Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I'm glad I saw the stream earlier haha!! I was mentioned as being one single person who offered map tweaks whereas seemingly everyone else said "don't touch a thing", so it looks like the shell = the final product. I'm a little bummed, but Chill is still a good map that I still enjoy playing, but here are some of the tweaks I worked in yesterday just for the heck of it:

http://i.imgur.com/KhgIeNl.jpg

>In this picture: Carved out a little ledge in the concrete pillar, increased the length of the windosill, and moved the armor back further on the plank.
    >Why I did this: I felt that if a player was on the ground level of this room and wanted to get the armor, there was only one choice to be made: boosting from the elevator up to the plank for a quick grab. What I did with my new options was move the armor further back so that it would make more sense for a player to use the jump pad in the back. Additionally, a player simply had more options to utilize the window into the flak room, by way of a new travel route.
    >What I would have done with more time: make it more presentable.

http://i.imgur.com/SwjLoES.jpg

>In this picture: I increased the height of the center pillar, adding more options to travel between the buildings. Additionally, I added a ledge on the left of the screen, adding a new way to travel into the bio room quicker.
    >Why I did this: I feel that this was a grand opportunity to allow the player to quickly move from room to room using readily available resources. It is fast and fun to be able to do these things, and it would be fun looking upward and blasting a player out of the sky with a shock combo, or a flak ball, or a flick sniper shot, or a link pull.
    >What I would have done with more time: Possibly remove the ledges on the sides of the pillar facing you, the viewer, in that shot.

http://i.imgur.com/nbyPL9c.png

>In this picture: You can see another angle of how the center pillar would look if it were taller, and had ledges.
    >Why I did this: you can see how the increased pillar height can still offer a line of sight from the armor to the belt, but slightly decreased visibility makes for a more skillful shot.
    >What I would have done with more time: Unsure

aaand like before, here is the most dense image:

http://i.imgur.com/FVK2f3g.jpg

>In this picture: I made the archways thicker, and gave them shallower angles. Additionally, I added a new travel option in the thigh pad trenchway.
    >Why I did this: You can see that a thicker archway with more shallow angles allows for substantially more travel routes, and areas to fight on.
    >What I would have done with more time: This concept was more difficult to balance than I thought, and it is in a very rough state. I would have done play testing to see what was acceptable, and what was not. Also, i don't know how to make a half-cylinder yet

Overall concepts: Given that this map is mainly geared towards 6 player free-for-all matches, I feel it would suit the gametype to have the player allowed loads of freedom to go more places at a quicker rate, lending for less repetition and more dynamic matches / depth.

I'm brand new at the editor, so I'll just take the things I learned and use them to build my own brand new map from scratch. The concept art looked preeeetty sweet, and I'm looking forward to checking it out. Thanks!!
    Attached Files
    ChimmiChunga leads from the front, and DieHard UT holds the crown!!
    Frag video featuring Rookie
    Frag video featuring Phantaci
    Come find people to play with in IRC! All skill levels welcome!!

Comment

The main problem with the 1st picture's walldodge is that the 100 armor and the Amp would become way too close to each other. I think that window is just fine as another 'cover the powerup' position. You can still hammerjump or use the JumpBoots can't you?

I think making the statue walkable is not really necessary as you can walldodge from the Bio building to the Amp one already. Increasing its height would block the sightline from Sniper to Amp, which I think is not a good thing.

Most of the ideas of the 3rd picture look pretty awesome to me. I would leave the arch next to the LinkGun destroyed and unwalkable, though...

If you're getting some attention from the devs, I would really encourage you to keep doing this. In the past, I used to take screenshots of maps to draw ideas and most mappers really appreciated it! Heck, I might start doing it again if I find the time for it...
      DM-Batrankus is out on the UT Marketplace! Enjoy!

My UT Maps: | JB-Makoy (UT3JB) | JB-Fragtion2 (UT2004JB) | CTF-Opposite (UT2004) | VCTF-Antropolis (UT2004) |
      My Puzzle Levels: | Tetrobot and Co. | Portal 2 | Toki Tori |
      My Localizations: | Killing Floor |

Comment

Is no official Image or?

Comment

Gooba's artwork :
          Attached Files

Comment

You don't need to change the arches at all in order to do any of those jumps. You can also already dodge between the amp and the bio room balcony so I don't think the statue needs it's own ledges. The ability to walldodge out of the thighpads channel would be a nice addition imo.
            :|

Comment

Yeah, like I pointed out in my previous screenshot dump, I found that several of these jumps are possible already in the current shell. But you'd all have to just see for yourselves how the changes I made *encourage* different play, and make the map seem a lot more different and dynamic and blah blah blah. The map is being finalized with meshes by Epic as I write this, so it was a little too late for my points. That's okay, I'm taking some of these ideas to my own map I'll slowly be developing!!

No big deal, it's still a good map, I'm sure it'll look amazing, and I look forward to seeing it for real!! I'll just take my nit-picky brain on to my own project instead :P

Comment

I think it's great that people do draw overs of ideas they have and stuff, I always dig seeing them and definitely encourage people to voice their ideas, especially early on after a person releases a map as that's the time they are probably more likely to be actively working on it!

I probably don't post enough on the forums at the moment as I'm always busy with lot's of different things but I do read almost every comment.

