I quickly gave the map a spin, and everything cries generic FPS:

- Low ceilings
      - No real trick jump opportunity
      - No lift jumps
      - Hard to find a weapon (visually)
      - Weapon locations are not representing the weapons they hold
      - Sparse ammo
      - almost only horizontal action and movement

So basically my opinion is that this map is made for a generic FPS, not for UT. And this is the case because the original creator did it for a generic FPS because this is a demonstration level. Assets won't do a good map, just a beautiful one. Take a sheet of paper, draw a layout, iterate on it and when you are confident you have something fun to play, block it with BSP. Then give the BSP to the players and let them try it, give feedback, etc. When you know the BSP is working then, and only then you can focus on making the map beautiful... You're going the opposite way and imho, the result is a map that does not fit UT. There is so much potential for vertical action in this map ! Yet it is completely omitted... Here are a few ideas of what you could bring into the map to make it more UT-like:

- Have a teleporter taking the player to a platform at the top of the central structure, with a pickup up there
      - Add a new top level to the layout, with jump pads to go there. It could be a big balcony or something
      - Make all the ceilings much much higher, impossible to wall dodge in there currently
      - Add covers to the vast, empty, completely horizontal areas
      - You could add a jump pad to a platform that goes actually outside of the building
      - Have a ship actually come and drop a power up
      - Have the weapon locations actually take advantage of the properties of this weapon (close quarter for flak, more range for shock combos, etc.)

There are tons of ways to make this a real UT map, but they all involve a base layout made for UT, not for any other game... This is a great set of assets, and a great map can come out of it. I'm sure you can pull it off ! Don't hesitate to ask for help and testers if you need on IRC or here in your thread. Don't take it personally, my goal is not just to say your map is bad, but to help you make it a great map through feedback.
      RASTE IN PEACE !
      Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
      Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

Originally posted by Raste View Post
        I quickly gave the map a spin, and everything cries generic FPS:

- Low ceilings
        - No real trick jump opportunity
        - No lift jumps
        - Hard to find a weapon (visually)
        - Weapon locations are not representing the weapons they hold
        - Sparse ammo
        - almost only horizontal action and movement

So basically my opinion is that this map is made for a generic FPS, not for UT. And this is the case because the original creator did it for a generic FPS because this is a demonstration level. Assets won't do a good map, just a beautiful one. Take a sheet of paper, draw a layout, iterate on it and when you are confident you have something fun to play, block it with BSP. Then give the BSP to the players and let them try it, give feedback, etc. When you know the BSP is working then, and only then you can focus on making the map beautiful... You're going the opposite way and imho, the result is a map that does not fit UT. There is so much potential for vertical action in this map ! Yet it is completely omitted... Here are a few ideas of what you could bring into the map to make it more UT-like:

- Have a teleporter taking the player to a platform at the top of the central structure, with a pickup up there
        - Add a new top level to the layout, with jump pads to go there. It could be a big balcony or something
        - Make all the ceilings much much higher, impossible to wall dodge in there currently
        - Add covers to the vast, empty, completely horizontal areas
        - You could add a jump pad to a platform that goes actually outside of the building
        - Have a ship actually come and drop a power up
        - Have the weapon locations actually take advantage of the properties of this weapon (close quarter for flak, more range for shock combos, etc.)

There are tons of ways to make this a real UT map, but they all involve a base layout made for UT, not for any other game... This is a great set of assets, and a great map can come out of it. I'm sure you can pull it off ! Don't hesitate to ask for help and testers if you need on IRC or here in your thread. Don't take it personally, my goal is not just to say your map is bad, but to help you make it a great map through feedback.
        Its not meant to be a serious UT map these are the reasons I posted it

-users on the forum were saying this should be in the game(which it shouldn't) now they have an example to base their theories on
        -its a great example of the assets available to map makers
        -its interesting to see the weapons in a different visual style
        -its fun to try different things in the game
        -its a fun diversion from my own projects in UT
        -If at least one player enjoys this with bots, its worth it
        -Wanted to see how many whinged about it

