CTF-Thorns the UT99 remake.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] CTF-Thorns the UT99 remake.

alright pretty much finished with it, a few tweaks here and there maybe. But otherwise i think it is complete. Post any comments/ideas. Thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zczpxhm02a...ditor.pak?dl=0 *newest 3/12/15

Elipter

*edit
    Map is weapons friendly, has all weapon/ammo pickups, health and powerups.

Updates to my map *3/10/15
    • Improved overall lighting to be more realistic, and a much better flow
    • Navvolume
    • Glass on both sides new texture and easily seen from both sides now also distorts light and objects
    • New texture on the pillars
    • 4 more spawn points for both teams

new screenshot here and also fixed them on my original post as well as the download link to the updated .pak
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Elipter; 03-12-2015, 04:44 PM.

Awesome map. I have it running on my server. Brings back the old UT memories. Dead on remake. LOVE IT. Check it out on Dead On Arrival server instagib 24.61.24.158

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Updates to my map
        • Improved overall lighting to be more realistic, and a much better flow
        • Navvolume
        • Glass on both sides new texture and easily seen from both sides now also distorts light and objects
        • New texture on the pillars
        • 4 more spawn points for both teams

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zczpxhm02a...ditor.pak?dl=0

new screenshot here and also fixed them on my original post as well as the download link to the updated .pak
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Elipter; 03-13-2015, 12:58 AM.

Comment

My only request, instead of calling it CTF-Thorns, call it something CTF-Thorns99. That way if someone wants to come along and remake Thorns to take advantage of the UE4 engine, players arent confused over which version is which.
          PayBack
          Come Join UT4Pugs.com on Discord! https://discord.gg/nx5Gnbx
          Capture the Flag, Elimination, Duel, Assault, Flag Run, Death Match, Team Death Match, Custom Maps and Mutators!
          UT4Pugs Chicao MEGAHUB - Dual CPU, Intel Xeon 16C/32T 64GB RAM Bare Metal Server
          UT4Pugs Detroit Minihub - Single CPU, Intel Haswell 4C/4T 8GB RAM SSD Bare Metal Server

Comment

i can do that, ill update it in my next build.

Comment

Originally posted by -jay- View Post
              My only request, instead of calling it CTF-Thorns, call it something CTF-Thorns99. That way if someone wants to come along and remake Thorns to take advantage of the UE4 engine, players arent confused over which version is which.
              that's a pretty ignorant comment to make there jay, you just directly insulted this guy's ability. Naming conventions are up to the user as well. there are an obscene amount of thorns maps out there from 99-2k4, if some one wants to make another that's perfectly fine, and up to the developer, but to simply bash on some one because you don't think it's "good enough" for the name, or that the developer isn't "taking advantage of the UE4 engine" is ****ed up man, keep that **** to yourself. People should provide constructive criticism on these forums and work together to create a better game. Sharing, helping & creating is what this is about, not your petty ideals and personal preferences.

Comment

Originally posted by K0D3R View Post
                that's a pretty ignorant comment to make there jay, you just directly insulted this guy's ability. Naming conventions are up to the user as well. there are an obscene amount of thorns maps out there from 99-2k4, if some one wants to make another that's perfectly fine, and up to the developer, but to simply bash on some one because you don't think it's "good enough" for the name, or that the developer isn't "taking advantage of the UE4 engine" is ****ed up man, keep that **** to yourself. People should provide constructive criticism on these forums and work together to create a better game. Sharing, helping & creating is what this is about, not your petty ideals and personal preferences.
                Actually your response is the ignorant one. I in no way insulted or bashed his map or his mapping skills. Have you actually played his map? The map is a near 1 to 1 copy, including textures of the UT99 map. Ive actually played this map and against Elipter, he knows I like the map and hes even given me permission to use it on my server. The map is a good remake of the UT99 version, however since its such an accurate remake, it also looks like UT99 and doesnt have any of the technological advancements the UE4 has to offer. With that being sad, I feel that if you want to make a remake of a classic map and have it be identical, call it something that lets people know its a classic style map. It would be better for everyone in the long run because eventually someone is going to come along and make a CTF-Thorns with all the bells and whistles of DM-Outpost23, there is nothing wrong with trying to keep some sort of naming convention now so that everyone is easily able to differentiate between classic maps and UE4 maps.

Chill out.
                PayBack
                Capture the Flag, Elimination, Duel, Assault, Flag Run, Death Match, Team Death Match, Custom Maps and Mutators!
                UT4Pugs Chicao MEGAHUB - Dual CPU, Intel Xeon 16C/32T 64GB RAM Bare Metal Server
                UT4Pugs Detroit Minihub - Single CPU, Intel Haswell 4C/4T 8GB RAM SSD Bare Metal Server

Comment

Originally posted by -jay- View Post
                  That way if someone wants to come along and remake Thorns to take advantage of the UE4 engine
                  That's a bash in my book. Insinuating the he's not capable of taking advantage of the engine, and as I said, naming conventions are up to the developer, not your personal opinion.
                  Yes I've played his map, I've known him for 15+ years and know he's a capable developer. You should think before you speak.

Comment

Originally posted by K0D3R View Post
                    That's a bash in my book. Insinuating the he's not capable of taking advantage of the engine, and as I said, naming conventions are up to the developer, not your personal opinion.
                    Yes I've played his map, I've known him for 15+ years and know he's a capable developer. You should think before you speak.
                    I insinuated nothing when I said he has not taken advantage of this UE4 engine, all I said is that he didnt, which is quite obvious as this map is a near identical recreation of the UE1 map. You're right, naming conventions are up to the developers, however this is a forum where people post their ideas and creations in regards to UT4 and the community responds with their own feedback and opinions. So again, chill out. Elipter is a big boy and doesnt need you hovering over him and starting arguments on the forum on his behalf. If he was upset or insulted by anything I said, Im sure he is more than capable of standing up on his own.
                    PayBack

Comment

Im not upset it is meant to be a remake of the old version so no its not modern, but in that light when more textures and meshes become available, and im currently in process of learning blender to do my own meshes i do intend on making a modern full use of engine version.

Comment

You should rename your versions like _a1, _a2 (alpha 1 and 2) or something because it creates conflicts when I try to put it on our server with the older version

Comment

Will do ill repack when i get home from work.

Comment

Actually if you want to get technical with the name, It should be called CTF-ThornsV4. The only suggestion I'd give you is maybe scaling it for ut4. I've been using 2:1 scale and it works great. Right now in low gravity instagib it feels bit small. Good job so far.

Comment

Awesome! Great map! The mapper can name the map as whatever he want.
                              I guess it'll be easier to find out where the map was included in the older game? Like maps from Unreal series, 99, 2k4, etc. even tho these info can be found on the forums.

Comment

Working...
                              X