Clear All

DM-Thaq (Release 1)

Players: 4 - 8
    Version: R1 (Release 1)
    Released: 09-10-2020
    Download: GoogleDrive, UTCC
    Checksum: a8e21520a5e37409d612bcc4bf59d7f1

Story / Histoire

In a distant, arid and desolate place similar to Mars, is the remote station known as Thaq, a station which was abandoned by its occupants whose existence Axon Research Corporation discovered quite by accident during an exploration of this region. This place was deemed to be an excellent training venue. Condition your reflexes to be sharp, precise and fast, otherwise…

Dans un endroit lointain, aride et désolé semblable à Mars, se situe le poste éloigné dénommé Thaq, un poste qui a été abandonné par ses occupants don’t Axon Research Corporation a découvert l’existence tout-à-fait par hasard lors d’une exploration de cette région. Cet endroit a été jugé comme étant un excellent lieu d’entrainement. Conditionne tes réflexes à être vif, précis et rapide, sinon…

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Installation

Put the files into ‘…UnrealTournamentUnrealTournamentContent’ directory. If this folder is not currently on your system, you can safely create it.

Details

I’m using completely new assets from the Mothership service rooms assets pack. I bought this pack so I could create a map that, in the contrary of few regular sci-fi packs I use for my previous maps, assets aren’t super shiny but rather dirty and worn. So, it will be my first UT4 map that has a sci-fi / industrial / dirty look

Therefore, the pack misses deco meshes, like pipes, barrels, wires, etc. I’ve found some nice free LP pipes meshes on CGTrader I could use in this level. Like the barrel that I added founded in one of the marketplace free HQ sci-fi pack, I had to tweak the material so it look dirty and worn.

Outside the map, for the scenery, I add planets with subtle light shaft at the horizon. The planets comes from the StarSphere pack, which include all what it take to craft a awesome space environment. I also use ground / mountains assets from the Polar Sci-fi-Facility pack to complete the scenery.

I also add many custom VFX, like slow dust particles, fast dust particles, electric sparks, smoke, steam, water leak and various rotating fans all around the level.

Furthermore, Thaq use a custom music track called Anesthetic coming from FOnline OST album by Xcentric Noizz which fit’s very well for UT

For me, the map is finish but I post it here in case someone found an issue, a bug and wish to share his thoughts before I make it final in few weeks. Have fun!
    Stevie's corner
    Maps : DM-Thaq, DM-Coda, DM-Chroma FPS, DM-Chroma, DM-Dakylian, DM-Elik, DM-Akar, DM-Aryth, DM-Aly, CTF-Infiltrate, DM-Delta
    Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Hey Steve, visuals look superb!

Just downloading now will be back to comment on layout etc.

Thank you for all your time, effort and love you poured into this baby.

Comment

Hey Steve had a few rounds on your new baby, Lots to like

Here are my list of alterations

don't even know if this is possible...

Here are some things I had to add because they are so good!!

Again thanks for all your hard work.

Comment

Hey buddy

Now, that's good feedback

Originally posted by Achernar View Post
        Hey Steve had a few rounds on your new baby, Lots to like

Here are my list of alterations

There is already a BV there. If I make it wider, closer to the door frame, it won't be possible to jump in the hole from above. The hole between the pipes and the vent. But I'll see if I can add another one that is including the lamp.

Don't know how to make it more obvious honestly. There are already arrow decals on walls and/or floor that indicate there is a lift. Any idea?

It won't feel natural to block that little spot with a BV. I like this kind of sneaky spot.

don't even know if this is possible...

Realistically, we should be able to shoot through the grid using almost all weapons but in the other hand it would affect gameplay dramatically and not necessarily in a good way. That is why, all surfaces (frame and grid) are blocking all projectiles.

Here are some things I had to add because they are so good!!

Again thanks for all your hard work.
        Glad you like what the map is offering It's nice to finally obtain some good feedback
        Stevie's corner
        Maps : DM-Thaq, DM-Coda, DM-Chroma FPS, DM-Chroma, DM-Dakylian, DM-Elik, DM-Akar, DM-Aryth, DM-Aly, CTF-Infiltrate, DM-Delta

Comment

Hi Steve, glad we can agree on the BV on the lamp.

