DM-Malevolence for UT4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Malevolence for UT4

Remake based upon Rich "Akuma" Eastwood's original DM-Malevolence for UT99. This version is more faithful to the original than other remakes. It has the same proportions, room shapes, item placement and no extra items (other than some vials replacing the obsolete ripper).

Updated 02-07-2015: Version 11 (V11) now available for download

https://ut.rushbase.net/MoxNix/DM-Ma...wsNoEditor.pak

Rebuilt and packed for 4.11

Server Info:

[/Script/UnrealTournament.UTDMGameMode]
    MapRotation=/Game/Maps/DM-Malevolence-V11

[/Script/UnrealTournament.UTBaseGameMode]
    RedirectReferences=(PackageName="DM-Malevolence-V11-WindowsNoEditor",PackageURLProtocol="https",PackageURL="ut.rushbase.net/MoxNix/DM-Malevolence-V11-WindowsNoEditor.pak",PackageChecksum="d74d13dd43a2039a1b40b6dc78bb3328")

Screenshots:

Attached Files
    Last edited by MoxNix; 02-07-2016, 06:51 PM.

Uploaded the wrong version. There's no elevator in that one. Rebuilding now and will upload one with an elevator in a few minutes.

Fixed and updated the link in the original post.

My apologies to the one person who downloaded it before I realized it didn't have an elevator.
    Last edited by MoxNix; 03-18-2015, 11:17 PM.

Comment

i was thinking bout this map yesterday when browsing my ut99 maps, seeing it now here makes me happy
      ut4 @ ESL
      skeevn: The A-side frags [fragmovie]
      usefull jumps for beginners and advanced
      skeevn 2v2 ictf mappack

The only *** playing with arrowkeys since '95

Comment

Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
        My apologies to the one person who downloaded it before I realized it didn't have an elevator.
        Ha, that was me. I definitely thought "hmm this would be a great spot for an elevator!"

The bots weren't pathed in my version either, and it seems like there was only one player start because I was under a big man pile at the start of the match. So I didn't get any play time with it but it looked good as I walked around. It feels a bit larger than the UT99 version, but maybe that's just me.
        DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Originally posted by tidu View Post
          Ha, that was me. I definitely thought "hmm this would be a great spot for an elevator!"

The bots weren't pathed in my version either, and it seems like there was only one player start because I was under a big man pile at the start of the match. So I didn't get any play time with it but it looked good as I walked around. It feels a bit larger than the UT99 version, but maybe that's just me.
          Yeah there's no navmesh in it at this point. And you're right about just 1 playerstart too. I suppose it was a bit premature asking for comments on how it plays in duels before it has more playerstarts.

Definitely have to make adding playerstarts the number one priority for the next pak... Along with a navmesh, lighting importance volume and something to fill the grate holes by the rocket launcher.

Scaling is a bit difficult to nail down. It's like one scale works best for moving around normally and another slightly larger scale for jumps. I decided to go with the scale that makes jumps feel right and then tweak things from there. To make vertical movement and gap covering dodges (far less wall dodges) feel about the same it needs to be around 2.0 times larger, but for simply crossing flat ground, around 1.80 times feels right.

So in the end it's a compromise, either jumping across gaps is much easier (even just simple dodges) or it takes noticeably longer to cover distance across flat open ground where you can't wall-dodge. I ran into the same problem with my original map DM-Octagon, solved it there (I hope) by reducing corridor widths by 20% which doesn't really affect the trick jumps much.

Going have to slow that elevator down too, it's too fast right now. It should be just fast enough that a lift jump to the amp is just barely possible if you time it exactly right.
          Last edited by MoxNix; 03-19-2015, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Apart from rocket jumping how do you get the udamage? I tested it out last night compared to mine it looks huge but excellent job looks really good apart from it looking like land of the giants size. I made mine so you can get to it like in original hammet jump. I also made mine to movement funny how they turned out so different. Good work.
            Join the community Facebook page
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

Originally posted by code187 View Post
              Apart from rocket jumping how do you get the udamage? I tested it out last night compared to mine it looks huge but excellent job looks really good apart from it looking like land of the giants size. I made mine so you can get to it like in original hammer jump. I also made mine to movement funny how they turned out so different. Good work.
              Wall-dodge from the wooden platform on the other side, or a lift jump works too. In the original a plain dodge from the platform did the trick but doesn't quite make it in this version. I'm not sure if I want to scale it down so a plain dodge does work or not. For the amp I think that might be a bit too easy.

Hammer jump should work too though I haven't actually tried that yet. Edit: just tried now, you're right hammer jump doesn't work. It seems to fall about 100 uu short. Not sure if I want to lower the platform (or raise the floor) by 100 uu though. I think that's more of a problem with hammer jumps just not being good enough than anything.

