• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Map][Remake][WIP] DM-Deck [New Version 20180305]

The Latest Version:

Download The Pak from One of The Links:
    >>> UTCC <<<
    I agree that this content constitutes a Submission under the Unreal Engine EULA ( https://www.unrealengine.com/eula ).

Map Name (still code name):
    Deck8

Changes:
    [20180305]
    - Redo the whole lighting (new direction)
    - Normal maps for half of the assets (still WIP)
    - Micro layout adjustments

Screenshots

Click image for larger version  Name:	HighresScreenshot00002.jpg Views:	1 Size:	289.1 KB ID:	397592
    Click image for larger version  Name:	HighresScreenshot00003.jpg Views:	1 Size:	254.8 KB ID:	397593
    Click image for larger version  Name:	HighresScreenshot00004.jpg Views:	1 Size:	209.4 KB ID:	397594Click image for larger version  Name:	HighresScreenshot00005.jpg Views:	1 Size:	232.0 KB ID:	397595
    Click image for larger version  Name:	HighresScreenshot00006.jpg Views:	1 Size:	179.5 KB ID:	397596
    Click image for larger version  Name:	HighresScreenshot00009.jpg Views:	1 Size:	161.2 KB ID:	397597Click image for larger version  Name:	HighresScreenshot00011.jpg Views:	1 Size:	243.1 KB ID:	397598
    Click image for larger version  Name:	HighresScreenshot00013.jpg Views:	1 Size:	179.5 KB ID:	397599

Videos
    No video for the latest version yet.

Map Description:
    Still WIP.

Previous changes:
    [20170701]
    - Background terraforming updated (worldmachine, materials, still WIP)
    - Recreated the low-poly meshes of some assets
    - Some small tweaking

[20170521]
    - Background terraforming updated (still WIP)
    - Animated vista railway vehicle and sound
    - Animated light object moving along the vents/tubes
    - Generic objective points added to support Domination mode
    - Line-up objects added for intro, in both FFA and Team modes
    - Some other visual updates

[20170501]
    - Visual updates on the glass objects
    - Sky and env tweaks
    - Several other mesh updates
    - Fixed a couple collision issues

[20170410]
    - Visual updates of the vista space sites, the railway
    - Visual updates of the pool, and the nuclear generator

[20170127]
    - Updated several visual meshes
    - Improved the lighting quality for several areas
    - Fixed the killzone issue
    [20161112]
    - The green goo is replaced with the red radioactive material, so it is now a nuclear facility (sort of).
    - Added the portals (no gameplay) as the exotic elements
    - Tweaked the playerstart, the collision, and the navmesh
    [20161030]
    - Replaced the Bio on the top with the GL
    - Fixed a playerstart issue
    - Fixed several navmesh issues
    - Made the wall dodge from the main bridge to the LG much easier
    - Collision tweaks
    [20161024]
    - Mesh shapes are almost there.
    - Collision pass
    - The 1st lighting pass
    - Background, vista
    - Layout tweaking, added a vent tunnel
    - Lots of other things here and there, check the roadmap to see basically where it is on the timeline
    [20150930]
    - Placeholder materials
    - Lighting updated to test some ideas
    - Added the helmet
    - Fixed a few collision issues that could be exploited
    - Removed the bars above the lifts
    - Added railing in the rl room
    - Added a pipe as an alternative path next to the ramp above the lift room
    - Some other small modifications
    [20150920]
    - Planned to create two versions, "Deck8" is close to the traditional Deck, "Deck-CLee" is the one i have been making since the beginning.
    - Deck8 is just a convenient name. I haven't decided if this is it.
    - Some major modification based on Deck-CLee, like the ramp above the RL room is gone, the U damage is back to what it traditionally was, etc.
    - BSP is 99.9% replaced with static meshes. The meshes are still rough, placeholder quality, with grey texture.
    [20150304]
    - New placeholder textures, materials to visualize the basic intentions of how the map will look like, roughly
    - Updated the lighting for the whole map
    - Some small layout modifications, width and height
    [20150225]
    - Music added
    - Audio volumes added, still WIP
    - Energy shield (visual+ambient sound) for the map bound
    - Vista city placeholder
    - Background terrain and river (the lake is gone)
    - Playerstarts tuned
    - Ammo reduced and relocated
    - Slime volume modified
    - The poolside walkways are narrower
    - The belt beam is slightly narrower
    - Udamage platform modified
    [20150215]
    - Removed the additional teleporter
    - Layout tweaks
    [20150104]
    *Check this post*
    - Fixed the navmesh issue to support bot
    - The flak corridor teleporter is removed
    - Relocate a few weapons
    - Added another teleporter around the original one
    [20141207]
    - Redeemer is gone.
    - Changed the mid room and added a teleporter there
    - Layout modifications prevent exploiting outside
    - Relocated the inventory bases
    - Relocated the playerstarts
    - Fixed a few deadends
    - Blocking volumes for some collision issues
    - Placeholder materials used
    - Basic navmesh (still buggy)
    [20140806]
    - Resized the scale to basically the same size of DeckTest
    - Layout tuning according to the enlarged scale
    Last edited by chonglee; 03-05-2018, 09:18 PM.
    [WIP]: DM-Deck(Remake) | DM-DeepBlue | DM-Peak(Remake)

