No announcement yet.

[Map][Remake][WIP] DM-Deck [New Version 20180305]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did a quick port to make this map new UT compatible, feel free to download the map and try it. I use Nick_Game as the gamemode, so you can test the new movement in this map, which also means it is not the OT version anymore, and start from now, I will replace the layout meshes with BSP, so it is much easier to change a small part directly in the editor to try out ideas.
    But it could take me one or two days to replace the meshes with BSP, before that, you can check the quick port.
    Don't have time yet to implement some ideas discussed recently.

Download:
    * It is compatible with the new UT(github version), so if you are a UE4 subscriber, you could check it in the editor *
    Download from Wuala

How to Open It:
    • First you need to get the Unreal Tournament Project package from here
    • Then download my map, extract the zip to your local folder: ...\Unreal Projects\UnrealTournament\Content\Maps\
    [WIP]: DM-Deck(Remake) | DM-DeepBlue | DM-Peak(Remake)

My stuff: @ Youtube | @ Small site | @ My blog

Comment

lol... meh
      Last edited by Chaos8192; 08-21-2014, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos8192 View Post
        Can you update the first post when you've some spare time? this map is very interesting, I like it.
        Yes the original post has been updated. Thank you!

Comment

Great Job presenting the level idea...i think the outside areas are a good idea...looking forward to seeing the outside environment you decide is right for the map
          https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sm.zombieultra

Comment

Originally posted by chonglee View Post
            I feel mostly the combat are around the straight line of the main room: the elevator room --> the jumpboots --> the belt --> the teleporter --> back to the elevator room.
            It is something unique but I don't really like it, aesthetically, because when some map areas are not used enough often compared to other areas, for mapper this is something unbalanced. Well, unbalanced is a strong word, so I am a bit exaggerated here, but you know what I mean.
            I honestly don't see what's wrong with that... It may not be the most balanced map ever, but that's what Deck is about, and most importantly... that's what makes Deck so awesome: you can just jump into the map and you'll learn what the whole layout is about in less than a minute. If you try to fight against Deck's nature, you may end up with 'just another balanced map' and most players won't like it as much as the original... I'd definitely vote against new teleporters or warpzones...

I don't agree with the heat map either. You may get that if you did a test with bots, but I think human players are aware of the danger of the middle zone and they won't be there except to grab the important pickups... at least that's the way I've always played it...

I do agree with the lift room, though... I think it's probably what I've always disliked the most about the map. Having a weapon, an armor and 2 healths so close to each other attracts too many people to that spot, and the slow lifts become a flow-stopper to me. I think at least one of those pickups could be moved to the top of the lifts, but I wouldn't mind seeing a whole redesign of that particular room.

About the top left Flak... I've never been a fan of placing weapons at deadends... it just adds to the frustration every time to respawn. The ramp could be a better spot for the 2 nearby healths, moving the weapon to the middle of the room.

BTW, have you played my CTF/JB conversion of Deck for UT2k4? I did a whole item placement redesign in that level. It's clearly oriented for a 2-base map, but it might still give you some ideas!
            http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=199413
            Last edited by TheGlecter; 05-21-2014, 08:32 AM.
            DM-Batrankus is out on the UT Marketplace! Enjoy!

My UT Maps: | JB-Makoy (UT3JB) | JB-Fragtion2 (UT2004JB) | CTF-Opposite (UT2004) | VCTF-Antropolis (UT2004) |
            My Puzzle Levels: | Tetrobot and Co. | Portal 2 | Toki Tori |
            My Localizations: | Killing Floor |

Comment

Hey Chong sorry for the delay mate, I was busy in realife, yeah that's mirror edge a great game, lol with this UE4 power the lighning is key to ( apart next to the scale, sizes etc...) to créate shadows and light that it will does involves the combat visión against player ( maybe would no have to be needed the brighskins or whatever the pro name it lol)

Comment

Originally posted by WarpSpasm View Post
                Great Job presenting the level idea...i think the outside areas are a good idea...looking forward to seeing the outside environment you decide is right for the map
                Thanks!
                I am still thinking about one thing of the vista, that is how to achieve the Unreal feeling. The waterfall, the dam, the city view, they are good, but probably not Unreal enough.

Originally posted by G.Lecter View Post
                I honestly don't see what's wrong with that... It may not be the most balanced map ever, but that's what Deck is about, and most importantly... that's what makes Deck so awesome: you can just jump into the map and you'll learn what the whole layout is about in less than a minute. If you try to fight against Deck's nature, you may end up with 'just another balanced map' and most players won't like it as much as the original... I'd definitely vote against new teleporters or warpzones...

I don't agree with the heat map either. You may get that if you did a test with bots, but I think human players are aware of the danger of the middle zone and they won't be there except to grab the important pickups... at least that's the way I've always played it...

I do agree with the lift room, though... I think it's probably what I've always disliked the most about the map. Having a weapon, an armor and 2 healths so close to each other attracts too many people to that spot, and the slow lifts become a flow-stopper to me. I think at least one of those pickups could be moved to the top of the lifts, but I wouldn't mind seeing a whole redesign of that particular room.

About the top left Flak... I've never been a fan of placing weapons at deadends... it just adds to the frustration every time to respawn. The ramp could be a better spot for the 2 nearby healths, moving the weapon to the middle of the room.

