Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Abyss

Hi Everyone!

I'm making a Deathmatch map for the new Unreal Tournament. The whole overall theme will be sci-fi space station theme.

Title: Abyss

Version: 0.0.3a (prototype - graybox)

Screenshot Previews (0.0.3a):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DM_Abyss_003a_01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	355020 Click image for larger version

Name:	DM_Abyss_003a_02.jpg
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	355021 Click image for larger version

Name:	DM_Abyss_003a_03.jpg
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	355022 Click image for larger version

Name:	DM_Abyss_003a_04.jpg
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	355023

Arena Short UT Story:
    The Skaarji and Terrans have been fighting one of the most violent wars across the universe. They stumbled across a dying star with a strong gravitational pull, the Liandri has always figure out a way to make any hostile environment become a perfect tournament arena and also add a deadly trap as an honored tradition for our Tournament viewers.

Concept Arts:
    These concepts are a few months old; it’s only for brain storming the artistic style of the level. This is subject to change over time once the grayboxing of the level is done, (It will look a lot different and cooler than these concept arts). I am going to create new concept arts once I finish the graybox level. I am planning on making it look more grungy looking and still clean futuristic at the same time. Critiques are welcome!

Name:	lO289J.jpg
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	353574 Click image for larger version

Name:	bpN6t1.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	353575
    Click to Enlarge Photos.

Top-down Map Layout (Updated!):
    This is the top-down layout of the level as updated in November 17th 2014. Any comments is welcomed on the layout. You're encouraged to download the level and test it out before doing so.
    Top Floor:

Name:	Abyss_topFloor.jpg
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	355024
    'X' marks jump pads destinations from main floor. The red area is where the player can activate the trap room below, the player will also be able to see below in the room (glass floor in trap activation room).
    Main Floor:

Name:	Abyss_mainFloor.jpg
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	355025
    I have decided that the trap room should be a large escape pod room which when activated, leaves the space station map and heads straight to the black hole / dying star. I find it to be a much more satisfying death for the player.
    Bottom Floor:

Name:	Abyss_bottomFloor.jpg
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	355026
    Players can fall into outer space in between the bridge. The lift takes you to the space floor which the player can get a unique item and teleport back to main floor.
    Space Floor:

Name:	Abyss_spaceFloor.jpg
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	355027
    Space floor will have low gravity pulling the player into the black hole if not careful enough.

Video (DM-Abyss 0.0.3a):

Let me know what you think of the new layout! Any comments and feedback will help me greatly! Even simple comments such as the scale of certain rooms or things you don't like or like about the layout.

Change log & Future Updates:

Changes (December 27th 2014) - 0.0.3b:
    • Adjusted map layout and added what was good about the previous map layout.

Future Updates for 0.0.3c update:
    • Update Layout from Feedback and Testing
    • BSP Brush Materials and Map Lighting
    • Trap Room Blueprint
    • Add Low Gravity and Pulling Vortex effect to bottom floor and space floor blueprint
    • Optimize Level BSP
    • Stay tuned!

Download:
    DM-Abyss 0.0.3b (prototype):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/3cimyvw4pu...v003a.pak?dl=0
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Oblivion2500; 01-02-2015, 04:30 PM. Reason: Updated Map and Download link. Added video.
    I love Gaming, Computers, 3D Graphics, and ultimately I love Unreal Tournament and Unreal Engine!
    http://www.hawkeyegamedesign.com

Will take a look and play-test your map when you have a shell ready. Your concept arts look very bright, you might want to add some stronger contrasts in them maybe, just my two cents.

Looking forward to see where this goes, good luck !
    RASTE IN PEACE !
    Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
    Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

Originally posted by Raste View Post
      Will take a look and play-test your map when you have a shell ready. Your concept arts look very bright, you might want to add some stronger contrasts in them maybe, just my two cents.

Looking forward to see where this goes, good luck !
      I'm sorta of a newbie to concept arts and I really wanted to illustrate on how bright the level will be. I want the brightness and color values to be more like UT99 and UT24k rather than UT3 grayish brown tones. I will look into improving my concept art for this project. Thanks!
      I love Gaming, Computers, 3D Graphics, and ultimately I love Unreal Tournament and Unreal Engine!

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivion2500 View Post
        Hi Everyone!

I'm making a deathmatch map for the new Unreal Tournament. The whole overall theme will be a sci-fi spaceship theme. Here's some important information about the map:

Title: Abyss

Short Story (UT Version):
        The Skaarj and Terrans have been fighting one of the most violent war across the universe. They stumbled across a dying star with a strong gravitational pull, the Liandri has always figured out a way to make any environment in any situation become a perfect tournament arena and also add a deadly trap as an honored tradition for our Tournament viewers.

