No announcement yet.

DM-Coma - A015 - UT 0.1.12.1 cook

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ty insomnaut! Reloaded & Locked onto the LoPing Arena. (Just waiting on the re-allocation of the server)
    LoPing
    Explosive High Voltage UT99

Comment

My clan and I really enjoyed this map. It was one of the main maps we played while playing Last Team Standing.
      I have to say, the overall layout is still great. A couple things I did not like however - and since you wanted feedback:

1. The map feels way different now with the scale having been upped. Consider using Rattlesnake's map scaler.
      2. The new materials while shell materials and temporary, is making your map feel way busier than it is I think. The sheer number of vertical and horizontal brick lines is making it difficult to sometimes see where hallways begin and end. A new change of materials completely may help this, or better lighting to distinguish the rooms and hallways.
      3. I know these were experimental, but not a big fan of the teleporters. The map is small enough to where you don't need them. More importantly, the map layout is already so good you don't need them. In my opinion, the teleporters add just a little too much you can do to escape when there were already plenty of ways to before. Also, they teleport you to places that feel a bit random. I and my clan would prefer you remove the teleports and re-release the PAK.
      4. I actually think where the vest before was really nice.

That said, I think removing the jump pad in favor of a slope dodge was a good way to go. Way more elegant than the previous jump pad you were using as it always felt really awkward.
      Overall, still one of my favorite map layouts to play on. Made not currently one of my favorite maps, period, because of said teleports.

Hope I wasn't too harsh. I really do like the map.
      ON-GOING PROJECTS: DM-BloodCovenant, DM-Campgrounds (Absolute)
      CONTACT & TWITCH: Absolute Discord
      , Twitch

Comment

insomnaut just a few words of advice,

1) update your top post of the thread to have the most up-to-date map.
        Users don't always scroll through thread.
        I typically keep an edit history at the bottom of my updated threads

2) do a post each time something new is available so that people who are subscribed to the thread get notified.
        I notice you've done that already.

I'll have a quick run around your map later today. I just saw your link in #utmodders @ GlobalGamers - IRC
        Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

!!!Awesome map!!!

1) Generally I am a fan of higher slops, x/y=200uu z=400uu, but its up to you!
          I would only suggest to keep consistent angles in all slopes.

2) link slope: Don’t lower the whole slope. Break it into individual parts and folow the elevation and angles.

3) Shield belt: either add blocking volume (if you don’t want to make changes)
          or move the belt inside the wall and create a sloped cylinder and place the pickup vertically.

4) Chest: You can also add a similar slope set-up to the link gun.
          But keep the wood/metal design and block it to be smooth.

5)Not a fan of the teleporter in general. The ideal setup for me is what CaptainMigrane did in Deep.
          I would suggest putting a one way tp with the entrance near the flak. The 45 degree wall you already have is ideal. The exit will be above.

6) Sniper can have a cylindrical ledge behind. This requires to increase the height of the walls around the spot.

7) You can connect (by adding a small room) the walls behind the minigun and maybe put the thighs there.
          Visually it can become a balcony.

8) Three vials spot. Kinda tight for a slope. It needs lots of wall-busting to fit something there imo.

9) I experienced frame drops too. It shouldn’t happen will pure bsp maps.
          I think the reason might be that bsp doesn’t mix well with transparent materials (wall text BP, telep fx etc.).

Keep it up! The map is really great.
          Maps:||DM-TournamentGrounds||CTF-TitanGuard||DM-RelentlessMachine||
          Weapons:||Tridium Impaler||

Comment

So far, the map is available on a few hubs:
            - [PL] Stand Combo Hub by oLEq
            - [PL] forum.unreal.pl @ tomz.pl
            - Absolute (Atlanta)
            - Absolute (Roubaix)
            - -=AW=- Aggressive Warriors ~ Community Playground
            - [PHX] Phoenix Germany
            - Seniors Nirvana .sr [Dallas]
            - Unreal Carnage.com HUB [Dallas]
            - UnrealPrime.com - France #1
            - UnrealPrime.com - Chicago #ut4pugs megaserver
            - UnrealPrime.com - Sydney #1 (via Custom tab, no vote probably)
            - UnrealPrime.com - US-West #1
            - #UT4.eu - UK
            - #UT4.eu - France
            - (Dallas) BloodBath
            - *** UTzone.de *** HUBzone

All these are XP hubs. I updated OP to include this list.