In Chills case specifically, it was one of those maps where I wanted it to be very simple on the surface where everyone could understand it, but also have some of these moves be discoverable and slightly higher skilled to keep it interesting over time. My personal style with building maps is to try and focus on making things simple and then layering in a few complex things as I feel like that tends to be more interesting than just having complexity for the sake of complexity. Not that I think that's what you're saying here at all as in fact most of these moves can actually be done! That's just my general design philosophy on maps.

The height of the pillar with the statue was specifically set for the sniper/udamage los being visible so that there was a little risk when going for it. It's also by design that the belt is visible from the shock/armor so that people can use the shock to knock people out of the air going for it (this is also the reason why the one arch in the open has a crack in it ). Also if a team controls the outside area, they can snipe from the belt platform into the shock/chest armor area.

One of the things I totally agree with that we had talked about here also, is the sniper to bio pathway is very one dimensional and not as interesting as it could've been. But at the time I was still on a different project and didn't have much time to work on UT stuff so I never got to try many things with it. I had a few versions with some different ramparts between the 2 but they never quite worked out.

Now that we have started to do the visual pass already, I don't think there will be too many big game play changes before we release that version but I would definitely recommend taking some of the things you've done above into a map of your own! That would be pretty sweet.

It's great that people really enjoy playing the map though as it's definitely one of the maps I've most enjoyed working on.
                Last edited by stuman; 11-19-2015, 07:16 PM.

Comment

If it's not too late for new ideas, here's my take on the Link-to-Bio zone (god, I finally found a way to take decent screenshots... ty Steam! :P). It is mainly a new platform that could look like a destroyed bridge or something like that. Since the other two lifts in the map have some awesome liftjumping possibilities, I think it would be pretty cool if you could liftjump from the Sniper lift to the new platform I'm suggesting... Not completely sure if it would be possible, though...

Attached Files
                  DM-Batrankus is out on the UT Marketplace! Enjoy!

My UT Maps: | JB-Makoy (UT3JB) | JB-Fragtion2 (UT2004JB) | CTF-Opposite (UT2004) | VCTF-Antropolis (UT2004) |
                  My Puzzle Levels: | Tetrobot and Co. | Portal 2 | Toki Tori |
                  My Localizations: | Killing Floor |

Comment

Originally posted by [Epic]stuman View Post
                    I think it's great that people do draw overs of ideas they have and stuff, I always dig seeing them and definitely encourage people to voice their ideas, especially early on after a person releases a map as that's the time they are probably more likely to be actively working on it!

[....]

Now that we have started to do the visual pass already, I don't think there will be too many big game play changes before we release that version but I would definitely recommend taking some of the things you've done above into a map of your own! That would be pretty sweet.

It's great that people really enjoy playing the map though as it's definitely one of the maps I've most enjoyed working on.
                    You're right, thanks for posting!! Also, thanks for the tip about why that one archway is broken outside of the rocket room!!

Originally posted by G.Lecter View Post
                    If it's not too late for new ideas, here's my take on the Link-to-Bio zone (god, I finally found a way to take decent screenshots... ty Steam! :P). It is mainly a new platform that could look like a destroyed bridge or something like that. Since the other two lifts in the map have some awesome liftjumping possibilities, I think it would be pretty cool if you could liftjump from the Sniper lift to the new platform I'm suggesting... Not completely sure if it would be possible, though...

Yeeeeeeesssssssss, me likey!! Or even have that bridge entirely replace the archway, and utilize the closed-off window that's already there??

I had an idea to make a TDM variant of Chill where there was an entirely new back section behind the bio room, so the map would be big enough for 8-10 people. But that's for another time.

Also, I forgot to mention I also put a little window slit in the middle of the sniper tower, so that players can be shot at with a single well-placed rocket or something while taking the lift up to the second floor, as long as they're exposed enough. It could stand to be prettier, but I think it adds a little depth!!

http://i.imgur.com/AQTdYfq.jpg

Additionally, I carved out a little room on the lift jump above the redeemer so you don't bump your head while making that jump. Again, it doesn't look very pretty in the picture, but it helps!!

http://i.imgur.com/0R7z7Ed.jpg

And lastly, since the concept art shows a snow storm, I always thought an invisibility powerup would be great on the map!! Not very likely at this point, but a guy can dream, eh?
                    Last edited by BigFatErik; 11-19-2015, 10:05 PM.

Comment

@Erik, play the map on "Showdown" and you have your invisibility item

This map is fantastic and i love the movement possibilities to reach the belt, jump and dodge between the archs, liftjumps etc. etc. Stu you make me happy. And the news that Chill will be the next map to get the beauty treatment makes me even happier

Comment

Love those stained glass windows! Already using them in other maps along with the peaked roof mesh and a few more Chill meshes and textures.

Can't wait for the next build to see more new assets for this map.
                        Last edited by MoxNix; 11-23-2015, 06:34 AM.

Comment

I think Chill become no update in the next Build

Comment

Chill Update was in a Live Stream this week i am so happy and hope Chill come soon

Comment

can this still be played in low poly/textureless on low settings? i do not want fps loss for visuals...

Comment

Just wanted to say that after watching this week stream, I've saw the new meshes and frankly, they're looking **** nice
                                Stevie's corner
                                My UT4 levels
                                Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Working...
                                X