Story of 'What is the character(s) doing there?' / Purpose / Objective:
        The Terrans and Skaarj were fighting a huge violent war in the middle of the universe and ran into a dying sun/star, the dying star have a strong gravitational pull (it’s turning into a black hole), the human and Skaarj decided that they fight to the death as they realized that they are all going to die either way.

This is also a school project I'm doing for my game environment class. I love Unreal Tournament and I decided that I want to make a map for the game. I have done some concept arts for this map to fully visualize the idea of what I want to make.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8306[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]8307[/ATTACH]

Here's my top-down layout, there's a main floor and a second floor. The red dot in the center is the player size:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8308[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]8309[/ATTACH]

I have not started on gray-boxing the level yet. I will be done with that by next week. I'm happy to hear any feedback from you guys on this UT map as I work on this project. I will update any info on this project in this thread and on my website blog. Thanks for looking!
        How does your backstory contribute to your level's gameplay?
        Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
          How does your backstory contribute to your level's gameplay?
          Every environment or game level always have a backstory or a conflict behind it. Although Unreal Tournament does not have a big story for each map as it's a tournament game. Having a story during the design process of making a environment really helps a lot. It also gives me the artist a idea of how the environment would look or function. For example, I'm having a trap added to this map, you must think of why there's a trap in this level, well there will be a room with the redeemer and if the door close behind you (somebody press a button to close it and open the main door to send you off to space), you fly off to space and die. Also it's part of the assignment of needing a story and objective goal.

If you look at Unreal Wiki site and say look at CTF-Facing Worlds, you can see the description which is a very small backstory for the map. It says "This ancient asteroid has been converted to an Arena for the Tournament. It is highly dangerous due to aberrant gravitational properties and, of course, the snipers from the other team." (source: http://unreal.wikia.com/wiki/CTF-Face). Many UT99 maps had a small backstory added to each one, while not visible in the pc version of the game. If you played the PS2 version of UT99, you will see that at the map selection screen, you will see a small story on each map. It also make the map sound much more interesting and makes the player want to explore the area. Of course, this is Unreal Tournament, every environment of any kind becomes a arena which is cool.

Comment

My point is I feel like if the setting of your map is supposed to be inside a black hole you should have some gameplay element which reflects that in some way -- Not really concerned with what or how, but you should definitely give some thought to that.
            Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Well, since you've called your map Abyss now, you'll be obliged to use my track Abyss as well

I agree with Wail above though; people need to see the black hole somehow, that's the best way. What if you'd make some sort of hallway that's broken in the middle (like a segment entirely missing), so players would have to jump through space to reach the other side, and will see the black hole under them while they jump?

If the jump would fail (due to being shot), they'd fall and get pulled down faster and faster and die eventually of course

Not sure if there's a suitable place for something like this in your map, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a hallway of course :P And even better: it can be done at multiple areas, if you make the spaceship look all worn and damaged!
              Last edited by Avalanche._; 10-02-2014, 10:33 AM.
              Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
                My point is I feel like if the setting of your map is supposed to be inside a black hole you should have some gameplay element which reflects that in some way -- Not really concerned with what or how, but you should definitely give some thought to that.
                Yes, I'm trying my best to make it reflect the name and backstory. What I have done to make it be part of my backstory is the overall theme is inside a sci-fi battleship. The room with the redeemer (labeled'RR' on top-down layout 1st Floor), if a player enters that room and another player press the button nearby, the door will shut thus keeping the poor player inside and the hatch door will open inside and send the player off to space. To clarify on the black hole, the 'dying sun' is not yet a black hole, it's becoming a black hole therefore it's has a strong gravitational pull on the ship and the ship struggles to pull itself away. The Terrrans and Skaarji's decides they're going to fight to the death as they know they are not going to get out of this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Archer6621 View Post
                  Well, since you've called your map Abyss now, you'll be obliged to use my track Abyss as well

I agree with Wail above though; people need to see the black hole somehow, that's the best way. What if you'd make some sort of hallway that's broken in the middle (like a segment entirely missing), so players would have to jump through space to reach the other side, and will see the black hole under them while they jump?

If the jump would fail (due to being shot), they'd fall and get pulled down faster and faster and die eventually of course

Not sure if there's a suitable place for something like this in your map, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a hallway of course :P And even better: it can be done at multiple areas, if you make the spaceship look all worn and damaged!
                  Awesome soundtrack! Thanks! It's perfect.

While I do want the map to look clean and not too damaged. I want it to look like a modern UT2004 sci-fi map.
                  Here's some changes of my top-down layout, maybe this will reflect on the title name and the black hole theme better? Please critique it and let me know. Thanks.

Name:	2yumV7.jpg
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	330719 Click image for larger version

Name:	LkstvS.jpg
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	330720

Comment

Awesome soundtrack! Thanks! It's perfect.