My stuff: @ Youtube | @ Small site | @ My blog

OMG :Q___ amazing job

Comment

Seems like cool adaptations for a FFA/TDM version of the map but kinda too big for duel. I'm still glad to see someone already tackling the most iconic map of the franchise. Keep us updated, good work.

Comment

I like most of the changes except the jump from the SR elevators to the Sniper Platform. The strongest side of the map is the SR pit and the whole strategy is about controlling that side. Making it more versatile could just unbalanced things further.

The idea of fighting that pit from above is very interesting though. But even that's an easy Shock Combo target I'm sure you'd want to be at against a better stacked player anyway.
        DM-1on1-Deck8 | DM-1on1-BirdCage | DM-Complexo (GoldenEye Redesign) | DM-ShootThemMalcomsGood | DM-1on1-Toxicity

Designer at Candango Games. Check my Gamasutra Blog.

Comment

Wow, that was fast.

Comment

Looks awesome! good job

Comment

I never liked how later versions of Deck 16 always loop the upper hallway back around to the crates/amp. It takes the risk out of going for that Flak.
              also known as Humphro

Comment

I'm sorry but this is just terrible :/ the changes you made (the lift jump to top and the navigation where amp is) are just bad. Instead of wasting your time creating another deck 16 clone (slightly altered) which there will no doubt be many of... why dont you do something productive and create your own map.

Comment

Nemmy, in case you haven't noticed the map was originally designed for 'Open Tournament' which has been discontinued due to Epics UT announcement.
                  Obviously it's correct that he used his base model for the upcoming UT instead of laying his work to waste, in which he put time and efforts, saying that's not productive is not fair at all.
                  It's not that he just made it in the last couple of days.
                  Good job Chong for your great work

Comment

Interesting new routes, would love to test the gameplay to find out how they hold up in gameplay scenarios. The route from the lift jump to the upper platform is very interesting in particular but might open up the navigational advantage of experienced players (read: Those with a grasp of the movement and a knowledge of the map) too much in comparison to new players. But that would have to be tested. Along the same road but more drastic (and imho more problematic) I find the "windows" from the top platform along the longer side of the main hall down to the hallway with the crates.
                    Deck always had the characteristic of allowing players to evade enemies for several seconds. The routes were limited and one could easily be trapped and intercepted, but if in need it was possible to evade the line of sight at least for some tens of seconds. I see no such opportunity in your version of the map as a broken line of sight can much quicker be regained. For a map to work in a death match with more than two players there have to be spots with at most two angles of attack, otherwise you are constantly subject to potentially frustrating situations of getting killed by someone not on your radar. This is not to say that such situations should not be possible, but they should be limited to a few spots in the map where you can chose to expose yourself for the benefit of some item of interest.

Also with as many connections between the rooms the gameplay will probably be much more hectic. I appreciate that, but it changes the context of four parts of the map that possibly only work with slower gameplay: The ramps. Three of them in the main room and one above the small goo pit near the elevators. These ramps are harder to navigate than horizontal ground and no one would walk them upwards if they didn't have to. In UT99 and UT2k4 this was the big catch and part of the balancing of the map as you absolutely had to climb these ramps in order to get to important points. In your version of the map there are alternative ways that are less exposed and much quicker (the lift jump for example). This essentially makes the two steep ramps in the main hall useless. The middle ramp still makes sense but is a more dangerous part now than it was before. The small ramp above the goo pit is less exposed but still out of balance with the more hectic style that your map seems to favor. I would try to replace it with a jump pad (or two successive jump pads for a less predictable air movement).
                    Of cause all this is just theory, it might work better than I expect. But if you find that the two steep ramps in the main hall are barely ever used you might want to re-think the other access paths to the high ground.

