• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-1on1-Disperse

Updated for 11/21/2014

DOWNLOAD
    https://ut.rushbase.net/Numb/Maps/DM...wsNoEditor.pak

Linux version available here! https://ut.rushbase.net/Numb/Maps/DM...uxNoEditor.pak

I haven't posted any maps in a while because I haven't made one that I thought was worthy of posting until now. I've been struggling greatly with scale, but now I think I finally have it right.

About the map:

This map is very loosely based on a Quake map called DM-Aerowalk. That map has very fast teleporter/z-axis gameplay, and I have tried to replicate the complexity that both combinations bring. Of course it is not as fast as quake, but I tried to find an interesting pace that didn't bore the player, or tire them out due to sheer action.

Armor Placement - I placed armor similar to DM-ASDF. I tried to space them all out evenly because I thought that feature makes ASDF flow really well. When they are spaced out evenly, the player in control usually does a predictable path in which the out of control player can counter with spam. Not only that, but because they are spaced out evenly, its hard for the in control player to get ALL the armor.

Health Placement - I also placed health packs in a similar fashion to DM-ASDF. I decided that I would put two pairs of health packs on the complete opposite side of the map, and specifically in areas where I think there might be a lack of travel. DM-ASDF has only 5 vials, and I like the idea of health vials being rather rare. I settled down on the number vials and decided to scrap the unoriginal idea of using them as sound queues. I have vials placed right next to the lesser armors, and the amount of vials near each armor is a direct relation to how powerful the armor is. The weaker the armor, the more vials there are. This is experimental. I have no idea what the repercussions will be, but I think it will help the player who knows they aren't strong enough to fight for the belt.

Primary Powerup - I used belt, obviously. I designed the map around this location, as in... i started building the map by the shield belt room. It's a rather generic room. Some belt rooms are dead ends, but I pretty much **** my pants in those types of levels so I decided against it. Honestly, I like belt rooms that have two options, but still remain a choke point. I used lifts because they can offer optional z-axis gameplay, but can also be disrupted with a well placed shot. They offer more versatility than jump pads, but are not as consistent as jump pads.

Secondary Powerup I have (temporary) boots in my level on a little island surrounded by death. You actually HAVE to rocket jump to get to them, so if you want them, you better be stacked and ready to get shot out of the air. They deserve this obstacle because they are really over powered. I plan on creating a secondary duel powerup via blueprints to replace boots I want to make it cater to levels that don't have the ceiling height to preform a boot jump.

Weapon Placement - I honestly just winged this. There was not much thought in placing both ammo and weapons. I put flak low and sniper high. Thats about all I follow.

Current Visuals - I decorated a little because I refuse to have a hideous shell. People are probably going to be playing the shell (If the map is good) for a few months. So i'd rather it not be an eye sore.

Final visuals - I plan on going for an simple and artistic look. Partly because my modeling skills are horrible, (look at my doorway) and because I want the player to have absolutely no problem seeing the enemy without bright skins.

Bugs - The teleporters are bugged in the current UT build. (You can't dodge into them, or they will spit you back to where you came!) When will they be fixed? I don't know. It's not going to be important to epic until they have a map with multiple teleporters as well. It's probably also really easy to get outside the map, as I didn't bother with blocking volumes.

Screenshots

Video- Sadly my video bugged and I did not get to show what I fully intended. Here it is anyway.

DOWNLOAD
    https://ut.rushbase.net/Numb/Maps/DM...wsNoEditor.pak
    Last edited by Numb.51; 11-22-2014, 08:04 AM.

Interesting theme.

Comment

Felt the Q3 presence without even reading your original post ^^

Map looks kinda cool, will give it a spin when I get some time
      RASTE IN PEACE !
      Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
      Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

I like the name
        Can't wait to play it
        :|

Comment

Really dig the clean shapes and overall composition of the spaces! That little blast hole underneath the lift is a neat idea also. One crit just based on looking at the video would be to take just a little bit of time and space out ammo pickups around the weapons a bit, make people run paths to stock up on ammo.

Nice job man!