BTW, have you played my CTF/JB conversion of Deck for UT2k4? I did a whole item placement redesign in that level. It's clearly oriented for a 2-base map, but it might still give you some ideas!
                http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=199413
                Not saying it is a wrong thing, it is what it is. Deck is deck because the main room, the iconic deck-ish bridges and 2 sides, and I fully appreciate this, like you said, it was exactly why it became popular among so many maps, because people prefer maps that they can easily learn and remember, just like Face, or DM17 of Quake3.
                So what I am trying here, is not to alter the nature of Deck, this is why I hesitated on the ideas of additional teleporters or warpzones. Level design wise, teleporter is kinda like a quick fix for an issue that you don't know how to fix otherwise, usually the issue will be like a dead end, or a place no one visit, which you need to avoid in the first place, not afterwards.

As for heat map, it is just to show the duel situation, not dm or tdm.

Last night I finished replacing the staticmesh layout with BSP, so I am going to test the ideas I have for that room, the overall intentions are:

- Keep the dodge from the redeemer to the front window, and it will be similar to UT99 version
                - The lift jump leads to the beams where you can reach the redeemer platform or do the dodge to the front window, I still want to keep the lift jump, so this room is not always about below, you don't have to go to the teleporter to reach the redeemer platform
                - Modify the boxes around the vest to make that area less busy and add a ramp dodging up
                - Probably replace one HP with something else like 3 vials. Along with that, I may also move the 4 vials next to the elevator room to somewhere close to the RL room.

Personally I don't like the top left flak at all, so yes that part will be changed, if not geometrically, it will be pickup placement. I will check the CTF deck, from the screenshots I have already seen some ideas which I think are in line with my intentions.
                Thank you very much, as usual!

Originally posted by darksonny View Post
                Hey Chong sorry for the delay mate, I was busy in realife, yeah that's mirror edge a great game, lol with this UE4 power the lighning is key to ( apart next to the scale, sizes etc...) to créate shadows and light that it will does involves the combat visión against player ( maybe would no have to be needed the brighskins or whatever the pro name it lol)
                Definitely, with this engine, I have very good faith of that we may end up with some very awesome lightened maps and probably no bright skin or artificial skin needed.

Comment

Proto 03 has been uploaded
                  Download Proto 03 from Wuala

The changes in this version:
                  [05242014]
                  - Replaced the layout staticmeshes with BSP
                  - Modified the lift room quite a bit to make it more like deck but with my style and the lift jumps
                  - Modified the flak-sniper corridor
                  - Modified the flak-vials curvy corridor
                  - Modified the flak area close to the SR and RL
                  - Modified the AMP ramp to make it more exposed, and added back jumppad
                  - Modified the bio-thighpad platform
                  - 1st pass of weapon location balance
                  - Tried to balance the health pack, health vials for the lift room and the RL corridor
                  - Some other changes

Basically, I will call this version is the first "playable" version of this map done within the new UT. I found myself quite like the new jump which literally can replace the double jump because of the auto climb. Some changes you see in proto 03 are done based on this jump.

I made 1st pass of weapon balancing, and some other pickup locations, let me know what do you think.
                  As for big changes like adding portals, I am putting them on hold.
                  As for map scale, I included DM-Deck16 BSP in the package. I exported it using the java tool and enlarged to 2.0x bigger, which is smaller than the original, according to this thread. But if you measure the size in the editor, you will see my version is even smaller.
                  Last edited by chonglee; 05-24-2014, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Just saw the last update, man... Congratulations. It is really good Has anyone from epic contacted you? Because this is so well thought, and getting more and more balanced, it's pro-work!
                    work: www.POLEGAR.pt

Comment

The last version is looking really awesome.

I'd only suggest pulling the AMP platform a bit more out, enough to reach the pillars, so it's more exposed and takes longer to reach.
                      DM-1on1-Deck8 | DM-1on1-BirdCage | DM-Complexo (GoldenEye Redesign) | DM-ShootThemMalcomsGood | DM-1on1-Toxicity

Designer at Candango Games. Check my Gamasutra Blog.

Comment

Man this is good!!!! Thats UT, good movement, good map scale, good changes to map, maybe too much change, but it really good, I think Epic should defently contact you. I wanna play dm on this map ASAP.

Comment

Thank you guys!
                          No contact yet. And I don't think they need to. Epic is going to find a way to organize the community driven content in a way that everyone can easily contribute, download, review and comment. All driven by the community.

@luauDesign,

Yes I will do it. And I am not satisfied with the whole AMP platform yet.

Comment

This is coming along very nicely ChongLee! Could this be THE Deck?.....
                            Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Dude, for what I can see, I think it could be a good candidate to be the next Official Deck map.

Lots of improvement but keeping in mind the "Deck Spirit", eg
                              • Vials in the main goo
                              • More space near the lift
                              • An open map near the second flack spawn
                              • etc..

Congrats ! And don't stop posting your follow-up like this

I wish I could test the movement but have to subscribe to access UT repository. Do you know if it's possible to have the latest ut package ? (not source, only compiled package) in some way, testers like me can contribute without paying 20$/months.

Regards !

Comment

This is looking more and more phenomenal every time I come back and see it, **** good job man that lighting is awesome in the video on the front page.

Comment

Working...
                                X