Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UT4 1 on 1 The Balist (WIP)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    UT4 1 on 1 The Balist (WIP)

    This is a level layout designed for 1 vs 1 arena combat. I have decided to move this level from the WIP forum to here as it is quite far along at this point. Though I fully expect to make big changes to the level in the future.

    Visit this thread to see the latest updates and videos.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Castle; 09-28-2014, 08:16 PM.
    - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjE...JOGtfv1RK2DpNg
    Steemit: https://steemit.com/@thecastle
    Twitter: @zZCastleZz

    #2
    can't see anything...
    edit : it's working now
    Last edited by heartlessphil; 09-09-2014, 04:58 PM.
    Rawr1234 on Unreal Tournament play-test servers and IRC!

    Comment


      #3
      Ill be adding more to this post shortly including a download once I get spawn points in place.
      - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
      YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjE...JOGtfv1RK2DpNg
      Steemit: https://steemit.com/@thecastle
      Twitter: @zZCastleZz

      Comment


        #4
        Ok so far I have the first pass on the layout. Spawns, pickups, lighting in place and ready for play testing. I also have two new episodes of my YouTube channel to show me creating it all.

        Next will be static meshes and further tweaking based on feedback. I'll have a way to download the map tomorrow.

        Click image for larger version

Name:	ORSR0sP.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	353378

        Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr49OS3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	353379

        Click image for larger version

Name:	TnAve3t.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	334.6 KB
ID:	353380

        Click image for larger version

Name:	9afkMGm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	321.9 KB
ID:	353381
        - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
        YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjE...JOGtfv1RK2DpNg
        Steemit: https://steemit.com/@thecastle
        Twitter: @zZCastleZz

        Comment


          #5
          Looks great!
          Would it be possible to upload a cooked and unmeshed version of the map?
          Id like to test it but im not a subscriber.

          Good luck!
          Nonemms Music Thread DM-Lea(Youtube Soundcloud )
          Fabian Joosten - composer for media

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Nonemm View Post
            Looks great!
            Would it be possible to upload a cooked and unmeshed version of the map?
            Id like to test it but im not a subscriber.

            Good luck!
            Ill make sure I get it uploaded tonight if possible.
            - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
            YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjE...JOGtfv1RK2DpNg
            Steemit: https://steemit.com/@thecastle
            Twitter: @zZCastleZz

            Comment


              #7
              Added a download link to the OP.

              Download The map HERE!

              The level should be fully playable right now. All Feedback welcome!
              - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
              YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjE...JOGtfv1RK2DpNg
              Steemit: https://steemit.com/@thecastle
              Twitter: @zZCastleZz

              Comment


                #8
                Hey,
                I had some time to play through. I think there are some small issues that should get fixed.
                • If you dodge onto the jumppad near the keg, you hit the ceiling and wont be launched to the opposite platform, raise the ceiling a bit and then it should work.
                • I like the belt room, especially for 1v1 getting belt seems very intense. What i would recommend is a ramp from rocket to the link plateau, that would help the overall flow of the map. I would also mention that the link gun and the rocket so close together isnt the best option. I would rather replace the biogun with the link.
                • Maybe you can add something to get to the helmet without beeing on level 2 of the map. a small box so you can walldodge up to the helmet would fix the problem. Actually, there are 2 helmets in the map, why dont you replace the helmet on the box with thigh pads, that way you have all armor parts in the map.
                • I also think the corridor to belt is a bit too long, considering the size of the map, the corridor feels very very long imo.
                • In general I would welcome a bit more lighting since the map is quite dark.


                Thats what I think about it now. I think the map has some great potential im sure you will have great ideas for the problems that I faced.


                Best regards !
                Nonemms Music Thread DM-Lea(Youtube Soundcloud )
                Fabian Joosten - composer for media

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Nonemm View Post
                  Hey,
                  I had some time to play through. I think there are some small issues that should get fixed.
                  • If you dodge onto the jumppad near the keg, you hit the ceiling and wont be launched to the opposite platform, raise the ceiling a bit and then it should work.
                  • I like the belt room, especially for 1v1 getting belt seems very intense. What i would recommend is a ramp from rocket to the link plateau, that would help the overall flow of the map. I would also mention that the link gun and the rocket so close together isnt the best option. I would rather replace the biogun with the link.
                  • Maybe you can add something to get to the helmet without beeing on level 2 of the map. a small box so you can walldodge up to the helmet would fix the problem. Actually, there are 2 helmets in the map, why dont you replace the helmet on the box with thigh pads, that way you have all armor parts in the map.
                  • I also think the corridor to belt is a bit too long, considering the size of the map, the corridor feels very very long imo.
                  • In general I would welcome a bit more lighting since the map is quite dark.


                  Thats what I think about it now. I think the map has some great potential im sure you will have great ideas for the problems that I faced.


                  Best regards !
                  Awesome! Ill do what I can to address this feedback tonight or over the weekend. Thank you so much for this feedback!
                  - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
                  YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjE...JOGtfv1RK2DpNg
                  Steemit: https://steemit.com/@thecastle
                  Twitter: @zZCastleZz

                  Comment


                    #10
                    It'd be nice to test this out. I'll play some duels on the map, record it, and give you some video feedback.
                    http://www.twitch.tv/chumbo_

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by chumb0 View Post
                      It'd be nice to test this out. I'll play some duels on the map, record it, and give you some video feedback.
                      Awesome!

