DM-Norkeep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Norkeep

Norkeep is an oddity, built by mysterious hands, it was the battleground for two warring states for over four centuries, after which time, both states united, ending the peace once and for all. However as time grew and it later became a historical monument, drawing simply tourists, those same tourists began to hear whispers, until eventually, fourty-five men, women and children disappeared within it's walls, never to be seen again. It has since been sealed and to this day, they say the damned still wage their war within, alongside the trapped staff and tourists.

This is my first map, so please be constructive in your feedback and respectful. I would like any and all feedback you can give. Even if said Feedback in more opinion or even suggestions on what to do with the map, then please feel free to share either way!

I am intending this map to be designed for a Duel-type scenario, 3/4-player deathmatch or anything else really.
    I will be working on this map until I cannot possibly improve upon it without completely redoing it (which I will never do until I've both taken some time away from it and gotten alot more experience). Even if it takes me an entire month or even 3 months.

Just feel free to share your thoughts on it.

Also incase you don't wanna listen to my dumb voice, here's the basics of what I say.
    Development of the map will be in 3 stages.
    Stage 1 will deal with geometry and item layout (items also including spawn locations).
    Stage 2 will deal with lighting, then textures.
    Stage 3 will deal with everything else/appearance/flavor stuff like music, effects, ambience, etc.
    For example, until stage 1 stuff is done, I will never do anything but Stage 1 stuff.

The Map is mirrored; item locations are identical between the levels and the two rooms on each one, the geometry is also identical. Spawn locations are similarily located, I may need to move some, there are 6.

Also the layout will not change if other than it will get more spread out. I may add in another mirrored part and connect it with the top level later.

Update: Alright, so I've not been working on it contsntaly, was occupied with some other things, but they're handled and now work has begun once more.
    I've attached a new screenshot to this post titled Norkeep V2. I just have the one room, but I would still like to hear your feedback on how it is in terms of size. I pretty much have doubled it, plus a bit more, but I indeed honestly feel it'll allow for more free movement, than the last one.
    Due to the size increase though, I had to increase the divide between the platforms so it would still work with my original idea.
    Did that bit up over tonight and last night, gonna work on the other parts and will keep y'all updated

Download

Screenshots are attached. Also apologies for the low video quality.

EDIT: Have uploaded the new build, haven't been able to work often on it, but here you go. A playable build of it of the expanded Norkeep. About two times bigger in almost every place.

EDIT 2: So I've decided to come back as I've gotten more ideas for DM-Norkeep. Unfortunately, these ideas won't work in the current version, as such I will be remaking it much larger in some places.
    One such idea includes multiple bunny-track-style areas where you will gain a redeemer and various superweapons for your skill, including custom-made weapons of my own making and design (if I can do that and package it as just a map) like the Scepter of Ka-haan'Rathuu, Ammo Devourer and The Overslaughterer.
    I'm currently installing the editor after my move to a new city and will see if I can dig up Norkeep's map file, if I can't, then I'll just have to start over and that's just fine.
    Another is to make it part of a series of maps I'm designing for a game project, and to also bring those maps over and simply make Norkeep a map pack than a single map.
    Saw the map being listed in the Map List, and tbh as a result, I will aim to finish it so it has actual textures, good lighting, is bigger (was always aiming for a massive 12-player TDM map) and can be called finished.

Sorry for the massive wait. I got bored and put it on hiatus, then I forgot about it altogether.

Planning on streaming my development here and there, more info on that soon.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by StormyFacade; 03-02-2017, 03:19 AM. Reason: Returning, so providing an update people will easily see.
    Working on DM-Norkeep here and there. Will likely expand it into more of a singleplayer Monster Hunt-style map/Map Pack able to also work as a Deathmatch map, and therefore, an Invasion map.

Working on Project Overkill currently.

I like the layout of the map overall, especially your brush work on the stairs. The open room in particular is interesting with some good z-axis potential.

The main issue I have is that parts of it feel too claustrophobic. That feeling is good on one hand for player experience. It's intense and kinda creepy. But I think certain areas could seriously impede player movement, particularly the sharp corners at :50 and the super low ceiling at 1:30.

If you do another video, I'd add some big, bright lights just so that we can see the map better, too.

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it so much!

I too personally have noticed some parts feels a tad cramped while I was recording the video footage so I'll totally get started on that
      Working on DM-Norkeep here and there. Will likely expand it into more of a singleplayer Monster Hunt-style map/Map Pack able to also work as a Deathmatch map, and therefore, an Invasion map.

Comment

Wow, from the screenshots you have issues with the lights... use only static lights, not stationary ...
        RASTE IN PEACE !
        Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
        Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

Using Point lings and apparently the lights are overlapping, but yeah, I do occasionally have problems with them, how are static lights different and how do I make them?

