Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duel/dm- Dismay

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    [PROTOTYPE] Duel/dm- Dismay

    Hello World!
    It's my first map for unreal tournament scene. In past, i was semi-pro player, and map developer in few FPS games.

    In real life, im 28years old 3d engineer/designer, i work with 3d software every day, so static meshes arent painfull for me. :]

    I hope, we will make a great things together, waiting for feedback!

    *REVISION 003*
    DOWNLOAD v003 - https://ut.rushbase.net/Designer/DM-Dismay_003.pak


    *REVISION 003*
    -BSP changed - big changes
    -Preliminary layout - cyberpunk
    -corrupted block volume fixed
    -lights added
    -nav bots fixed


    *revision 002*
    -BSP changed (MoxNix)
    -item placement (MoxniX/Charon85)
    *REVISION 003*
    DOWNLOAD v003 - https://ut.rushbase.net/Designer/DM-Dismay_003.pak
    Last edited by -Designer-; 04-13-2015, 03:27 PM.
    https://www.twitch.tv/designerued - stream - maps, models, environment.
    https://mymeshes.wordpress.com/ - blog - 3d modeling, tutorials, lifestyle

    #2
    I read the title as DM Disney

    Map looks great so far!

    Comment


      #3
      This is amazing. Nothing else to say.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by mastrok View Post
        I read the title as DM Disney

        Map looks great so far!
        I read it as Display.

        Comment


          #5
          hehe Disney is cool, so why not.
          Cool first comment Tommy

          Any constructive critism? Placement of items, timing, tricks, stategy, bsp changes? Cmon i will respect everything, i cannot belive its ready to mesh, because for sure its not. :]
          https://www.twitch.tv/designerued - stream - maps, models, environment.
          https://mymeshes.wordpress.com/ - blog - 3d modeling, tutorials, lifestyle

          Comment


            #6
            Ok, since you asked for it, here's some constructive criticism.

            I actually like the scale and pace of the map.

            A few too many dead ends at closed doors. Maybe you're planning on making some of them movers? If that's the case I'd suggest leaving them open for now.

            I really don't like the shield placement. I think a much better spot for shield would be on that high platform in the middle of the large open area, or even on the pillar beneath it where there's a 25 health now.

            Where the shield is would make a good spot for an amp, invis or berserk though I'd change a few things about the area.

            1. The lift is just too slow. Slow lifts aren't fun.
            2. There's a thing blocking access from higher up on the other side. I'd remove that.
            3. There's a teleport right at the bottom of that area that goes all the way to the top with the shock rifle right there. The best powerup and the best weapon basically right beside each other. I'd remove the teleport and replace it with an exit to the bottom of the central area.

            With the shield there and the area as it is now, it's a trap for anyone who doesn't have control and easy control for the guy who is in control. Might be an idea to make that area a little bigger too.
            Last edited by MoxNix; 03-21-2015, 06:37 AM.

            Comment


              #7
              I sense very strong Quake vibes in this map Looks and feels so much like it was meant for Q3/QL
              Really nice one-atrium type, it got my interest from the very first look at screenshots. Kudos for the video - I am impressed with your flow on those tight spots. Great to see a map coming from a skilled player.

              I've just taken a quick run-through and I hope to get more time this weekend to play it more and post some more feedback.

              One thing is certain - it's gonna be 1on1 map, so keep Damage Amp away from it, though I agree partially with armor-vest-area critique. The first time I looked there it seemed overloaded - vest, keg, helmet - too much happiness nearby I am not sure moving the armor to the main atrium area will bring any goodness. I guess the keg usage is a Quake-inspired idea, as it's a rare thing to see that particular item on 1on1 maps. Also, it seems too tight in the flak area. I have some issues with the belt area too, but I'll provide more thoughts (and screenshots) about it sometime later.
              Last edited by insomnaut; 03-21-2015, 12:00 PM.
              @insomnaut aka charon / DM-Coma / ArmorWare

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
                Ok, since you asked for it, here's some constructive criticism.

