No announcement yet.

[Map][Remake][WIP] DM-Deck [New Version 20180305]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chonglee this map is amazing. It looks brilliant! I hope Epic use it.

What would be AWESOME is if before playing this level it could dynamically switch between day and night. It would be so good to see light gleaming through the ceiling as it currently does during the day, but it would be even better to see Deck lit up bright during the night (e.g. in the hallways you could potentially put fluorescent lights along the centre and a continuous strip of green lighting in the top cornices). Just food for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by globule View Post
      And don't stop posting your follow-up like this
      I wish I could test the movement but have to subscribe to access UT repository. Do you know if it's possible to have the latest ut package ? (not source, only compiled package) in some way, testers like me can contribute without paying 20$/months.
      I will keep posting updates with detailed information.
      I tried the package building, it is not working right now, I suppose Epic doesn't want the public to play the package before they feel it is ready + the content distribution system is also ready. Maybe that would be when the playable core game is done, which could take at least another few more weeks.
      Yes it would be very helpful if all the players can join in and do the tests, I can't show you everything in the video, especially the movement has to be tested by playing it. So be patient, and also remember this map is still in an early phase where the layout isn't and won't be finalized very soon, so you won't really miss something.

Originally posted by vackillers View Post
      This is looking more and more phenomenal every time I come back and see it, **** good job man that lighting is awesome in the video on the front page.
      Man, that lighting is just placeholder stuff to make sure the map is bright enough. Don't take it too seriously. It will be changed. I guess very soon I will start to think about the visual part and collect reference. Give me your suggestions about lighting if you want, opinions are always welcome!

Originally posted by M^uL View Post
      This is coming along very nicely ChongLee! Could this be THE Deck?.....
      Thanks M^uL, I think there won't be The Deck, maybe Epic will let the community to contribute so they can focus on the core game and some new maps, but who knows, maybe they have a Deck in plan. My version is simply not the traditional Deck any more (but it is easy to remove the changes and get it back to the original), so there could still be a standard Deck16.
      [WIP]: DM-Deck(Remake) | DM-DeepBlue | DM-Peak(Remake)

My stuff: @ Youtube | @ Small site | @ My blog

Comment

Originally posted by chonglee View Post
        I

Thanks M^uL, I think there won't be The Deck, maybe Epic will let the community to contribute so they can focus on the core game and some new maps,
        Yeah I think you're right - they will probably contribute a few new reference maps for each gametype.
        Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

please add the jumppad to the low area of the map as it is in the 2k4 version. For FFA/TDM it just add such a good flow for the map. Maybe for 1v1 its better to have the boots, becouse its one more item to time but other than that i prefer the 2k4 version of the map.

Comment

Chonglee,

Fantastic map design and update to Deck! I wish I could test play it with UE4, but I'm afraid my 7 yr old laptop will crash and never recover if I tried.
            I enjoyed the video you made of the alpha. Are the movements based on Epic's base model? Looking forward to seeing this level in the new UT!

Comment

Originally posted by luauDesign View Post
              [shortened to avoid excessive lenght of post]
              While I like the idea you expressed, I would like to stress that DM maps need safe spawning points where you have some cover/less action so you can equip yourself.
              I would suggest to make those closed at certain times (with metal doors) and open up at others. That would make for a dynamic gameplay, eventually nasty traps and more action at certain times. I believe, it could be worth a try that way, but I don't suggest making the portals accessible all of the time.
              S l y .

Comment

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
                While I like the idea you expressed, I would like to stress that DM maps need safe spawning points where you have some cover/less action so you can equip yourself.
                I would suggest to make those closed at certain times (with metal doors) and open up at others. That would make for a dynamic gameplay, eventually nasty traps and more action at certain times. I believe, it could be worth a try that way, but I don't suggest making the portals accessible all of the time.
                Good that you mentioned, good spawn points are a must to make a map balanced also. But it still requires this new UT to come with a revamped spawn system that actually works.

I too want to see that at least being tried. If the game/engine allows warpzone and nobody else tries it before I get an upgraded PC I'll make this and some variations myself.
                DM-1on1-Deck8 | DM-1on1-BirdCage | DM-Complexo (GoldenEye Redesign) | DM-ShootThemMalcomsGood | DM-1on1-Toxicity

Designer at Candango Games. Check my Gamasutra Blog.

