Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Octagon

Version 16 released (12 Feb 2016).

I was unable to upload the pak to rushbase this time (the file is just getting too big and keeps timing out before finishing), but DutchSmoke was kind enough to grab it off google drive and upload it to his rushbase account where it can be used for redirects.

https://ut.rushbase.net/DutchSmoke/D...wsNoEditor.pak

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=d...E13UnBQdlM3Ums

Server info:

[/Script/UnrealTournament.UTDMGameMode]
    MapRotation=/Game/RestrictedAssets/Maps/WIP/DM-Octagon-v16

[/Script/UnrealTournament.UTBaseGameMode]
    RedirectReferences=(PackageName="DM-Octagon-V16-WindowsNoEditor",PackageURLProtocol="https",PackageURL="ut.rushbase.net/DutchSmoke/DM-Octagon-V16-WindowsNoEditor.pak",PackageChecksum="eec3ae9c310327db4ec7eb6ce4d30411")

Changes:

Too many changes to list.

Lots of new meshes (mostly from Epic's Infiltrator Demo), changes and tweaks to geometry, collision, lighting and so on.

4.11 scrambled a bunch of brushes and blocking volumes. I think I fixed all that but I may have missed a few, if you notice wonky collision, missing collision or something floating in midair somewhere, please mention it here.

Screenshots (V16)

Attached Files
    Last edited by MoxNix; 02-12-2016, 02:55 PM.

Reserved...

Comment

V2 released for testing Sunday 2015-03-15

https://ut.rushbase.net/MoxNix/DM-Oc...wsNoEditor.pak

Increased vertical scale, 2nd and 3rd levels are now higher than they were before. You can't just walldodge+boots jump from the bottom all the way up to the 3rd level anymore.

Lifts slowed down a bit so you can't get quite as much air off a lift jump.

Added some geometry details. I'd particularly like feedback on the narrow passageways to the small central room with the red light. Not sure if I should leave that part navigable or if I should block it off so it's just decorative. The original plan was to fill it up with something and make it decorative, but now I'm thinking it might improve the flow, so maybe it should remain navigable. Perhaps an energy field with a damage volume or trap in there... Or perhaps not.

Added minigun, link, 100 armor and some more ammo. The actual rooms where these pickups will be in the end don't exist yet (there's about 40% of the layout to do still). Mini and link are close to where they'll be in the end, 100a will be a long ways from where it is now.

Fixed a bunch of problems with copied brushes by replacing them all with new brushes... No more Alt-drag copying for me!

Improved lighting bigtime. Lighting is still very basic, nowhere near finished, but it's not nearly as dark now and looks a lot better. The most important lighting change was adding a Skylight (the name is a bit misleading, might be better to call it Ambientlight instead).
      Last edited by MoxNix; 03-15-2015, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Almost forgot, V2 has a navmesh so bots should navigate the map better too.

Started working on the other 40% of the layout. Got close to half of it blocked out today, should have another pak ready in a few days.

I could really use some feedback on the scale though, are rooms and hallways too big, too small, just right or what?
        Last edited by MoxNix; 03-16-2015, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Hey MoxNix,

I played around with your map a little.
          The ground floor feels a little too big, while walking on the ground you are very vunrable with nowhere to go. Imo the map could be scaled down.
          The first and second floor on the other hand have more options in terms of movement like wall dodge over the gap (horizontal) or dodge/jump a floor lower (vertical).
          I like the placement of the redeemer and the way to get to it

Comment

Originally posted by Hatseflatsie View Post
            Hey MoxNix,

I played around with your map a little.
            The ground floor feels a little too big, while walking on the ground you are very vunrable with nowhere to go. Imo the map could be scaled down.
            The first and second floor on the other hand have more options in terms of movement like wall dodge over the gap (horizontal) or dodge/jump a floor lower (vertical).
            That's more or less what I was thinking, particularly the part about the ground floor vs the 2nd and 3rd floors. It doesn't feel like that in the original 2k4 version which this version was scaled up from. In fact running around in a circle on the bottom floor was actually quite fun in the 2k4 version.

The really odd part is the scale feels ok on the 2nd and 3rd levels and plays similarly to the 2k4 version. It's only that lower floor that just feels wrong.

I could try scaling it down 10-20% on the X and Y axis and see how that feels but there'd be a few issues with making jumping around the higher floors even easier than it is now. I'll have to think about it until I come up with something that works. In the meantime I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Z axis scale needs to stay where it is though. V1 had the 2nd and 3rd floors roughly 20% lower and boots+walldodge easily took you all the way from the bottom floor to the 3rd floor. Besides that there was barely enough head room to jump without hitting your head on the ceiling.

Originally posted by Hatseflatsie View Post
            I like the placement of the redeemer and the way to get to it
            It's probably a little too easy to get to the redeemer right now but that can be tweaked. I don't want it to be too hard either, noobs have to be able to get to it without too much trouble.

Also noticed today that I forgot to delete a working or reference copy of the map (basically an older version with somewhat different geometry) before packing this version. Worse yet, there are 2 playerstarts in there (vs I think 18 in the real map), so it's possible you could spawn in a poorly lit, mostly untextured part of the map. I'm almost done with needing to refer to that old geometry now so that won't be a issue with future paks.

Already have the basic rooms and corridors for the other 40% of the map done too though I still need to add a bunch of details in that area. Details like some Z-axis in there, it's pretty much just flat in that part right now but that'll change. I need to make radical changes to that part of the map from the original anyhow since it really depended on 2k4 dodge-jump.
            Last edited by MoxNix; 03-16-2015, 10:21 PM.

