DM-1on1-Pure (remake) WIP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-1on1-Pure (remake) WIP

Hello there. Just decided to start with something small and recreate one of my favourite UT3 maps.
    It's based on original DM-1on1-Pure by Sdruifos with just a few small changes. The layout though is closer to Pure-Pro version of the map by Captain Migraine for now.

Basically it's pretty small, but extremely intense duel map with a lot of vertical gameplay and movement options. Also could be pretty fun in a DM up to 4 players (5+ just becomes a real mess).
    It's still just a rough BSP shell and everything is pretty unfinished. Should be playable though.

Pak file: https://ut.rushbase.net/K-2/DM-1on1-...wsNoEditor.pak (version 0.2)

In the video there's custom movement prototype.

Any feedback of course would be appreciated
    Attached Files
    Last edited by K-2; 03-31-2015, 07:48 AM.

Seems like you nailed it down perfectly! Especially the scaling, I hate when even small maps gets very cramped feeling but you effectively somehow kept away that feeling here with reasonably large corridors/paths and open spaces (in comparison to playersize) and that's cool.
    Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 03-20-2015, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RPGWiZ4RD View Post
      I hate when even small maps gets very cramped feeling but you effectively somehow kept away that feeling here with reasonably large corridors/paths and open spaces (in comparison to playersize) and that's cool.
      Basically on 1.5625 scale UT3 maps look the same way in comparison to playersize and running around also feels ok, however it still becomes kinda cramped in-game and I had to make some areas like 25% wider.
      The scale has a lot to do with the movement and I think in this case it's mostly about dodging & walldodge combining for current setup. You actually move faser than in UT3, but it lacks control & manual deceleration so you often fall down or bump into the walls after dodging. Single jump + landing assist in conjunction with higher walldodging Z boost kinda gives the double jump height but feels pretty sloppy for trickjumps like walldodging from bridge to armor vest so it also requiers more space.

I'm still working on the geometry shapes and lighting to bring it more distinct look. Actually the original was made 95% of BSP and still looks great. Unfortunately it seems that the engine still has the same bugs related to BSP shapes, texture alignment and lightmaps just like 10 years ago and maybe even more of those I'll try to figure it out somehow...

Comment

Great work!
        We really need this map on UT4, so Epic add this! We have not so many duel maps at the moment!

Strength points:
        -Very intense (maybe too much for some free for all servers).
        -Pretty nice at look
        -Amazing movement capabilities

But remember:
        -Add a barrier field as a roof (for spectator cam)
        -Some textures are missing (just because I know it's easy to forget
        -I think gameplay of ut4 is different from ut3, so you could maybe add thighpads or change something else (I have not any idea at the moment ).

Just go further with development, it is very very good!
        Last edited by Sgob; 03-23-2015, 05:09 AM.

Comment

My favourite duel map from ut3 Definitely one of the best maps i ever played.
          We played few duels yesterday, and I can say it fits very well to ut4. Need some more time to give you feedback, but I'll definitely do that.

1. Please, remove music We cant mute it, must waiting 5 minutes until it ends...
          2. Respawn points are different than in original map?
          3. Wall next to sniper rifle, You make it solid, I am afraid it will change this area into more spam place than before (because of splash damage). But I need test it more.

Originally posted by Sgob View Post
          -I think gameplay of ut4 is different from ut3, so you could maybe add thighpads or change something else (I have not any idea at the moment ).
          Don't do that It's too small map for more armors.
          http://forum.unreal.pl/image.php?u=2...ine=1223384883
          Polish community DISCORD server: https://discord.gg/eMRKbAg Join us if you are Polish and let's play some 4v4

Comment

1. Please, remove music We cant mute it, must waiting 5 minutes until it ends...
            Well have got the same problem: you must set the type of sound into music, and check "looping", so it could be muted

Don't do that It's too small map for more armors.
            Yeah I changed idea.

Comment

Well, thanks

-Some textures are missing (just because I know it's easy to forget
              Literally - all the textures are missing because of placeholders, but i'll check it more carefully. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to port UT3 ones, but I'll probably wait for some official assets anyway...

The changes I've made is the wide stairs at the shield belt, slope in the RL room (as an experiment) and moving some health vials. I don't think that tightpads should be on the map, there's just no justified room for it.

Originally posted by rAge. View Post
              ****, sorry I forgot to change the sound properties when I imported it. Would be fixed.

