No announcement yet.

[Map][Remake][WIP] DM-Deck [New Version 20180305]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This map would certainly work for the doublejump combo but without it you would need to change a whole lot. I love the basic layout, which i dont say quickly! It seems like a perfectly suitable tdm map, however not for 1vs1 dm (too large)

My only worry is, the original deck was so exciting because some parts were very difficult to access (sniper control top) which required a lot of skillset using boots and shield from down below. It divided the map and made it super competitive. My only worry is, is the map not too accessible on every stage?? (Requires less skillset and could turn into chaos?)

Other than that, i am jealous and wish i could do that. I have ideas but not your skillset imo top knotch work!
    Last edited by orchild; 05-11-2014, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EnigmatiK View Post
      Oh yes, sorry !
      So, is there something here ?
      I updated the video you can have a look, there is nothing on the box where the amp used to be, but 3 vials on the nearby platform. I haven't made decision about this area yet, so welcome to give suggestions.

Originally posted by van Kuss View Post
      Show us the other maps too if you can, would be awesome
      I have at least one ut3 map to finish, it will also be released for this new UT. Right now it is not ready in UE4 yet.

Originally posted by darksonny View Post
      ChongLee hey! I hope you remember me lol

The map somewhat reminds to another game with shiny blanks surfaces buildings whom game's name cant recall, sexy what pallning do you have with this map?
      Yeah I remember you!
      Been a while.
      Do you mean Mirror's Edge? The current plan is to make it next to a dam, so one side is a lake and mountains, another side is the dam, waterfall, and the city in the vista. But, still too early to tell the details.

Originally posted by tigerclaw View Post
      I like this map the most from the OU beta maps

It looks like it would really work well as a 1v1/2v2 or 4v4 map, the design aspects you've added are mostly good

The only bad point is the lifts, the lift jump is wayyyyyyyy too high, the design kind of strips it like Deck17 does

You could still get up to that right side area by hammer/shield jumping off the lift, in fact that's a trick to get into the windows too

The redeemer spot above lifts was also more open in deck16, this allowed people to come out through the portal and either drop down or dodge over and out into the middle area through the windows, a popular route which opened up the map

It's impossible to tell how the map will work until we have an alpha to practice with, but this looks very sound

GJ
      Thanks!
      Yeah I agree the lift jump is something I need to think through. About the redeemer spot, I don't like what it is right now, I want to create lift jump opportunities there but don't want it to be too easy or too difficult...The route from the the redeemer to the window, currently it is blocked intentionally, but like I said, the whole room needs to be redone. I will do that in the next few days.

Originally posted by G.Lecter View Post
      For a textureless map, it looks fantastic already! Loving the mix of indoor and outdoor spaces.

As much as I'd want the Bio platform to have more use, I have to agree with lamarpavel's thoughts on the usefulness of the main room's ramps. The liftjump from Shock to Bio is probably my least favourite part right now, and it doesn't look very well scaled anyway. I kinda like the window to cover the Flak hallway from above, though... The other hole from Sniper to Flak will be fine as a drop-down, as long as the lift is removed, but you may want to close it up a little so you can't spam flak secondary from bellow so easily.

I love the new Amp placement aswell, although I kinda felt there was too much useless space by the Rocket (now outdoors) area.

Looking forward to seeing the progress! If there's any chance for this to become an official map, I'd say don't go much wilder with the changes from the original level...
      I actually agree on everything!
      Made some changes today, before seeing this post, so if you have time, check the new video or the sshots and tell me what do you think.
      About the SR to Bio Lift, yeah, I really need to redo for that area.

Originally posted by HitscanGaem View Post
      I'm not very well qualified to judge which addition will enhance or hurt gameplay, but I do appreciate your ability to visualize new routes and modification to a classic map. Seeing them on video was pleasantly surprising.

Even if most of them do not work out or make the final cut, I would like to commend you for the effort. It is fascinating how a few tiny adjustments can alter important areas and gameplay.

