• Show
Clear All

very good map!!

Comment

Originally posted by chonglee View Post
      The Latest Version:

Download:
      >>>>Download this map from Wuala<<<<
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changelog:
      [20140615]
      - Layout changes for both visual and gameplay
      - Reverted some changes so it gets back some of the original Deck feelings, I am still thinking on it.

Latest Screenshots
      Need to update screenshots!

Videos

Map Name (code name for now):
      Deck-CLee

Map Description:
      Deck remake

Concept and Design Intention:
      * Current plan, could be changed later *
      • The current basic layout is a hybrid of UT99 version and UT3 version, with newly added navigation opportunities
      • The overall scale is close to UT3 (based on OT metrics), try to find a balance for dodge-only and dodging jump gameplay
      • Layout connectivity be the focus for new ideas
      • Different approach from what I did 10 years ago in TheDeck2004
      • Visually one key element is the big slope(roof) on the lower side which creates an overall slanting shape
      • The map will be located next to a dam(or a natural waterfall) which is facing the city in the distance

* A draft I did a few days ago, the intention in it is not up to date, so just for fun *

References:
      To be prepared

Previous changes:
      [20140610]
      - The armors are now real pickups instead of placeholders
      - Tuned some of the pickup locations
      - More playerstarts added, 1st pass is done
      - A few blocking volumes to smooth collisions
      [20140604]
      - Replaced the placeholder health pickups with real ones
      - Replaced the placeholder double damage with a real one
      - Replaced the placeholder jumppad with a real one
      [06022014]
      - Another test to see if the map scale is still big
      - Micro layout modification to represent some level art intentions
      - 1st pass of basic lighting, a very first rough pass
      - Start to use the official weapon bases
      - Some changes to refine the gameplay element
      - Some playerstarts roughly added
      If you wanna make a competitive version of deck, I suggest you emulate this version:

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Dr.ToxicVenom: "How bout we duel, and let our skill decide who's right and who's wrong? I'm in Unreal Carnage [Dallas] Right now. Come join."
      MonsOlympus: "How about you work your way up the ranks first then we'll talk LAN, until then. Have fun trying to find people to play against you and your crappy attitude, good night!"
      Dr.ToxicVenom: "DAAAAAAMN! That dodge was almost as good as my multi-dodge. Nice!"

Comment

Looks neat. I'm not a UT pro, but as a fellow level designer i think that it looks like interesting evolution of original Deck. For me it looks better, but as i said - i'm not pro UT player, so they might think otherwise for some unknown to me reason
        Unofficial Enforcer Model
        Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

Originally posted by PvtPublic View Post
          Well done chonglee!! What an amazing re-make. The layout is looking great. This is what I believe UT4 should be all about. You have made the map recognizable as Deck and added new elements. I would adapt this philosophy to every aspect of the new UT, gameplay, movement, weapons, environment, EVERYTHING. I'm sure its not that simple but hey, I just play the games.
          I am glad you like it!

Originally posted by skilleZ View Post
          very good map!!
          Thank you!

Originally posted by Dr.ToxicVenom View Post
          If you wanna make a competitive version of deck, I suggest you emulate this version:

Hmm, so it is basically UT3 deck with some optimization. I can do that, but let me finish my version first and then this can be done with the same assets.

Originally posted by Fartuess View Post
          Looks neat. I'm not a UT pro, but as a fellow level designer i think that it looks like interesting evolution of original Deck. For me it looks better, but as i said - i'm not pro UT player, so they might think otherwise for some unknown to me reason
          Thanks, I am not a pro too. For me, the answer is quite simple, it's been 15 years and Deck could use a few major differences.
          [WIP]: DM-Deck(Remake) | DM-DeepBlue | DM-Peak(Remake)

My stuff: @ Youtube | @ Small site | @ My blog

Comment

I like this design a lot. It's got a good chance to be the best Deck yet … and that's saying something

Comment

Amazing. Definitely seems smaller to me than I remember but what you move around makes it look incredibly fun.

Comment

Feedback

So I got a chance to have a look at this. My thoughts
                Click image for larger version

Name:	belowDam.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	329400
                Firstly, I LOVE the dam idea. I think it will be a wonderful backdrop to this level.
                Critique: It appears like the bottom is a water layer. If that is the case I would recommend reducing the amount of water there. The most water should be above the dam to really sell the wonderful image you have created. I can't wait to see what you do with this. I've highlighted in blue an approximate with that I think would be most believable.

Name:	pretty.jpg
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	329402
                There is just something about entering the deck from this area that really appeals to me. I'd love the udamage to really stand out when It's active. It really adds a nice new focal point to the map and encourages players back to the center of the map.

Name:	option.jpg
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	329401
                A thought for the aforementioned standing out would be some form of lighting to activate while the udamage is present. Depending on the final lighting, this may not be needed but just a thought

Those are my thoughts thus far.

