Chaos Mod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thatscrawnyki View Post
    Its good to see such a positive response towards chaos. We will be working hard to make this the best mod we can. While over the top is the M.O. for Chaos you would be surprised how much discussion we've had on balancing and design in the past month or so. The design is in good hands and I assure you a good time will be had by all when this mod is unleashed.

But for now have a bloody ******* sword:

Great news about the balancing and great job with the chaos ******* sword.

I'd like to bring up my other concern about ChaosUT.

I think Chaos has always been a wee bit too complicated for it's own good if we're talking about controls. In the original ChaosUT for 99 it was slightly less overwhelming but still fairly complicated if you used everything. You guys have always had incredibly inventive multi-fire modes and different ammo but I think the sheer number of them (or rather the way you access it) hurts the mod more than helps. In the UT99 version it was all about scrolling weapon sharing slots, but in Chaos evo there was not only different types of ammo to swap from but also different special firing modes and the grav belt. This is... alot to keep track of in terms of controls with grapple, belt on/off, relic toss, kick, ammo switch, and advanced fire.

It would be good if the Chaos team could consolidate some of it, like if you have multiple types of ammo the advanced trigger button switches between that. If the gun doesnt have any extra ammo swap types, advanced button does something special like the guided rockets. Or if the gun has more than one ammo type, try the cycle toggle that the UT3-UT4 Rocket Launcher uses instead of a mouse scroll or a separate key.

Be aware that this time around in UT4 we have 3 extra buttons that get regularly used. [Roll][Slide][STD] so the space to have 6 buttons extra is pretty limited!

Comment

Originally posted by FirebornForm View Post
      I think Chaos has always been a wee bit too complicated for it's own good if we're talking about controls.
      Your in good hands sir, we've had much discussion about controls and we are going for an absolute bare minimum on the hotkeys. The basic idea behind our development right now is organized chaos. We want the mod to be accessible and fun for all while still maintaining the madness lol.
      Mike :aka: thatscrawnykid
      Artist for Chaos: UT

Comment

Fantastic. S'all I ask for but I would play Chaos either way.

Comment

Same as any weapon, the Vortex is only over powered when used in the wrong maps.
          It is as ever down to the mappers and server admins to chose appropriate weapons for the game.
          This is why Onslaught weapons are not in DM games by default, but can be if you want.

Use Chaos with Onslaught, Assault, or modern large DM maps, and it is so not over powered.
          Here is Wormbos Nephthys tank using a tweaked version for ammo.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqkglfFhBl8
          The Air-strike and ion-cannons of the standard games cause more damage over a bigger area.

I like the old Chaos dueling style, of 1 enforcer and a sword, so I play the maps made that way.
          No big-badda-booms there.

I do "sandbox" with Chaos setups and use everything all together, but you need a very varied map to use all your toys.
          Chaos covers a few different types of play, but always remember that if Chaos does not make you panic, or scare you while you play, It has failed in 1 of its objectives

In comparison to the big nukes in Nali Weapons 3, the biggest explosion of a deemer or Chaos weapon looks like a fart in a cup.
          Used in appropriate large maps, they provide some spectacular long distance pyro.
          Once we have more of an idea of the scale of maps people will be building, for different game types we can then compartmentalise the big stuff for the big maps etc.
          Last edited by Dr.Flay; 11-25-2014, 07:42 PM.
          Who wants a UT99 FOOD FIGHT ?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	icon_proxy.gif
Views:	3
Size:	1.0 KB
ID:	333611 If you have not seen Metalfists new post, then check the latest addition to the Unreal Papercraft line Click image for larger version

ID:	333611

Name:	ChaosPaper01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	333610Click image for larger version

ID:	333611Click image for larger version

Name:	ChaosPaper02.jpg
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	333612
            https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...l=1#post126138
            Who wants a UT99 FOOD FIGHT ?

