.png Views:	3 Size:	785.7 KB ID:	393353Click image for larger version  Name:	Roundabout Screenshot 02.png Views:	1 Size:	631.7 KB ID:	393348Click image for larger version  Name:	Roundabout Screenshot 03.png Views:	2 Size:	868.3 KB ID:	393351Click image for larger version  Name:	Roundabout Screenshot 04.png Views:	1 Size:	725.0 KB ID:	393352

Gameplay Screenshots:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Roundabout Screenshot Gameplay 01.png Views:	2 Size:	870.8 KB ID:	393396Click image for larger version  Name:	Roundabout Screenshot Gameplay 02.png Views:	2 Size:	951.3 KB ID:	393397Click image for larger version  Name:	Roundabout Screenshot Gameplay 03.png Views:	2 Size:	916.1 KB ID:	393394Click image for larger version  Name:	Roundabout Screenshot Gameplay 04.png Views:	2 Size:	924.7 KB ID:	393395
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TheBestUsername; 10-07-2017, 01:11 AM.
    DM-Roundabout:
    https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...-dm-roundabout

I decided to upload some in-game screenshots as well, to give you guys a better sense of what the map is like. If anyone is interested, I might record and post a gameplay video as well in the near future.
    DM-Roundabout:

Comment

I just decided to do a quick update showing some of the (very early) progress I've made on my first art pass on the map. I'm trying to make it look sort of like an old brick factory building that's been recently renovated with high-tech Liandri equipment. I figured having brick buildings would give the level a different look from everything else I've seen for UT4 so far, while giving the map a lot more color and interest, so the whole thing isn't just the stock, stark white Liandri set. I might even try adding some vines or ivy growing along the brick walls, as well, to give the map even more pops of color to keep things visually interesting, and to have more contrast between the older, worn exterior and the pristine, high-tech interior.

Please feel free to let me know what you think of it so far, and to offer some suggestions for how I could improve it, if you'd like. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
      Last edited by TheBestUsername; 10-07-2017, 01:04 AM.
      DM-Roundabout:

Comment

Good stuff.

I like the brick idea, you could try giving it industrial XIX century factory look. That factory would be then converted into modern facility, hence the white Outpost assets. There are some light spots on the walls which look strange. Overall every part of the map looks the same, without any landmarks, but I think that's because its still very early in development.

I am not sure about gameplay (had just a short run) but I feel that flow and scale are okey. Not the biggest fan of the exposed narrow middle passage. - It could easily become a death zone. Were you making sketches during process of making this map? Are the top-down views among them? Sketching is crucial part of making the map (!) In short: When you visualize something on paper: Its faster, more effective and your brain works better, allowing you to shift focus from one are to another and think of the map as a whole as well. I am sure maps like Aerowalk/Deck/Cure/Fuse must have been drawn while made.

I think I know what makes this map feel slightly odd: Its the fact that there is no room-like defined areas, everything is kind of connected all together like in a maze (although it is not confusing to move around your map, it is just hard to define where I am and why I am there). Your work is good beginning, but you have to move forward: Start dividing your map into specific areas with their own purpose, don't be afraid of expanding some rooms, blocking others, even if that means moving large groups of meshes/boxes.

Good luck with your map!
        For maps and drawings visit: conradjustin.com

Comment

Thank you for sharing your works with us TheBestUsername! Loaded onto the LoPing Arena for your enjoyment.
          LoPing
          Explosive High Voltage UT99

Comment

ConradJustin : First of all, thanks so much for taking the time to take a look at this and provide some feedback. I really appreciate it.

I'm really glad you like the idea I'm going for with making it look like some sort of 19th century factory/modern facility. I thought it would be a cool idea in theory, but I wasn't sure what other people would think, so I'm glad you seem to like it.

As for the lack of any discernible landmarks or visually distinct areas, as you said, that's because it's very early on and most of the level is still rough BSP geometry. I'll definitely put extra thought into making every area visually distinct and easily recognizable as I continue doing my first rough art pass, though.

