DM-1on1-Aerowalk Remake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-1on1-Aerowalk Remake

So I decided to remake the quake map Aerowalk.

I'm aware that someone has probably already started to remake aerowalk but I wanted to do it and it helped me get to grips with the editor a bit more.

Here's a video, apologies for the horrendous frame rate, I have no idea what happened and it made a lot of easy jump look impossible as I repeatedly failed them :P I probably need a new hard drive. Also there's no sound :P

Please leave feedback, if anyone wants the map then just post in the thread and i'll find a way of sending it to you or putting it up for download.
    :|

Remakes are always problematic imo: people have tons of memories of the original map and making it new goes against these memories usually. Making a good remake is an almost impossible task, even more when taken from a game and put into another. If it was only my call I would say don't use a Quake map to create a UT map. The whole map is crying for Quake and personnally I find is strange in UT because this ancestral UT feel is not really there.

Aside my personal feelings, the map looks well built. The sizes look correct though I would expand a few areas and the trick jumping is well though also. As a training map for the UT editor you did a pretty good job for sure. I believe someone else did a remake of a quake map, and the result is not a UT map. The map you currently have can become really nice for UT but you would have to break that quake feel and modify the layout to truly enable it to become a UT map. I'd really like to see what could be done to this map to turn it into a UT map.

Again, I like what you did and you surely did it properly. But for me a quake map is a quake map. If you can find a way to turn it into a UT map then I'll volunteer to be among the firsts to play-test it, you have my word.
    RASTE IN PEACE !
    Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
    Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

Actually i have only played two times Aerowalk in UT2004 and to me it didn't had the Aerowalk feeling that i had and enjoyed so much in QW, Q2, D3, Q3A and QL. But this time i think it could be different. From the video i can say it looks like a really good remake and it seems to have that Aerowalk feeling. Aerowalk was always a small map and all about, who has luck and gets the better spawn, who get's the importent items first and who is able to do a spawnkill. I have also thought to recreate the map and i considered for that a mixture of "Preacher's" Aerowalk from Quake 2 and Goofo's Areowalk from Doom 3 and a decently bigger map size to give the UT-Movement a bit more room. But as you did the job, i will just type down a few things

Some Basic informations:

In the Doom 3 version of the map, Goofo placed an evelator in the center of the map, which was a cool feature, because you where able to do "evelator jumps" It's really nice to see, that you added this also into the map. Here is a Screenshot from Doom 3

When it comes to the item placement i would consinder a mix of Quake 3 Arena: Hub3AeroQ3, Quake 2: AeroQ2 and Doom 3: AeroD3. Aerowalk had this infamous "Red Armor" (RA) lucky spawn, its nice to see it capt with the 100 Vest. Also the Trickt jump to get the RA was in each version of the map hard. To me personally the Quake 2 version was the hardest. It's really nice to see the idea bedhind the placing of the Vest and that you came up with you're own UT'ish trickjump to grab the Vest.

In the Original Versions from Quake World and Quake 2, Preacher had a staircase in the grenade launcher room. During FFA matches in Quake World, you could als pick up the Quad Damage at the bottom of the staircase. The Quake 2 still had the staircase but the Quad Damage was removed, because it was too powerfull in that small map (I did the Screenshot with EZ-Quake, hope it's okay)

In the Quake 3 Arena version: Hub3AeroQ3 which was made by Precher and Hubster: 4x Health Vials, have been edited to the grenade launcher room and a teleporter, insted of the staircase its up to you if you prefere the staircase or a teleporter.

When it comes to the weapon placement i am not sure if the Bio Rifle, is actually needed on the map, due to the fact that the flak cannons seconary fire and the rocket launchers grenade fireing mode are already uber close to a grenade launcher. As Quake 2 had no Lightning Gun but therefore the Railgun, the Chaingun was placed in the Lightning Gun room near the RA staircase. In Quake 2 this was the lucky spawn you wanted. Also in the Doom 3 version of the map the Chaingun was placed in this room and the Super Shotgun in the center of the map. (I did the Screenshot with Q2pro client mod, hope it's okay)

Weapon/Item placement:

Weapons
      The think i mostly disliked in the UT versions of Aerowalk was the weapon placement. Having the Shock Rifle and the Sniper/Lightning Gun in the upper area of the map, means that you actually have two strong long range weapons in the same area with that you can either do a deadly shock combo or a deadly headshot. As i can see in the video both weapons are once again placed in the upper area and are placed so that you can shoot down to the center.

Imagine you get the ultimate lucky spawn. You instant grab the 100 Vest and asap grab the Linkgun. Than you move to quickly grab the Shock Rifle and than move on to the Sniper. While you're opponent walks the other way round. The opponent grabs the Rocket, Superhealth and the Flak. Having no Sniper or Shock Rifle to grab for the opponent means he/she is going to have some hard times, while you defend the upper area with spaming the Linkgun and good placed Shock Rifle Combos. To balance you're Aerowalk and the situation with the long range weapons i would suggest different locations and force the player to move.

When i was planning to recreate arewalk i thought it would be much better gameplay wise, to have one longrange weapon in the lower area and one in the upper area of the map. With that decision you are forcing the players to move. If you want to grab the Sniper you have to walk all the way up and if you want the Shock you have to move all the way down.