Comment

You can set the mobility of lights using the buttons at the top of the details panel when the lights are selected: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ity/index.html

For now I'd recommend setting all your lights to static as Raste said, since you're not really concerned with visual polish at this stage and it'll be easier to work with. Stationary lights have a nice smooth falloff, crisper shadows, and look more realistic in general, so later on you might want to switch certain key lights back to stationary where it'll have some visual impact. You just have to avoid situations where too many stationary lights are overlapping an area, as those crisp shadows get expensive. You can also look for areas where you can disable shadow casting on a stationary light without a noticeable difference, as that makes the performance cost for that light negligible while keeping the benefits of the smooth falloff.

Regarding the map, it's looking good for a first start. It definitely seems a bit too dark and cramped at the moment, so once you've spaced things out more and fixed the lights I think it'll improve a lot. If you haven't got one already, you might want to try adding a Lightmass importance volume around the whole of the level, which should give you more detailed bounce lighting when you rebuild lighting and hopefully lighten up some of those black corners a bit.

Comment

Hahaha, Thanks Thomas! Good to know that, actually had no idea how other maps had such good lighting xD

At the moment I am currently using a geometry/lighting-only version of the Example Map to try and explore ways that I can use to spread Norkeep out more. Right now it just is basically resulting in selecting every brush individually and using Scale... Since you can't do that with multiple brushes at once. But I am indeed doing a bit of experimenting.

EDIT: Fonud I'm dumb and can use Scale with multiple brushes, but it creates random holes in the environment, so Yay, thanks to the editor being wierd, I'm just gonna remake the map entirely, but about twice as big, see how that goes.
              Last edited by StormyFacade; 03-15-2015, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by StormyFacade View Post
                Using Point lings and apparently the lights are overlapping, but yeah, I do occasionally have problems with them, how are static lights different and how do I make them?
                If you don't have a Skylight yet, add one, it helps a lot. Think of a skylight as ambient light rather than light from windows and er skylights. You only need one, set it low, 3 works for me, 10 was way too bright.

Comment

Alright, so I deleted my last post because I hate double posting, but I kiiiinda also wanted to bump the thread, due to paranoia that nobody will see my thread.

However, I have edited the original post with a screenshot and a little update on what I'm doing and the progress I've made.

Basically: I was super busy and had to put off the map for a bit, but since last night, I'm okay, and have kinda sparingly been working on the map, the screenshot posted is my work on remaking Norkeep.

Oh also I might later either make it even more expansive by adding in another level or more rooms, or I might just leave it as-is when i've remade the map part-for-part. Either way, feel free to share your thoughts as always, will be working on remaking the map tomorrow, or... technically today at the time of this post.
                  I honestly figure that if it's maybe too big, that I'll just remake it again. Practice does turn suckiness into awesomeness.

Comment

You can always start out by copy pasting all the global actors over from the Example_Map to get a nice starting point for lighting/post. That should help initially with getting something that is a little less dark and hard to read.

Regarding editing geometry - check out some of the tutorials in the launcher on how to use geometry mode. I'd highly recommend to never use the scaling widget on BSP brushes, it'll only cause you headaches and make it near impossible to achieve clean results.

Indeed looks like a great start, keep it up!

Comment

Alright, the layout of the new Norkeep now closely mimicks the old Norkeep, and is pretty darn close. I did however remove the small hallway holding the 3 powerups as I felt it didn't really suit the map all that much. I'll be adding some more bits to the top area if I come up with anything that works, until then I pretty much won't be doing much to edit the map until I'm absolutely sure the layout is about as good as it can ever get.

The new layout though in the larger size (save for the bottom level, feels that it actually works as it is now, which is only slightly bigger) feels pretty good though, I gotta admit.

Added two new screenshots in other words xD

Had an idea of adding two new areas to the top floor on either side (length-wise) where instead of plants and flowers and a window, I'm thinknig there could be a sort of outside bit, or enclosed area with simple bunnytrack-style ledges leading to a powerup like Double Damage or Berserk, or maybe just a custom powerup when it becomes possible to package those with maps. (Have a few neat ideas for some absurd powerups personally).

Also I kinda got mental pictures of adding a sort of bit to the top and bottom of the map to be like DM-fracture from UT99, where you'd fall down a pipe thing and appear at the top of the map via some geometry link or something (The thread about seamless portals comes to mind actually), where instead of falling down a pipe and dying, you'd fall into the top floor of the level, or something. Probly might just make that concept into a different map though.

Thinking I want Norkeep's theme to be like... Original Post has been update again.

Comment

New version uploaded, forgot to upload NorkeepV2 also it is not Meshed like how the file says it is

It just has textures, walls, ceilings and floors all have their texture.

Comment

Bumping.
                          Reason: Let people know I'm working on this now. Check the OP for details.

Comment

Looking good indeed! Nice to see you back at it and sorry I missed it the first time around! GL & Keep It Up!
                            LoPing
                            Explosive High Voltage UT99

Comment

Working...
                            X