Map : DM-Gothic (remake)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Map : DM-Gothic (remake)

Originally intended for UT3 but never released a final, so I'm re-working it before doing something else
    (I'm making this from the ground up in UE4, using many assets I already have but improving them further)

Some trims and gargoyle

..Earlier video..

(I haven't done the lighting so it's a bit dark)

Looking forward to do weather and effects (amongst other stuff) in the new engine
    This video shows some early testing of changing weather in the UT3 map..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNPVerCOFoU

Wish list.. (things I'd like to learn in the new engine)
    - Materials like Carpet and Wood catching fire and burning a little when hit by certain weapons (eg Rocket launcher)
    - Destructible things (bits of stone wall and trim falling off when hit)
    Last edited by sneh; 06-06-2014, 01:43 AM.

As I already said, this is the way to go. Can't wait to see it in the new UE
    http://i.imgur.com/6dJ1rdc.jpg

Comment

This looks really good! For my flavour the exterior could be a bit darker but I see no problems here. I just started playing the UT-series with 2K3 so I don't know the whole map. Could you upload a ground plan too?
      PS: Do you know a link for this area rain effect as tutorial, which is only active near the player?

Comment

Originally posted by ChimaereJade View Post
        PS: Do you know a link for this area rain effect as tutorial, which is only active near the player?
        Unfortunately don't know of any tutorials - I just made it up as I went, and I'll probably be doing the same this time as well

The way I did it was mostly in the rain material itself, so the visibility would drop off over distance.
        I used 2 simple static meshes with instances placed all around the external parts of the map. (a simple plane mesh for edges, like next to overhangs or roof etc, and one to fill in larger open areas). From memory I had the meshes themselves visible by distance as well.
        I had a different rain material for the edges so the rain would start slowly at the top and fall quicker near the bottom as if it was rolling off the roof

That was the best way I found in UT3 to get it looking just right, I don't yet know how complicated it would be to do instead with particles or something in the new engine..

Comment

Are those the original shanechurch textures?
          Dueling Flak Cannons
          We see the shells falling
          Together, we die

Comment

Looks great!
            Overenthusiastic wannabe UT4 modder (I once made UT3 BattleRPG, UT3 Battle Team/Freezetag Arena, UT3Fixer, etc.)

Please visit DVGaming.COM for our Unreal Tournament servers (UT2004 and UT4) and mods.

Comment

That Na Pali architecture, now I'm weeping for Unreal Campaign again

If UE4 DEV KIT wasn't so pricey for me, I would TOTALLY make this campaign.

Comment

Nice work dude!!!

Comment

that looks pretty cool
                  History: UT99 (2003 - 2007; 2009 - Now) UT2k4: (2005-2007), UT3 (2008-2009)
                  UT Nicknames: Shotman, HeatWave, MY_KID
                  UT Clan: -={SDA}=- (Sniping Death Angles) and zsu (Zark Snipers United)
                  UT Main Menu Design

Comment

I was wondering what happened to this. Rain and lightning effects really add additional atmosphere.
                    From the video it looks like faithful remake.

Comment

Originally posted by TrickyVein View Post
                      Are those the original shanechurch textures?
                      Would you believe..
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	lZd4beA.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	328308

Yeah, they're mostly based off the originals (HD texture pack)
                      I've done some work to enhance them even further (while trying to keep much the same overall look) and made specular and normal maps as well.

Comment

looks great, showed some ut99 tdm clan mates and they were impressed! keep up the good work

Comment

Originally posted by sneh View Post
                          Unfortunately don't know of any tutorials - I just made it up as I went, and I'll probably be doing the same this time as well
                          You should check out the Solus Project demonstrations on Unreal's channel. He explains how he created a rain effect that follows the player's relative position. I can't recall the details but I remember being impressed. :P

Comment

sneh, this is great!
                            I have always wondered what happened to that map back in UT3, it's great to see you moving this to Unreal Tournament!
                            I'm really looking forward to what you will do with this in Unreal Engine 4.

Imo, such styles/themes and map remakes of classics are badly necessary for a new UT! Keep at it!
                            S l y .

Comment

you did release an alpha of this (the one with the 3d statues an stuff) did you not? I've still got it Would love to see this brought forward

Comment

Working...
                              X