The Shock Rifle i would place in the center of the map where in you're current version the minigun is. Aerowalks center is not really a place where you want to hang out while having a match, as you can be easily shot from all sides. The Stinger/Minigun i would place in RA-Room where currently the Linkgun in you're current version is. The Linkgun i would place where in you're version the Rocket Luncher is. This would also mean that the Minigun and Linkgun would be on the excat spot from the Chaingun and the Hyperblaster in Quake 2 which would be neat. The Rocket Launcher i would swap with current Shock Rilfe location and the Bio Rifle i would completely take out.

With that weapon location changes you're pretty close to a propper Aerowalk remake, but you also force the players to constantly move on. If you play Aerowalk in all of the version from Quake or in Doom 3 you will find out that you have to move constantly to grab the items you want before someone else does it and thats one of the core things that makes this map so good and dynamic for 1vs1 matches. The other thing with the weapon location changes is, that the center part of Aerowalk and the Evelator becomes actually intesting now. With that change you will see people quickly jumping down to the center to grab the shock rifle and you will see people using the evelator to quickly grab the Rocket Launcher.

Items
      I would add 4 max 5 Health vials in the hallway where the flak cannon is. So far the other health and ammo pickup look really good placed. Only thig i would change would be the location for the Thigh Pads and the Helmet. I would place the Helmet at the original Green Armor (GA) location in the hallway which leads to the Red Armor (Vest). The Thigh Pads i would place at the Yellow Armor (YA) near the staircase and the pillar in the Grenade Launcher Room (Flak Cannon)

Just Check the Armor Locations in this Video:
      Attached Files
      Last edited by ArKtur; 09-18-2014, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the awesome feedback guys

At the moment the map is just a smaller version of the ut04 aerowalk so I've used the same pickup locations. (With the addition of the helmet as ut04 only had 2 armour types so could not be as faithful to the quake armour placement) This is, however, very open to change. Taking ArKtur's point about shock and sniper on the same level into accoun, I propose swapping shock with bio which will make the shock harder to get (and much more times consuming) and will hopefully attract some more gameplay to that underused area of the map, and the bio will be much more useful on the upper part of the map, especially for area denial in the flack area.

Once I work out how to use raxxy's cooking and pak-ing program I can get the map on a few servers for testing and hopefully some more feedback, at which point I will start to mess with the pickup layout, map scale and some of the bsp areas (most notably the rocket launcher health area).

Also ArKtur, I can;t seem to see the screenshots you've posted :/ Is there any chance you could re-upload them in another format?

Comment

Well ... actually you sold me the Bio Rilfe with you statement

But for the weapon locations i suggest a bit more:
          The Shock Rifle i would place in the center of the map where in you're current version the minigun is. Aerowalks center is not really a place where you want to hang out while having a match, as you can be easily shot from all sides. The Stinger/Minigun i would place in RA-Room where currently the Linkgun in you're current version is. The Linkgun i would place where in you're version the Rocket Luncher is. This would also mean that the Minigun and Linkgun would be on the excat spot from the Chaingun and the Hyperblaster in Quake 2 which would be neat. The Rocket Launcher i would swap with current Shock Rilfe location. The Bio could stay at its current position.

The Screenshots are JPG-Files, maybe you're Javascript is diabled

Comment

Small bump..

I sent the topicstarter a PM, but no response yet.
            Any update on the map status? Is there maybe another person working on Aerowalk for UT4? I started creating my own, but its probably not a good idea to end up with multiple versions of the map.

Thanks!

Comment

Any update?
              DM-1on1-Deck8 | DM-1on1-BirdCage | DM-Complexo (GoldenEye Redesign) | DM-ShootThemMalcomsGood | DM-1on1-Toxicity

Designer at Candango Games. Check my Gamasutra Blog.

Comment

Looks good so far... Please upload a pak so we can test it.

Comment

has a potential, but seems to be too cramped.
                  https://www.twitch.tv/designerued - stream - maps, models, environment.
                  https://mymeshes.wordpress.com/ - blog - 3d modeling, tutorials, lifestyle

Comment

Too tightly. You need to make it at least 2 times wider and 1.5 times higher.
                    DM-Aerowalk| DM-StompingGrounds

Comment

GUI's DM-1on1-Ilarnek for 2k3/2k4 was a pretty good take on Aerowalk for UT.

I didn't care for the weapon placement though, shock and sniper in particular. They were both in high controlling positions, too close to each other and both were close to the 100 armor. I like Arktur's weapon placement ideas, especially for shock and rockets.

Comment

looking good but this scale works perfect in quake not ut... imo needs a ~1.25 higher scale
                        https://www.twitch.tv/designerued - stream - maps, models, environment.
                        https://mymeshes.wordpress.com/ - blog - 3d modeling, tutorials, lifestyle

Comment

This is over a year old :/

If people want I can do another version with fixed scale.

Comment

Originally posted by Flikswich View Post
                            This is over a year old :/

If people want I can do another version with fixed scale.
                            Originally posted by -Designer- View Post
                            looking good but this scale works perfect in quake not ut... imo needs a ~1.25 higher scale
                            Done already: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...30-DM-Aerowalk
                            DM-Aerowalk| DM-StompingGrounds

Comment

Working...
                            X