                I actually like the scale and pace of the map.
                A few too many dead ends at closed doors. Maybe you're planning on making some of them movers? If that's the case I'd suggest leaving them open for now.
                Hi! thanks for words,
                ye, its true i have to make it more smooth, i thinking about corridor from Armor Chest -> Shock Rifle (atm)
                Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
                I really don't like the shield placement. I think a much better spot for shield would be on that high platform in the middle of the large open area, or even on the pillar beneath it where there's a 25 health now.
                Where the shield is would make a good spot for an amp, invis or berserk though I'd change a few things about the area.
                Okay, lets do it for test in 002 version
                Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
                1. The lift is just too slow. Slow lifts aren't fun.
                Yeah, u r right. I have to increase it.
                Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
                2. There's a thing blocking access from higher up on the other side. I'd remove that.
                Hmm, when i tried a version without this BSP, exit jump was too easy, and def player cannot predict from which door player from belt area will exit. Now it's more predictable, and it's better balanced.
                Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
                3. There's a teleport right at the bottom of that area that goes all the way to the top with the shock rifle right there. The best powerup and the best weapon basically right beside each other. I'd remove the teleport and replace it with an exit to the bottom of the central area.
                Cool idea! it makes central area more interesting!

                Originally posted by Charon85 View Post
                I sense very strong Quake vibes in this map Looks and feels so much like it was meant for Q3/QL
                Really nice one-atrium type, it got my interest from the very first look at screenshots. Kudos for the video - I am impressed with your flow on those tight spots. Great to see a map coming from a skilled player.

                I've just taken a quick run-through and I hope to get more time this weekend to play it more and post some more feedback.

                One thing is certain - it's gonna be 1on1 map, so keep Damage Amp away from it, though I agree partially with armor-vest-area critique.
                Thanks for nice words .
                Yep, damage amp cannot be in 1on1, u r right.
                Originally posted by Charon85 View Post
                The first time I looked there it seemed overloaded - vest, keg, helmet - too much happiness nearby I am not sure moving the armor to the main atrium area will bring any goodness.
                Hehe, u r right about its pretty overloaded. Im not sure about moving the armor too .
                Originally posted by Charon85 View Post
                I guess the keg usage is a Quake-inspired idea, as it's a rare thing to see that particular item on 1on1 maps. Also, it seems too tight in the flak area. I have some issues with the belt area too, but I'll provide more thoughts (and screenshots) about it sometime later.
                Keg works like a magnes for player from Belt area, it will makes a situations to take control on the map in my opinion. Yea, u r totally right with flak area, i dont like this area too, have to change something there.
                Waiting for your feedback buddy

                Btw. I waiting for other opinions, but in free time(45mins) i work on static mesh.
                central pillar:

                Attached Files
                Last edited by -Designer-; 03-21-2015, 04:08 PM.
                https://www.twitch.tv/designerued - stream - maps, models, environment.
                https://mymeshes.wordpress.com/ - blog - 3d modeling, tutorials, lifestyle

                Comment


                  #9
                  UPDATE!
                  *REVISION 002*
                  DOWNLOAD v002 - https://ut.rushbase.net/Designer/DM-Dismay.pak

                  *revision 002*
                  -BSP changed (MoxNix)
                  -item placement (MoxniX/Charon85)

                  Check youtube video below.



                  DOWNLOAD v002 - https://ut.rushbase.net/Designer/DM-Dismay.pak
                  Last edited by -Designer-; 04-13-2015, 03:24 PM.
                  https://www.twitch.tv/designerued - stream - maps, models, environment.
                  https://mymeshes.wordpress.com/ - blog - 3d modeling, tutorials, lifestyle

                  Comment


                    #10
                    When you upload new versions could you save and build with a revision number or something to change the filename?

                    DM-Dismay002.pak or something like that. Otherwise it gets confusing with different versions having the exact same filename.

                    BTW, though you can get to the 100a with wall-dodge from above now, I think the pipes hang down a little too low. You have to jump, wait for a bit and then wall-dodge in order to not hit the pipes. It's not extremely difficult but it is very annoying.

                    Also seems a little tight. Might want to scale things up a bit unless you want it to be another Flak map, then it's probably perfect.
                    Last edited by MoxNix; 03-23-2015, 06:01 PM.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Hi hi,
                      Thanks for feedback,
                      I know about this pipe issue, but i like it its a little tricky and makes this item more risky than others. We shouldnt make only maps where u only need to put your finger on +forward and takes everything easly. Map is pretty hard and skilled. Maybe nobody will like it, but i want to try, to make something harder ( zaccubus/hypno ;D )
                      As u said in few places map is wide and cramped, i need to scale it uP. But i want to avoid "shock rifle " wars, we have a alot of big and open map where u only need a rifle, but here rocket or link is more usable than shock rifle In many places.
                      I was wondering how i should to name it. I dont wanna make a mess on your hdd so i took same name as first revision, and only changed "description" to 002. In future i will add a 003 prefix.
                      Thanks for your time,
                      https://www.twitch.tv/designerued - stream - maps, models, environment.
                      https://mymeshes.wordpress.com/ - blog - 3d modeling, tutorials, lifestyle