Note to Epic: Buff hammer jumps please! It's pretty sad when Quaker style rocket jumping is better than classic UT hammer jumping.

Do you really think this version is larger than your's? I never actually played your's but from the screenshots I thought it was scaled too big in some ways, too small in others. The shield and invis were what really turned me off on it though.

I thought mine is probably a little on the large side but not much, 10 maybe 20% at the most.

Keep in mind at this point this is a just quick port of an older remake of Malev I did for 2k4 several years back. It's more of a reference copy of the layout in the new engine at close to the right scale (2 times larger to be exact). None of the brushes fit the UT4 grid properly so the next step would be redoing all of the brushwork to fit a powers of 10 grid rather than a powers of 2 grid. Tweaking the scale would go hand in hand with that and once it is all converted to the grid, then it becomes easier to rescale things.
              Last edited by MoxNix; 03-19-2015, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Ok, I just downloaded and tried Code's version, his version is a bit smaller scaled. Funny how I thought it looked bigger in the screenshots. I guess it was just the different proportions messing with my perception.

I do like the pace his version plays at better.

Also using a smaller scale will be easier on a bootless map like Malev. IMO UT4 boots are OP on maps designed for UT99 boots or even the custom 2k3/2k4 boots. The more mapping I do in UT4 the more I realize just how easily UT4 boots can break a map.
                Last edited by MoxNix; 03-19-2015, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Version 3 uploaded for testing

Changes in this version:

- Added playerstarts.
                  - Added a Navmesh so bots can navigate the map too.
                  - Added a blocking volume to keep players from getting on the roof.
                  - Put meshes in the floor holes by the rocket launcher. Unlike in the original version for 99, you can shoot through these grates into the passage below.
                  - Slowed the elevator down a bit (0.75 now vs 0.5 before).
                  - Replaced the 4 sets of stairs with simple ramp meshes.
                  - Replaced a few other brushes with simple placeholder meshes.
                  - Tweaked the lighting a bit.
                  - Numerous other small changes here and there.

In this version I'm mainly looking for feedback on two things:

1. The scale. It probably needs to be scaled down and made tighter but I'd like to hear what others think first.
                  2. How it plays in duels. The original UT99 map was a popular competitive duel map and I'd like to keep it that way.

Other than probably needing to be scaled down, this version is about ready for some serious server testing.

And a final thought:

I think the 0utpost23 theme would suit Malevolence very well. So I'm considering using a lot of Outpost assets once they're released to finish this remake more quickly. On the other hand, there are probably going to be a lot of Outpost themed maps initially so maybe that's not such a good idea. What do you think?
                  Last edited by MoxNix; 03-22-2015, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Haven't tried it in a 1v1 but the scaling seems way off

For example it takes about 5 seconds in UT99 to walk from the 2 hp boxes to armor without any dodges, in UT4 it takes almost double that. Similarly in UT1 it takes about 4 dodges to get from the armor platform to those 2 hp boxes in the corner, in your version it takes about 8

Comment

Originally posted by nuxx View Post
                      Haven't tried it in a 1v1 but the scaling seems way off

For example it takes about 5 seconds in UT99 to walk from the 2 hp boxes to armor without any dodges, in UT4 it takes almost double that. Similarly in UT1 it takes about 4 dodges to get from the armor platform to those 2 hp boxes in the corner, in your version it takes about 8
                      Hmm... I didn't think it was that far off. I did get used to playing it in UT2k4 with double jump though, maybe that's what's throwing me off. Basically I made a 2k4 version years ago scaled for jumps with everything you could do in 99 with a dodge taking a dodge-jump instead. In particular the jumps from the wooden platform to the amp and from the ledges behind link to snipe ammo.

My latest working version has all the brushwork redone to fit the new grid now and while doing that I scaled it 12.25% smaller too. I think that's probably still a little too big but from what you're saying it'd be more than just a little bit. It'll be easier to adjust the scale now that all the brushwork fits the grid properly. If I take it down another 10% or so the amp ledge should be reachable from the floor, the snipe ammo jumps should be easier like in older versions and plain dodge from wooden platform to amp ledge might work too.

Not sure if I'll release the 12.25% smaller version for testing or if I'll knock the size down some more first. Probably take a day or two to do it right.

And thanks for the input, it helps!

Comment

No worries, I`ll try it again when you update it

Comment

Originally posted by nuxx View Post
                          No worries, I`ll try it again when you update it
                          Well if you don't mind I'll upload the working version right now and link it in a few minutes.

Comment

Sure thing

Comment

Here ya go

This version is 12.25% percent smaller. That's in brush dimensions, area-wise it's closer to 24% smaller. I'm thinking another 10-12% should do the trick.

Comment

Working...
                              X