DM-Scooch [v3 updated 30/Aug]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Scooch [v3 updated 30/Aug]

So I did a thing, it's a new thing. I wanted to really try and use some of the newer UT movement (wallrunning) and see what happens.

This is what happened.
    It's a small map that makes use of maybe more sloped wallruns than it should. But they allow for some nice movement opportunities.

v03 Biggest changes:
    Overhaul of weapon placement
    Big changes at stinger room and the long flak/link area
    More wallruns and walldodges!
    Belt and Chest armour positions switched

Screens:

Changelog:
    Code:
    ::Version 03:: 12/03/2015
    +Moved Belt area slightly making slope longer allowing to raise the upper area to match the slope ramp height making it much easier to start runs
    +Lowered floor at rockets and in overall rocket room slightly to minimize large ramps
    +Extended sniper area back slightly and as such moved long ramp to rockets again making less steep
    +Brought lift at chest armour in towards map making lift jump to bridge easier and vice-versa
    +Cleaned up slope exits to not be harsh angles
    +Adjusted most ramp X/Y scale to fit them better to the area and make them work with cleaner ends
    +Removed platform for rocket launcher pickup
    +Added some slits in the floor below rockets, above link gun
    +Added sloped wall behind top of jumppad at back of flak area, allows for faster player movement around a open, slow paced area
    +Slightly widened belt pit
    +Changed pillars around belt pit, leaving only one gap making it easier to cover that side also cleans up some of the long LOS
    +Moved shock lower area slightly away from helmet side, making central wall thicker
    +Modified upper area where biorifle is and changed route between shock side and belt side
    +Added a window above wallrun in rocket room
    +Changes to chest armour placement allowing for wallrun/walldodge trickjumps to access it instead of it being a simple on the ground pickup
    +Added a wallrun slope around the ramp for sniper area making escapes a little bit more speedy
    +Tweaked wall thickness behind middle wallrun ramp joining upper rocket/flak areas
    +Route between sniper area and flak(upper)/thighpads(lower) drastically changed now has two varying height levels and a cross platform to linkgun area
    +Moved health vials under crossplatform instead of on ramp
    +Linkgun below rocketlauncher moved to platform above vials
    +Stinger moved to biorifle position
    +Widened lower section around thigh pads and sloped a wall
    +Biorifle added to lower section
    +Some detailing tunnels/drain/grating things
    +Window to shoot into vest area
    +Moved some ammo positions around at sniper/linkgun area
    +Extended some sloped walls along to corners so you can get on them at any position
    +Extended shock area towards ramp side
    +Widened line-of-sight blocking column above shock area to accomodate shock area changed
    +Thickened wall between jumppad/linkgun and flak area making JP>Walldodge>Wallrun towards the cross-platform easier
    +Pickup changes:
    	Swapped vest and belt positions
    	Replaced Rocket Launcher with Sniper
    	Moved Minigun down to lower area
    	Replaced Sniper with Rockets
    	Replaced Shock Rifle with Flak Cannon
    	Replaced Flak cannon with Shock Rifle
    +Made wallrun above new flak position easier from lift side
    +Made ALL lifts EaseIn-Out (pls epic make this the default and not linear)
    +Modified all lift times because of animation type changed
    +Moved flak slightly closer to lift so it doesnt have hitscan los down thighpad corridor
    +Added a walldodge dodgeramp at biorifle to lower sniper room, not sure about this yet
    +Hint text
    +Few more lights in lower area

::Version 02:: --/--/2015
    +Un-released build

::Version 01:: 12/03/2015
    +Inital Release

Change log for:
    DM-Scooch for Unreal Tournament (4)
    Scott 'Cr4zy' Coxhead
    Old video of some jumps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTLJz-BxMTo

Download v03:
    http://cr4zyb4st4rd.co.uk/Maps/UT4/D...wsNoEditor.pak
    https://ut.rushbase.net/Cr4zy/DM-Sco...wsNoEditor.pak

Let me know what you think :>
    Last edited by Cr4zy; 08-29-2015, 10:57 PM. Reason: new version!

Looks fun doing those zig-zag bouncings especially. Will give it a spin but from the quick look, looks like another great duel layout map with a specialied treat with the huge amount sliding possibilites.

Also great to see you finally releasing some of your work to the public, I hope you do more because your UT3 maps were superb.

Comment

Yeah really wanted to just make use of the UT4 movement options, not much else seems to be doing so. Although, honestly not tried all the custom maps available.

Comment

Nice! movement looks really good, in that way we should go.
        https://www.twitch.tv/designerued - stream - maps, models, environment.
        https://mymeshes.wordpress.com/ - blog - 3d modeling, tutorials, lifestyle

Comment

Very cool, love all the slope exploration you got going on and seems to flow pretty well overall!

Minor bits of feedback - some of the walls are a little on the thin side which might make it a bit awkward to mesh later on and there's a few dark spots here and there. Will also be cool to see what you can come up with in terms of adding some basic visual composition to some of the broader BSP structures. Not necessarily talking detailing things out just picking a few spots here and there to distinguish between minor/major buildings/shapes to give areas a little bit more identity.

Looking forward to more, great job!

