Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] CTF-Invade [Asymmetric CTF Prototype]

DOWNLOAD .PAK a06
    Please extract and place .pak file in your local .../Documents\UnrealTournament\Saved\Paks

DOWNLOAD EDITOR SOURCE FILES(coming)

Update 04022015
    - Made the draw bridge work! :-) So it can now be raised and lowered by shooting the indicated trigger (I may have to adjust the up/down time though)
    - Tweaked the layout of the blue base shock rifle area to allow for some z-axis play. Though the whole blue base is still generally two levels.
    - Tweaked lighting a bit to make the shell brighter (lighting is of course very flux"y")

Video update:

Cheers

Update 03182015

- Reworked the blue (outside) base to be more outdoorsy as a compromise between the initial look and current version. One of the initial feedback I got from the first version was that it was not so clear where the bounds of the map was on the blue side which was really the driving force behind the changes. But I think the current iteration works to show the play space.
    - Added an additional (riskier) route that goes through the narrow bridge above the water pit.
    - Pretty much implemented majority of the feedback from Sid as well as a lot of tweaks to the layout (too many to list)
    - Fixed a few bugs and issues with catapult blueprint. Basically reworked this piece and the area. There is no longer a lead up "push" rather, the player stands on the pad that launches for 2s. This actually works better that the previous iteration since now there is a possibility of launching more than one player so we'll see how this works. ^_^ I still have to work on the messaging of the time to launch (right now it's still only audio messaging)

On that note, I am liking where this is headed. Again, pretty simple asymmetric layout with both bases having very varied play styles.
    Video:
    http://youtu.be/XN_wKe-cTQ0

Update 02232015

- Rescaled the map overall to be about 25% smaller in the vertical axis.
    - Redone layout on the blue base to provide more cover and make it less open for long range attacks.
    - Tweaked the cannon so that it's better calibrated. There is still some issue with having it trigger properly and I think it has to do with the way characters interact with sloped floors :|.
    - Several other item and layout tweaks.

http://youtu.be/bAfhTnaHmHw

Update: 01282015
    So, this map underwent some massive overhaul over the past month or so.
    Basically, as I thought of ways to rework the current layout, it became clearer and clearer to me that doing the whole Space/Land theme may just been a little too convoluted. So basically started from the bottom floor and rebuilt.

Current version is a lot more simple with respect to layout. The asymmetry still exists and there is still (I believe) a different style of offense/defense for both bases. I also reworked the traps that I had in the previous version so the doors simply shut to prevent a route access (similar to Bollwerk ruins).
    The theme of the map is also largely changed. I always like for maps to have some sort of story so hopefully this one comes across when you play through. Editor still has some slight bugginess so some things may be slightly off balance. The "launcher hammer" needs to be properly calibrated (the trajectory line is missing for jump pads for some reason - so it's difficult to visualize) but it still works currently. Need to watch out for the spikes though ^_^.

Here's video.
    http://youtu.be/CMvKS7EUXts

Hello Everyone and season's greetings.

So I started working on this around Thanksgiving (off and on) and I figured I'm at the point where I should get the initial pass out there.
    This is an asymmetrical CTF level with the core idea being that one team spawns in space (space ship with tight rooms and corridors) and the other team spawns on land (on an island - open ground) with an intermediate sort of middle area (both open and tight) with a control point.
    The concept of the control point is a King-of-the-hill type area that the team in control can use to access additional spawn points. This essentially enables the team in control of the "hill" to have the ability to spawn a little close to the enemy base allowing more attacking opportunities.
    Also in the space base, there is a trigger that shuts a door to prevent access to the flag. This can be used on defense or on offense to prevent a capture.

Here are some screenshots of the level and the download link for the .pak file is provided above.

There are a few features that I had to cut out due to either it didn't make sense or I couldn't find a way to implement. However, I figured I'd get it out to at least put in the hands of more people.
    Please share feedback and thoughts.

Cheers and merry Christmas to all.

