DM-Lathe 1v1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Lathe 1v1

Click image for larger version  Name:	lathe.jpg Views:	1 Size:	245.7 KB ID:	397781

Hi. New map, designed for duel, ready for playing.

It's basically a BSP shell, but with some textures and atmospherics to hopefully encourage trying it

Looking forward to your feedback on how games play, what could be changed to make it more fun.

Obtain via UTCC: https://utcc.unrealpugs.com/map/310-Lathe

Short video intro:

Last edited by the_hack; 04-02-2018, 06:59 PM.
    Maps: DM-Dying_Sun WIP & DM-TokaraSwamp
    www.shockandrockets.com

In beta. There area few things to do, but the layout is more or less set. I'll make a few tweaks going forward (getting rid of some catchy steps).

This game is me and siik another au player. We both don't duel regularly at the moment but hopefully the games show the map's potential. The first game was the one I meant to upload, but wasn't satisfied we showed the map well enough, so there are two games in the video. Sorry about the microphone audio, that's me and the gf just hanging out in the living room sweet talking and being ridiculous.

Lathe is a seminal project for me, carrying forward the work I've done over the last year in the other maps. I'll be 'finishing' it over time. It has a clear theme already though and the tuba assets seem to work well with it.

Try it for 1v1! 2v2 is also ok, or a small dm (4 or less).

www.shockandrockets.com

Comment

Looks like a good map, like the visual theme youve got going on aswell!
      _____________________________________________________________________________________
      Me and my brothers maps:
      https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...ads-03-04-2017

Where are the ninja robots promised in UT3 trailer... plz lol.

Comment

Hello, i've been playing this map online with about 8 players.
        Apart that's the map has not been designed for that amount of players i think still there are some important gameplay issues about it.
        Some areas are way too dark. Some stairs are bad to fight against other players: there are too narrow and too high. Give players enough space in corridors, platforms to players to dodge and fight.
        I would suggest giving more room at center of map to enhance visibility.
        It feels like to be in some kind of maze sometimes.
        There is some good potential with this map but gameplay does not fit yet.

Comment

play it with 2 people or 2v2 and get back to me.
          www.shockandrockets.com

Comment

Divide the map into three distinct horizontal colour-coded sections, like a pie divided 3 ways, as the map appears too sporadic for any sense of control - making balanced TDM play nigh impossible.

You could make it very simple, white as the primary colour and the 3 pie sections being the colour wheel of the primary colours, with off-primary being the cap/trim area overlaps between the coloured zones.

I think glass flooring in some sections would help, and some bespoke meshing moving forward once the base design has been finalised.
            Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

so make a new map
              www.shockandrockets.com

Comment

Not at all!

There is always room for new maps, just heed the comments from ШιητεЯ
                Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Hey @ШιητεЯ thanks for trying the map. It really was made for duel or small dms, and some areas are deliberately tight. It's not going to work well for 4v4 elim especially if you do not know the map. If you randomly find yourself in these uncomfortable places, it's not going to feel good. Those places are basically meant as choke points for 1v1 games, and places for ridiculous encounters should a fight start up there. a nice situation is flaking someone who uses the bounce pad up the stairwell.

Room would be good for gametypes with lots of players, but for 1v1 I personally prefer tighter maps with shorter travel and engagements that happen around geometry or through different areas.

I believe visibility is much improved in the recent version from the one you played but I'll see how that can be improved.

Thanks for playing! You should get the latest one which will stick around for a while.
                  www.shockandrockets.com

Comment

Hi, i had tested a16 version, i've tested b2 (latest). Some improved visual i see.
                    Caution about map filesize it's now about 145MB (previously about 45MB).
                    This might be an issue online because most of players are impatient and won't stand waiting more than a minute to download.

Apart from that, my notes:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	DM-Lathe-b02-WindowsNoEditor-25-15.01.590.png
Views:	1
Size:	528.8 KB
ID:	398524

Name:	DM-Lathe-b02-WindowsNoEditor-25-15.02.150.png
Size:	517.8 KB
ID:	398525

Name:	DM-Lathe-b02-WindowsNoEditor-25-15.03.170.png
Size:	543.5 KB
ID:	398526

Name:	DM-Lathe-b02-WindowsNoEditor-25-15.03.250.png
Size:	534.6 KB
ID:	398527

Name:	DM-Lathe-b02-WindowsNoEditor-25-15.04.160.png
Size:	502.8 KB
ID:	398528

Comment

Thanks, have taken some into account.

Posting a random gameplay video. Also reverted to shell for indefinite future. May release a simultaneous mesh version in cooperation with another player, at some point. Shell for now.

www.shockandrockets.com

Comment

Working...
                      X