Comment

Thanks clawfist! I can't believe that idea escaped me while placing the weapons and ammo.

Comment

Very nice work on this Numb.51
              Ran around it for a few minutes so far so don't have much feedback at the moment other than it seems to play well. May have more later :-)
              Good stuff.
              MyArtstation
              @jayoplus

Comment

Hey Numb.51, just spent some more time running through the map. Took a little bit of getting used to ^_^
                Nice touch with the arrows. I do have a bit of feedback about those. Perhaps it could be useful to use the arrows that you have over the teleporter paired with respect to color so that gives some indication where the player will end up. Personally, since this is a DM map, I don't think it's relevant to have the arrows over the elevators (you're not guiding the player to an objective) so perhaps that could free up those arrows to be used as well as other colors. The reason I say this it could be a cool thing where the colors of the teleporters in the different locations can possibly be used to call out location when players play the map.

Also as Clawfist mentioned, nice touch with the hole under the lift... maybe experiment with making it a bit more obvious? Dunno

I couldn't for the life of me make it to the jump boots, but I managed to get over there by going ghost ^_^... again, nice touch with that. Could it be better to experiment with other powerup types there though? Could be an interesting standoff location in team games.

Good stuff again.
                MyArtstation
                @jayoplus

Comment

Haha thanks jayoplus. Yeah the map is complicated with all of the teleporters, but that's how I intended. I want this map to have a high skill ceiling. I'll be sure to color code them to reduce confusion. I just have to find a way where it doesn't look too tacky! The arrows on the lifts were just for stylized purposes. I thought they looked cool haha, but if they are confusing or really not needed then i see no reason to have them. Especially since this is a shell and it's going to be replaced by meshes anyway.

As for the lift. I want to make a blueprint button for both sides so the lift can be opened up and then shot through. Having to jump on and off the lift is a little cumbersome, especially then the window has a small time frame of being open. Plus, it would allow for an easier execution of prediction for both sides of the window. It's just going to take me some time to learn blueprints, but i'm sure it cant be that hard to implement.

I like the island idea. I actually plan on making it about twice the size it is now. I want it to be big enough to have a comfortable in your face 1v1 battle. Do you suggest I put the amp there? I put the boots there because it's the only other power-up that is used in 1v1, but boots really aren't ideal for my map at all. If I put an amp there, the area won't get used in 1v1, but it will make the map 2v2 compatible.

Comment

This is a GREAT medium sized map with an interesting theme. I'll provide more feedback as I play it more!!

Thanks numb!
                    Steam
                    irc.globalgamers.net #galaxy #unrealtournament #ut4pugs
                    UT Username - nvz
                    gg! Galaxy Gaming Community

SPECS
                    || Core i5-4670k @ 4.2 gHz || ASUS GTX 1070 4GB VRAM ||ASUS VG248QE ‑ 24in 144Hz || Random 54 inch TV || Mouse - Razer Deathadder Chroma || Keyboard - Microsoft Sindwinder X4 || Case - Cyberpower Titan X || 16 gb DDR3 RAM || Logitech g930 Wireless Surround sound Headset || Steelseries QCK heavy + Mouse pad ||

#PREALPHA

Comment

Teleporters is thing that UnrealTournament always lacked - good to see them!

Comment

Nice job! I will give a try soon.

Comment

About to do some duels on your map with a friend. I love the theme, eye candy already.

Will report back...

o/

Edit: Does not work with new build
                          Last edited by vibeZ; 11-22-2014, 03:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vibeZ View Post
                            About to do some duels on your map with a friend. I love the theme, eye candy already.

Will report back...

o/

Edit: Does not work with new build
                            Raxxy did me a huge favor and cooked my map for me since I cannot compile 4.6. The map should be on the servers but it needs to be manually selected.

THe link above should be updated with the new version.

Comment

Originally posted by Numb.51 View Post
                              Raxxy did me a huge favor and cooked my map for me since I cannot compile 4.6. The map should be on the servers but it needs to be manually selected.

THe link above should be updated with the new version.

Excellent! Can't wait to try it.

I usually just host a dedicated, and he joins off that.

Comment

Working...
                              X