Oh and it feels odd to me that the rocket launcher was moved

keep it up looking forward to next update
                Last edited by bcogan; 07-01-2014, 05:27 PM. Reason: Grammar
                | a.k.a: Barballs | pathnode.com | See ya star side!

Comment

Good work.Click image for larger version

Name:	happy1.gif
Views:	2
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	329415
                  We trust in new UT!
                  Movie "Unrealer"

Comment

I like that it's located next to a dam. Just another industrial facility dumping toxic waste into a river somewhere, hehe.

Comment

Great layout, really. Made one of the most overrated maps to an actual decent map. ^^

Comment

Originally posted by chonglee View Post
                        For me, the answer is quite simple, it's been 15 years and Deck could use a few major differences.

Honestly, I don't think a map like Deck needs major, if any modifications (aside from visuals, and minor gameplay tweaks to fit best with the new UT, of course). But anyway, we'll probably have several versions of that map by different authors, so regardless I'll be waiting for this one with much interest!

Comment

Originally posted by Firmament View Post
                          Honestly, I don't think a map like Deck needs major, if any modifications (aside from visuals, and minor gameplay tweaks to fit best with the new UT, of course). But anyway, we'll probably have several versions of that map by different authors, so regardless I'll be waiting for this one with much interest!
                          Really?

Its one of the most boring "who is camping the sniper area more wins the game" type in TDM and DM. I think this map MUST be improved.

Comment

I added some screenshots from the latest version I am doing, in the thread original post. It is not done yet but hopefully tomorrow I can upload it.

Originally posted by Veggie_D View Post
                            I like this design a lot. It's got a good chance to be the best Deck yet … and that's saying something
                            Thanks, really happy you like it!

Originally posted by SoulCtrl View Post
                            Amazing. Definitely seems smaller to me than I remember but what you move around makes it look incredibly fun.
                            Yes, this weekend I spent a lot of time to make the map longer, from the elevator room to the sniper platform, and tuned the layout to get back a bit of space.
                            I am still trying to refine the size so that it has the comfortable scale.

Originally posted by k117 View Post
                            Good work.[ATTACH=CONFIG]5738[/ATTACH]
                            Thanks!

Originally posted by bcogan View Post
                            I LOVE the dam idea. I think it will be a wonderful backdrop to this level.
                            Critique: It appears like the bottom is a water layer. If that is the case I would recommend reducing the amount of water there. The most water should be above the dam to really sell the wonderful image you have created. I can't wait to see what you do with this. I've highlighted in blue an approximate with that I think would be most believable.

There is just something about entering the deck from this area that really appeals to me. I'd love the udamage to really stand out when It's active. It really adds a nice new focal point to the map and encourages players back to the center of the map.

A thought for the aforementioned standing out would be some form of lighting to activate while the udamage is present. Depending on the final lighting, this may not be needed but just a thought
                            Those are my thoughts thus far.
                            Oh and it feels odd to me that the rocket launcher was moved
                            keep it up looking forward to next update
                            Hey bcogan, thank you very much for these in-editor feedback.
                            1) The water area won't be covering the whole bottom, actually in the latest version I am doing some closer background terrain stuff to prevent you see directly the distant vista, because I feel vista is less intimate and can be easily empty, although the silhouette can be attractive but it always feels flat.
                            2) The amp light can be added but I am waiting to see if the pickup base can support something similar directly. There are discussions on this topic.

Originally posted by bad_infinite View Post
                            I like that it's located next to a dam. Just another industrial facility dumping toxic waste into a river somewhere, hehe.
                            I didn't really think of that, just feel dam is cool, water is needed, and maybe it can be called Dam 16.

Originally posted by raeg View Post
                            Great layout, really. Made one of the most overrated maps to an actual decent map. ^^
                            Thanks! Can't say overrated, just somehow people prefer this kind of map than cramped, complicated maps.

Originally posted by Firmament View Post
                            I actually agree with you somewhat, but on the other hand, I just can't resist to do something different.
                            Last edited by chonglee; 07-06-2014, 12:51 PM.
                            [WIP]: DM-Deck(Remake) | DM-DeepBlue | DM-Peak(Remake)

My stuff: @ Youtube | @ Small site | @ My blog

Comment

I still remember the remake of BloodRun you made for UT2kx MoonFlyer so I know this is going to be awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by peterk View Post
                                Really?

Its one of the most boring "who is camping the sniper area more wins the game" type in TDM and DM. I think this map MUST be improved.
                                If you ever played deck16 that is not the case. No one can really win in the sniping area, if you want to win you would camp the hallway because that is where most of the action is happening.
                                History: UT99 (2003 - 2007; 2009 - Now) UT2k4: (2005-2007), UT3 (2008-2009)
                                UT Nicknames: Shotman, HeatWave, MY_KID
                                UT Clan: -={SDA}=- (Sniping Death Angles) and zsu (Zark Snipers United)
                                UT Main Menu Design

Comment

Working...
                                X