[Map][Remake][WIP] DM-Deck [New Version 20180305]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SDAHeatWave View Post
    If you ever played deck16 that is not the case. No one can really win in the sniping area, if you want to win you would camp the hallway because that is where most of the action is happening.
    I did play all versions, UT, 2k4, UT3 version aswell. Clanbase cups, TDM pickup games aswell.

Comment

Didn't jump to UE4 yet but I was looking your dev since the beginning and the least I can say is "WOW" Lee, the progress is so **** nice !!! I love your version of the map
      Stevie's corner
      Maps,DM-Chroma, DM-Dakylian, DM-Elik, DM-Akar, DM-Aryth, DM-Aly, CTF-Infiltrate, DM-Delta
      Links, UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Originally posted by cUnNiNg_StUnTs View Post
        I still remember the remake of BloodRun you made for UT2kx MoonFlyer so I know this is going to be awesome!
        Hey cUnNiNg_StUnTs, it's been a long time! How do you do?

BloodRun remake is almost 10 years ago, which reminds me of how old the original Painkiller is... Because that remake was inspired by that game.
        Man now I hope PCF can get back Painkiller brand and make a new one with UE4.

Originally posted by Stevelois View Post
        Didn't jump to UE4 yet but I was looking your dev since the beginning and the least I can say is "WOW" Lee, the progress is so **** nice !!! I love your version of the map

Thanks! You are always so supportive! I hope very soon there will be a free UED for this UT and everyone can have fun with it.
        [WIP]: DM-Deck(Remake) | DM-DeepBlue | DM-Peak(Remake)

My stuff: @ Youtube | @ Small site | @ My blog

Comment

Uploaded version 20140707. Check the thread starter for the download link.
          I made the map longer, from the lift room to the sniper, so it gets back more the "along-the-main-room" feeling. The added length is 4m, so it is not obvious, but you will feel the distance is more comfortable. Also I realized that the pillars in the corridors are not really useful and reduced the deck feeling so I tuned a bit.
          There is one jumppad added in the flak corridor, but, that jumppad doesn't allow you to go directly to the sniper-bio platform in the main room. The entrance is blocked but you can see through. The instagib rifle is just a redeemer placeholder, it will be replaced when redeemer is back.
          The ceilings of the main room are also lifted so it feels more upward and less cramped which means more comfortable.
          I started to do more visual stuff. For the buildings I think mixing facility with traditional silhouette is kinda cool. But this is still work in progress.
          As for lighting, I changed again, now it is overcast. I like the cold feeling it gives but this is still early prototype so everything could be changed. I am going to look for visual references.

About the new video,
          I didn't use the recent official player movement BP, because I don't like any one of them, instead, I used the one made by TotesAmaze.

Oh, also I started to record video at 60fps as I heard of youtube decided to support high framerate.
          Last edited by chonglee; 07-08-2014, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Is this done in additive bsp or subtractive?

Are the outdoor areas accessible at all or just for aesthetics?

Looking really good
            My UT2004 Maps

Comment

Originally posted by Gleedo View Post

Looking really good
              Additive.

Aesthetics.

Indeed it is. It's Moon after all
              | a.k.a: Barballs | pathnode.com | See ya star side!

Comment

Originally posted by Gleedo View Post

Looking really good
                Originally posted by bcogan View Post
                Additive.

Aesthetics.

Indeed it is. It's Moon after all
                Yes, mostly additive brushes, for outdoor background, some placeholder staticmeshes. And they are only background and vista.
                Thank you guys!

Comment

During a playtest today, I found an area near the slime/bio rifle towards the helmet pickup that I could sit in and wasn't visible.

My opinion of the map is that it's too cluttered, there's too many things in the way of you when you're shooting at another player, however we've only played this map once so far - just thought I'd report the bug while I remember it.

Last edited by raxxy; 07-12-2014, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by raxxy View Post
                    During a playtest today, I found an area near the slime/bio rifle towards the helmet pickup that I could sit in and wasn't visible.

My opinion of the map is that it's too cluttered, there's too many things in the way of you when you're shooting at another player, however we've only played this map once so far - just thought I'd report the bug while I remember it.
                    Thanks!
                    The rocks are placeholder rough meshes with no collision, so you can go inside and be hidden. For that I am going to do a blocking volume pass to fix all these issues.