^_^
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jayoplus; 04-02-2015, 04:58 PM.
    MyArtstation
    @jayoplus

sweet downloading

Comment

So, this map underwent some massive overhaul over the past month or so.
      Basically, as I thought of ways to rework the current layout, it became clearer and clearer to me that doing the whole Space/Land theme may just been a little too convoluted. So basically started from the bottom floor and rebuilt.

Current version is a lot more simple with respect to layout. The asymmetry still exists and there is still (I believe) a different style of offense/defense for both bases. I also reworked the traps that I had in the previous version so the doors simply shut to prevent a route access (similar to Bollwerk ruins).
      The theme of the map is also largely changed. I always like for maps to have some sort of story so hopefully this one comes across when you play through. Editor still has some slight bugginess so some things may be slightly off balance. The "launcher hammer" needs to be properly calibrated (the trajectory line is missing for jump pads for some reason - so it's difficult to visualize) but it still works currently. Need to watch out for the spikes though ^_^.

Here's video.

OP DL links have been updated.

Cheers all.
      MyArtstation
      @jayoplus

Comment

Dude, yes! Awesome

Sorry I never got around to giving you proper feedback on the old version - but it would have come down to simplification mostly anyways heh..

Love the assault feel this has going and doing simple gimmicks over terribly complicated ones is great as well. Also nice touch how the gate interacts with the sling shot, looks fun! Not sure you really need the pit of death down there though, having to lock yourself into a bad position for a couple seconds to get the launch already seems like a solid trade off.

Really curious to give this a go, though unfortunately not sure when I'll actually get the time to give it a proper run through.

Nice job!

Comment

This looks awesome! Really great job Jay!

My only real feedback without playing it is that the midfield looks quite cluttered visually speaking, I think it's just the very stark gray green ground material that's doing it.

Comment

Awesome work, you should absolutely polish this one off and keep smashing out imaginative asymmetric maps.
            VCTF Stranded is by far my favorite map from UT3, so versatile and well balanced. Your map reminds me of it a little.
            Last edited by Heir-Apparent; 01-31-2015, 09:37 AM.

Comment

like how you returned the red flag at the end ! PRO -.- XD LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMvKS7EUXts

Comment

Thanks for the comments ^_^. Hope this is enjoyable for everyone.
                And of course I'm happy to take all feedback.

Originally posted by Clawfist View Post
                Dude, yes! Awesome

Sorry I never got around to giving you proper feedback on the old version - but it would have come down to simplification mostly anyways heh..

Love the assault feel this has going and doing simple gimmicks over terribly complicated ones is great as well. Also nice touch how the gate interacts with the sling shot, looks fun! Not sure you really need the pit of death down there though, having to lock yourself into a bad position for a couple seconds to get the launch already seems like a solid trade off.

Really curious to give this a go, though unfortunately not sure when I'll actually get the time to give it a proper run through.

Nice job!
                Thanks. Yea, I had to bring myself to terms with scrapping and restarting. Spent about the first couple of days really trying to simplify the previous version, but it just wasn't working out ^_^.
                I see your point about the pit of death to the sling shot. I'll play with that but I look forward to getting more feedback.

Originally posted by NATO_chrisjm View Post
                This looks awesome! Really great job Jay!

My only real feedback without playing it is that the midfield looks quite cluttered visually speaking, I think it's just the very stark gray green ground material that's doing it.
                Haha, cow skin... I can't unsee it now.
                MyArtstation
                @jayoplus

Comment

Hello everyone,
                  So I went and updated the map for the most recent build and also made several adjustments. Working on levels is taking me longer recently due to an issue I'm having with the editor so apologies for the late updates ^_^

- Rescaled the map overall to be about 25% smaller in the vertical axis.
                  - Redone layout on the blue base to provide more cover and make it less open for long range attacks.
                  - Tweaked the cannon so that it's better calibrated. There is still some issue with having it trigger properly and I think it has to do with the way characters interact with sloped floors :|.
                  - Several other item and layout tweaks.

