X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Arena (1v1) WIP

DM-ArenaTest(Temporary name)

Hello again!
    My last two maps were both planned out to an extent prior to the shell being made. Yesterday I started a new map and this time I thought I'd just see where the editor took me without planning.

The map is small and seems like it should fit 1v1 nicely. 2v2 will probably be possible as well, but any more than that will feel cramped. There are a few unfinished areas such as the very top walkway (up the lift by the bio) but the general gist of it is blocked out. It is a map with a lot of verticality and (hopefully) a good mix between open and closed areas.

There is one of each armor and weapon (except redeemer) and also the jump boots and U damage.

So without further ado, here are some screenies, a short video (with super dramatic music) and a download link for subscribers.

DOWNLOAD:https://www.dropbox.com/s/214u6art2h...test.umap?dl=0

Feel free to leave your thoughts on it and any way you can think of to improve what I have so far.
    Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

for a test make a Pak for UE 4.7 please

Comment

I feel like this one is either going to be very good, or very bad, with not much middle ground.
      Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Dr.ToxicVenom: "How bout we duel, and let our skill decide who's right and who's wrong? I'm in Unreal Carnage [Dallas] Right now. Come join."
      MonsOlympus: "How about you work your way up the ranks first then we'll talk LAN, until then. Have fun trying to find people to play against you and your crappy attitude, good night!"
      Dr.ToxicVenom: "DAAAAAAMN! That dodge was almost as good as my multi-dodge. Nice!"

Comment

Yeah I don't think this one is particularly good tbh. I haven't had a subscription for around 4-5 months but I will get it back soon perhaps. I may take a few small areas from this map and make an entirely new one with a different design. Thanks for the interest though, even if it is about 5 months late :')

Comment

Originally posted by SopranoObject View Post
          Yeah I don't think this one is particularly good tbh. I haven't had a subscription for around 4-5 months but I will get it back soon perhaps. I may take a few small areas from this map and make an entirely new one with a different design. Thanks for the interest though, even if it is about 5 months late :')
          That's probably a good idea. Here's some of my feedback on this, maybe for future endeavors?

1. I like that you put belt across from sniper, but still in line of sight of sniper, that makes it somewhat risky to go for belt, when you can easily lose 70-140 hp going for belt, and risk vs reward is a good thing when it comes to power ups.

2. I think boots being so close to belt is a horrible idea, because that is going to encourage one player to dominate the top of the map with hitscan, recommend putting boots much further away from belt, possibly even in the basement. Pretty much the only items you can have not to far from each other and not have to worry about it causing an issue, would be helmet/thigh pad.

If this map is for 1v1, most likely amp will be disabled when the rules for duel are actually hammered out, as both 2k3/2k4, & UT3 players use UTComp, which disables amp,zerk,invis,invuln, in 1on1, and with the new armor values of UT4, (or should I say UT99 values) I expect belt may even be removed from 1on1. (Like it was in UT99 for WCG 2001.)
          My recommendation on this issue would be to focus your armor placement around 100 being the main armor, and 50 being the alternate armor, on the other side of the map. Perhaps if you decide to add a gigantic slime pit or a pressure chamber, then you should throw your belt/amp in there, but I wouldn't recommend it in a 1v1 map of this scale, as it may come off cliche, or gimmicky.

I definitely see some potential with your basic map geometry if a few things were to be changed, I could see it being a very good 1on1 map.

5. I would avoid using lifts that go very far, and also I would not recommend using lifts that move slow, as 1v1 at high levels is all about speed. (And control but we covered that already.)

Anywho, that's my 2¢ take it or leave it.
          Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Dr.ToxicVenom: "How bout we duel, and let our skill decide who's right and who's wrong? I'm in Unreal Carnage [Dallas] Right now. Come join."
          MonsOlympus: "How about you work your way up the ranks first then we'll talk LAN, until then. Have fun trying to find people to play against you and your crappy attitude, good night!"
          Dr.ToxicVenom: "DAAAAAAMN! That dodge was almost as good as my multi-dodge. Nice!"

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.ToxicVenom View Post
            That's probably a good idea. Here's some of my feedback on this, maybe for future endeavors?

1. I like that you put belt across from sniper, but still in line of sight of sniper, that makes it somewhat risky to go for belt, when you can easily lose 70-140 hp going for belt, and risk vs reward is a good thing when it comes to power ups.

2. I think boots being so close to belt is a horrible idea, because that is going to encourage one player to dominate the top of the map with hitscan, recommend putting boots much further away from belt, possibly even in the basement. Pretty much the only items you can have not to far from each other and not have to worry about it causing an issue, would be helmet/thigh pad.

If this map is for 1v1, most likely amp will be disabled when the rules for duel are actually hammered out, as both 2k3/2k4, & UT3 players use UTComp, which disables amp,zerk,invis,invuln, in 1on1, and with the new armor values of UT4, (or should I say UT99 values) I expect belt may even be removed from 1on1. (Like it was in UT99 for WCG 2001.)
            My recommendation on this issue would be to focus your armor placement around 100 being the main armor, and 50 being the alternate armor, on the other side of the map. Perhaps if you decide to add a gigantic slime pit or a pressure chamber, then you should throw your belt/amp in there, but I wouldn't recommend it in a 1v1 map of this scale, as it may come off cliche, or gimmicky.

I definitely see some potential with your basic map geometry if a few things were to be changed, I could see it being a very good 1on1 map.

5. I would avoid using lifts that go very far, and also I would not recommend using lifts that move slow, as 1v1 at high levels is all about speed. (And control but we covered that already.)

Anywho, that's my 2¢ take it or leave it.
            Thanks a lot for the detailed response. With the news of the editor becoming free, I will likely get it back as soon as I have caught up with college work. :'p
            I will most likely recreate certain areas and extend the map to be for more than just 1v1 although I'm not entirely sure just yet. I will probably remove the jump boots as well and remodel the entire middle area. I will post any new versions in this thread in the future but don't expect anything for a month or two.

Comment

Working...
            X