DM-NickTest1 Feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-NickTest1 Feedback

So, there isn't a thread for this that I can find, and Epic are asking for feedback on it. The latest commits now have a basic texture pass and the position of the Shock and Stinger have been swapped.

A couple of issues I can find so far:

You can still get out of the map by rocket jumping from the belt platform. http://puu.sh/brBIw/28339f9f96.jpg
    There's a missing texture on the ceiling here in the alcove next to the Stinger: http://puu.sh/brBFy/6f0e6f4453.jpg
    and this one needs colour: http://puu.sh/brCzT/7f77782063.jpg
    This platform feels inconsistent to get on 100% of the time since the changes to dodge boost, although maybe it's just because I'm not used to them http://puu.sh/brCRA/f14212bcfb.jpg

Overall quite a fun little duel map, will be playing a bit more to get some more thoughts.
    Last edited by fuolox; 09-09-2014, 05:23 AM.
    http://twitch.tv/MysTikalUT - Tune in for duels, TDM and random testing

Right now this and deck are the only duel maps that are getting played really as they're suited for it. The boots are really powerful on this map. You have to control these to have any sort of chance of winning a game. The problem arises when combining the boots with the RL, it's impossible to see your opponent because the skybox is so bright!

However, it's hard for me to comment right now as we can only play with weaponstay on. Traditional duel rules turns weapon stay off, which i fear may actually break this map in regards to dueling, it's hard enough out of control without having to wait 30s for a gun
    http://www.twitch.tv/chumbo_

Comment

Hey guys,

I've been pulled away on another proejct for a few weeks, but i'm back! I updated the map with some serious changes for the first time since i finished shelling it out.

I did some work on the old shock/ stinger area. I felt it could use a little more room to breath. There are a hand full of other polishy/ experimental things all around.

Also nuked the boots. They're crazy powerful in there... and i'm not sure that's a good thing =)

Let me know what you think!

Right now, i'm not too concerned with texturing bugs, but would really love to hear your thoughts on weapon balance and map control.

We seriously don't have an option to turn weapon stay off?

I'll hassle someone to figure that out soon!

-nick
      Designer

aka. neoduck

Comment

Hey Nick Thanks for the response.

I've been playing around a bit with the past few days with chumb0 and I feel that the lift jump is quite hard to hit 100% of the time - maybe the lift speed could be slightly increased, or the positioning changed slightly to accommodate for this? Another thing is that the spawns are very prone to being camped due to the massive lines of sight across the map, especially from the middle bridge - you have an instant line of sight to the two main spawns (stinger and rockets). Maybe the map would benefit from another room or being expanded slightly with some more LOS blocks to key spawn areas. Could also allow for a sniper rifle on the map without being too powerful.

EDIT: Just tried the version on the latest git commit and it's feeling much better, lift feels way more consistent, a lot more options in terms of hiding and line of sight blocks. Can't wait to try on the next official build!
        Last edited by fuolox; 09-15-2014, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Some more duel feedback:

Once you've lost control of the belt it's very hard to come back against a good player, especially since it's so easy to spawncamp the people spawning at shock/armour. Maybe separate the shock and armour so that it's not as much of a key point to control, and/or move the player spawn up into the corner alcove with the kits so that you have a chance to run away to the linkgun instead of facing instant doom via people coming from belt. I'm also thinking the armour is too close to the belt, as it's very easy to control both once you're stacked with belt making it really hard to regain map control by going for armour when the enemy is going for belt, like you can in Deck/Lea.

In addition the weapons and ammo feel balanced more for weaponstay on rather than weaponstay off, we found ourselves running out of ammo a lot.

Also these vials can't be picked up: http://puu.sh/bIqV3/6d741198e9.png
          Last edited by fuolox; 09-21-2014, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Hi, I posted this in the wrong area so I`ll just paste it here

Map is totally unbalanced, even worse now than when it had jump boots

Shock + Armor beside each other is terrible map design, on top of that you have a big platform shielding you from damage

All you have to do is time shock and there's nothing the other player can do unless he gets lucky with random spam or whatever

The weapons on the other side of the map are useless in long range, flak rockets etc

Replace shock with sniper, and put shock on the other side of the map. Remove the platform. It would be more balanced then and might actually be fun to play

Comment

Originally posted by MysTikal View Post
              Some more duel feedback:

Once you've lost control of the belt it's very hard to come back against a good player, especially since it's so easy to spawncamp the people spawning at shock/armour. Maybe separate the shock and armour so that it's not as much of a key point to control, and/or move the player spawn up into the corner alcove with the kits so that you have a chance to run away to the linkgun instead of facing instant doom via people coming from belt. I'm also thinking the armour is too close to the belt, as it's very easy to control both once you're stacked with belt making it really hard to regain map control by going for armour when the enemy is going for belt, like you can in Deck/Lea.

