X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] CTF-Hardwall

Download ACTF-Hardwall_a3
    Download CTF-Hardwall_a1

This level is designed with a super competitive variation of CTF in mind. I detail it on another thread for game types Here.

Game play footage of the level in standard CTF

First video where I first talk about the idea for the game mode.

Last edited by Castle; 01-22-2015, 06:56 PM.
    - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjE...JOGtfv1RK2DpNg
    Steemit: https://steemit.com/@thecastle
    Twitter: @zZCastleZz

Just tested it out with insta mutator because to me it screamed gib. Very fun nice . good work.
    Join the community Facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

Definitely looks like it'd work well with instagib. Perhaps it would be better to move the flags further back as it's probably possible to rocket jump almost the entire distance and translocating will make the map feel much smaller. I also like the round based perma-death idea, kinda like tam with an objective
      :|

Comment

This is a great idea at a gamemode, really makes you think more of the strategies and teamplay. This is like pure clan style gameplay. It's probably a lot more fun playing organized than just random public games but either way I can see the fun in this.

It looks like it potentially could be scaled up just a little bit but it needs playtesting before knowing for sure.

I don't really have much constructive criticism at this point, I just wanted to point out my appriciation for people like you that don't just want to do the same stuff in UT but actually try some new ideas and this is a good example at that.
        Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 01-19-2015, 01:42 PM.

Comment

sounds like TAM mixed with CTF.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
          Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Flikswich View Post
            Definitely looks like it'd work well with instagib. Perhaps it would be better to move the flags further back as it's probably possible to rocket jump almost the entire distance and translocating will make the map feel much smaller. I also like the round based perma-death idea, kinda like tam with an objective
            Yes instagib would work great especially combined with the mode of play I have in mind! I also want to disable the translocator for this mode.

Here is the list

The game mode is highly competitive variation of capture the flag.

Its 4vs4 round based CTF with no respawning until the round is over.

Team damage is enabled for this mode by default.
            Translocator is disabled for this mode by default.

1. If a player dies he goes into spectator mode and cannot respawn until the next round.
            2. If a team captures the enemy flag then all players respawn at their spawn points and a new round begins. (Everything resets including weapon pickup timers, warmup countdown ect.)
            3. If all players die then the team who has done the most damage is awarded an enemy flag capture. (Go to number 2)
            4. If the timer runs out and nobody has captured the flag then the team who has done the most damage is awarded an enemy flag capture. (Go to number 2)

Originally posted by RPGWiZ4RD View Post
            This is a great idea at a gamemode, really makes you think more of the strategies and teamplay. This is like pure clan style gameplay. It's probably a lot more fun playing organized than just random public games but either way I can see the fun in this.

It looks like it potentially could be scaled up just a little bit but it needs playtesting before knowing for sure.

I don't really have much constructive criticism at this point, I just wanted to point out my appriciation for people like you that don't just want to do the same stuff in UT but actually try some new ideas and this is a good example at that.

If anyone knows a programmer who is willing to help out or work with me on this it would be great. As it stands right now I will have to figure out how to code this myself.

Comment

Some map design ideas that might go with this:
              -Make the biggest surface on the same height level grass.
              -Make it so there is water all around the map on the outside (or another liquid that kills).
              -Have a stadium scenery around the map.

So this way It would look like a stadium match. And grass is the main ground level, and the blocks are concrete blocks sticking out. Also the water/deathliquid would just be there for the players not to run off the field.

Comment

I like the idea of being able to spectate from above and see all the action. It looks pretty cramped though, maybe changing the lanes to one bigger lane and two smaller might help with that and give some hierarchy at the same time.

Big +1 to this game mode idea though. Would love to see it in action. I think it would add all the elements needed to make the game more stable and intentional rather than choatic and hard to watch. It adds a lot of tension that current dm/ctf modes don't have, which is a very important factor to me. Tension is what makes spectating enjoyable as it keeps viewers waiting to see how things play out, it keeps them interested. Current dm/ctf loses your attention very quickly since there is no real flow or momentum/tension to follow.

It also could remove the translocator for CTF which would increase the spectating/playing value for me greatly. At the moment, watching everyone blink around the map is too hard to watch -- and removes tension as well -- since you just avoid most fights heading to the flag. It seems like it works against all the interesting points of the game. Yes, I understand the game play advantages of the trans, but to me there are more cons than pros.

