Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Backspace (V2a - September 3rd 2016)

This is a remake of my old UT2004 map DM-1on1-Backspace. A few people have been asking for it, so here it is!

It's 95% the exact same layout as the original. I left out a couple of dodge ramps, since the new movement doesn't work too well with them. I did replace one with a lift, however. Lifts are fun.

Download V2a: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hptkdpxqtm...ditor.pak?dl=0 (85mb)

I agree that this content constitutes a Submission under the Unreal Engine EULA ( https://www.unrealengine.com/eula ).

Changelist:

V2a
    • New art pass using updated Titan Pass assets.

Previous version Changelists:

Code:
    Release candidate 7

• Optimized areas where meshes would extend past or behind walls
    • Overall lighting and post tweaks to brighten some of the darker areas
    • Increased lightmap resolution on select meshes for nicer shadows
    • Remade and simplified a number of blocking volumes
    • Thigh pad platform very sligtly smaller but better constructed
    • Added a few stained ceiling decals
    • Fixed moon disappearing on low video settings
    • "Fixed" spline mesh materials by converting them to .fbx meshes
    • "Fixed" purple and green light from pickups bleeding and causing visual badness
    Release Candidate 7b
    • All changes from RC7 but with a +10% scale increase
    Release Candidate 6 Changelist
    • Brought back the moonlit and more contrasty lighting scheme. Brightened up some areas that needed it.
    • Added god-rays and dust particles for players using high-end system settings.
    • Swapped most rock formations to use the iron-stone material.
    • Added curved metal brackets under some walkways and structural beams.
    • Vertex painted some water onto rocks in the muddy hallway.
    • Adjusted height fog density and colour.
    • Adjusted global post process settings.
    • Added moon in place of the default white sun disc (found in Chill folder).
    • Fixed various misaligned meshes and plugged a hole.
    • Reduced the filesize. I don't know how.
    • Added map description.
    Release Candidate 5 Changelist
    • New lighting setup across whole map.
    • Added leaf piles and GPU particle systems around the map.
    • Changed fire effects for the large torches above the map.
    • New tree mesh for skybox area.
    • Trim and other custom meshes have been rebuilt with better UV maps and lightmapping in mind.
    • Redone and optimized reflection captures across the map.
    • Various small details changed, added and tweaked.
    • New broken wall mesh for a few areas in the map.
    • Tweaked lift speed based on player scale changes.
    • Fixed stone floor material.
    • Fixed various collision issues.
    • Sounds adjusted throughout map.
    • Adjusted post process settings for a more natural result.
    • More performance optimizations.
    Release Candidate 4 Changelist:
    • Flak Cannon and Bio Rifle placement has been swapped, along with nearby ammo.
    • Removed health pickups from the following locations:
      • Ramp leading to stinger (-20 vials)
      • L shaped hallway above belt (-15 vials)
      • Lower corner between Flak Cannon and Shock Rifle (-25 med health)
    • Adjusted positions of remaining vials to force players into the open a little more.
    • Fixed a reflection issue with a metal panel.
    • Added some post process volumes to brighten up the darker interior sections.
    Release Candidate 3 Changelist:
    • Collision holes found and fixed, smoothed out where necessary.
    • Blocking volume ceiling raised substantially.
    • More work on meshes for high/low detail settings.
    • Broke through floors on upper level in two areas (above belt elevator/ramps and stinger room floor).
    • Set movement curve to "Ease in-out" and tweaked timing on elevators.
    • General improvements to lighting accuracy (likely unnoticeable).
    • Dodge ramp by belt now spans the width of the opening.
    • Planks added leading from lowest terrain to courtyard.
    • Central health has been moved back to the center, and the health above the belt elevator removed.
    • Corner leading to the belt (from health ramp) has been ironed out and is now a curved wall.
    • More vertex painted puddles and dirt.
    • Plenty more tiny things added, taken away, and then put back again.
    Release Candidate 2 Changelist:
    • Redid all blocking volumes (yes, all) taking into account weapon and player collision where necessary.
    • Reduced height of cover beams on the thigh pads platform.
    • Reduced height of two of the large towers in the main courtyard. Sight-lines are still blocked across the top level of the map.
    • Windows added in the walls between stinger and thigh pads area.
    • Adjusted many trim placements and other geometry to line up better.
    • Couple of new meshes for walkways.
    • Can now get under the walkway by sniper without needing to crouch or slide.
    • Lift below the sniper is slightly faster.