Comment

Originally posted by peterk View Post
                  please add the jumppad to the low area of the map as it is in the 2k4 version. For FFA/TDM it just add such a good flow for the map. Maybe for 1v1 its better to have the boots, becouse its one more item to time but other than that i prefer the 2k4 version of the map.

I will try if it can be added, not sure for the moment. But I agree there could be something to think about for the big pool area.

Originally posted by UTonPC View Post
                  Chonglee,

Fantastic map design and update to Deck! I wish I could test play it with UE4, but I'm afraid my 7 yr old laptop will crash and never recover if I tried.
                  I enjoyed the video you made of the alpha. Are the movements based on Epic's base model? Looking forward to seeing this level in the new UT!

I wish you can run and play this map too, it is really different between watching a video and playing it. The map is currently developed right based on the new UT, which means I grab the project from GitHub and do my map work on it. So the movement you see in my video (not the early ones) is what Epic currently developing buy using blueprints, for now, there are a few different blueprints, mostly I just use the default one of the daily version when record the videos.

Comment

Made a video to compare the size with other decks:

Using time to compare the size, is pretty relative, because between different generations, the movement speed could be quite different, for now at least I know for sure i don't need to reduce the size of this map. Will see if I need to enlarge a bit base on the final version of the movement system.
                    Last edited by chonglee; 06-01-2014, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Hmm thats a big difference.
                      It might change a little when they decide on the movement i guess.

The map looks good so far tho

Comment

Made some videos on the movement in this map, based on 05-30 build.

The first one is around the SR area on the teleporter side:
                        http://youtu.be/ACM-8xGyVhA

Around the lift room:
                        http://youtu.be/yUlYPgEumss

Stairs bouncing:
                        http://youtu.be/mgOSihSawgo

Multi dodge movment:

----------------------

Proto 4 of this map has been uploaded:
                        https://www.wuala.com/chongleebnw/Pu..._06022014.zip/

A simple list of what have been done in this weekend, more details will be added later:
                        - Another test to see if the map scale is still big
                        - Micro layout modification to represent some level art intentions
                        - 1st pass of basic lighting, a very first rough pass
                        - Start to use the official weapon bases
                        - Some changes to refine the gameplay element
                        - Some playerstarts roughly added
                        Last edited by chonglee; 06-03-2014, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Start from today, I will try to release new versions more frequently, probably twice per week, not to speed up the iteration (at this point, it is not necessary to speed up map iteration because the core system has not been mature yet), just so you don't have to wait for one week to see updates.

I just uploaded today's version:
                          Download from Wuala

The main changes are replacing the placeholder health pickups and the amp with the official ones. Also I tried the slippery physics material thing to make the slope dodge, but for now it doesn't really work.
                          The latest screenshots have been uploaded.

Check the original post.

------------------------
                          Updated on 20140610:
                          - The armors are now real pickups instead of placeholders
                          - Tuned some of the pickup locations
                          - More playerstarts added, 1st pass is done
                          - A few blocking volumes to smooth collisions

------------------------
                          [20140615]
                          - Layout changes for both visual and gameplay
                          - Reverted some changes so it gets back some of the original Deck feelings, I am still thinking on it.
                          Last edited by chonglee; 06-15-2014, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Just watched the vid in the OP, I must say, Lee, this version will be a blast !!!

Keep up the good work
                            Stevie's corner
                            Maps,DM-Chroma, DM-Dakylian, DM-Elik, DM-Akar, DM-Aryth, DM-Aly, CTF-Infiltrate, DM-Delta
                            Links, UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Thank you stevelois for the all time support! I will try not to disappoint Deck lovers.

Comment

Well done chonglee!! What an amazing re-make. The layout is looking great. This is what I believe UT4 should be all about. You have made the map recognizable as Deck and added new elements. I would adapt this philosophy to every aspect of the new UT, gameplay, movement, weapons, environment, EVERYTHING. I'm sure its not that simple but hey, I just play the games.

Comment

Working...
                                X