Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Map] DM_Neon [ WIP ] Feedback welcome!

Hello everyone!

I'm here to show some of my progress on my new level i've been working for a little while now. Currently I only have about half of the map done, the other areas still need some work.

Here are some quick thoughts. I might update some more as I run across issues or feedback from others.

I decided to change this into a symmetrical CTF map. I deleted several big areas of my level and decided the two parallel buildings in the middle could create some interesting scenarios with CTF. More on my thoughts about this later.

Game Type: CTF (Just recently changed!)

(DONT BOTHER DOWNLOADING) PAK FILE: https://ut.rushbase.net/89Supra/CTF-...wsNoEditor.pak

Goals for the level:
    Vertical movement.
    Lots of dodging ability.
    Jumping should feel natural/rythmic. (Player should not have to think about the jumps.)
    Some long corridors and rooftops for snipers.
    Mid level should be more for automatic weapons.
    Close combat at ground level.

Things of concern:
    Snipers can see to much of map. An excellent sniper will destroy the match.
    Players feeling lost/lack of clarity.
    Blue team/ red team side advantages.
    Anything that impairs movement and flow.

Here are some screenshots. Updated (5/20/2015)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 89Supra; 05-20-2015, 02:18 AM.

Here is a quick edited screenshot showing some of the jump patterns and maneuverability in the center hallway. My hope is this area can create some very unique duel and sniper scenarios.

Attached Files

Comment

The layout is very weird.
      It's look like a snipermap without enough hiding places.
      The places are too open for a classic DM.

The middle places with 2 building and the multiplateforms is not sens for the game DM.

Mb you should work on a smaller map. It's look huge.
      Try to reduce your map (erase part of your work) and concentrate on a small part.
      Think on circle way or multi circle way which intersect each other

Wait your new posts.

Comment

First of all, thank you both for the feedback and concerns. I've given the feedback some thought and it has helped influence some of my decisions moving forward.

I timed how long it took for one player to go from spawn to spawn and it took 17 seconds. This was not a direct run to it either. I dont think the map is too big currently. It might just feel that way in the screenshots too. Once i get more props and get further into completing the blockout I believe this will help it feel smaller. Additionally this will help other players have cover from sniper fire.

As for power up/weapon spawns. Darksky you nailed it. I dont have many of them in place yet, but I have areas set up for them to be exposed to sniper fire. So a quick dash could get the power up or if the sniper is skilled enough, set up for a highlight reel shot.

Anyway thanks again. Keep them coming! Here are some more screenshots.

Attached Files

Comment

The idea is really good, but it's too big. If you make the map way way smaller, and make it more "arena" like, with that idea and layout scaled down, it might be interesting!
          work: www.POLEGAR.pt

Comment

Ill start shrinking the map down a bit as suggested. It will probably end up looking the same, but the playable area will be smaller. I hope to get a few playtests up and running fairly soon.

Here are a couple more screenshots. Nothing major changed, but a few quick visual tweaks.

Attached Files

Comment

Some more progress pictures. One side of the map is still heavily under construction. I decided to change my initial spawn points and am currently looking to relocate them. This will be very important not to give away any early advantages for TDM.

Going forward I will finish the blocking out the one side. Help guide the player and work on flow, probably change some bsp buildings during this time. Create colored wall pads so players know they can wall jump on it and successfully land in a certain area. (This will also help with player guidance.) Then pickups/jump pads/weapon spawns.

Attached Files

Comment

Some more edited screenshots. These shots show some advanced wall jumps. I believe with enough of these in place advanced players will be able to move fluidly around the map. Less advanced players will still have some great jumps that feel rewarding as well. The green pads will be updated later to maybe a smaller decal that's less obvious to players. But they subconsciously know that spot will land them to a similar spot with that decal.

I think having a lot of these jump spots will create a very high skill cap for players. Unreal is easy to pick up and play, but with levels like this it will be difficult to master. This opens some great doors for awesome sniper shots out of the air, rockets from above etc. Hopefully this will help clear up a little bit of my vision for this level.

My thoughts are a little scattered at the moment since it is very late for me. But let me know any additional thoughts/concerns! Thanks!

Attached Files

Comment

This map looks well suited for counterstrike or call of duty. Might be a bit too big/open for an arena shooter...
                  Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Dr.ToxicVenom: "How bout we duel, and let our skill decide who's right and who's wrong? I'm in Unreal Carnage [Dallas] Right now. Come join."
                  MonsOlympus: "How about you work your way up the ranks first then we'll talk LAN, until then. Have fun trying to find people to play against you and your crappy attitude, good night!"
                  Dr.ToxicVenom: "DAAAAAAMN! That dodge was almost as good as my multi-dodge. Nice!"

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.ToxicVenom View Post
                    This map looks well suited for counterstrike or call of duty. Might be a bit too big/open for an arena shooter...
                    its a sniper map, quite perfect for that purpose.
                    Join the community Facebook page
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

Originally posted by code187 View Post
                      its a sniper map, quite perfect for that purpose.
                      Shhh don't encourage them! With any luck the zark noobs will fade into a thing of the past!
                      Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Dr.ToxicVenom: "How bout we duel, and let our skill decide who's right and who's wrong? I'm in Unreal Carnage [Dallas] Right now. Come join."
                      MonsOlympus: "How about you work your way up the ranks first then we'll talk LAN, until then. Have fun trying to find people to play against you and your crappy attitude, good night!"
                      Dr.ToxicVenom: "DAAAAAAMN! That dodge was almost as good as my multi-dodge. Nice!"

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.ToxicVenom View Post
                        Still working on this. It needs to feel less open on the lowest levels of the map. But the upper/top areas (where most of my screenshots have been) should be tailored towards sniper fire. Once I fill in more of the lower levels with more bsp blocks etc, it should feel better. But its definitely a concern of mine that I have to keep an eye on.

Comment

Here is a quick camera flythrough. I might do a character run through later to show off some jumping techniques and flow.

Updates: I changed a bunch of areas for better flow. It was difficult to reach the upper levels of buildings.

Still working on: Overall layout finalizing. The interiors of the buildings need lots of work. The item/ammo/powerup spawns still are not placed.

Comment

No screenshots currently, but i have a short update to some work I've been doing.

I've been working on weapon/armor and ammo placement. Im curious on everyone's thoughts on how these placements effect flow.

So far ( I have yet to test this) I've been thinking about creating ammo spawns in correspondence with how I expect players to move(flow) through the level and how/where the weapons will be used.

Example: Snipers will want to stay on rooftops, therefore ammo is higher up in the level. But also in a way that the player has to move around (exposing themselves) to get this ammo.

This has me at a three or four level system (ammo respawn), each one using heights locations for benefit of the strengths of each weapon.

For armor I have these spawns split throughout the level. The player must travel all heights and areas of the level to complete the entire armor set. With the most valuable piece(arguably) being at the biggest chokepoint.

So im curious what everyone's thoughts are on how this impacts flow in level designs. For the most part I've felt as though some ammo respawns felt a bit random, but this might just be my lack of experience with UT in the past. Im also curious if anyone has tried anything similar and how it worked out for their map. I think this will all come down to testing the map with players. That ultimately will get me the most information.

Comment

A little update: Currently working on getting a pak so people can run around in the level and check everything out.

Im having issues with what looks like running out of memory when I attempt to build the map. Anyone else having this issue? Is it simply just a windows pagefile issue and a simple fix is just raising the pagefile memory amount? I have 10gbs of RAM that should be plenty.

Comment

Working...
                              X