DM-Graveship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Graveship

Hey guys, wanted to show off the map I've been working on! I don't have a playable version yet, but it should be transferred over to the new version soon. Just wanted to post this and gets your guys' feedback and thoughts.

As explained in the video, the map is based on the idea an old Liandri mining ship, decaying in a spaceship graveyard. I wanted it to have a horror-space vibe, but keep the brightness and cleanliness at a playable level.

Let me know if you guys like this sort of thing, and I can hopefully make more videos as I progress.

Cheers!

Dm-Sand | Idea to Concept Thread

looking forward to this
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sm.zombieultra

Comment

This could end up having an Hyperblast kind of vibe. Definitely some potential and nice concept arts btw !
      RASTE IN PEACE !
      Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
      Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

The layout looks freaking awesome! And the concept looks great I can't wait to see this in game.
        HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
        BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

I'm completely for Graveship, I'd say from the concepts and video that it'll be a keeper. Keep up the good momentum.

Comment

You could have a USMC ship that looks eerily similar to Vortex Rikers hanging out there in space
            HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
            BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
              You could have a USMC ship that looks eerily similar to Vortex Rikers hanging out there in space
              I can neither confirm nor deny that a ship sharing similarities to the Vortex Rikers will be appearing within the debris.

Comment

hah I know where this one comes from, the polycount contest "aliens ship"! Your versatility still leaves me in awe gooba.

Onto the map, this absolutely needs low-gravity. You can take a hyperblast/morpheus route and have low grav only be on the outside but I think it would be a far more interesting map challenge to have large sections or entirely low grav. If your concept is "dead ship graveyard" there's no way for the whole ship's gravity generators to still be online... It looks cool in BSP and the concepts look awesome as usual.

Comment

Theme is neat! Putting emphasis on strategy in the layout is cool also, room-corridor-room can work well if the gameplay inside of those rooms isn't too linear in of itself. You might want to watch some of those sight lines though. I do agree that the outside area is really screaming for some low-grav action. Especially if your theme has this thing floating in a field of debris and you can hide a power up out there (redeemer? ).

Looking forward to giving this a spin after GDC, nice job, you are doing all the things!

Comment

A Gooba map?? Count me in! Looking forward to see how this progresses.
                    Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

I didn't see the BioRifle in your walk-through... Perhaps it could go where you hypothesized a teleported could go?

Comment

its a cool map Gooba

Comment

You could perhaps add a button/trap to the hangar area that quickly drops down the spaceship from the roof and squeezes players being underneath. :P I'd make the button very small though so it doesn't become a huge focus in the gameplay if so. Then the ship should slowly go up to the roof automatically very slowly and only after it's fully raised there it can be dropped again.

I have a feeling other than the hangar area wouldn't be interesting enough, I feel the hallways could have perhaps some added rooms or something to make that part of the map more interesting, I have a feeling with the current layout it would end up being very similar to Hydralics where everyone just meets up in the middle and here people would just rush to the hangar area after belt is taken etc.
                          Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 03-03-2015, 01:44 PM.

Comment

nice!
                            I would prefer more of a "War torn ... space grave" vibe, then a "decaying ... horror space vibe" for the same reasons you mentioned
                            Last edited by JustinM; 03-03-2015, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Clawfist View Post
                              Theme is neat! Putting emphasis on strategy in the layout is cool also, room-corridor-room can work well if the gameplay inside of those rooms isn't too linear in of itself. You might want to watch some of those sight lines though. I do agree that the outside area is really screaming for some low-grav action. Especially if your theme has this thing floating in a field of debris and you can hide a power up out there (redeemer? ).

Looking forward to giving this a spin after GDC, nice job, you are doing all the things!
                              Yea, sight lines are one of the issues that I am debating, as I'm not sure how important they really are yet. So far, I've seen that players really can't camp very long (or don't want to) because they are either leaving to gather power ups or getting ambushed from respawning players. I've found the benefits of long sight lines to be enjoyable though, since even though you can't shoot the enemy with shorter ranged weapons you can still track their movement through-out the map, further emphasizing my goals with the strategy. But who knows, that might change after some good testing, will have to see....

Originally posted by adecentguy View Post
                              I didn't see the BioRifle in your walk-through... Perhaps it could go where you hypothesized a teleported could go?
                              The bio rifle is in the room next to the shield belt. I put it there to help players guard the shield area by shooting blobs from that room out to the shield without running through the airlock trap. Like I said though, placement is still early, so I will definitely try it out.

Originally posted by RPGWiZ4RD View Post
                              You could perhaps add a button/trap to the hangar area that quickly drops down the spaceship from the roof and squeezes players being underneath. :P I'd make the button very small though so it doesn't become a huge focus in the gameplay if so. Then the ship should slowly go up to the roof automatically very slowly and only after it's fully raised there it can be dropped again.
                              The ship drop is a cool idea, but it doesn't seem very practical. Like, it would be very difficult to actually kill someone on purpose with it, which to me, makes it seem more gimmicky and less gameplay related. I think it would be hilarious, and I don't have a problem with gimmicks, but I wanted to stay away from them for this map.

Originally posted by RPGWiZ4RD View Post
                              I have a feeling other than the hangar area wouldn't be interesting enough, I feel the hallways could have perhaps some added rooms or something to make that part of the map more interesting, I have a feeling with the current layout it would end up being very similar to Hydralics where everyone just meets up in the middle and here people would just rush to the hangar area after belt is taken etc.
                              That's kind've why I wanted to place the teleporter where I pointed out in the video, since it would increase the movement between the ends of the map and actually create a stronger focus towards the middle. My intentions are to have everyone basically fighting for control of the middle area for the shield and other items, and fall back to the outer rooms when the shield is down. I see it also creating a strong circular movement as players will travel around the edge of the map grabbing whatever they can and then surge to the middle to fight for the shield.

I might change it from the shield too, since it might not create enough of a draw but it doesn't really matter what the item is. The important part is just that it draws all the players into the middle when its up.

I think having a strong central point of conflict is a realllly good way of having tension in a match, since you know that at some point you are going to have to fight your opponent head on. The pace of the match becomes a, build up, epic battle rhythm, which is something I enjoy in maps. Not only for playing, but increases viewers ability to follow along with the match. The tricky part will be achieving that desired effect with how the map actually plays.

Originally posted by JustinM View Post
                              nice!
                              I would prefer more of a "War torn ... space grave" vibe, then a "decaying ... horror space vibe" for the same reasons you mentioned
                              Definitely, I would be going verrrrrry subtle on the horror feeling, just hinting at it in the atmosphere rather than full on horror themes. I think the original Phobos did this really well, even if it wasn't there intention.

Visual clarity will be huge priority on this map, at least, where I want it to be. I plan on having different degrees of visibility, but it has to help gameplay not work against it. All the lighting choices and spatial decisions have been made with this in mind. The test will be to carry it through to the final.

Comment

Working...
                              X