DM-Lazerworks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Lazerworks

After seeing how much fun it is in DM-Hydraulics to allow players to control parts of the layout of a map, I decided to explore new ways of doing it. My new map, "Lazerworks", will feature a big lazer that powers the systems in the map. The idea is to allow the player to activate / disable the lazer that powers the whole map. Power will be needed for some platforms, doors, lifts and such to remain open / in the air. Therefore when a player disables the lazer, all these elements will be disabled as well, forcing the player to rely on trick jumping to achieve the same movements or use new routes. See it as two maps based on the same layout but with different accesses, and that toggling the lazer allows you to go from one map to the other at will.

After seeing the DM-Overlord map and the feedback on DM-Hydraulics (about the trap), I feel like this is a good way for me to explore new things and bring a new element into UT maps. I plan on making regular updates in this thread and I will ask you folks many questions on the ideas I'll have for this map. So this is full transparency and I will detail every steps of the process. Starting right up, here is an Early concept of the map, it's a start ! This is very raw at the moment but with more work the layout will start to emerge from all my rooms drawings (hopefully).

VERSION 0.7

Tasks:
    -> establish a first layout for the map
    - add the lazer trigger
    - work on ways to alter the layout dynamically and offer alternative routes / ways to compensate
    - refine the map layout
    - add the platforms, lifts, doors, etc. altered by the power surge
    - and more...
    Last edited by Raste; 12-08-2014, 05:39 AM.
    RASTE IN PEACE !
    Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
    Weapon: Redeemer

Started to work on the map in the editor. I have 3 or 4 sketches I'm currently putting in the editor and so far this is how it looks:

Here you can see the teleporter's room. There will be a fan in the whole in the ceiling which will chop anyone touching it provided the lazer is powering the station. If disabled this will be a nice shortcut. As explained in the previous post, I'm exploring new ways to dynamically modify the layout of maps.

As soon as a full layout will be done I'll post a .pak version. I'm also streaming some of the creative process here:
    http://www.twitch.tv/rasterayzer

It may not be very entertaining at first because I have to test the layout and scale it. This is a ton of work where you only see me jumping around and correcting BSP sizes... In any cases all feedback is welcome !
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Raste; 11-07-2014, 12:23 PM.
    RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Already looks like an interesting layout
      My UT2004 Maps

Comment

Originally posted by Gleedo View Post
        Already looks like an interesting layout
        There is much work left to do before this can even be considered a playable map. But we're getting there, one step at a time . Speaking of steps: been working a solid 3 hours to make this new room (left the paper design, right the BSP):

There will be a lift and 2 exits for this room. It holds the damage amp. I have been learning a lot with hydraulics and now I see that I can get a much nicer BSP shell with less iterations than before. Also seems to have a more defined style now which is different from the official maps but, hopefully, still cries for UT. Stay tuned for more, I hope I'll be able to bring in one more room by the end of the week-end.

Though this is incredibly early WIP, feedback is welcome !
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Raste; 11-08-2014, 11:22 AM.
        RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Von den bildern her sieht die Map nicht schlecht aus

Comment

Looking great I love the lighting
            :|

Comment

There is maybe an end at the tunnel

Comment

Originally posted by ChA1NsAw View Post
                There is maybe an end at the tunnel
                I think we have Chumb0 to thank for that, he's been kind enough to bring up the subject at the community event. This is great news !
                RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

A short preview of version 0.15

Now I pretty much know where I want to take this map, so I can work more on the layout. All feedback is welcome !
                  RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Week-end Update

Worked quite a bit on the layout. I want to keep this map quite small, trying to make it fit a duel size. There will be one more small room and more routes to interconnect the rooms. Overall I believe I have to simplify the layout and add more variations in floor and ceiling's height. From top left to bottom right:

1) Added the bio support over there, it can become useful for trick jumps
                    2) Top of the map
                    3) I went crazy on this room. It will feature more platforms for more aerial combat and great duel opportunities
                    4) View from the belt platform
                    5) Small changes for this room that now features a jump pad to reach the bio
                    6) The Amp room has now only one barrier and feature jump pads too (they keep your xy direction)
                    7) "THE" lazer
                    8) The room next to the one with the lazer, has a chest armor and hosts the shock rifle. The last door from here will reach the last room I have to create through tunnels

This is all very experimental, I'm toying around with map design. I'm really interested to know what you guys think of it !
                    Attached Files
                    RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Come this Map this Year now?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris UT4 View Post
                        Come this Map this Year now?
                        I'm hoping to finish the shell for this year yes if this is what your question is about ^^ Planning on starting a 3rd map, but shhhhut ! It's a secret !
                        RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

The layout is a bit more advanced now. I worked hard to get the general shape of the rooms ready. It's currently in version 0.6 and needs a lot of work until v1, but I like where it's going.

All feedback is welcome !

EDIT: already started to reduce the size of the map :P
                          Last edited by Raste; 11-29-2014, 02:55 PM.
                          RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

looks good. it's a little dark for me. the lighting could be tweaked to be more eye friendly. but good job so far keep up the good work....
                            AKA TwocensT

Comment

Originally posted by platnumspider View Post
                              looks good. it's a little dark for me. the lighting could be tweaked to be more eye friendly. but good job so far keep up the good work....
                              Thanks for the feedback. My maps are always too dark at first because I have a very bright screen. Will tweak it :P
                              RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Working...
                              X