I'm glad you think the flow and scale seem right. That's a very important part to get right, so if that seems good, then I think I'm on the right track.

As for the narrow middle passage, you might be right to an extent, but that area is usually pretty low traffic unless the UDamage is up. I can definitely see a lot of deaths happening if multiple players are contesting the UDamage at once, but, then again, it might be a good thing for players to have kind of a big battle there in the center of the level. and, plus, there's a wide variety of ways to both enter and exit the passage, and it's possible to dodge/wall slide along the sloped sides of the passage, and you can jump out of it if you have the Jump Boots, so hopefully with all those options it shouldn't be too difficult for players to dodge or escape enemies if they need to. But, then again, you might be right, so some playtesting with some experienced players would probably help to determine whether or not it needs tweaking.

Also, in the case of this particular map, no, I didn't sketch it out first, I kind of made it up as I went along. I know it's always better to plan it out on paper first, but I didn't do that with this map, as I was much less experienced when I first started it. However, I ended up coming up with a lot of cool ideas just by playing around with the geometry and not having any preconceived ideas of how I wanted it to be, and the best parts of the map never would have turned out the way they did if I had rigorously planned everything first. But the downside of that approach, of course, is that certain areas can end up feeling, maybe not "random" per se, but they feel like they're a bunch of interconnected rooms which individually serve no greater purpose to the level as a whole. So, yeah, I'm in agreement with you on that, though it's hard to know what specifically I should change. So far I've redone the Jump Boots area, and I think it's way better for it, but I'm not really sure what to do about the other areas. Right now I'd say the best parts of the map are the areas around the grenade launcher/100 armor, and the area around the rocket launcher. I'd say the rest of it needs some serious tweaking.

If you have any specific suggestions as to what I should change, feel free to let me know. Thanks again for taking the time to take a look at my map.

DutchSmoke : Thanks so much for putting up my map on LoPing. It really means a lot to me. I hope people have fun on it. Hopefully I'll get some helpful constructive feedback from people playing it.
            DM-Roundabout:

Comment

I only played a few bot games on it, so pls dont value too much. All I want to share is that it feels like all the lifts and jumpads etc are just kinda loose threads that need to be proberly continued. It wasen't a bad map by all means, but needs some more opportunities to do some crazy jumps to spice it up a little. God work so far and I hope that you polish this map to be a true gem!!

Comment

Wow. My God, it's been over a year! xD Over the last year I've been occasionally dabbling in the editor and doing an art pass on the level. I haven't gotten a whole lot done in that time, due to work and school obligations, focusing on other hobbies instead (I also write music, as well. I like to do all sorts of things), and, of course, straight up procrastination and laziness.

But, recently, I've been really missing mapping for UT, so I've been diving back into it and having a blast. I've been able to be much more productive and do much more quality work, in large part because I've been in much better mental and physical health than I was the last time I posted.

So, here I am, risen again from the depths of inactive-ness!

So far, I've mostly only made aesthetic changes to the level. I haven't changed too much gameplay-wise, yet. In the future I'm planning to delete most of the level, except for the key, interesting areas, and draw a plan on paper to re-do the awkward/boring areas. As others correctly noticed, I didn't have too much of a plan going in, and a lot of the level was made room-by-room, rather than having a planned, flowing layout in mind.

For now, I'm actually probably going to be focusing on blocking-out a new layout for a new DM level that I have in mind, but I definitely plan on finishing this level eventually! It's been a slow process (which is mostly my fault), but I've come too far to turn back now.

I'm gonna post some screenshots of the new art-pass work I've done since the last time I posted in a few minutes.

Comment

For all three of you who care (hopefully there's more of you left here than that, despite Epic xD), Here are some screens of the art I've gotten done on and off over the past... wow, I guess 11 months??

Comment

H, looks like I can't edit the OP because I made a new account, so... Oh, well. Maybe if I really need to I'll make a new thread for this in the future. Who knows?

Comment

Oh, one more thing! I made a train to go in the background entirely out of pre-existing UT and Epic objects, with a few custom textures. lemme know what you think.

Comment

Working...
                      X