Personally I like seeing "re-imaginings" more than remakes of originals, despite all the nostalgia I may have. The only caution I have for you is for waaay down the line when you get to decorating it. What came to my mind when you mentioned it being a dam was CTF-Hydro16 and its remake for UT3. I really liked the original Hydro, both for its layout and the distinct environment. When it was remade for UT3, while it kept the fun layout, I felt it lost a bit of its soul (the color pallet was dull, the radioactive goo pit was removed, the color contrast, etc). Now I know you plan on doing a nice outside environment which I am excited about, and I did enjoy the art direction of TheDecks2004. Just maybe not as much industrial clutter, etc. Since Deck has a very similar visual style I would hate to see it loose some flair. Sorry if I am being a bit of a worry wart here!

http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/w/im...TF-Hydro16.jpg
      http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/w/im...F-Hydrosis.jpg
      I have the same feeling like you do for Hydrosis, the original one was way cooler but the new one lost it. Thank you for remind of this, I will try to avoid this as much as I can.

Originally posted by sMoLz View Post
      Well, without that lift jump being possible, the map as it is would be absolutely unviable as the sniper nest side would be totally overpowered.

I think most changes are good and make for a more fast paced and intricate map design, but the usefullness of the ramps is a very valid point, there is currently no reason to go there.

Yeah this is also what I feel, I can't just remove that lift jump...Made some changes to improve the ramp usefulness, so give me feedback when you have time. Thanks!

Originally posted by Wutsittou View Post
      Like the atmosphere of the open deck. Hopefully you will allow players to push others off the deck for a kill!
      That could happen.

Originally posted by RMJ View Post
      This is how people should always showcase their wip maps imo, without textures.

It focuses on the important part, the map with no texture clutter.

Texturing comes after the map is more or less final.
      Can't agree more, the time you spend on the layout is never wasted, when it is done, you know it is solid, then do the art work, and you don't worry about redo it because there is no big surprise.

Originally posted by orchild View Post
      This map would certainly work for the doublejump combo but without it you would need to change a whole lot. I love the basic layout, which i dont say quickly! It seems like a perfectly suitable tdm map, however not for 1vs1 dm (too large)

My only worry is, the original deck was so exciting because some parts were very difficult to access (sniper control top) which required a lot of skillset using boots and shield from down below. It divided the map and made it super competitive. My only worry is, is the map not too accessible on every stage?? (Requires less skillset and could turn into chaos?)

Other than that, i am jealous and wish i could do that. I have ideas but not your skillset imo top knotch work!
      Then just give me your ideas! No worry, I will try to balance it, a good difficulty but not a scary one. For now, it is too early to tell if all these changes are good. Need to wait for the real game to see.
      [WIP]: DM-Deck(Remake) | DM-DeepBlue | DM-Peak(Remake)

My stuff: @ Youtube | @ Small site | @ My blog

Comment

Wow *_*
        Really like now !
        You can maybe put an armor on the box or something else.

Comment

This is looking awesome now! All the changes will make the gameplay very interesting.
          DM-1on1-Deck8 | DM-1on1-BirdCage | DM-Complexo (GoldenEye Redesign) | DM-ShootThemMalcomsGood | DM-1on1-Toxicity

Designer at Candango Games. Check my Gamasutra Blog.

Comment

Interesting changes in the gameplay.
            But please give these pictures some fov ;D

Comment

amazing work!!
              unrealer since 1998

Comment

Love the edits, looks like a really fun map to play. Really great work dude.

Comment

very nice picts & start....this game is going to be at the top of the top if mappers like you "rebuilt" the legendary maps....DM-Glacial is still one of my UT3 fav map, all is so polished and detailed
                  cant wait to play on a chongleeed deck
                  http://unrealoldfriends.activeboard.com

Comment

Is there a possibility to test run maps like these? Or would i need to be registered with the unreal 4 engine? Would you want people like us to test play maps like this?

I would be easier to give suggestions for gameplay. Perhaps, if you want, you could give options of what is possible to do with the map and that way get our feedback. Dont get me wrong, i love these updates with the pictures and the video, but it just gets me darn excited to get involved!

I am liking it more and more

Comment

man, this is amazing, can't wait to see it finished
                      really good job!!

Comment

Love what you've done so far, the map looks good and opened up in most areas

I'd like to make the case to slow the lifts down and keep the ledges by the lifts, plus keep one of the ledges by the deemer spot on either side

I'll upload a video for you later

Comment

Originally posted by EnigmatiK View Post
                          Wow *_*
                          Really like now !
                          You can maybe put an armor on the box or something else.
                          Do you mean the armor next to SR? That part I still haven't decide what to do about. Gonna try something tonight.

