CTF-HolyOak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PROTOTYPE] CTF-HolyOak

Download: https://utcc.unrealpugs.com/content/282-CTF-HolyOak 205MB (bottom of page under Versions)

Hey, I've been working on this one for a while. HolyOak is a symmetrical CTF map set in old ruins. Each team's base is a little tight with few wide open areas. The flag is tucked into the back of the base with a quick escape route to the floor below. The midfield two primary routes, above ground and below ground. Above ground has a variety of paths with the belt in the center. Underground has more cover but fewer escapes and a Udmg in the center.

Design
    Most of the meshes are custom assets. The primary mesh you see everywhere is the arch which was taken from the game's assets and modified into a few variations. The animated trees are from the Unreal Engine Marketplace. The remainder is mostly BSP converted to static mesh with added detail. I tried to keep the terrain relatively flat and easy to read for the player.

Performance
    I manage to get a steady 60fps 1440p Epic settings using my GTX 1070, so it should perform a bit better than the stock Epic maps.
    If you are playing using Low settings, be sure to go into Advanced video settings and turn up the foliage render distance to at least 50%. The default distance is so low that the foliage (leaves on the walls) doesn't render until you walk right up to it. This may work for grass, but it's very obvious when the foliage is on the walls.

Comments
    I hope you enjoy the map! I am open to any feedback regarding layout, item placement, visuals, etc. If you hit a collision snag somewhere, or other major issues let me know. I'm planning to add some more polish to parts of the map.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    More images can be found in this gallery: https://imgur.com/a/kRQGT
    UT4 work-in-progress
    CTF-Remy | DM-Nine | DM-Pilgrim

Looks good, will give it a play later.

Comment

Looks insanely beautiful tidu!
      Unreal Carnage.com
      UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx
      UT3 Maps: DM-MCC-Hangar DM-MCC-SpaceNoxx DM-MCC-DeathFan DM-MCC-Fith and more...

Comment

Looks very good! There is interesting style of art on this map: it neither liandri high tech nor gloomy gothik style, it seems pretty bright to me du to usage of light, foliage and specific style of architecture.

Comment

Hey Tidu,

great map man, looks beautiful! Thanks for this and your hard work!
          Found a small map/hole on the red flag area. One can jump on the floor on the cursor-cross, and then falls through to the lover floor, and then under the map. Seems like not to happen on the blue side (blocking volumne in place).

Update: also happens on the blue side ... once one jumps up there, and then whiggle the movment forward A/S/W there is a hole ...
          Last edited by Mr Van; 01-07-2018, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Great map, thank you very much for sharing it with us !

Comment

Thanks for the comments everyone! And man you guys are good at finding holes in the map. I overlooked that area in the back of the base up the steps. I'll fix both sides for the next release.

I saw a post on discord that said someone's game crashed on startup when they added the map to the proper folder... if someone else encounters this let me know!
              UT4 work-in-progress
              CTF-Remy | DM-Nine | DM-Pilgrim

Comment

I hope to give you an in-depth feedback later (next week).

For now...

1) It is a pity that you ended up meshing the map. This means the map is ruled-out for the PUG CTF scene as they mostly refuse to play meshed maps. Also I didn't play ctf-Remy as my laptop was broken back in May/June.
                BUT at the same time I love the looks of this map!!! So beautiful! I even love some unused areas such as arcs above link area. Therefore I hope you push the map to marketplace (once it is a thing) so that at least the PUB community can benefit from it.

2) Consider providing more breathing space in vertical movement. Not necessarily going on top of buildings, that would be terrible sniper-wise but at least enable translocation on top of those walls by belt ... and similar. I hate to constantly bump my translocator disk because of low ceiling.

3) It feels like loads of paths for the carrier .. maybe even too many, but I would need to play against real players to check this. At least it is an interesting and different feel for now. Usually you don't have that many options.

What is going on with the bell? It rings when you score a flag? Nice.

Also ... having a sniper nest in the bell tower would be a fun experiment .

One last comment for now ... weapon placement of the sniper rifle is not logical at the moment. Obviously it doesn't need to be! But compared to modern CTF maps produced by Epic Games, sniper is usually placed somewhere with a nice view.

One last last ... next to the belt area if you go up (the stairs) from the area below pillars ... I don't like the blocking volume on the large tree root. It looks nice but makes the movement difficult. Could you possibly sink it into the ground a bit more and make the blocking volume flat?

Great job!
                Last edited by Rainmaker_CZ; 01-12-2018, 08:18 PM.

Comment

A very nice job done here tidu! Keep Up the GoodWorks!

Comment

Working...
                  X