I'm also a fan of what it does for the weapons. Like you mentioned with the strategy for the impact hammer secondary, and Bio. It allows for some more defensive strategy and slows down the game while still keeping the speed of the actual players quite high (which are all big advantages to me).

Lastly, I think this idea achieves what I think half-time was supposed to achieve and does it a lot better. Giving the players a break, and increases the flow of a match by adding more points of excitement and tension in match.

Keep up the good work. Cheers!

Edit: made this real quick to illustrate how I think it would affect the tension/excitement of a match compared to regular CTF. Each bump is meant represent the general end of a round where excitement is usually the highest.

Last edited by Gooba; 01-19-2015, 03:57 PM.
                Dm-Sand | Idea to Concept Thread

Comment

Download ACTF-Hardwall_a3

So I took a look at what I can do right now and I am able to put in place a very basic implimentation of the mod. The major change is that it instead of permadeath you have a 15 second respawn time.

As far as rounds being setup I still would like to do. The next version of the mod will likely have everyone reset to their spawn points with a short count down timer after a flag capture. So the flag captures will still follow a round based model but it wont totally change how the CTF code already functions. Basically a capture will reset everyone and give them a 5 second counter.

Right now I am more focused on getting a base implementation in place which is team damage turned on, no translocator and harsh death penalty. These aspects are all now in place.

Note: You will not be able to play the map from the standard menu. You have to start a server then type open ACTF-Hardwall_a3

Completed list so far.
                  • Team damage is enabled for this mode by default.
                  • Translocator is disabled for this mode by default.
                  • If a player dies he has a 15 second timer before being able to respawn.

Remains to be done list.
                  • If a team captures the enemy flag then all players respawn at their spawn points and a new round begins. (10 second wait before match commences)

Last edited by Castle; 01-22-2015, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gooba View Post
                    I very much agree with everything you've said, especially the tension/release aspect of gameplay. Confrontations need to feel important for spectating to be enjoyable. While duels are not very accessible to most players as a game mode, they are the only place this sort of thing happens in the game currently. There are moments of quiet and collecting and planning, and a gradual buildup to of tension towards the moment of confrontation. In other words, there needs to be some foreplay - no one likes a quick finish.

Comment

Cool stuff Castle, curious to see where you will take this!

Playing around with a round based approach for a new gametype is really compelling in general (especially for reasons Gooba pointed out). One really interesting aspect that I feel is missing here is asymmetry of objectives and layout. What makes CS so compelling in that regard is how the dynamic in the match and overall flow can drastically switch based on objective status. That change is also really obvious because each team is allowed to focus on a single goal that is very clearly communicated.

For example having the last T sneak around and plant while 3 CTs are still around and hunting him forces dramatic stand off moments that are interesting to watch. As a spectator you also have information asymmetry to pull you along (you know more than that last T does therefore it's much more compelling to see how things turn out from his perspective), which again is more valuable if asymmetry exists (i.e. one side takes the role of aggressor while the other becomes defensive, which again, can switch mid-match).

By using "classic" CTF as a base where everything is symmetrical I think you are missing some of those opportunities by making both teams focus on essentially the same goal and it's much more likely that rounds will turn into stand offs or quick team wipes.

Single life per round is interesting to try though I wonder if something that relies on cascading respawn times might not also be something that's worthwhile trying. If say you had an asymmetrical map with one team having a goal (and say 2 ways of accomplishing that goal) while the other teams purpose is to simply prevent that goal you also get the interesting dynamic that the timer adds to the round. This forces the team with the goal to pursue that goal if they don't want to forfeit the round. Also works nicely with the idea of side switching half way through.

There are other hybrid possibilities here too (interestingly enough the last Tomb Raider game had what I thought was a neat mechanic in MP - I believe the gametype was called "Rescue"). Team A has an objective to accomplish x times (IIRC it was "one flag-like" retrive object to home base thing) to win the round while Team B has to kill Team A y times to win the round.

Anyways, sorry for the wall of text. It's something I've been thinking about a lot myself lately - food for thought

Comment

Good points there, too. Asymmetry would also make for more interesting map designs. Another alternative to single life per round might be some kind of teammate revival system - when a player dies they drop a "respawner device" of some sort, which if captured by a teammate (probably with a capture time associated with it) respawns said player. If captured by an enemy, the player is out for that round permanently. The respawners would act like mini-objectives which could add another interesting dynamic to the game.

Comment

Working...
                        X