                      I have to also get my other UT4 map up and running in the latest version as it is also a 1v1 level too. it might get hectic work on more than one map at a time.
                      - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
                      YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjE...JOGtfv1RK2DpNg
                      Steemit: https://steemit.com/@thecastle
                      Twitter: @zZCastleZz

                      Comment


                        #12
                        • If you dodge onto the jumppad near the keg, you hit the ceiling and wont be launched to the opposite platform, raise the ceiling a bit and then it should work.

                          Moved the platform out a bit and recessed the wall to further prevent head bumping. Also I want to make the jump pad more visible from other angles.


                        • I like the belt room, especially for 1v1 getting belt seems very intense. What i would recommend is a ramp from rocket to the link plateau, that would help the overall flow of the map. I would also mention that the link gun and the rocket so close together isnt the best option. I would rather replace the biogun with the link.

                          I turned this section into a ramp. I replaced the link with bio rifle.


                          I placed the link gun on the first floor and moved the stinger to the top floor.


                        • Maybe you can add something to get to the helmet without beeing on level 2 of the map. a small box so you can walldodge up to the helmet would fix the problem. Actually, there are 2 helmets in the map, why dont you replace the helmet on the box with thigh pads, that way you have all armor parts in the map.

                          I like the idea of adding some kind of lowish skill trick jump. I may play with the idea of making this jump much tougher.
                          Thigh pads now replaced the helmet sitting on the box.


                        • I also think the corridor to belt is a bit too long, considering the size of the map, the corridor feels very very long imo.

                          Agreed, the interesting part about this connection is to shorten it while not providing any strange sight lines. I am going to try adding a more direct line of passage through the bottom while retaining the cover you get from the hallway and the platform above. I adjusted some of the health pickup positions and one of the player starts.



                          I increased the thickness of the platform here to allow for a trick jump from Thigh pad box to jump pad.


                        • In general I would welcome a bit more lighting since the map is quite dark.

                          I am going to have to address this with a little more than just more lighting. I need better materials and more brush geometry work.

                          I found that there are a good number of static meshes already in the build.


                          Stay tuned for more updates on improved lighting and visuals for the level.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Castle; 09-13-2014, 04:35 AM.
                        - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
                        YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjE...JOGtfv1RK2DpNg
                        Steemit: https://steemit.com/@thecastle
                        Twitter: @zZCastleZz

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Looks very promising! The belt area is much much(much) better now!
                          Im still not sure if its a good idea to place rocket AND another weapon so close together even if its just a bio. Id rather leave out bio completley. If you want a gun you will always go for RL anyways.

                          The other changes look good, you can make the jump to the thigh pads harder i dont see a problem why not:P.
                          If we put the map into the duel mappool it would be great if you could make the meshed version seperate from the unmenshed version, people wont have to download a huge mapfile before playing, considering that there will be newer versions more than once :P. Also, in terms of naming of the map, it would help if you could add a version tag in the name "Balist_V1 , Balist_V2 etc....".

                          Looks really good, I'd love to play it - sadly servers arent working correctly witht he new build , but we will see .

                          Best regards
                          Nonemms Music Thread DM-Lea(Youtube Soundcloud )
                          Fabian Joosten - composer for media

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Nonemm View Post
                            Looks very promising! The belt area is much much(much) better now!
                            Im still not sure if its a good idea to place rocket AND another weapon so close together even if its just a bio. Id rather leave out bio completley. If you want a gun you will always go for RL anyways.

                            The other changes look good, you can make the jump to the thigh pads harder i dont see a problem why not:P.
                            If we put the map into the duel mappool it would be great if you could make the meshed version seperate from the unmenshed version, people wont have to download a huge mapfile before playing, considering that there will be newer versions more than once :P. Also, in terms of naming of the map, it would help if you could add a version tag in the name "Balist_V1 , Balist_V2 etc....".

                            Looks really good, I'd love to play it - sadly servers arent working correctly witht he new build , but we will see .

                            Best regards
                            The static meshes I want to add will not use new textures so they shouldn't really add much to the overall size of the map. My goal is to keep things simple for as long as possible.

                            I just uploaded the latest version of the level which has had lighting and visuals improved.

                            As far as the naming convention I am currently following the method I learned while working on my Team Fortress 2 CTF level. "Balist_a1, Balist_a2" <-- This means Alpha version 1, and Alpha version 2.

                            Check the OP for the new visual look of the level.

                            edit: I will be thinking about the bio rifle being so close to the rocket launcher. I think I need to play and see others play the map for a bit.
                            Last edited by Castle; 09-13-2014, 03:35 PM.
                            - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
                            YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjE...JOGtfv1RK2DpNg
                            Steemit: https://steemit.com/@thecastle
                            Twitter: @zZCastleZz

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Looking cool man! Gonna check this one out in editor tomorrow.

                              Also, I'm SotaPoika from MapCore.
                              * Portfolio: http://sp0n3.carbonmade.com/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X