Thanks for your feedback raste I may add some of the ideas you mentioned its very easy to update it but I dont want to spend too much time on it as its not of my own design, but its fun
        Last edited by WarpSpasm; 03-09-2015, 11:39 AM. Reason: why fly when you can edit
        https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sm.zombieultra

Comment

Originally posted by WarpSpasm View Post
          Its not meant to be a serious UT map these are the reasons I posted it

-users on the forum were saying this should be in the game(which it shouldn't) now they have an example to base their theories on
          -its a great example of the assets available to map makers
          -its interesting to see the weapons in a different visual style
          -its fun to try different things in the game
          -its a fun diversion from my own projects in UT
          -If at least one player enjoys this with bots, its worth it
          -Wanted to see how many whinged about it

Thanks for your feedback raste I may add some of the ideas you mentioned its very easy to update it but I dont want to spend too much time on it as its not of my own design, but its fun
          Got it

10 chars
          RASTE IN PEACE !
          Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
          Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

It crashes when I try and open it.

I'm running on a Mac. Not sure if that should make a difference or not?
            Win 10
            iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
            3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
            32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
            NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Maps:
            DM-RadioActive (Work In progress) DM-Ethos (WIP) DM-QWERTY (WIP) DM-TwinFalls(WIP)
            2k4 DM-MoonGames, DM-Abrenabba, DM-Aphelion, DM-Pyrimid-Of-Gold, DM-UPH-Hexed, Dm-Saint, DM-LethalAdixion, DM-C4-Ariza, Dm-C4-SleepyTomb,

Comment

Map runs on one of my Servers "A Nice UT4 Bash! [HIGHRISE] ..." with redirect Fast DL.
              Last edited by Gee; 03-09-2015, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Hey maybe you could try the text in Unreal Tournament Unreal Engine to change WarpSpasm

Comment

Originally posted by effects69 View Post
                  It crashes when I try and open it.

I'm running on a Mac. Not sure if that should make a difference or not?
                  Do you have the newest version of the game?

Comment

yes I Warp Spasm why?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris UT4 View Post
                      yes I Warp Spasm why?
                      No I meant the guy who said its crashing on his mac

Comment

But my idea is still good or not?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris UT4 View Post
                          But my idea is still good or not?
                          Yeah its a good idea...some of that stuff I may take out altogether so its not so visually cluttered and may drop the file size abit, the round screens could be a good leaderboard as one user posted....the main thing i will do at the moment is add more jumppads, give it more vertical gameplay like raste suggested, maybe put a lift in, I personally dont like lifts but they seem to be pretty popular....so the next update will use rastes feedback to make it more playable in UT
                          Last edited by WarpSpasm; 03-09-2015, 07:29 PM. Reason: editing is the new black

Comment

YES I like but can you try my idea also einzu bring this would mean a lot to me once at a map to see my ideas

Comment

Where can i fins these assets? Looks coool! Great map.
                              https://www.twitch.tv/designerued - stream - maps, models, environment.
                              https://mymeshes.wordpress.com/ - blog - 3d modeling, tutorials, lifestyle

Comment

Originally posted by -Designer- View Post
                                Where can i fins these assets? Looks coool! Great map.
                                These ones in particular are in the learn tab of the ue4 launcher called shootergame demo, theres lots of stuff in the marketplace as well for free and for sale...the ones i used in this map are free however, there is also a great free one called scifi hallway which contains some really nice assets that can easily be used in a modular fashion, I just migrated the entire map into the ut content folder...I had to prepare it first though, removing spawn points and other entities specific to that c++ project the map was linked to, but the meshes and materials themselves migrate over no problem by themselves
                                Last edited by WarpSpasm; 03-10-2015, 06:55 AM. Reason: the quick brown fox edited the lazy dog

Comment

Working...
                                X