Comment

cyberhawk gives http://chaoticdreams.org/ a new look, while warhead is working on a new 4.6 build

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply!

Just FYI, it was already possible in CUT2 to remove the turret launcher, and leave the vortex if that was your choice. Via a simple checkbox list.

Name:	menu_weapons.jpg
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	333717

So it's entirely possible we'll do that again. We have not yet started on coding the weapons portion of the mod yet though, so we'll see.

We're currently leaning towards a modular approach this time, where we release a 'Core' section first (grapple, relics, etc), and then a 'Weapons' section after that. Followed by individual game types.

Hope that sounds good to you.

Comment

Greetings all. I know some of you have seen me around, but if not, I'm coding on the Chaos mod for UT4. Having a lot of fun with this so far and proud to be a part of such an awesome team as this Chaos team. Best...team...ever. I am brand spanking new to Chaos but not new to modding, and I am joined by some hardcore vets, so UT4 chaos team has a nice mix of battle hardened pro's and hungry rookies. I've been working a lot lately on refinements and fixes to stuff, and getting ready to embark on trying out some fun new features. It should be a Blast (oops did I let that slip..).
                  Last edited by warhead328; 01-05-2015, 11:53 AM.
                  Bombing Run for UT3 Coder https://forums.epicgames.com/threads...ease-Candidate
                  The Reliquary TRBP team Coder http://unrealtournament2004.filefron...tEffects;92208
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0p...Q7l8s-0ug_Etgg

Comment

:-) Glad warhead is having a good time. We're lucky to have him.

That said, any new modder out there should keep in mind that making a quality mod is serious business! ( <-- look kids, hyperlink! )

Edit: Oh, and BTW: thatscrawnykid is WIP'ing an armor shard. Will be animated glow-y effects in-game:

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
                    Last edited by R.Flagg; 01-06-2015, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Hey guys! I hope your enjoying my work in progress pictures. I'm constantly pushing to learn more and push chaos as close to a professional level as a mod has ever been. I wanted to share my latest model and although R.flagg beat me to it I think shedding some more light on the armor shard makes the materials stand out so here you go:

If the design seems weird for an armor pickup that's because it is, and we at Chaoticdreams are okay with that.
                      We are hard at work behind the scenes building a backstory for the world of Chaos that will show a more cohesive art style than the mod is usually known for. I hope you all are looking forward to the mod, I know I'm looking forward to sharing more with you as the development rolls along!

Comment

We got a good amount of things on the burner right now, but here's just a few of our WIP's

Here's a short vid showing our attempts to turn the player into spider man using our grappling hook.
                        We've tweaked up the hook to allow for shooting around the map like this, going for a more high energy and exhilarating experience.
                        Also shows at the end the new default Chaos jump movement (I'm toning down the dodge jumping a tad in the official cut however)

This one shows control strafe damping to allow for elegant strafing moves, so the hook slows down to give you more control as you strafe, and I can nail a strafe up to a pretty narrow roof top.

Bombing Run for UT3 Coder https://forums.epicgames.com/threads...ease-Candidate
                        The Reliquary TRBP team Coder http://unrealtournament2004.filefron...tEffects;92208
                        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0p...Q7l8s-0ug_Etgg

Comment

Looking good so far. Seems like you will step up the game with Chaos Mod for this installment in design too judging from the previous armor shard which also look very professionally made.
                          Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 01-20-2015, 03:35 AM.

Comment

Awesome work guys!!

Comment

Thanks guys! Really we appreciate the enthusiasm. Here is a quick art test I did to day, trying to define a mood for the mod so when we get to mapping we know where to start.

Click through for High res.

Comment

So I started work on something near and dear to the hearts of many old school FPS players:

The base model is nearly done, after that its all about making it more "Chaotic". ChaosUT will provide some unique opportunities for using this classic killing machine, hope you are looking forward to it.
                                Last edited by thatscrawnyki; 01-23-2015, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X