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by -Designer- View Post
                        Hi hi,
                        Thanks for feedback,
                        I know about this pipe issue, but i like it its a little tricky and makes this item more risky than others. We shouldnt make only maps where u only need to put your finger on +forward and takes everything easly.
                        Believe me I get that. I feel pretty much the same way, but there's making things difficult and there's making things annoying. Of course it's only my opinion, others may think differently, but I think that jump is an example of making it annoying, not difficult.

                        Originally posted by -Designer- View Post
                        As u said in few places map is wide and cramped, i need to scale it uP. But i want to avoid "shock rifle " wars, we have a alot of big and open map where u only need a rifle, but here rocket or link is more usable than shock rifle In many places.
                        I couldn't agree more about the shock rifle. Mind you most of the problem is shock is too good, too versatile. The flip side if you make it tight enough to avoid those "shock wars", then it's probably going to turn into "flak wars" or maybe "rocket wars" instead. Hopefully, weapon balance will improve so shock doesn't own so much.

                        Hehe, giving us back the old 99 mini complete with lockdown would go a long ways to solving that problem.

                        Originally posted by -Designer- View Post
                        I was wondering how i should to name it. I dont wanna make a mess on your hdd so i took same name as first revision, and only changed "description" to 002. In future i will add a 003 prefix.
                        I wouldn't worry about that. I'm pretty sure anyone who's downloading unfinished maps to test can figure out how to clean up old files from his drive.
                        Last edited by MoxNix; 03-24-2015, 07:10 PM.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          *REVISION 003*
                          DOWNLOAD v003 - https://ut.rushbase.net/Designer/DM-Dismay_003.pak


                          *REVISION 003*
                          -BSP changed
                          -weapon placement
                          -armor placement
                          -ammo placement
                          -Preliminary layout - cyberpunk
                          -corrupted block volume fixed
                          -lights added
                          -nav bots fixed


                          *REVISION 003*
                          DOWNLOAD v003 - https://ut.rushbase.net/Designer/DM-Dismay_003.pak
                          Last edited by -Designer-; 04-13-2015, 03:24 PM.
                          https://www.twitch.tv/designerued - stream - maps, models, environment.
                          https://mymeshes.wordpress.com/ - blog - 3d modeling, tutorials, lifestyle

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
                            Believe me I get that. I feel pretty much the same way, but there's making things difficult and there's making things annoying. Of course it's only my opinion, others may think differently, but I think that jump is an example of making it annoying, not difficult.



                            I couldn't agree more about the shock rifle. Mind you most of the problem is shock is too good, too versatile. The flip side if you make it tight enough to avoid those "shock wars", then it's probably going to turn into "flak wars" or maybe "rocket wars" instead. Hopefully, weapon balance will improve so shock doesn't own so much.

                            Hehe, giving us back the old 99 mini complete with lockdown would go a long ways to solving that problem.



                            I wouldn't worry about that. I'm pretty sure anyone who's downloading unfinished maps to test can figure out how to clean up old files from his drive.
                            I fixed that jump as u want, and additionaly i add a pipe to make escape easy. U was right, jump was annoying, now is much better.

                            About flak/rocket/shock wars, in my opinion shock is overpowered and i want to avoid it, i prefer rocket much more.

                            Guys, im open for suggestions.
                            Do you like new placement of armors, is it balanced?

                            What about layout? Do u like Cyberpunk?

                            Waiting for answers!
                            Last edited by -Designer-; 04-01-2015, 02:21 PM.
                            https://www.twitch.tv/designerued - stream - maps, models, environment.
                            https://mymeshes.wordpress.com/ - blog - 3d modeling, tutorials, lifestyle

                            Comment


                              #15
                              GFX update,
                              new box,wall,floor models. ;]



                              Attached Files
                              https://www.twitch.tv/designerued - stream - maps, models, environment.
                              https://mymeshes.wordpress.com/ - blog - 3d modeling, tutorials, lifestyle

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X