2. Respawn points are different than in original map?
              No, they are the same. The placement changes are extremely minor.

3. Wall next to sniper rifle, You make it solid, I am afraid it will change this area into more spam place than before (because of splash damage). But I need test it more.
              I'm going to make this area open like in the original just with adding some structure to walldodge after the liftjump. I also think about not keeping all the blocking volumes and let you fall outside the map (suicide).
              Last edited by K-2; 03-23-2015, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Was my favorite and best duel Map in UT3. Will provide more feedback later
                Steam
                irc.globalgamers.net #galaxy #unrealtournament #ut4pugs
                UT Username - nvz
                gg! Galaxy Gaming Community

SPECS
                || Core i5-4670k @ 4.2 gHz || ASUS GTX 1070 4GB VRAM ||ASUS VG248QE ‑ 24in 144Hz || Random 54 inch TV || Mouse - Razer Deathadder Chroma || Keyboard - Microsoft Sindwinder X4 || Case - Cyberpower Titan X || 16 gb DDR3 RAM || Logitech g930 Wireless Surround sound Headset || Steelseries QCK heavy + Mouse pad ||

#PREALPHA

Comment

Nice. One of my fav UT3 Maps

Comment

Originally posted by K-2 View Post
                    Basically on 1.5625 scale UT3 maps look the same way in comparison to playersize and running around also feels ok, however it still becomes kinda cramped in-game and I had to make some areas like 25% wider.
                    So you can cut and paste brushes from UT3 to UT4? (sorry if this constitutes a thread hijack )

Comment

This looks nice, good music too . Never played it in UT3 but maps like these work way better than multi level maps in general imo

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence Moore View Post
                        So you can cut and paste brushes from UT3 to UT4? (sorry if this constitutes a thread hijack )
                        No, you can't. The editor would just crash (and scaling BSP works quite terrible anyway) You can still measure it on the grid and create something similar though (64uu tile equals 100cm and so on).

Originally posted by nuxx View Post
                        This looks nice, good music too .
                        That's official UT3 remix of Mechanism Eight, it played on DM-Arsenal and also was used on the original Pure.
                        Last edited by K-2; 03-24-2015, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Good to see this coming back K-2!
                          Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Originally posted by K-2 View Post
                            No, you can't. The editor would just crash (and scaling BSP works quite terrible anyway) You can still measure it on the grid and create something similar though (64uu tile equals 100cm and so on).
                            Ok Thanks

Comment

I promised some feedback a few days ago, so here I go.

I primarily played the Pro version of this Map made by CaptainMigraine(same author as Lea). I'd suggest taking a look at that to get some more general ideas on how to fix this map.

As of right now, I understand this map Is WIP and only in the beginning stages of development, but it has a lot of problems.

- The scaling is way too small. UT3 speed is slightly faster due to responsiveness of movement but in some areas I feel cramped. I feel as if the whole map still needs tweaked in the scaling. I'd suggest starting over again.

- The music needs to be turned off.

- By the rocket launcher I do like your idea of adding a slope between two stairs but please make the stairs easier to go up and down and stretch them out to the edges. I am getting stuck on these stairs

- Lift jumps are feeling okay, but may need to be tweaked if you decide to re do the scale.

- The area by shock is too cramped. In Pure Pro, the area on the right was blocked off by a see through wall. This should be done as well.

As of right now, I would suggest redoing the whole Map. The scaling is way too small and maybe increasing the size in some areas would be nice. It currently takes me 5 seconds to run from flak cannon to the shock rifle. In UT3 it took me around 8 or 9 seconds. This is a sign you need to re do the scale completely. Anyhow, you nailed the layout down perfectly but the scaling needs work. I hope to see this as much as a success as it was in the ut3 dueling community!
                              Steam
                              irc.globalgamers.net #galaxy #unrealtournament #ut4pugs
                              UT Username - nvz
                              gg! Galaxy Gaming Community

SPECS
                              || Core i5-4670k @ 4.2 gHz || ASUS GTX 1070 4GB VRAM ||ASUS VG248QE ‑ 24in 144Hz || Random 54 inch TV || Mouse - Razer Deathadder Chroma || Keyboard - Microsoft Sindwinder X4 || Case - Cyberpower Titan X || 16 gb DDR3 RAM || Logitech g930 Wireless Surround sound Headset || Steelseries QCK heavy + Mouse pad ||

#PREALPHA

Comment

Working...
                              X