    • Lifts use wooden lift sounds instead of the defaults.
    • Edited my trim meshes, vertices are now snapped to the grid properly. This helped a lot when doing a pass on blocking volumes & collision in general.
    • Used RattleSN4K3's map scaling blueprint to scale up by a factor of 1.02.
    • Many more minor tweaks and polish.
    Release Candidate 1 Changelist:
    • Adjusted the back corner corridor to allow for better flow up onto the ledge, removed unnecessary dodge ramp on the corner.
    • Added extra composition details like metal clasps and chains, boards, etc.
    • Created some custom terrain meshes, to replace some high-poly scaled up rocks.
    • Created a few custom trim and detail pieces, replaced most existing trims and beams with these.
    • More floor and ceiling meshes simplified wherever possible.
    • Fixed UV seam on floor in central area.
    • Found lots more holes in the blocking volumes, fixed them.
    • Added a music track.
    • More work on ambient sound effects, including some crackling torches.
    • Falling off the map will now result in a more appropriate death message.
    • Lots more small bugs found and fixed.
    • More decals and polish on all the things!
    Beta 004 Changelist:
    • Overall directional and ambient lighting has been polished further. I feel like it's in a good spot right now, aside from potential small tweaks.
    • Material and mesh swaps to help with lighting and readability.
    • More optimizations! :D
    • More fixes! :D
    • More chains!! :eek:
    Beta 003 Changelist:
    • Continued mesh optimizations, draw calls now average around 850 in the worst spots.
    • Simplified more floor geometry where detail wasn't needed, for performance as well as visual clarity.
    • Painted some extra detail onto surfaces using the vertex paint tool.
    • Fixed many instances of z-fighting.
    • Plugged some holes that needed plugging.
    • Overall saturation of the yellow lighting has been lowered to ease the eyes.
    • Less-is-more pass done on the total number and positioning of torches.
    • Opened up the thigh-pads platform slightly, as suggested.
    • Dodge ramps are more solid and reliable.
    • Glowing arrows no longer glowing.
    • Swapped the backdrop fog rays for planes that blend into the sky nicely.
    • Added spectator camera spots, all with unique names!
    • Continued general polish on all aspects of the map.
    Beta 002 Changelist:
    • Addressed most concerns and feedback posted since the last build.
    • Lighting saturation and brightness of some areas has been toned down, while previously darker areas have received a boost.
    • Upped lightmap resolutions where it seemed necessary.
    • Reflection capture positions have been adjusted and new ones have been added.
    • Continued work on blocking volume coverage and accuracy.
    • Added extra details in areas that were lacking visual interest.
    • Replaced a lot of trim pieces and other geometry (floors, ceilings, etc.) with merged and lower poly meshes.
    • The stack of bricks in back corner hallway has been removed, and a small dodge ramp has been added nearby to allow quicker access to the raised floor.
    • Red arrows added around the elevators to better call them out.
    • Sweet light rays added to the backdrop scenes as well as some basic ambient lighting.
    Beta 001 Changelist:
    • All BSP now replaced with static meshes.
    • Full pass on blocking volumes for major geometry.
    • Optimized navmesh for AI, now only covers actual gameplay space.
    • Tweaked timing on lifts.
    • Added a few ambient sounds.
    • Cull distance set on many small objects.
    • Vest platform and jump pad wall adjusted to fit better with the castle assets.
    • Lighting colours and post FX adjustments.
    • Many, many more small tweaks and polish.
    Alpha 007 Changelist: -- Alpha 006 Changelist: -- Alpha 005 Changelist:
    • Started work on art side of things. Castle themed.
    • Adding thigh pads above link gun area.
    • More adjustments to overall scale and flow.
    Alpha 004 Changelist:
    • Further work towards making each area of the map more identifiable.
    • Grate below chest armour allows weapon fire to pass through.
    • Weapon placements tweaked around changed geometry.
    • Drop down added above vials in the shield belt corridor.
    • Adjusted top-mid paths around stinger & link gun.
    Alpha 003 Changelist:
    • Many changes to geometry and area dimensions.
    • More distinct lighting for each area.
    • Dodge ramp height and angle adjusted.
    • Added some meshes to indicate potential wall-riding paths.
    Alpha 002 Changelist:
    • Widened and expanded some of the tighter areas, in particular around the rocket launhcer and double health packs.
    • Added back some of the dodge ramps from the original map.
    • Opened up the wall beside the flak cannon.
    • Other small changes to ammo placement and geometry in general.
    Alpha 001 Changelist:
    • Inital Release