Looking forward to more updates.

Comment

Loved the new navigation route from flak cannon to sniper nest.
                      Also liked the opportunity to actually look outside: I know it's just a wip but having an "open" Deck might be interesting, I'd keep the flak area transparent to the outside, not really sure about the rocket area.
                      * * * BREAK THE GLASS IN CASE OF UNREAL TOURNAMENT * * *
                      Glass broken May, 2014.

uWarfare (click it, it's worth a look)
                      I live my life 82 seconds at a time.

Comment

Amazing !
                        But the elevator near the Udamage ... shame. I think you should remove this elevator, it's too easy.

Comment

Originally posted by InoxX View Post
                          Amazing !
                          But the elevator near the Udamage ... shame. I think you should remove this elevator, it's too easy.
                          Inoxx? The original and only one?
                          http://i.imgur.com/6dJ1rdc.jpg

Comment

Oo Amazing!!!

Comment

Originally posted by khxmz View Post
                              Seems like cool adaptations for a FFA/TDM version of the map but kinda too big for duel. I'm still glad to see someone already tackling the most iconic map of the franchise. Keep us updated, good work.
                              My target is to make the scale close to UT3 version, UT99 version is actually bigger, but to make the right scale, I need to wait to see what the real game will be like. I mean, the metrics, the dodge distance, jump height, these things. When we can touch the playable game, I will try to figure out the scale that feels right. And I am pretty sure that requires a lot of feedback from playtest.

Originally posted by luauDesign View Post
                              I like most of the changes except the jump from the SR elevators to the Sniper Platform. The strongest side of the map is the SR pit and the whole strategy is about controlling that side. Making it more versatile could just unbalanced things further.
                              The idea of fighting that pit from above is very interesting though. But even that's an easy Shock Combo target I'm sure you'd want to be at against a better stacked player anyway.
                              I agree, actually I have been thinking about this issue for a few days. That kinda made me to move the double damage to the roof, and close to the sniper platform, I opened up a window where you can oversee the vials of the flak tunnel, on the thigh pad area.
                              And I increased the height of the box next to the SR so no way to jump to it by double jump, nor wall dodging jump (in OT), if you want to jump there, you need to go to the bridge, which is exposed to the sniper platform.

Thank you for pointing out this.

Originally posted by Diode View Post
                              I never liked how later versions of Deck 16 always loop the upper hallway back around to the crates/amp. It takes the risk out of going for that Flak.
                              I don't like that too, that's why I move the amp to the roof. Not sure if it is really a good idea though.

Originally posted by Nemmy View Post
                              I'm sorry but this is just terrible :/ the changes you made (the lift jump to top and the navigation where amp is) are just bad. Instead of wasting your time creating another deck 16 clone (slightly altered) which there will no doubt be many of... why dont you do something productive and create your own map.

Thanks for your feedback, this is just a prototype for the layout.
                              And, don't know if you noticed, I also made a UT2K4 version 10 years ago, in which there were some big changes which I believe made that map one of the most different Deck back at that time.

But doing remake is struggling, one side you don't want to change the layout too much because many players they just want the original thing, and gameplay wise if the original one is working, no point to fix it. But on the other side, as a mapper, I can tell you it is not interesting to just copy the original.
                              The only reason why I am still doing this, (trust me if it is not for OT, I will never think of I will do the remake thing once again after this many years), is simply after I started it, I want to finish it.

Oh, by the way, I am also working on new maps.

Originally posted by Complete View Post
                              Nemmy, in case you haven't noticed the map was originally designed for 'Open Tournament' which has been discontinued due to Epics UT announcement.
                              Obviously it's correct that he used his base model for the upcoming UT instead of laying his work to waste, in which he put time and efforts, saying that's not productive is not fair at all.
                              It's not that he just made it in the last couple of days.
                              Good job Chong for your great work
                              Thank you, you understand me!
                              [WIP]: DM-Deck(Remake) | DM-DeepBlue | DM-Peak(Remake)

My stuff: @ Youtube | @ Small site | @ My blog

Comment

Working...
                              X