Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aerowalk remake

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    [PROTOTYPE] Aerowalk remake

    Hello everyone!

    I am a bit hesitant to post here after seeing the high quality of work that has been posted. I have done a very basic 'blocked out' layout of the Quake classic, Aerowalk. I am primarily seeking feedback regarding scale, item placement (which I admittedly have no experience in with this game), and any layout tweaks. I emphasize again that lighting and all architecture is temporary, and I want to get the layout ironed out 100% before I add any detailing that might potentially get deleted. So without further ado, here is the link:

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/677lfsugvf...lk1b.umap?dl=0 [updated]: Moved armor and made armor accessible via dodge jumps/lift jumps. Also, tweaked lighting.

    Any and ALL feedback is welcome.

    Issues that need to be addressed:
    * No sound cues on lifts
    * No sound cues on teleporters

    I greatly appreciate the time anyone spends to take a peak and offer any ideas/changes.
    Last edited by abraxxas13; 09-06-2014, 08:36 PM.

    #2
    Originally posted by abraxxas13 View Post
    Hello everyone!

    I am a bit hesitant to post here after seeing the high quality of work that has been posted. I have done a very basic 'blocked out' layout of the Quake classic, Aerowalk. I am primarily seeking feedback regarding scale, item placement (which I admittedly have no experience in with this game), and any layout tweaks. I emphasize again that lighting and all architecture is temporary, and I want to get the layout ironed out 100% before I add any detailing that might potentially get deleted. So without further ado, here is the link:

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vu2elmwoan...lk1a.umap?dl=0

    Any and ALL feedback is welcome.

    Issues that need to be addressed:
    * No sound cues on lifts
    * No sound cues on teleporters

    I greatly appreciate the time anyone spends to take a peak and offer any ideas/changes.
    Hi ! For the sounds you can go into the properties of the lifts/teleporters and you can select the correct sounds from there directly. They are already integrated in the content of the engine.

    1) Opened the map and I had quite a few errors on loading, have you followed the export procedure for the map ? https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...-Epic-s-builds
    2) Item placement: be careful with the armor. You have the belt just next to the tight pads for example. Weapons looks ok so far (you might want to add ammo refills to the map).
    3) The size of the map looks ok to me.

    I would suggest looking into the trick jumping / lift jumping to make this map a UT map. There are a lot of possiblities to add that in the map (check the other maps, we all have some trick jumping going in them).

    Otherwise there isn't much to say about the layout, it's proven to be a good map already from the Quake days. I would suggest lighting the map more (looks a bit too dark). I couldn't play in it as it makes my editor crash, but if you have a post-process volume then lighting then lighting might be good after all. Also it's funny to see a map done in substractive mode, but totally working !

    Keep up !
    RASTE IN PEACE !
    Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
    Weapon: Redeemer

    Comment


      #3
      z axis is a bit on the large side, but i personally like it. if you'd place an UTcharacter in the map, you'd see it yourself. we could argue that models are too small, but epic won't change that anyways.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Raste View Post
        Hi ! For the sounds you can go into the properties of the lifts/teleporters and you can select the correct sounds from there directly. They are already integrated in the content of the engine.

        1) Opened the map and I had quite a few errors on loading, have you followed the export procedure for the map ? https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...-Epic-s-builds
        2) Item placement: be careful with the armor. You have the belt just next to the tight pads for example. Weapons looks ok so far (you might want to add ammo refills to the map).
        3) The size of the map looks ok to me.

        I would suggest looking into the trick jumping / lift jumping to make this map a UT map. There are a lot of possiblities to add that in the map (check the other maps, we all have some trick jumping going in them).

        Otherwise there isn't much to say about the layout, it's proven to be a good map already from the Quake days. I would suggest lighting the map more (looks a bit too dark). I couldn't play in it as it makes my editor crash, but if you have a post-process volume then lighting then lighting might be good after all. Also it's funny to see a map done in substractive mode, but totally working !

        Keep up !
        Thanks for the quick and helpful reply!

        For the sounds you can go into the properties of the lifts/teleporters and you can select the correct sounds from there directly. They are already integrated in the content of the engine.
        I created my own blueprint for the teleporters using a couple tutorials I found online and pieced together. I am not using the teleporter like can be found in the CTF Face map, but rather a Box Trigger I created. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how I might edit the 'properties' to add sounds... As for the lifts, I am having problems finding what properties I edit to add sounds to these, as well

        1) Opened the map and I had quite a few errors on loading, have you followed the export procedure for the map ? https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...-Epic-s-builds
        Doh! Shows just how new I am to unreal editing. Thanks for the link! I have 'cooked' the map and re-uploaded to a new link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vu2elmwoan...lk1a.umap?dl=0

        2) Item placement: be careful with the armor. You have the belt just next to the tight pads for example. Weapons looks ok so far (you might want to add ammo refills to the map).
        I was a little worried this might be an issue. Do you have suggestions as to where the thigh pads might be placed?

        I would suggest looking into the trick jumping / lift jumping to make this map a UT map. There are a lot of possiblities to add that in the map (check the other maps, we all have some trick jumping going in them).
        I will look into adding the ability to reach alternate routes via lift/trick jumping. First I can think of is incorporating a ledge or something that can be used to propel from in the main atrium to reach the top level via the lift (jump).

