This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bass3 View Post
    You don't see a problem in your screenshot?
    I see multiple problems. Was there something specific you wanted to call out?
    DM-Kosko (A04) | DM-Backspace (Released!) | DM-Veracity (A01)| DM-Smog (A01) | DM-Conflux (A02)

Comment

Thanks Scinbed for the map! This is now playable in Seniors Nirvana .sr [Dallas] hub.

Comment

Build 005

I'm playing a lot the map & I must say, while the original is far in my memory this remake is really great. Specially when a remake is made by the same author

The layout is great As for as pickup placement, it's fine for me. I found it well balanced. Note that I'm not a competitive player.

I know you have many things to work on it so I'll make it very short.

Visually, I found the rock material to be to big. It can be tiled 2 times the actual size easily. Same thing with the wood / metal / steel meshes, they look to big imo. Brief, the meshes & materials look gigantic compare to the players, making the players feel like a Smurf. I think that meshes can be reduce by 50% to match the player size. The level would actually have the double amount of meshes but since it's a rather small level without full VFX, it won't hurt FPS very much.

There are also spots where it feel very cramped / tight. Not that it's a bad things but it feel weird to me since the level look gigantic.

Some little suggestions:

Squares : copy-paste of meshes is obvious. I simply recommend to rotate the meshes to 90 degree or 180 degree, your call.
        Arrows : those spots feel cramped.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DM-Backspace_a005.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	964.4 KB
ID:	341741

In all, it's a very good start.

I'll play the map more and provide further feedback asap.
        Stevie's corner
        Maps : DM-Coda, DM-Chroma FPS, DM-Chroma, DM-Dakylian, DM-Elik, DM-Akar, DM-Aryth, DM-Aly, CTF-Infiltrate, DM-Delta
        Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Thanks for the feedback!

Good points all around, and I'll keep the mesh scale in mind for sure. I'm working on the map some more this weekend so hopefully will have a new build up soon.
          DM-Kosko (A04) | DM-Backspace (Released!) | DM-Veracity (A01)| DM-Smog (A01) | DM-Conflux (A02)

Comment

https://ut.rushbase.net/Scinbed/DM-B...wsNoEditor.pak

New build with more coverage and fixes in terms of meshing and background stuff.

Biggest change is the switch to a night-time setting. Lemme know if it works visually (or doesn't).

Comment

the map has been better in the rocks, a waterfall would make good

Comment

i played one match against bots and i have to say i like this a lot so far. im loving where you're taking this visually, and it's great that you're putting effort into those "far away" unreachable places too. Certainly does a lot for this map. Night seems to be quite ok but there are some dark places where it's kinda hard to see your opponents. But keep it up. Can't wait to see the super polished final result.

oh, and i found a spot with missing blocking volume so you can actually run through a wall. it's here on the left side

Attached Files
                PLEASE CHECK MY DUEL MAP >> DM-Central <<

Comment

Oops!

Thanks a lot for checking it out. Totally agree it needs to be a bit brighter in spots. Here's a WIP shot of some updated lighting, added some torches as sources of light and bounced more of the blue moonlight around the open spaces.

Comment

Build 006

I've play few rounds & I must say the night theme fit's much better
                    Stevie's corner
                    Maps : DM-Coda, DM-Chroma FPS, DM-Chroma, DM-Dakylian, DM-Elik, DM-Akar, DM-Aryth, DM-Aly, CTF-Infiltrate, DM-Delta
                    Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

starting to look gorgeous man. im already a fan of this map
                      PLEASE CHECK MY DUEL MAP >> DM-Central <<

Comment

Originally posted by Scinbed View Post

Love the mood of this map, finally someone is trying to go with night theme and it looks great.

Will give it a shot when I'll have more time.

Keep up the good work
                        DM-Temple of the Sun

DM-Plunge 2.0 (working title)

Comment

Backspace is a fave on our community's UT2004 server - very glad to see this one returning!

Comment

Thank you for this remake! It's now available at the Forbidden Paradise HUB!

forbiddenparadise.us

Comment

Nice start man, digging the night time!

One thing I'd be careful with is repeating too many samey looking block elements - it's starting to look quite chunky, would be nice to give individual areas a bit more identity. Alose feels like it's encroaching on the original play space - it's your shell obviously so it's your call but I'd still always advise trying to stay inside the BSP shell as closely as possible.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Originally posted by Clawfist View Post
                                Nice start man, digging the night time!

One thing I'd be careful with is repeating too many samey looking block elements - it's starting to look quite chunky, would be nice to give individual areas a bit more identity. Alose feels like it's encroaching on the original play space - it's your shell obviously so it's your call but I'd still always advise trying to stay inside the BSP shell as closely as possible.
                                Yep, already starting to think about mixing up some of the base wood/stone elements in the main courtyard. Aside from that, this may give you an overall idea of my plan (totally not to scale side perspective scribbles):

Starting roughly mid-way across the map i'll be blending it into more of a natural structure. Cut into the mountain or cliff-side. Think larger rock shapes, slightly cavernous and "makeshift" platforms within for the gameplay space. The scale and general shape of the layout will stay the same but it'll bring some much needed visual identity to a large majority of the map. I'll probably wrap that idea around to the back of the map where the Vest & Shock rifle are.

I'll try and use the assets in the Outside set, but may need to go custom. We'll see.

Comment

Working...
                                X