The issues on the lifts, perhaps a Hi-Vis safety decal triangles? This is needed in my opinion especially where your exit is to the side or behind to help smooth out the new players experience.

<quote> It won't feel natural to block that little spot with a BV. I like this kind of sneaky spot.<quote>

It may not feel natural but playing a competitive match such a trip hazard is very annoying. Never the less your the author so what you say goes! = )

Fair enough about the projectiles.

Thanks again for all your efforts it saddens me there is so few people here.

Nevertheless it great to have such new high quality maps to ENJOY

Comment

It's always a pleasure to share my maps for those who appreciate my hard work, specially you, my old friend

I've made some changes for the final. This is the list of changes so far :

Visually :
            • Add decals arrow in both side of the lift tight corridor, the one that is near the Shock pickup that lead you to the Bio pickup.
            • Add decals warning stripes in few spots to distinguish some lifts better.
            • Made another spark particle and also a steam particle.
            • Made some small meshing here and there so in some place so it look better.
            • Refine the scenery outside the map by adding clouds in the sky and fog-like for the ground. Move the planets a bit.
            • Perform few full lighting build (production quality) to adjust some lighting changes which benefit specially the lifts.

Gameplay :
            • Add a blocking volume surrounding the lamp close to the pipes in the Link room. You can still fall down from the platform above between the pipes and the vent.
            • Convert all BSP into a big static meshes which represent the frame of the map. This is completely invisible for the player. I wanted to get rid of BSP.
            • Fix an odd issue about some of the lifts receiving a red lit / shadow from the directional light even if the lifts are inside the frame and aren't supposed to receive those.
            So this represent few hours more of work but I'm truly satisfied of this map and the final will be release october 30
            Stevie's corner

Comment

It's always a joie to come back to see you still cranking out these GPU killah works Steve.
              Loaded & Locked and left you a preview.
              Last edited by ÐutchSmºke; 10-18-2020, 03:31 PM. Reason: Loaded
              LoPing
              Explosive High Voltage UT99

Comment

Originally posted by ÐutchSmºke View Post
                It's always a joie to come back to see you still cranking out these GPU killah works Steve.
                Loaded & Locked and left you a preview.
                Cood bud

BTW, I look at the replay and I didn't saw you use the lifts at all? There are many awesome moves and 'air killing' you can do with the lifts in the sniper / grenade launcher area. There are various ways for doing 'surprise attacks' and I didn't saw none of them in the replay

You can also jump forward from the sniper to the platform in front where is the flak ammo

THX for your feedback m8
                Stevie's corner

Comment

Correct mon ami! As the second replay should show abit more movement around the map.
                  Even I admit I'm not getting any younger but with maps like this.. who cares!
                  LoPing

Comment

Ah ah!!!

Well, looking at the last 2 replays, it look like you're capable of doing more moves m8 And you make laugh when I've read 'tres bon' !!!

Look like the player Megabot like to blow you to pieces in all matches LOL
                    Stevie's corner

Comment

Megabot is a doezy indeed! All part of the pratique jusqu'à la perfection trip we call UT!
                      Merci encore for sharing your (hard)works with us mon! More replays to follow, hopefully with some more real folks.
                      LoPing

Comment

Well, a pleasing surprise to finally see ya made a liftjump from the lift near the belt, and shooting some rockets in the face on the players climbing the ramp to finally nicely land on the platform I do that often after collecting the belt, taking the liftjump shortcut to blow in pieces the players who are rushely climbing the ramp to grab the UDamage. The lift between the belt and the sniper is practical in many situations
                        Stevie's corner

Comment

Don't be enlightening players to much there Steve!
                          Le UT way dictates la perfection through countless hours of (patience)practice, just like your mapping skills.
                          LoPing

Comment

Hey bud,

It's cool to see you're at ease with the layout now because you make plenty of new gameplay tricks and it's super to watch I enjoyed very much the last video!
                            Stevie's corner

Comment

Glad you enjoy the replays mon!
                              LoPing

Comment

Working...
                              X