The only server I know of is:
            - LoPing Arena server (though it's not showing up on server browser)

Thanks to respective admins - your job guys is essential!

Thanks for initial feedback on the current version. Keep it guys coming!
            I'll let the map sit untouched on hubs for a while to let everyone get familiar with it, but I will be back working on it in a few days.

Originally posted by barsam2a View Post
            Can't wait to play the new version online.
            It's online! I hope you'll have a good time playing it!

Originally posted by DutchSmoke View Post
            Ty insomnaut! Reloaded & Locked onto the LoPing Arena. (Just waiting on the re-allocation of the server)
            Thanks!

Originally posted by Trinatek View Post
            Hope I wasn't too harsh. I really do like the map.
            Wasn't too harsh, I'm fine. That's the feedback I was asking for
            First off - thanks for putting the map on your hubs!

I saw you guys playing LTS a couple of times (via recorded demos) and I was quite afraid how you'd react to the new version. Mostly because of that 2-way teleport as I somehow felt it may break things in team games. I added it with a duel in mind, for 3 main reasons:
            - To upvalue the room with biorifle. The previous version felt to me like "no real need going to the lowest floor".
            - The belt area on the previous version felt like too easy to camp and defend. Also, some players liked to just sit in the corner and wait in wall-surrounded safety. That's why the area has gotten a major overhaul (and also thanks to Clawfist's feedback) - to make it more open and vulnerable to attacks. The teleport exit above the flak was supposed to reinforce that idea, though it might be too much indeed.
            - To speed things up and provide more options - as I wasn't sure if the map offers enough options for player to navigate and to position oneself vs the enemy. Also, the map seemed sometimes like it was too big so I wanted to try and see if that teleport setup can add more dynamism.

Most of these thoughts were pre-4.11 build, so their accuracy has changed. Also, I might be wrong whatsoever, so I welcome everybody to point me this out. So far, it looks like almost no one liked 2-way teleport idea so more likely it will not remain as it is now.

The map feels way different, indeed. It's not much bigger, I added that one new link gun route, but the funny thing is the scale hasn't been upped, it is downed a bit. I remodeled areas, made them more open and this results in that feeling like the map has grown a bit. I used map scaler before the release of A004 and currently it is reduced to 95%. Here a side by side layout comparison, in the same scale, based on top-down shots of navmeshes:

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

I can scale it down a little bit, nothing radical though, to leave enough space for fight, comboes etc.
            Speaking of more busy wall texture - yeah - I guess I see where it may be an issue. One half of the map (sniper to belt, flak) has temporary lighting and poor details, gets monotous and dull.

(We've been chatting while I was writing it, but I'll leave my reply for others to see and discuss.)

Originally posted by richardboegli View Post
            insomnaut[/URL] just a few words of advice,
            I was sure I followed this advice before you gave it to me, seriously Thanks anyway! Every word of advice is appreciated.

Originally posted by darksinn3r View Post
            Keep it up! The map is really great.
            Thanks darksinn3r!

Good points and ideas worth consideration. I had some of them in mind, some others have been suggested to me already - like shield belt vertical placement or slope setup behind the chest armor. There was a slope behind the shieldbelt (and the shieldbelt placed perpendicularly) at some point of development, but I thought it wasn't working well enough. The flow was weird and the lack of natural starting point for wallruns has led me to remove the slope. Though, I like the idea of slope behind the chest armor. It's there currently, but definitely not working well enough.

Sniper area and three vials spot nearby both need more work, indeed. Three vials spot slope was a last second addition and I'm not proud of how it is now. Will try to remodel whole wall up there and provide some more surface.
            I am not a fan of teleporters either. I see them as continuity breakers, difficult to follow for spectators etc. I needed a reason to convince myself to add them - you may find it in my reply to Trinatek. I am not 100% sure these reasons are right, though.

Frame drops have surprised me. I am 90% sure they started to occur after the 4.11 build. I've removed all the text and tested again, but found no significant relation. You seem to be right about teleporter fx - it doesn't mix well with reflective materials (that metal rim). Teleporter have all its components set as 'movable', so they may be handled as a fully dynamic objects with dynamic reflections on metal material. If nothing helps, I will replace metal material near the teleport with something non reflective.