DL link in OP has been updated.

cheers
                  MyArtstation
                  @jayoplus

Comment

great map so cool what you can make
                    at 1 spawnpoint i think is blue i fall trough the floor
                    how that big bright work

Comment

Ah snap!
                      I may have forgotten to delete one of the playerstarts when I made the layout changes. Sorry about that. Will fix!

Edit: Broken spawns have been fixed. Please redownload the file. Thanks :-)
                      Last edited by jayoplus; 02-23-2015, 11:03 PM.
                      MyArtstation
                      @jayoplus

Comment

Jayoplus... Your bsp skills are up there with clawfist, and to be honest it ****s on my soul. I wish I had that skill.

Everything about this map looks great. The scaling in the CTF maps seem to be substantially better scaled than the death match maps people are making.

The atmosphere is cool and very unique. The cannon mechanic is really really cool. It's nice to see something that powerful have a cockback to balance it. I can just imagine ******* off a player trying to use that.

I'm assuming that shooting the cog will open up that gate for the redeemer? If so, nice.

I haven't had the chance to play in it but the second i get home I'll test it and give you feedback either here or on IRC.

Comment

The only thing I wished, is that the mid grassy field part would be a bit big bigger than it is. For me the bases are located slightly bit too close to each other, if you use the launcher you're already almost at your own base.

Comment

Originally posted by Numb.51 View Post
                            Jayoplus... Your bsp skills are up there with clawfist, and to be honest it ****s on my soul. I wish I had that skill.

Everything about this map looks great. The scaling in the CTF maps seem to be substantially better scaled than the death match maps people are making.

The atmosphere is cool and very unique. The cannon mechanic is really really cool. It's nice to see something that powerful have a cockback to balance it. I can just imagine ******* off a player trying to use that.

I'm assuming that shooting the cog will open up that gate for the redeemer? If so, nice.

I haven't had the chance to play in it but the second i get home I'll test it and give you feedback either here or on IRC.
                            Hah, thanks man ^_^ I appreciate the compliment. Don't think I'm anywhere near Sid's level though :-)
                            The cog actually shuts both doors (up top and the main door). The cool down time is the duration before the doors reopen.

Originally posted by RPGWiZ4RD View Post
                            The only thing I wished, is that the mid grassy field part would be a bit big bigger than it is. For me the bases are located slightly bit too close to each other, if you use the launcher you're already almost at your own base.
                            This is by design. I am hesitant to make it the middle bigger since that is by design the "gimmick" of the cannon. There are some drawbacks to using the cannon which include locking you in a set trajectory (so you have to make sure no one attacks you while you're locked there for 2 seconds), the jump can be blocked by someone shutting the doors, and the player has to time the air control in order to miss the raised spiked bridge.

Thanks for the feedback ^_^
                            Last edited by jayoplus; 02-25-2015, 04:15 PM.
                            MyArtstation
                            @jayoplus

Comment

Hey man, spent some time running around in this today. Like I said previously, really dig the theme you got going on here, lots of cool setups/spaces. Simplicity is very nice also (we really need an asymmetrical map for people to test that isn't too hard to parse).

Some feedback:
                              • I assume you are already thinking about this but you should really try and figure out a BP solution for your cannon/catapult mechanic. The idea is really cool but I don't think you'll want to deal with different movement modes/slope friction etc. Along those lines that will probably also force you more to come up with a proper thematic wrapper (doesn't really look like a catapult or cannon right now).
                              • The door mechanic is cool, however, wondering if the current implementation wouldn't simply result in people closing it the second they can. Does it have a cooldown period while it's staying open somehow as well? Might balance things out a bit.
                              • Alternatively might work well to simply have it stay closed for a shorter duration so it's only ever really useful momentarily when actual action around that area is happening.

Anyhow, more feedback in the attached screenshots. I think you got something great here with a lot of potential. Hopefully get a chance to playtest this at some point in the future.

Awesome job man!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X