Comment

I've scaled the connecting corridors width down by 20% (800 uu now vs 1000 uu before) while keeping corridor length at 1000 uu. That keeps the jump gaps on the upper levels the same while making the shock and rocket rooms shorter across the X and Y axis.

You feel less like a deer in the headlights on the bottom floor now.

Changed and/or added a number of other things too. Going to do a few more things before uploading a new pak.

Attached Files
              Last edited by MoxNix; 03-17-2015, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Version 3 released for testing today.

https://ut.rushbase.net/MoxNix/DM-Oc...wsNoEditor.pak

Most of the basic layout is in now. The new part is still pretty rough and subject to change. I'm very open to ideas and suggestions for that part of the map. Right now that part of the map goes down, I'm thinking about changing it (or half of it) to go up instead, possibly with a jump pad connection to the 100a / rocket room in the center of the map (old part).

Scaled down the size of the rocket and shock rooms as well as the connecting corridors between them in the old section of the map. Corridors are 200 uu narrower now (800 uu vs 1000 uu before). The rooms also are 200 uu shorter across both the X and Y axis. This makes you feel less like being a deer in the headlights when on the bottom floor in that part of the map while keeping the gap jumps on the 2nd and 3rd floors as they were.

Added Shield Belt and Invisibility powerups. They're basically placeholders for now, not sure if either one will remain in the final version or if they do remain in the map if they'll be in the same places.

Added a second Shock Rifle and a second Flak cannon. Placement for these will almost certainly change as the geometry around them takes shape.

Moved Minigun and Pulse Rifle a short ways into the new part of the layout.

Added 2 more 25 health for a total of 4 on the map now.

Many small changes to geometry, lighting, item placement, practically everything.

Added a couple reflection spheres. Really just a quick test to see how much of an effect they'd have which seems to be negligible. I guess I probably need to tweak the settings on them and add more of them. Or maybe they require a Post Processing Volume or something? If so the map doesn't have one yet.

One of these days I'm going have to play around with Lighting, Reflections and Post Processing to figure out how they all work, how they interact with and affect each other in UT4. I'd love to see a quick tutorial on the subject. Something along the lines of Sid's quick level creation tutorial.
                Last edited by MoxNix; 03-19-2015, 04:01 PM.

Comment

I'm going to put working on this map on hold for a while.

he problem is the map was designed for jumpboots. UT4 jumpboots are so much more powerful they break the map. I'll probably wind up removing the boots but if I do that I'll have redesign most of the map to play well without boots.

Comment

Started working on this map again. It was never abandoned as erroneously reported elsewhere. It just wasn't turning out how I wanted it to, I needed to take a break, put it on hold for a while and think about how to fix it.

I've now scaled the entire map down a little bit more, wiped out a bunch of changes made earlier and went back to an older, slightly different layout. Next I intend to completely redo materials, lighting and bunch of other things. As a nice bonus, it fits the grid perfectly now so it should be even easier to make changes (including big ones) in the future!

I should have a new improved version up for download in a few days.
                    Last edited by MoxNix; 04-05-2015, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
                      Started working on this map again. It was never abandoned as erroneously reported elsewhere. It just wasn't turning out how I wanted it to, I needed to take a break, put it on hold for a while and think about how to fix it.

I've now scaled the entire map down a little bit more, wiped out a bunch of changes made earlier and went back to an older, slightly different layout. Next I intend to completely redo materials, lighting and bunch of other things. As a nice bonus, it fits the grid perfectly now so it should be even easier to make changes (including big ones) in the future!

I should have a new improved version up for download in a few days.
                      Lifted the abandoned status MoxNix

Comment

Just a couple more screenshots to show how work is progressing.

Still have some more texturing and a few other things I want to do first but should have another pak out in a day or two.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
                          Just a couple more screenshots to show how work is progressing.

Still have some more texturing and a few other things I want to do first but should have another pak out in a day or two.
                          Looks great! I like the more "open" feel the skylights give. Makes the map feel bigger.
                          My maps: DM-Incomplete | DM-Archives | DM-Foundry | DM-Sewage

Comment

I love the feel of height the last screenshot is implying. Also the colors look good to me. I do not like that the different height-levels of the map are strictly divided. I can only judge from this one screenshot ... I'll give this one a go this evening and post some screenshots later.
                            If you see me grinning, it's a disguise.
                            If you see me grinning, don't trust my lies.
                            When the ink dries, we'll have another masterpiece.
                            When the drink dies, we'll have another restless sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by milb View Post
                              I love the feel of height the last screenshot is implying. Also the colors look good to me. I do not like that the different height-levels of the map are strictly divided. I can only judge from this one screenshot ... I'll give this one a go this evening and post some screenshots later.
                              Sure, but keep in mind the version I'm working on right now (and what's in the last 2 screenshots) is a bit different than the last version uploaded. In particular it's scaled down a little more.

The height-level division thing is mostly intentional, the map is very much about lifts. There are 6 lifts in the map already and I might add 2 or 3 more yet.

Oh and good to hear you like the colors. I'm having a real tough time with that right now. Color has never been my strong suit and my good monitor died recently so until I get a new one I'm stuck using a backup monitor with badly blue/grey shifted color! Colors just don't look right on that monitor and it can't be adjusted to get rid of the color shift!

Like I said in another thread before, anyone who thinks Lea is too blue should see it on my monitor!
                              Last edited by MoxNix; 04-07-2015, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X