Originally posted by luauDesign View Post
                          This is looking awesome now! All the changes will make the gameplay very interesting.
                          Thanks! I saw your advanced movement thread today during the lunch break, interesting topic, didn't have time to reply but I will

Originally posted by Eduardo "SeeD" Baltazar View Post
                          Interesting changes in the gameplay.
                          But please give these pictures some fov ;D
                          What do you mean? Give fov?

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
                          very nice picts & start....this game is going to be at the top of the top if mappers like you "rebuilt" the legendary maps....DM-Glacial is still one of my UT3 fav map, all is so polished and detailed
                          cant wait to play on a chongleeed deck
                          Thanks! Recently I have thought about port Glacial to this UT (**** I really hope they give it a code name instead of just call it UT), could be fun, but on the other hand, I really want to try new maps.

Originally posted by orchild View Post
                          Is there a possibility to test run maps like these? Or would i need to be registered with the unreal 4 engine? Would you want people like us to test play maps like this?

I would be easier to give suggestions for gameplay. Perhaps, if you want, you could give options of what is possible to do with the map and that way get our feedback. Dont get me wrong, i love these updates with the pictures and the video, but it just gets me darn excited to get involved!

I am liking it more and more
                          I am still using Open Tournament to build and run this map, although the project is stopped since the official next UT announcement, but I guess before I can get the new UT editor, this is the only option.
                          I think there is a way to play it, without having UE4 subscription, need to do some tests before I can tell you.
                          [WIP]: DM-Deck(Remake) | DM-DeepBlue | DM-Peak(Remake)

My stuff: @ Youtube | @ Small site | @ My blog

Comment

Here's a video showing some typical tactics and moves used in the lifts area

There isn't a need for another way up to bio as people can hammer jump or dodge from the window to the ramp, balance is good

People also get up high a lot using boots

In 1v1/2v2 action focuses around armor and belt, but in 4v4 you see the other areas at the back likew the flak positions being used

Comment

Really pleased to see a map being made where the maker is concentrating on getting the space right before doing an art pass. Very nice work!
                              VFX Artist
                              Portfolio: www.pietermans.com
                              Blog: blog.pietermans.com | downloads | tutorials

Comment

Originally posted by chonglee View Post
                                Made some changes today, before seeing this post, so if you have time, check the new video or the sshots and tell me what do you think.
                                Checked out the new video and shots... As usual, it looks great, although I don't agree with some of the changes... Just minor stuff, though:
                                - I'm not keen on the triple double jump to the Amp. It may be OK from a balance point of view but I'm expecting that to be too flow-stopping in practise. The jumpad was fine IMO (if the speed isn't too high, it will make you vulnerable enough), with the crates maybe as an alternate route. However, I think the ramp that leads to the amp should be transparent, or even something you can shoot through, as it looks a bit like a hiding spot right now.
                                - I'm also unsure of the JumpBoots route from the last pic, it may turn into an abused camping spot aswell.
                                - As for the 3rd pic, keep an eye on the width of the platform. I think you should always be able to kill whoever is there with a shombo from the Minigun->Shock walkway. The top zone may not be a place to reach if you just go with the map's flow, but IMO it has always been interesting enough.
                                - Finally, I don't see the point of the 2 first pics. If you just want the window to be used to cover the tiny vials area with so many limitations, then I think it's better to just close it altogether as it may end up frustrating players rather than being of any help. IMO it's safe to give that window a decent view range (not too much, though), as long as you are also able to shombo the window from a mid distance in the Flak hallway-ramp zone, which you can't right now...
                                DM-Batrankus is out on the UT Marketplace! Enjoy!

My UT Maps: | JB-Makoy (UT3JB) | JB-Fragtion2 (UT2004JB) | CTF-Opposite (UT2004) | VCTF-Antropolis (UT2004) |
                                My Puzzle Levels: | Tetrobot and Co. | Portal 2 | Toki Tori |
                                My Localizations: | Killing Floor |

Comment

Working...
                                X