In addition the weapons and ammo feel balanced more for weaponstay on rather than weaponstay off, we found ourselves running out of ammo a lot.

Also these vials can't be picked up: http://puu.sh/bIqV3/6d741198e9.png
              Pretty much this, it's very stressful playing this map out of control with weaponstay off.

Comment

Originally posted by nuxx View Post
                Hi, I posted this in the wrong area so I`ll just paste it here

Map is totally unbalanced, even worse now than when it had jump boots

Shock + Armor beside each other is terrible map design, on top of that you have a big platform shielding you from damage

All you have to do is time shock and there's nothing the other player can do unless he gets lucky with random spam or whatever

The weapons on the other side of the map are useless in long range, flak rockets etc

Replace shock with sniper, and put shock on the other side of the map. Remove the platform. It would be more balanced then and might actually be fun to play
                Totally spot on here +1.

Comment

Can we have weapons stay on please, noobs like me are screwed on this map without it ta
                  Why look back? You already know what happens!

Comment

Can see by your recent change title you're not sure about the changes put in the past few days Nick. I've just tested them out real quick in the editor and I think they're alright. Unable to test them right now with other players, but roll with it, at least for the next week

Great having a hitscan weapon on the weaker side of the map now (sniper) and the shock in the middle. Only thing that maybe concerning is that armour can be such a pain in the **** sometimes, it's alot better now you dont need to slopedodge up there though, that was very risky..

Comment

Nick;

Was the increase in height here intentional (no longer able to wall dodge up onto the vials?)

A fair few people used this to get more health and to quickly change direction, was rather nice to have..

Comment

Hey guys,

Finally got some good duel playtests in today with Sid and Mysterial.

Let me run over some of the changes:

1. new sniper area.

After my last round of changes, it felt like the new chest shield area was imbalancing the map. The old rocket area was feeling like a bit of a death trap, so i bolstered it up a bit and turned it into the sniper area.

The other advantage this has is that there's now a little more breathing room that it needed. There is more room to spawn in and pick up some weapons without being run down instantly.

2. Weapon Placement

I heard your feedback and took a big pass at balancing it out some. The map is no longer one side hitscan/ one side projectile. I'm sure there's still some work to do, so let me know how it feels and we can talk specifics!

Raxxy,

The sloped wall(last version- also the ramp thing in the early version) around there was feeling pretty awkward, and i felt like the new area opened up some other options for getting up there, so i just went with it. If you're still missing it in a while we can talk about it again at another time. For now i'm trying to focus on the big picture

Chumbo,

Only thing that maybe concerning is that armour can be such a pain in the **** sometimes
                        Do you mean the armour itself is a pain, or the way it's used in this level?

Nuxx,

I'm listening to everything you say, but a gentle touch goes a long way. Easy up
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Nick Donaldson; 09-24-2014, 06:43 PM.
                        Designer

aka. neoduck

Comment

Yo Nick,

Yeah I was referring to the armour on this map, the reason I felt this was a pain is that the slope dodge up to it was really, really risky. So for a player who's out of control and doesn't have any armour on the map, it's really hard for them to grab that item unless they dodge over from the health bubbles. However I can see that you've now added this as a slope. I was originally really happy with that change, but had a chat with Zaccubus on IRC about it and he mentioned that it's good to make sure that the jump is hard, it forces newer players to learn the movement mechanic and puts it into good use. I agreed.

Tonight we've actually play tested your latest version with great results. I was originally trying to boostdodge to the vials after you'd removed the slopedodge and quickly realised it wasn't possible. Noticed you could dodge from the sniper platform though.

I felt the sniper was a great addition to the map too. The weapon placement now is alot better and it no longer feels like the map is split into a "rocket side" and a "shock side". Sniper felt pretty strong.

If you're interested in the footage as we played, let me know and I'll pop it up.

I feel this is the best variation of the map we've had so far, good job.

Comment

Originally posted by chumb0 View Post
                            If you're interested in the footage as we played, let me know and I'll pop it up.

I feel this is the best variation of the map we've had so far, good job.
                            Would love to see that!

Thanks man!
                            Designer

aka. neoduck

Comment

Originally posted by raxxy View Post
                              Was the increase in height here intentional (no longer able to wall dodge up onto the vials?)

A fair few people used this to get more health and to quickly change direction, was rather nice to have..
                              Totally agree. I like how things have opened up in that area. I hope it makes it easier for newly spawning players. However, I do kinda miss the trick jump up to the vials. The slope dodge wall dodge trick just felt weird to me, but I loved trying when you just had to boost dodge. Yeah it had problems, and it was really hard to do. I still tried to do it every time.

What made this map fun for me was the trick jumps, and I feel like we lost a few along the way here.
                              BeyondUnreal Podcast
                              r/UnrealTournament Moderator

Comment

Working...
                              X