Clear All

DM-Aly R1, UT3 remake

Download: Map, Readme
    Players: 2 - 4
    Version: Release 1
    Released: 23-06-2018
    WinMD5: 64cfa66bcdef11a04686d10274c3b82b

Story / Histoire:

Some time ago, explorers discovered that the inhabitants of this small island are mysteriously missing? The population has vanished leaving no clue, no message, no trace? Nobody has any answer, it is to believe that all the inhabitants have been removed by a unknown superior force, by Aliens perhaps? Welcome to Aly...

Il y a quelque temps, des explorateurs ont découvert que les habitants de cette petite île sont mystérieusement disparus? La population s'est volatilisée ne laissant aucun indice, aucun message, aucune trace? Personne n’a de réponse, c’est à croire que tous les habitants ont été enlevées pas une force supérieure inconnue, par des Aliens peut-être? Bienvenue à Aly...

Details:

A remake of my DM-Aly Second Edition for UT3

Dev:

Final 1.0

- Added another smaller grass mesh with a different material. Repaint the landscape to get a nice foliage color and density variation. The grass is less green overall, more saturated so it look better with the surrounding tint.
    - Added ropes at some spots so players have a visual pointer they can't access those areas.
    - Added tesselation on the rope material (rope are all over the place) so the ropes look less flat.
    - Changed the bv's properties near the Grenade Launcher pickup (lift hole in the floor) so it block everything. Grenade won't get stuck behind the wood planks.
    - Readjust the torches sounds, finally...
    - Replaced the ocean stock material instance by a complete new one which as really nice wave tessellation, foam, depth fade and such.
    - Small tweaks here and there...

R1

I've made what I could to optimize the map. This is what as been done :

- All decals, particles are visible only in 'high' mode.
    - All hidden surfaces is using the stock 'RemoveSurfaceMaterial' to reduce memory usage.
    - Landscape hidden areas have been set invisible.
    - Manually fixed culling values on many, many meshes so they won't be rendered if they aren't visible to the camera.
    - Many meshes as been merged together. Doing this make the map file larger BUT provide much more FPS reducing draw calls. I also made 1 to 4 additional LODs for each meshes (imported and/or merged).
    Last edited by Stevelois; 06-30-2018, 03:36 PM.
    Stevie's corner Maps, DM-Akar A1, DM-Aryth R1, DM-Aly R1, CTF-Infiltrate, DM-Delta Links, All UT4 CTF custom maps, All UT4 remakes, UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

I like your methodology Stevelois! Released: 23-06-2018 yet playable today.
    BigUp monsieur for even more of your works!

Comment

What can I say... The map is mesmerizing. The design is a little confusing in some places, but the execution is brilliant. How much custom content did you use?

Also, several things that got my attention:

1.There are some places (like underneath the 100 armor, between the wooden frame and the wall) with dead space that could brake the flow. Conversely, quite a few open areas around the map are quite misleading since they are open but blocked. I was wondering, though, if it would be a nice addition to have the area next to the 25 armor actually be open to walk. It is a nice little roundabout.
      2.The outside water material feels scaled down in relation to everything else, and honestly feel kinda lifeless in comparison to the whole environment. Maybe if the water was still, a couple of waves here and there... Just suggestions.
      3.Something picky: The grass in the main central area feels too... green? The color sits well with the outside vegetation, but not so much on the center. Everything is kind of worn out, but the grass is somehow so vivid and out of place to me.
      4.I'd tweak the sound source of the torches. Soften and expand the radius, and lower the overall volume.

The mesh work is great, and it looks beautiful. Outstanding job, Stevie.
      Also, I didn't know you are a time traveller.

Comment

Wow, this looks incredible! I love it. You did a GREAT job with the lighting. And the detail work with the wood beams is mesmerizing. I agree with Izangar there were a couple spots that look accessible, but aren't. Maybe if you added a short ledge, you could keep it open but it would signal to the player that it's not meant to be accessed?

Grenades and projectiles go between the wood planks, I think this would prove to be an annoyance to most players. And some of the floors are not that easy to follow. Overall some spots are probably a bit too busy for the "pro" player.

One thing I noticed was the visual difference between Epic and Medium post process settings- mostly because of the Ambient Occlusion filling in shadows. I struggled with the same thing on my map since I develop the map with Epic settings and don't realize that on Medium it looks quite different. I don't have the answer at the moment but it might be worth looking into.

Again this is beautiful! It makes me happy to see people still producing content If the team ever comes back I wouldn't be surprised if they included this in the build. Maybe they could work some optimization magic too since 500MB is killer. I think most people would timeout if they were downloading it in-game.
        DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Confirmed, connections time-out loading the map. So.. Solo it is!
          And it was fun! Killer thru the floor shot possibilities! The map space feels good with the only big notice being between Epic & Low settings like you & tidu said.
          Overall awesome that you reworked it for this UT!
          (I'm also trying to figure out why the map [499.1MB] won't load while there's a bigger map [503.1MB] that does.)
          Last edited by ÐutchSmºke; 06-22-2018, 12:11 PM. Reason: Tested

Comment

Good job. I would keep thos outside areas closed as it would be a dead-end to walk in there anyway. Otherwise no comments for me so far.

Comment

ÐutchSmºke

Well, I thought of releasing all maps this Saturday the 23 but, I decided to release them right away

Izangar

THX for the compliment

I'm using quite a few custom meshes (brushes, flowers, ferns, grass, mushrooms, rocks, trees, etc) and many merged stock assets. There are 67 static meshes, 40 textures and 72 materials!

- There is indeed a little space underneath the 100 armor, between the wooden frame and the wall but players won't get block, beside, it's a little place to hide and frag by behind the other player that is jumping from the platform above. BV's are already there. I'll see what I can do to add a visual pointer of blocked areas. Note that many areas have ropes or wood beam to show players can't go there.

- The ocean material is already at max without looking to repetitive. I'll try to add tesselation to the material.

- I'll see what I can do about the grass.

- About the fire, it was really hard to get the actual result. This is something I spend a considerable time to tweak. I won't change it, sorry.

What do you mean bout time traveller?

tidu

THX for the compliment too

- About grenades and projectiles that goes between the wood planks, do you have a example?

- As you, I create and play my maps with Epic settings. I do everything that can be done for the map to be playable for low / mid range pc's. Therefore, I map for myself first and since I'm a visual type of person, the level must look good to me. There is no difference for me between casual or pro players.

- I'm more than happy players like the look of the map. I'll be more than happy if this map could be a part of the official game but only Epic can make it happen. Indeed, 500MB for a map is freaking huge... but I can't make it smaller neither. I really did the best I could do to reduce the map file size.

Rainmaker_CZ

THX Indeed, the play area won't change. I'll try to add visual pointer of blocked areas.

THX all for your comments so far, I really appreciate !!!
              Stevie's corner Maps, DM-Akar A1, DM-Aryth R1, DM-Aly R1, CTF-Infiltrate, DM-Delta Links, All UT4 CTF custom maps, All UT4 remakes, UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

FYI

As long as I work on the map, I'm feeding the OP with what as been done for the next release. Note that I'll release the next version (R2) only when my to-do-list will be complete.

Comment

Hi steve nice work dude! I got hard for me recognice the map, it looks different thats good thing! thanks for the present!

Comment

Your welcome m8

NOTE: Since there isn't enough feedback coming from the community, the next release will be the final one. I won't loose my time uploading different versions.

THX for your time.

Comment

Working...
                    X