Comment

Here I want to show with help of a few pics some suggestions I have.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
            I keep wondering is the pillar really needed there? There's no other pillar like that in the map so it kinda loses synergy a bit and it may lead you to do dodging or strafing right into it in a hectic battle that may get frustrating.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
            I think the gap there is too narrow and favors too much rocket splash damage from the enemy when someone attemps to slide there. I also hit the side wall there a few times when testing that path. I think it would be better to increase the gap width a little bit.

My favorite spot! But this needs elevator slightly bit moved so you can move by liftjump + slide in the paths like drawn with the arrows both away from the elevator and back to landing straight onto the elevator from the ledge/platform in the back.

Also so you can further make really nice wall dodges around that Vest to really make a "suprise from above" for any guys attempting to pick up the Vest.

Here's I'd make sure so that the ground is lifted to be at the same level as the sliding ramp so you can get to that other ledge without going down into that pit where Belt is. It would make that area more interesting.

Other than these things I'd gladly see changed personally I really like the map.
            Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 03-13-2015, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -Designer- View Post
              Nice! movement looks really good, in that way we should go.
              Thanks

Originally posted by Clawfist View Post
              Very cool, love all the slope exploration you got going on and seems to flow pretty well overall!

Minor bits of feedback - some of the walls are a little on the thin side which might make it a bit awkward to mesh later on and there's a few dark spots here and there. Will also be cool to see what you can come up with in terms of adding some basic visual composition to some of the broader BSP structures. Not necessarily talking detailing things out just picking a few spots here and there to distinguish between minor/major buildings/shapes to give areas a little bit more identity.

Looking forward to more, great job!
              Yeah. While making this I recorded everything (with the plan of releasing the videos) I said to myself you shouldn't make walls too thin because of meshing and proceeded to do that myself. It is at this point very rough in block out and fairly easy to adjust thankfully.

Glad you like it.

Originally posted by RPGWiZ4RD View Post
              Here I want to show with help of a few pics some suggestions I have.

I keep wondering is the pillar really needed there? There's no other pillar like that in the map so it kinda loses synergy a bit and it may lead you to do dodging or strafing right into it in a hectic battle that may get frustrating.

I think the gap there is too narrow and favors too much rocket splash damage from the enemy when someone attemps to slide there. I also hit the side wall there a few times when testing that path. I think it would be better to increase the gap width a little bit.

My favorite spot! But this needs elevator slightly bit moved so you can move by liftjump + slide in the paths like drawn with the arrows both away from the elevator and back to landing straight onto the elevator from the ledge/platform in the back.

Also so you can further make really nice wall dodges around that Vest to really make a "suprise from above" for any guys attempting to pick up the Vest.

Here's I'd make sure so that the ground is lifted to be at the same level as the sliding ramp so you can get to that other ledge without going down into that pit where Belt is. It would make that area more interesting.

Other than these things I'd gladly see changed personally I really like the map.
              1) The plan was to make it a little larger, in my mind, i just didn't do it. Ideally it's there to just add a little cover over what would be a contested weapon. It needs some more fleshing out however.

2) The idea with this was infact for it to be narrow. It's the 'shortcut' in the room and as such it shouldn't be free access. With the belt being below that side it forces a bit of risk/reward taking the shortcut to get to the highground faster. Again, because blockout it certainly could be a cleaner area with less stuff to get splash damage off of, but I think it's nice to make it a little risky.

3) All those jumps are possible, if done perfect. Im not sure I need to move the lift, maybe just make the lift jump easier to perform. The problem is you can't slide back (you can't slide if you're falling) so you're forced to dodge and that makes it a little awkward. I can see about making it easier to do. either by moving or changing speeds.

4) This really should be higher yes, after playing it more myself I can agree on that, it might just be a little awkward with how the slide door is currently, if I even keep that.

Thanks for the feedback though

Comment

Looking at the video - this map looks nice. I'm going to download it later to figure out those wall slides.
                Unofficial Enforcer Model
                Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

Wow! Cr4zy, this is awesome!
                  DM-1on1-Deck8 | DM-1on1-BirdCage | DM-Complexo (GoldenEye Redesign) | DM-ShootThemMalcomsGood | DM-1on1-Toxicity

Designer at Candango Games. Check my Gamasutra Blog.

Comment

From the video, it looks like a skatepark... with weapon
                    Last edited by BloodK1nG; 03-26-2015, 03:29 PM. Reason: big grin missing
                    CTF-GreenCause - DM-Blaster - CTF-RavenBreak - Assault Mappack
                    Download Folders: My maps & Assault Mappack

Comment

any update?
                      This is the best map with the greatest potential in WIP.

cmon crazy! dont waste it,
                      Last edited by -Designer-; 04-04-2015, 11:31 AM.
                      https://www.twitch.tv/designerued - stream - maps, models, environment.
                      https://mymeshes.wordpress.com/ - blog - 3d modeling, tutorials, lifestyle

Comment

It's not dead, I promise!

Comment

hey crazy I though you was missing or dead! you first map for ut(4)? Promising

Comment

Originally posted by darksonny View Post
                            hey crazy I though you was missing or dead! you first map for ut(4)? Promising
                            Can't get rid of me that easily! :>
                            And yes first map so far

Comment

Whew! Good to see you still working on this. Had me worried...
                              Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Working...
                              X