• Show
Clear All

DM-Dakylian Beta 1

Download: Final thread
    Players: 4 - 10
    Version: Beta 1
    Released: 24-05-2019

Story / Histoire:

Following the discovery of Elik peaceful sanctuary in the heart of the Dakylian caves, LMC's extensive research in this region has uncovered another venue for larger-scale tournaments. Unfortunately, the Dakylian caves are no longer a place of eternal rest...

Suite à la découverte du paisible sanctuaire d’Elik, au cœur des grottes du Dakylian, les recherches approfondies de LMC dans cette région ont permis de découvrir un autre lieu propice au tournois de plus grande envergure. Malheureusement, les grottes du Dakylian ne sont plus un lieu de repos éternel...

Beta pics

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Alpha pics

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Details:

Now that DM-Elik, a duel focused map using Epic Soul Cave assets is finish, I'm reusing the assets for this new, larger scale map

Dev:

Final

- Crank up visual quality (Post Processing magic ).
    - Lift near Rocket Launcher is now faster (speed change from 1.0 to 0.8).
    - Rebuild lighting (Production quality level).

Beta 1

- Pickups changes (switch the RL and Lighting Gun and other changes).
    - Lift added near the Lighting Gun so you can go up to the belt platform to add a third way to grab the belt or liftjump to the upper platform which permit access by air from the 5 vials to the 2 medium health.
    - Add a 50 armor in the UDamage sector and add platforms too.
    - Meshing, lighting, music, blocking volumes, post process & temporary preview pic added.

Alpha 2

- Many pickups changes and layout alterations.

Alpha 1

- First release.

Credits:

ÐutchSmºke for his great help & support in the dev process.
    Epic for their free Soul: Cave assets.
    Last edited by Stevelois; 07-03-2019, 10:40 PM.
    Stevie's corner
    Maps, DM-Dakylian, DM-Elik, DM-Akar, DM-Aryth, DM-Aly, CTF-Infiltrate, DM-Delta
    Links, UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Looks cool. I'll download it and give you some feedback, if you're interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Best_Username View Post
      Looks cool. I'll download it and give you some feedback, if you're interested.
      Definitely interested
      Stevie's corner

Comment

I've played and walked through your level for about 25-30 minutes total. I'm gonna start posting ideas and feedback that I have and just update this post every time I have something new to say.

Keep in mind, I'm by no means a "competitive pro player" or anything like that. I'm an intermediate skill level casual player. So I'm no expert by any means; just take my opinions with a grain (or an entire two-liter bottle) of salt.

Click image for larger version  Name:	01.png Views:	1 Size:	705.7 KB ID:	404508
        This room here feels really giant, empty, and kind of uninteresting. It's just a giant box, for the most part. Honestly, I think you could just remove this entire room and not lose much of anything.

Click image for larger version  Name:	02.png Views:	1 Size:	713.4 KB ID:	404509

If you do decide to keep this room (which I don't think I recommend tbh, but that's my opinion), I would at least shrink it down and change the shape of it so that it isn't possible to just cheekily hide in the corner of the room and wait for the UDamage to spawn (like this).

Click image for larger version

Name:	03.png
Views:	1
Size:	706.6 KB
ID:	404510

I really liked this area here. I thought it was very cool and unique. If you could somehow find a way to restructure the flow of the map so that this area is more of a main focal point, I think that would be really cool. Currently, this room is sort of in a corner of the map, but I thought it was the most unique and interesting area in the whole level, so I think it maybe deserves to be moved to a more prominent location.

If you're interested, I'll keep adding more bits of advice here as I think of it.
        Last edited by Best_Username; 01-29-2019, 01:24 AM.

Comment

THX for your feedback

I too, I'm a casual player but when I design a map, I do my best to accommodate all type of players.

Keep in mind that alpha map have rough geometry and sometime it may look dull, boring, ugly and so on, which is the case of all my maps in alpha stage That is why only pickup placement and layout are the main focus on a alpha map. The actual UDamage room won't stay square visually because walls will be replace by rocks and waterfalls, so the look and feel will change drastically I want to add somekind of "grandeur" in this part of the map so the room must be big to get that feel. Think about DM-Underland.

The area you really like was the first "room" I've made and I too, is my favorite area of the map for the moment. It give me an idea for the opposite part of the map which I don't like at the moment (around belt area).

THX for your feedback and you give me some ideas for Alpha 2
          Stevie's corner

Comment

I've notice bots don't use the ramps that are made of the spline mesh. This is affecting gameplay very badly because they don't go for the belt or climb certain ramps. I fix that by adding blocking volumes on those spline meshes so they move much more intelligently I must say gameplay is much better!

Beside, I've made pickups changes and layout improvements.

Next release will be ready this friday
            Stevie's corner

Comment

Alpha 2 now available

See OP for changes.

TY
              Stevie's corner

Comment

B1 is coming along nicely. But very slooooooooooowly.

But, it's not like I'm a hurry anyway... I'm making the map as the same rhythm as the community is giving me his feedback, LOL
                Stevie's corner

Comment

Click image for larger version Name:	02.png Views:	1 Size:	713.4 KB ID:	404509

Reusing Best_Username tooked pic, this is how the Udamage area as evolve now

Click image for larger version

Name:	dmdakylian07.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	405199

Stevie's corner

Comment

Very niiice Stevelois! Looking forward to your progress.
                    LoPing
                    Explosive High Voltage UT99

Comment

Looks Great! Hope to play it soon?

Comment

THX both

I don't know when B1 will be ready since many areas aren't meshed yet. But, it's progressing
                        Stevie's corner

Comment

Originally posted by ÐutchSmºke View Post
                          Very niiice Stevelois! Looking forward to your progress.
                          Hey m8,

Just saw the video about little things that you asked me to look at. Most are already resolved by placed blocking volume, in B1 ofc
                          Stevie's corner

Comment

Soo... wheres that beta stevie?
                            UT3 map:DM-Shrift: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtaXAPRtJWg

Michael -genthly- Gmür
                            Senior Lighting Artist a Techland

Comment

Originally posted by genthly View Post
                              Soo... wheres that beta stevie?
                              Well, the actual version is A2.

Beta 1, hummmmmmm... dunno yet. I'm working on the map every day, so you should play it in few weeks.
                              Stevie's corner

Comment

Working...
                              X