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Last edited by Scinbed; 09-03-2016, 11:15 PM.
    DM-Kosko (A04) | DM-Backspace (Released!) | DM-Veracity (A01)| DM-Smog (A01) | DM-Conflux (A02)

YES!!!! this map was great back in the day!

Comment

(10chars)
      :|

Comment

This map reminds me of an old UT99 Lego themed map. That map was fun, this one has the same sort of blocky look and the gameplay is kind of similar too!

Comment

New version up: https://ut.rushbase.net/Scinbed/DM-Backspace

Alpha 002 Changelist:
          Widened and expanded some of the tighter areas, in particular around the rocket launhcer and double health packs.
          Added back some of the dodge ramps from the original map.
          Opened up the wall beside the flak cannon.
          Other small changes to ammo placement and geometry in general.
          DM-Kosko (A04) | DM-Backspace (Released!) | DM-Veracity (A01)| DM-Smog (A01) | DM-Conflux (A02)

Comment

ut2004 simply can't be in new unreal tournament, dodge jump is limitation. Elevators/jump pads won't fix anything, and will only brake map balance in competitive duel scene.

Comment

Bass3 no idea what you're talking about. Lift combat is the #1 exciting thing about this game. Wall slide is more than adequate enough to replace dodge jumps for traversal.

Comment

Slain, you legend

Comment

Working on a couple of larger changes to this map, to get some of it feeling less maze-like and fit a little better with the new movement.

Some screenshots: http://i.imgur.com/9qphVAH.png http://i.imgur.com/W86ePNf.png

I'm also adding in guide meshes to show off some potential wall riding options (top middle of the second screenshot, for example).

In regards to UT2004 maps not working in UT4... Well, sure, they are quite different games. I would rather make (and see) new maps for the new game.

That being said, I don't see why this can't be adjusted and adapted to work. Hopefully I can get this version to a stage where it feels like a fun map in it's own right, without duct-taped solutions catering to mechanics from another game.

Comment

Originally posted by Numb.51 View Post
                    Bass3 no idea what you're talking about. Lift combat is the #1 exciting thing about this game. Wall slide is more than adequate enough to replace dodge jumps for traversal.
                    Any professional dueler will can answer you why. Simply by putting elevator or jump pad, they make alot of noise, and you are able to tell where your opponent is. I don't know what places he replaced in backspace, but i know place where he might have do it, like in area where 2x25 health packs are, there is a ramp, new ut you can't use that ramp it will need to be replaced, and I will know enemy is there by hearing elevator/jump pad sound.
                    Hope you understand.
                    This map has been in almost all duel cups I played, and its very hard to control it cause its large. One extra elevator can break things, and I will know where enemy is and easly predict his movement!

Comment

Originally posted by bass3 View Post
                      Any professional dueler will can answer you why. Simply by putting elevator or jump pad, they make alot of noise, and you are able to tell where your opponent is. I don't know what places he replaced in backspace, but i know place where he might have do it, like in area where 2x25 health packs are, there is a ramp, new ut you can't use that ramp it will need to be replaced, and I will know enemy is there by hearing elevator/jump pad sound.
                      Hope you understand.
                      This map has been in almost all duel cups I played, and its very hard to control it cause its large. One extra elevator can break things, and I will know where enemy is and easly predict his movement!
                      I understand your concerns.

The only extra elevator is by the entrance to the shield belt corridor, it allows you to lift-jump to the sniper or the walkways around it. The other dodge ramps work fine, but with a shorter height than the originals.

If you get the chance to play it, please let me know what you think!

Comment

Will be good to color-code different areas of map with colored lights and\or textures.

Comment

New version uploaded: https://ut.rushbase.net/Scinbed/DM-Backspace

Alpha 003 Changelist:

Many changes to geometry and area dimensions.
                          More distinct lighting for each area.
                          Dodge ramp height and angle adjusted.
                          Added some meshes to indicate potential wall-riding paths.

Enjoy!

Comment

Hey man, looking good!

We ran a small playtest on this the other day (4 player FFA which worked quite nicely. No duel though, so keep that in mind ), some feedback that came out of that:
                            • Item/weapon placement was fun/effective
                              • especially vest/belt worked well and had nice setups around it

• A lot of the different sections/hallways have very similar spacing and dimensions going on
                              • i.e. everything just seems very evenly laid out with no real emphasis on bigger vs small spaces which makes it feel a bit maze-y
                              • The open area around the flak/sniper is a nice breather but I wonder if you couldn't give the map some better cadence here in that regard
                              • Would also help in the long run to help make the various areas a bit more identifiable

• Navigating the sniper ledge felt a bit clunky with multiple drop downs

Not much else to go on without actually playing some 1on1s, but looking forward to more, we had a good time on it

Comment

Originally posted by Clawfist View Post
                              Hey man, looking good!

We ran a small playtest on this the other day (4 player FFA which worked quite nicely. No duel though, so keep that in mind ), some feedback that came out of that:
                              • Item/weapon placement was fun/effective
                                • especially vest/belt worked well and had nice setups around it

• A lot of the different sections/hallways have very similar spacing and dimensions going on
                                • i.e. everything just seems very evenly laid out with no real emphasis on bigger vs small spaces which makes it feel a bit maze-y
                                • The open area around the flak/sniper is a nice breather but I wonder if you couldn't give the map some better cadence here in that regard
                                • Would also help in the long run to help make the various areas a bit more identifiable

• Navigating the sniper ledge felt a bit clunky with multiple drop downs

Not much else to go on without actually playing some 1on1s, but looking forward to more, we had a good time on it
                              Thanks for playing, and good feedback!

I have some ideas for area variation in mind. I'll admit it's still quite close to the rigid subtractive-CSG UT2k4 incarnation, so plenty of room for adjustment!

Will probably get back to this on the weekend and post up some changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X