        Otherwise there isn't much to say about the layout, it's proven to be a good map already from the Quake days. I would suggest lighting the map more (looks a bit too dark). I couldn't play in it as it makes my editor crash, but if you have a post-process volume then lighting then lighting might be good after all. Also it's funny to see a map done in substractive mode, but totally working !
        I found this thread regarding the lighting, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to access the example map that Clawfist created. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...ighting-Setups

        In reference to the mapping in subtractive mode comment... Interesting that you said that, because I initially started another map using only additive brushes, much in the way that you would create a Quake/Half-Life/Source based map. This is the method I have always used for creating levels, having never done anything with any unreal engine based games. After working this way for a couple weeks, I discovered that I could access the 'WIP' maps created by the guys at Epic. I realized that several of them were using this technique of using subtractive brushes to carve out large areas to make their layouts, and used additive brushes to fill in where needed. It was my belief at that point that I had been 'doing it wrong' and started over, using the method that can be presently seen.

        I am very new to unreal editing, as I mentioned, but have been creating levels in one form or another since 1998. I realize I have probably made many blatant errors, so any advice or help I can get to get me going in the right direction is greatly appreciated.
        Last edited by abraxxas13; 09-06-2014, 02:46 PM.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by duffte View Post
          z axis is a bit on the large side, but i personally like it. if you'd place an UTcharacter in the map, you'd see it yourself. we could argue that models are too small, but epic won't change that anyways.
          In regards to the z-axis... I started over 3-4 times, trying different scales sizes in each iteration. This scale seemed to feel the most true to the original quake version. If the popular consensus is that it feels like too much, I will see about making things a bit smaller.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by abraxxas13 View Post
            Thanks for the quick and helpful reply!


            I created my own blueprint for the teleporters using a couple tutorials I found online and pieced together. I am not using the teleporter like can be found in the CTF Face map, but rather a Box Trigger I created. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how I might edit the 'properties' to add sounds... As for the lifts, I am having problems finding what properties I edit to add sounds to these, as well
            They are already prepared ! The lifts, jump pads and teleporters are already coded in the engine so you don't need to redo them. Go into the content browser -> game -> restricted assets -> blueprints. Then simply drag into the view the one you want and fill in the settings in the properties window.

            Originally posted by abraxxas13 View Post
            I found this thread regarding the lighting, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to access the example map that Clawfist created. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...ighting-Setups
            Download the map, put it into the folder where you have all the maps (".\UnrealTournament-master\UnrealTournament\Content\Maps"), paste it in there. Then open the editor and file -> open level. Go to the file and click "ok"

            Originally posted by abraxxas13 View Post
            In reference to the mapping in subtractive mode comment... Interesting that you said that, because I initially started another map using only additive brushes, much in the way that you would create a Quake/Half-Life/Source based map. This is the method I have always used for creating levels, having never done anything with any unreal engine based games. After working this way for a couple weeks, I discovered that I could access the 'WIP' maps created by the guys at Epic, and realized that several of them were using this technique of using subtractive brushes to carve out large areas to make their layouts, and used additive brushes to fill in where needed. It was my belief at that point that I had been 'doing it wrong' and started over, using the method that can be presently seen.

            I am very new to unreal editing, as I mentioned, but have been creating levels in one form or another since 1998. I realize I have probably made many blatant errors, so any advice or help I can get to get me going in the right direction is greatly appreciated.
            The substractive mode is inherited from Unreal Tournament 1 where there was performances issues (lightning mostly I think). But now it's fixed and you can use additive mode without any issues. Still the substractive mode is very cool to make windows and poke holes in your map.
            RASTE IN PEACE !
            Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
            Weapon: Redeemer

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Raste View Post
              They are already prepared ! The lifts, jump pads and teleporters are already coded in the engine so you don't need to redo them. Go into the content browser -> game -> restricted assets -> blueprints. Then simply drag into the view the one you want and fill in the settings in the properties window.
              I had used the 'Generic Lifts' that you just mentioned. Lifts work great, but no sound I don't see anywhere in the properties that it even references any sort of sounds.

              Download the map, put it into the folder where you have all the maps (".\UnrealTournament-master\UnrealTournament\Content\Maps"), paste it in there. Then open the editor and file -> open level. Go to the file and click "ok"
              I got that part, but where is the download link?

              The substractive mode is inherited from Unreal Tournament 1 where there was performances issues (lightning mostly I think). But now it's fixed and you can use additive mode without any issues. Still the substractive mode is very cool to make windows and poke holes in your map.
              I see... Is it ill advised to map using the technique that I have? Several of the DM-Test maps in the WIP folder use the same method I used, so that's why I went that direction.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by abraxxas13 View Post
                I had used the 'Generic Lifts' that you just mentioned. Lifts work great, but no sound I don't see anywhere in the properties that it even references any sort of sounds.

                I got that part, but where is the download link?

                I see... Is it ill advised to map using the technique that I have? Several of the DM-Test maps in the WIP folder use the same method I used, so that's why I went that direction.
                1) The lifts don't have the sound, yet. The TP and jump pads have.
                2) The lightning map is in the latest version of UT on github
                3) Substractive or additive are both perfectly fine, just a choice.
                RASTE IN PEACE !
                Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
                Weapon: Redeemer

                Comment


                  #9
                  Just uploaded a new version of the map. Made the following changes:

                  * Re-worked armor positions. Made them accessible via lift jumps/wall dodge jumps
                  * Redid the post-process volume and lighting is much brighter

                  Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/677lfsugvf...lk1b.umap?dl=0

                  Comment


                    #10
                    The map is freezing/crashing UT4 for me as did the previous version 1a, it just doesn't load.
                    Last edited by Yaiklai; 09-07-2014, 06:42 AM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X