As for cluttered, mostly they are LOS occlusions like pillars or walls, because I felt the original deck is too hitscan friendly, but now I think maybe the occlusion is too much for some areas. Started from last week, I have been working on this, trying to simplify a bit. In the next version, you will see the changes.

Comment

The latest version 20140721 is available.

These 2 weeks I put most of my effort on the rescale of the map. Now the map is longer, higher, wider, and deeper, not very dramatic but i feel it is obviously more comfortable than before.
                      Let me know what do you think about the new scale.
                      It is not over yet. I will keep trying to improve the layout so please give me feedback.

To answer tigerclaw's feedback in another thread:
                      Originally posted by tigerclaw View Post
                      Deck - a lot of fun to play, most feedback is that it's too cluttered, i'd recommend removing the pillars in mid and trimming down some of the wall segments blocking off the corridors

Deck is a lot of fun but it's also very small, there isn't a lot of room to move - having a smaller deck isn't a bad thing in itself but it does limit your options a bit, you notice the size issues moving around the outer ring of corridors and their connecting rooms, it feels good to move around mid but a single dodge does take you very far(upto 2/3 accross mid) so it's still very cramped for prolonged combat
                      Hey tigerclaw, thanks for the feedback, and actually i start to feel the same recently. It is a little bit strange because i remember clearly months ago, the scale felt about right, smaller than the original version, but not tight. But with the current player character/movement, it does feel uncomfortable sometimes. So these weeks, beside super busy day job, i tried to have one or 2 hours to tune the layout everyday. I did a few different versions and compared them.

Check the screenshots in the initial post to see the changes. I think currently the scale is getting better. But the layout is not final yet. Sometimes scale is something you can't rush for it. Sometimes after a few days you come back to check, you will find issues that you ignored before.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Update:
                      I am still testing and trying different scales. More and more I feel this map needs to be enlarged more.
                      Last edited by chonglee; 07-25-2014, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Version 20140806 uploaded.

Another two weeks, and the main change in this version is basically the size is increased again. Now it is mostly the same as DeckTest. And because of the new scale, some layout modifications are needed, most of them are vertical to ensure the heights are good for jumpboots.

I was struggling with the size change these 2 weeks because previously I used 10cm grid for BSP blockout, but to resize it more precisely I had to convert it on the 5cm grid which was really annoying. I had to modify every single brush. A good lesson for me!

Anyway, after this, I feel it could be the final scale for this map. Let me know if you still have opinions on it.
                        Next, I am going to do the micro layout change and start the graphic process.

A quick recording to show the new scale.

Comment

Just awesome!
                          DM-1on1-Deck8 | DM-1on1-BirdCage | DM-Complexo (GoldenEye Redesign) | DM-ShootThemMalcomsGood | DM-1on1-Toxicity

Designer at Candango Games. Check my Gamasutra Blog.

Comment

Just some feedback from the video:
                            :38 sec those vials that lead inside the box looks a little weird. Are you going to put something inside the box?
                            The beam where the shield belt is located should be a little bit more narrow.
                            History: UT99 (2003 - 2007; 2009 - Now) UT2k4: (2005-2007), UT3 (2008-2009)
                            UT Nicknames: Shotman, HeatWave, MY_KID
                            UT Clan: -={SDA}=- (Sniping Death Angles) and zsu (Zark Snipers United)
                            UT Main Menu Design

Comment

Originally posted by chonglee View Post
                              Version 20140806 uploaded.

Another two weeks, and the main change in this version is basically the size is increased again. Now it is mostly the same as DeckTest. And because of the new scale, some layout modifications are needed, most of them are vertical to ensure the heights are good for jumpboots.

I was struggling with the size change these 2 weeks because previously I used 10cm grid for BSP blockout, but to resize it more precisely I had to convert it on the 5cm grid which was really annoying. I had to modify every single brush. A good lesson for me!

Anyway, after this, I feel it could be the final scale for this map. Let me know if you still have opinions on it.
                              Next, I am going to do the micro layout change and start the graphic process.

A quick recording to show the new scale.
                              What can I sat a part that the level flow superbly !

It is a tedious job to rescale all this level but the end result is just a huge wow

I won't be surprise it will be include in the game when it come official !!!

Excellent work
                              Stevie's corner
                              Maps,DM-Chroma, DM-Dakylian, DM-Elik, DM-Akar, DM-Aryth, DM-Aly, CTF-Infiltrate, DM-Delta
                              Links, UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Looks great Chonglee

Comment

Working...
                                X