Cheers!
            Last edited by insomnaut; 02-27-2016, 08:56 AM. Reason: hub list update
            @insomnaut aka charon / DM-Coma / ArmorWare

Comment

Originally posted by insomnaut
              It's online! I hope you'll have a good time playing it!
              Thx, really like the changes you made! super-fun map
              WIP - Maps (UT - Build 0.1.12.1): https://goo.gl/v8ze8Y
              Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/barsam2a

Comment

Originally posted by insomnaut View Post
                So far, the map is available on a few hubs:
                I can scale it down a little bit, nothing radical though, to leave enough space for fight, comboes etc.
                Speaking of more busy wall texture - yeah - I guess I see where it may be an issue. One half of the map (sniper to belt, flak) has temporary lighting and poor details, gets monotous and dull.
                I actually meant consider making the scale *slightly* bigger, since the models have increased in size and it feels a bit more cramped than before
                ON-GOING PROJECTS: DM-BloodCovenant, DM-Campgrounds (Absolute)
                CONTACT & TWITCH: Absolute Discord
                , Twitch

Comment

A004 is up on the UC Hub. Great map! Will try to give feedback later.
                  Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Originally posted by Trinatek View Post
                    I actually meant consider making the scale *slightly* bigger, since the models have increased in size and it feels a bit more cramped than before
                    Oh, I thought you were referring to the map scale, not the characters/players size. Thanks for clarifying this. Then I may drop the map scaler, we'll see.

Originally posted by M^uL View Post
                    A004 is up on the UC Hub. Great map! Will try to give feedback later.
                    I've just seen your replay demo and was going to thank you via PM
                    Unreal Carnage HUB added to the hublist in OP. Thanks MauL!
                    Last edited by insomnaut; 02-23-2016, 03:13 AM.

Comment

This map just got even better. Really liking the progress!

I think the scaling feels about right. The teleporter feels a bit off (but it's always good to experiment!). Actualy, maybe you may want to keep it on the bottom floor, so it will become a one-way path? Often you will get in that room from one side, and you'll have two ways to get to higher ground: The lift and the teleporter. Here, it really adds value. It's only the one on the top floor that feels a bit unnecessary.

I'm also wondering what you will be doing with the sniper room. I liked in the old version where you had these strikes of light shining between wooden beams, it had great spirit even in that early stage. Maybe you could add this again. Maybe you could also add vines or other plants, really giving the spirit like it's the canopy of a tree.

In general, I'm also really enjoying the colour scheme. I hope you'll keep the wooden elements (of course with non-placeholder versions).

Comment

after some plays - rocket launcher AND sniper rifle AND thighpads spawning right next to each other is a bit op imo

Comment

This map has a good flow to it. Scaling feels good too. Nice job, one of the better maps around along with erase.

Only concern after a few games was that armor and belt are too close together ( portal etc ) which makes control too easy for the in control player. You can cycle back and fourth from sb to armor and not worry about anything else.

If I remember correctly the shock rifle was beside armor, perhaps moving that away might help.
                          Last edited by biggamer21; 02-23-2016, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Thank you guys for comments!

I've decided to not introduce any major changes to the map before ESL cups, but I'll keep an eye on the issues mentioned, hoping to receive even more gameplay-wise feedback after the cups.
                            The map had really nice playcounts recently - it was played so often I wasn't able to watch all the replays in time, though I've been trying ;D

The 2/29/2016 game build requires to have all custom maps recooked, so here is a new DM-Coma pak for you:

DM-Coma_A005-WindowsNoEditor.pak

Also, some minor yet important tweaks had to be done:
                            - RL-lift liftjumps improved,
                            - fixed blocking volumes behind Armor Vest - no jumping up on the shelves above the armor allowed anymore,
                            - 1 health vial added above the Thigh Pads (now 4),
                            - most of the text on walls have been removed or hidden,
                            - hopefully (not sure yet) fixed teleport glitch - both teleports setup was causing player's direction to be messed up sometimes.

The latest game build solved some other issues noticed on the previous map version:
                            - performance drops near the bottom teleporter are gone (solid 60fps on epic settings instead of ~30-40 on medium),
                            - seemingly improved player capsule -vs- geometry collision (slope dodges seems much smoother and less glitchy than before).

OP has been updated with latest pak download link and server ini lines.
                            Last edited by insomnaut; 02-29-2016, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Ty insomnaut! Reloaded onto the LoPing for your enjoyment. (Servers not listed but hopefully this will be fixed soon.)
                              LoPing
                              Explosive High Voltage UT99

Comment

hm teleport really needs to go, besides the already mentioned problem of easiness of belt/100 control, you can also get telefragged there (happened to me yesterday). don't think there's place for telefrags in duel : D

Comment

Working...
                                X