While I do want the map to look clean and not too damaged. I want it to look like a modern UT2004 sci-fi map.
                    Here's some changes of my top-down layout, maybe this will reflect on the title name and the black hole theme better? Please critique it and let me know. Thanks.
                    I think it's a bit early for meaningful/detailed feedback right now, aside from idea brainstorming, which you already have done for a large part.

If I were you, I'd just start with boxing the map out at some point with the ideas you have atm, and then post screenshots/progress, or even post a cooked version so people can hop around in it. The latter will give you the best feedback as well, people can fully experience how the map flows that way
                    Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Originally posted by Archer6621 View Post
                      I think it's a bit early for meaningful/detailed feedback right now, aside from idea brainstorming, which you already have done for a large part.

If I were you, I'd just start with boxing the map out at some point with the ideas you have atm, and then post screenshots/progress, or even post a cooked version so people can hop around in it. The latter will give you the best feedback as well, people can fully experience how the map flows that way
                      Yeah, I agree with you. I will get my graybox done by next week. I'm currently download UE4 4.4.2 source code and Unreal Tournament so I can start making the map and play around with the proper movements and item pickups in place.

Comment

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r12ovfszai...ybox.umap?dl=0

Here is the link to my graybox of my level. Don't expect a neat looking graybox, I wanted to get the shape and prototype the level before I do a clean and neat looking graybox level. Also for some reason I can't package the map, so I uploaded the .umap file instead which you can download easily via the link above. Another problem I had was that I can't place any weapons in the level. No matter how many times I drag the BP_'Weapons' to the level it just won't show up. Not the biggest problem right now. I just want to throw out my level and have some critique on it. Try to be as critical as you can be with this graybox level. I also want to start making the assets this week.

EDIT:
                        Unfortunately I don't have a video to show my level for those who don't want to download the level. I will provide a YouTube video of it once I complete the clean/neat version of the graybox once I get some critique on it. I want to complete this grayboxing stage by end of the week. I'm still thinking of changing the halls to have a destroyed wall that leads to outer space (activating low gravity around the area) and therefore makes the name and story more sense to the the level.
                        Last edited by Oblivion2500; 10-09-2014, 12:12 AM. Reason: More information that I forgot to add in...

Comment

Update Prototype 0.05:

Update Prototype 0.05 is up!

Please check out the video link above and critique it for me. I have some ideas for changes to be added to the blueprint before I start making assets for this level. Here are some screenshots with comments on them:

Trap Room with Redeemer:
                          I don't have a blueprint setup yet for the trap room, I just want to see what other people have to say about this. The plan is to have it where if one player goes for the redeemer, another player can press the switch thus trapping the poor player in the room and the other side of the room door will open sending the player to the abyss (outer space) killing him.

Name:	4C8Etj.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	330862 Click image for larger version

Name:	ZkhyZv.jpg
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	330863 Click image for larger version

Name:	nw0z4D.jpg
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	330864 Click image for larger version

Name:	gI4PaP.jpg
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	330865

Should I make these windows longer vertically?

Name:	PKneFv.jpg
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	330866

Should I close up this wall or do you guys see something potential with this side of the room?

Name:	toZlOG.jpg
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	330867

Should I keep these square holes or just get rid of them?

Name:	jxGTjs.jpg
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	330868

Should I have a destroyed hall that leads to outer space? The player could maybe hop on a floating platform to get to the other side. There could also be body armor on the platform...

Name:	ogM2Mm.jpg
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	330869

Finally! I want to add a uDamage pickup to the level. I thought of adding small platform in the wall and the only way to get it is to get on the elevator and before it gets to the stop, you jump, launching yourself to the uDamage (if you make it).

Name:	DoqABF.jpg
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	330870 Click image for larger version

Name:	A9mZ46.jpg
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	330871

Let me know what you think so far and I will be glad to hear back from you guys!
                          Also sorry I do not have any weapons pickups or many ammo pickups placed around the level. For some reason, I can't drag the BP_weapons to the level viewport. I can't seem to place them into the my level. Odd...does anybody know a quick fix for this?

EDIT:
                          Forgot to add link to my dropbox download of the level (.umap file - not quite sure if I'm packaging this correctly, please let me know!):
                          https://www.dropbox.com/s/r12ovfszai...ybox.umap?dl=0

YouTube link works now! For some reason when I uploaded the video it disabled allowing embedding to other sites.
                          Last edited by Oblivion2500; 10-10-2014, 10:23 AM. Reason: Added Dropbox download for level to try out! Also YouTube link should work now!!

Comment

Uploaded a .pak file! Let me know if it works!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9r9ecpyw2q...Abyss.pak?dl=0

Comment

Uploaded a .pak file! Let me know if it works!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9r9ecpyw2q...Abyss.pak?dl=0
                              downloaded the pak, put it in WindowsNoEditor\UnrealTournament\Content\Paks. ran UT tried to test it but its not showing up for me to chose it
                              Join the community Facebook page
                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

Working...
                              X